Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MonsieurChoc posted:

Fallout 1 and 2 on steam run way better than Fallout 3.

Bring back Games For Windows Live*

*don't do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
When you think about it, Fallout: New Vegas is the Fallout 2 of Fallout.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The called the sixth Fallout Fallout 4

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

ready for fallout one: series fallout

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Serperoth posted:

Are the GOG versions patched? I know GOG takes some steps to get the games running better on modern machines, but no idea what they've done for Fallout specifically

The only differences between the GOG and Steam versions are that GOG enables the Large Address Awareness (fnv4gb should still be used for other stuff) flag and removes Steam integration. Otherwise there's nothing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

drat, looking around for info on Fallout 2 patches/mods and No Mutants Allowed is still not just alive but pretty active. Always fun to run across an old-rear end website that's still going strong. Even if it is NMA.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Discendo Vox posted:

When you think about it, Fallout: New Vegas is the Fallout 2 of Fallout.

i've been saying this

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Really more of the Vice City to 3's 3

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

RBA Starblade posted:

The called the sixth Fallout Fallout 4

The Fallout games in the Western US are called 1, 2, and New Vegas. The Fallout games in the Eastern US are called 3, 4, and 76.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Fallout Brotherhood of Steel is canon and a core part of the main series

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Chamale posted:

The Fallout games in the Western US are called 1, 2, and New Vegas. The Fallout games in the Eastern US are called 3, 4, and 76.

so they're going to release 5 in the western series and then 8 in the eastern series as the next two games, it looks like.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

fobos, bitch

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

I was thinking about it and I do think that, in 2024, if I was going to limit myself to playing only one of the DLC in a playthrough I probably would end up picking Dead Money. For me it is the most fun and engaging but it feels very hard to give up Old World Blues.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

hawowanlawow posted:

love the dangly legs and arms held out for balance when the 3500lb power armor is hovering

GTA: SA jetpack looking-rear end poo poo.

rear end poo poo.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

NorgLyle posted:

I was thinking about it and I do think that, in 2024, if I was going to limit myself to playing only one of the DLC in a playthrough I probably would end up picking Dead Money. For me it is the most fun and engaging but it feels very hard to give up Old World Blues.

if I had to only do one it would be Lonesome Road, because it feels like a final act to the main storyline in so many ways. Second choice would be Dead Money though, you're right.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Old World Blues, but entirely for the immunity to poison.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Really, it's hard to limit yourself to just one DLC. Honest Hearts is kind of skippable for various reasons, but the other three really bring a lot to the table and form their own narrative alongside the shipped main storyline.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I've seen it written before that most New Vegas fans think there are three good DLCs and one bad one, but can't agree on which is which. I think I enjoy Lonesome Road the most out of all the DLC, because it's a good challenge for a high-level character. Old World Blues has the funniest writing, but that isn't too important for a repeat playthrough.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

After the dozenth replay, I'd rather listen to Ulysses talk than the Think Tank.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Lonesome Road is my least favorite but I wouldn't say it is bad. It's just boring and there aren't any meaningful choices during the entire run. You could argue, I guess, that the missile targeting choice is meaningful but it doesn't actually do anything in game or have any effect, even on dialogue, in the real story.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Part of my problem with Dead Money is that you're locked in for the duration and I haven't played through it enough to zip through an optimal path. Also, it's not fun enough for me to play to make that happen. The writting and the setting are perfectly enjoyable though.

HH I usually hit pretty early. It doesn't take much time and the loot is worth a quick run if HH doesn't mesh with my role play.

Lonesome road I've started to go into early, then back to the Mojave once I accomplish what I want. It being so linear and each section having a clear start and end point helps that along.

Old World Blues is fine for slightly before end game content. Once I'm at that stage, the perks of robotisizing (sp?) myself aren't worth it, but leveling up strength and melee for proton axe action is fun enough. Coming back from The Big Empty with a totally different fighting style than previous, then demolishing the Legion in the final fight seems on point.

All this makes it hard to rank the DLC. Each one has it's place in every playthrough. Depends on how my character in any given run would feel.

I don't like Dead Money as much as the others. That's a softening of my viewpoint on initially playing it. Good as I'm probably gonna get.

Maybe I'm just overthinking how I feel about constantly replaying a game that came out 14 years ago, and the ways in which I do it to entertain myself.
Good problem to have.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Byzantine posted:

Old World Blues, but entirely for the immunity to poison.

Same. I do like the writing well enough for multiple playthroughs, but I hate cazadors even more.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Chamale posted:

I've seen it written before that most New Vegas fans think there are three good DLCs and one bad one, but can't agree on which is which.

Interestingly I played though Old World Blues and then bounced off Dead Money so hard I just quit playing New Vegas.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I found liked each DLC but thought each had unique headache inducing features

DM - No place to rest except the police station, baffling map, frantic jumping and sprinting at the end

HH - at higher levels the enemies are ridiculously powerful, map is so small you find yourself wandering into a new cell and triggering an attack

OWB - ridiculous number of respawns of enemies (congrats on clearing out that building - here are 6 roboscorpions or nightstalkers to welcome you on your exit)

Lonesome Road - on a rail, having to launch a nuke even if you don’t want to, listening to Ulysses

But I like them all

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Yeah I love them all, and replay em all every playthru. Dead Money is definitely my favorite as I think it's drat near perfect. The rest have their strengths and weaknesses, but are still worthwhile for one reason or another.

Honest Hearts is kinda :eek: regarding the native american stuff, but a cool world space and its neat finally meeting Joshua Graham after hearing the legends around him. :allears:

Old World Blues can get tiring with all the waaaaacky dialogue and ambushes, but again, still a really cool world space to explore. I think Big MT might be my favorite NV location from a *nerd voice* lore perspective.

