Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

MonsieurChoc posted:

Okay, hear me out. Fallout: Florida.

Some group or another is making a Fallout 4 mod for Miami.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

If Dead Money is bad, how come it is actually good?? Huh?? Atheists??

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

MonsieurChoc posted:

How would this be different then regular florida? :confused:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Xand_Man posted:

How would this be different then regular florida? :confused:

More plasma pistols, mostly

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

We've already seen Bethesda do swamp fallout, I think they'd need to really step up their environmental design. I'm not sure if there's any videogame swamps out there that are very good in general.

Also they'd probably have to figure out what kind of vehicles postapocalyptic societies should have, because there ain't no way you can realistically have a lot of swamp poo poo without boats.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

Also they'd probably have to figure out what kind of vehicles postapocalyptic societies should have, because there ain't no way you can realistically have a lot of swamp poo poo without boats.

Very buggy cars, obviously

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
“Hey gently caress you i ain’t no ghoul i’m an honest meth-head”

“Hey gently caress you i ain’t no meth head i’m a ghoul who happens to be a crack head”

-Fallout florida

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

SlothfulCobra posted:

Airboats!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Boats are pretty insulated against loss of tech.

You're attacked by super mutants rowing a longboat with a ram on it so they can attack other boats and people on bridges/shores/piers/raft walk ways.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

“Hey gently caress you i ain’t no ghoul i’m an honest meth-head”

“Hey gently caress you i ain’t no meth head i’m a ghoul who happens to be a crack head”

-Fallout florida

Any Fallout florida would have to be even more drug soaked than normal. No one trust you unless you're currently some sort of drug cocktail.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Oh I should have said that you shouldn’t take companions on a jinxed run in F1

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

CommissarMega posted:

I loved all of Dead Money- the rat's warren of streets, the gas, the vault, everything was delightfully tense. For me, it was Honest Hearts that disappointed. Don't get me wrong, the story bits were great, but wandering miles and miles of bloody nothing but dirt and weeds was really taking its toll on my patience.
I feel like Honest Hearts and Old World Blues are almost mirror images of each other. OWB has tons of interesting locations to explore, each with something interesting inside and fun story beats that lay the groundwork for later DLC adventues but the main story is fairly direct and dull and there are essentially no side stories ('Hey, wanna go get all the AIs for your room?' is pretty much it). Where Honest Hearts has an actually interesting main story and main DLC plot characters and the DLC companions both get fairly engaging mini quests and there's stuff like the Survivalist too but the area is basically empty and almost none of the Zion map points have anything to collect or interact with at all.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

And the flip side is that Zion is a beautiful map with interesting geometry being filled with nothing much and the Big MT is an ugly flat circle filled with semi interesting poo poo.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Joshua and the Survivalist carry HH. It's fun going in light but it's entirely them

whydirt posted:

Oh I should have said that you shouldn’t take companions on a jinxed run in F1

The problem is that no one I want to kill is getting hosed

Though Ian's now on his third smg lmao

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
iirc there were two DLC teams, one worked on Dead Money, Old World Blues and Lonesome Road, the other worked on patches for the base game and Honest Hearts. Probably a lot of cross pollination, but regardless my understanding is that OWB could have more detail and little things in it because it had more dev time and less time spent hair-tearingly trying to stop the game crashing when you buy pistol powder from Vendortron

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Honest hearts made me decide to visit Zion in person. OWB, while very enjoyable at the time, did not even make me want to revisit it in a video game.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Lonesome Road is the worst of the DLCs and it's not even close. The only reason to do that pile of garbage is to get gear to take back into actually interesting content.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I'm wrapping up a melee runthrough right now and blazed through Old World Blues with a ripper and had zero problems. Easiest expansion ever if you have a weapon that ignores armor.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Ironslave posted:

Some group or another is making a Fallout 4 mod for Miami.

how many dirty barefoot slaves named america will there be

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
Lonesome Road is great, has great scenery in the exact inverse way of Honest Hearts, and gives us an endgame death march(in a very easy game that sorely needs it) and a story and philosophy that fits both the larger game and the setting (so did the others, OWB the least, but most games with DLC campaigns or content are terrible so)

opinions on that story are mixed at best, my own included, but most criticisms I've heard are blown way out of proportion or are basically nonsense

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lonesome Road's story is very cool until you think about it at all, then it's very funny and thus still worth doing. It's a very good DLC.

OWB is neat but I find it very tedious to go through again in the same way that Mothership Zeta is. I usually skip both on repeats though OWB has a lot of fun dialogue.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
My favorite build is stealthy sniper so every time I do Lonesome Road I go through a few of the scripted perfect vision encounters and make the same face as the guy who chases you down if you shoot that memorial.

>:|

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I love all the DLCs. No skips.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

owb is cool because that one old dead scientist thinks i have ten dicks

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

cash crab posted:

owb is cool because that one old dead scientist thinks i have ten dicks

So I'm assuming the old dead scientists were correct?

They usually are.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

i don’t want to brag

side note lonesome road was my favourite because it was super overwhelming and then at the end I accidentally nuked the ncr because i skipped a bunch of dialogue because i had to go to work

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

SlothfulCobra posted:

Also they'd probably have to figure out what kind of vehicles postapocalyptic societies should have
Hats of some sort, I'd presume.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Dead Money is my favourite but...

2house2fly posted:

I love all the DLCs. No skips.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

beep beep beep beep beep beep

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Does shooting Follows Chalk count as skipping HH?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I accidentally shoot that dickhole every single time.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
He really should of been wearing one of those orange safety visits!

This goes for any friendly NPC that doesn't want to be shot to be honest.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I've only played Honest Hearts once, and I felt like I got locked into conversation with Follows-Chalk before I could have shot him on accident. I don't understand how so many people kill him on accident, but it's been years since I've played.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
iirc there was actually a change at some point to lock you into the conversation with him that limits the chance to off him, but it's still more than doable.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yeah, at that point you're sort of used to people just popping up and trying to kill you, so it's pretty common for people to put a bullet in him basically as soon as he's at all visible.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

The problem is that no one I want to kill is getting hosed

Though Ian's now on his third smg lmao

Wait, why? I'm more familiar with FO2 but I don't remember weapons breaking. Did he drop them or something?

VV: Huh, I genuinely hadn't encountered that, had no idea. Then again I never did Jinxed so that makes sense.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Mar 16, 2024

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

A critical failure can destroy one's gun

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

The main point of a jinxed run from a min/max perspective is to abuse the assymetry of fighting unarmed since you can’t lose ammo/drop your weapon/spray allies with bullets while enemy NPCs have to deal with those. Bringing companions with guns gets rid of that advantage.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

whydirt posted:

The main point of a jinxed run from a min/max perspective is to abuse the assymetry of fighting unarmed since you can’t lose ammo/drop your weapon/spray allies with bullets while enemy NPCs have to deal with those. Bringing companions with guns gets rid of that advantage.

Yeah, but also, the enemies with guns haven't cared so far and that makes life really hard when I keep breaking my arm punching myself in the head so I had to call them up anyway

Ian remains the greatest threat to Vault 13. I forgot Katja even existed lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

What’s your luck?