Lonesome Road is basically Obsidian doing a Besthesda style DLC in an actually engaging way. Not the deepest experience by any means but doesn't have to be. It's just a fun and challenging final combat gauntlet before the end of the game.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Well this is a pisser.
Played Tale of Two Wastelands a year or so back, but got distracted before the big battle.
Jumped back in now, finished up FO3 and headed to New Vegas.
At Primm and cant get Ed-E because Dogmeat is somehow still my companion even though he went back to 101 and was never officially dismissed.
As far as I can tell my only option is to wait until I eventually get to Vegas and take the train back to DC, dismiss and then train back to Vegas.
No companions until then though.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

OgNar posted:

Well this is a pisser.
Played Tale of Two Wastelands a year or so back, but got distracted before the big battle.
Jumped back in now, finished up FO3 and headed to New Vegas.
At Primm and cant get Ed-E because Dogmeat is somehow still my companion even though he went back to 101 and was never officially dismissed.
As far as I can tell my only option is to wait until I eventually get to Vegas and take the train back to DC, dismiss and then train back to Vegas.
No companions until then though.

Unless TTW changes it you get 1 human and 1 non-human companion in New Vegas, so you'd still be able to recruit Boone/Veronica/etc. on your way to New Vegas. That being said, I'm pretty sure you can still use console commands to fix your dilemma - this reddit post for instance seems to include some workable instructions. You could also just install an infinite companion mod as well.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Gunrunners should have a terminal there which will hopefully let you dismiss Dogmeat, unless if it only works on New Vegas companions.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Yeah, I think i'll give up until I get to the gunrunners thing to try.
I used the teleport command to get back to vault 101, no Dogmeat, nor at my Megaton house.
Tried teleporting to dogmeat, but seems codes changed, new refid is just dogmeatref.
Teleported to him , he was near where I originally found him.
But he had no companion command circle.
Ended up using the kill command on him, RIP.
But Ed-E still gives me the same weird indicator that Dogmeat is still my companion.

But yeah, I should still be able to pick up Felicia Day.
Truly for NV I usually run with Cass and her drunken shenanigans.
But will have to wait to get her until I get to the Crimson caravan stuff.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Could you use "moveto player" (or was it moveto.player?) to move Dogmeat to you?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
If Dogmeat is screwed up and you can’t interact with him, try giving yourself Puppies!, killing him, and seeing if the puppy is unfucked maybe?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Are gecko armors worth it?

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

OgNar posted:

But Ed-E still gives me the same weird indicator that Dogmeat is still my companion.

Classic bethesda scripting problem. Something has set Dogmeat to hired, but nothing has unset him!

Try running the following two commands in the console:

code:
set VNPCFollowers.bCritterInParty to 0
set VNPCFollowers.bDogmeatHired to 0
ED-E is a "Critter", so bCritterInParty being 0 should be enough to make it recruitable.

Because Dogmeat is a FO3 follower I don't know if he has a simple flag like above, that's complete guesswork. Never played TTW.

Nobody Interesting fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Mar 27, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MonsieurChoc posted:

Are gecko armors worth it?

The reinforced gecko backed armour from Honest Hearts that has fire resistance is a very, very good light armpur.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

The reinforced gecko backed armour from Honest Hearts that has fire resistance is a very, very good light armpur.

I meant the one you can craft, as getting the ingredients look like a pain. Is it the same?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MonsieurChoc posted:

I meant the one you can craft, as getting the ingredients look like a pain. Is it the same?

They're fine, but the honest hearts exclusive one for green gecko hide is the best. They all need to be crafted.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The gecko armour isn't worth it because you need to go into Honest Hearts for it, and there are better suits of armour in that DLC. So if you go to all the trouble of killing three different types of gecko and crafting the stuff with 90 Survival, it'll be obsolete in an hour anyway. The reinforced leather gecko armour is worse than Joshua Graham's armour, and the reinforced metal gecko armour is worse than the Desert Ranger combat armour.

It's still got great stats if you love the appearance of it, but I don't find it worth the effort.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Chamale posted:

The gecko armour isn't worth it because you need to go into Honest Hearts for it, and there are better suits of armour in that DLC. So if you go to all the trouble of killing three different types of gecko and crafting the stuff with 90 Survival, it'll be obsolete in an hour anyway. The reinforced leather gecko armour is worse than Joshua Graham's armour, and the reinforced metal gecko armour is worse than the Desert Ranger combat armour.

It's still got great stats if you love the appearance of it, but I don't find it worth the effort.

Thanks, that'll free some space in my pack.

You really get overloaded face, and even faster in JSawyer. That's why I'm now addicted to all types of alcohol.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

You really get overloaded face, and even faster in JSawyer. That's why I'm now addicted to all types of alcohol.

My playthrough (which I need to get back to) is mostly default, minus using one of the Tweaks mods (came with VNV) to set the carry weight of everything to 0, and just being judicious about it. My main currency is Legion/Raider armour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Nobody Interesting posted:

Classic bethesda scripting problem. Something has set Dogmeat to hired, but nothing has unset him!

Try running the following two commands in the console:

code:
set VNPCFollowers.bCritterInParty to 0
set VNPCFollowers.bDogmeatHired to 0
ED-E is a "Critter", so bCritterInParty being 0 should be enough to make it recruitable.

Because Dogmeat is a FO3 follower I don't know if he has a simple flag like above, that's complete guesswork. Never played TTW.

This worked, thank you.
Had to teleport to Ed-E because he wasnt where he should be.
He was inside the subway station just outside Rivet City, in the Capital Wasteland.
Somehow.
But all is well.
Now to go kill me some old lady in Novac.
Thanks