Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

doesn't the The Neptunia Timeline have a weird thing where even with the remake Nep 1 is standalone and mk2 is the beginning of what all the other games follow up on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Is Idea Factory even still alive? I know NIS managed to hang on and is seemingly on the upswing but it seems like IF hasn't come out with anything after 2017.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

oh right, in recent memory.
most boring jrpg i played was Soul Hackers, such a shame

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

mycot posted:

Is Idea Factory even still alive? I know NIS managed to hang on and is seemingly on the upswing but it seems like IF hasn't come out with anything after 2017.
They have a recent notification on their home page from just a few days ago (it's just announcing operations will be closed for Golden Week), and I think they're maintaining some mobile stuff, but all the real games activity seems to be from their Idea Factory International branch. Wouldn't call them dead as such, though.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
was colony ship good? My understanding was age of decadence was okay but the developer was very hostile to any and all feedback

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
begging someone, anyone to change the thread title, i was just making an off hand joke

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

RPG Thread: Colony Ship is still out!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

like a solid half of this thread loves to talk about how every rpg is bad and ruining the genre except for a small handful of final fantasies (not any of the bad ones that have things like writing or women in them mind you) and dont ever wanna talk about games that are good or interesting or new. kinda weird of them!

in better news, you guys wont believe this but reverse collapse: code name bakery is good

I know this is not necessarily towards me, but I don't have time for a lot of RPGs anymore, tbh so it gets pared down to a few big ones every year like Rebirth, or replays of something quick. I don't play as many weird things these days. Suppose I still have Knuckle Sandwich to go back to now that I'm not stuck in the infinite release year and not replaying a bunch of FFVII games.

I gave money to Eiyuden so I guess I have that to look forward to next. But I still need to play Rising first since it seemed really charming.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Phantasium posted:

I know this is not necessarily towards me, but I don't have time for a lot of RPGs anymore, tbh so it gets pared down to a few big ones every year like Rebirth, or replays of something quick. I don't play as many weird things these days. Suppose I still have Knuckle Sandwich to go back to now that I'm not stuck in the infinite release year and not replaying a bunch of FFVII games.

I gave money to Eiyuden so I guess I have that to look forward to next. But I still need to play Rising first since it seemed really charming.

Rising is fun! It is a game that should be played.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

GateOfD posted:

oh right, in recent memory.
most boring jrpg i played was Soul Hackers, such a shame

The OG or 2

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i did install a bunch of itch io games and some rpgs were among them, i just am not sure when i'll play them. i installed Long Gone Days, Pillars of Dust, Kaiju Big Battel, and Knight Bewitched

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 30, 2024

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Radia posted:

was colony ship good? My understanding was age of decadence was okay but the developer was very hostile to any and all feedback

To be fair to the devs there, Age of Decadence was an extremely specific kind of rpg and a lot of feedback they got was asking to make it not that extremely specific kind of rpg, even though they were so upfront about what it is to the point where they had a demo for it with a caveat that you should absolutely try the demo before buying.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the remake of nep 1 is worse than the og game because the og game is a bad game with writing thats occasionally weird and gonzo enough to be interesting. the remake is a bad game that also has really boring writing

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

which one doesn't let you heal at will

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Prism posted:

I've got a lot of things to say about Paladin's Quest but 'standard' or 'normal' is not one of them.

Yeah that game takes some wild-rear end swings with its style and battle system.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Meowywitch posted:

which one doesn't let you heal at will

That was the first one, where healing is a percentage chance

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

The 7th Guest posted:

i did install a bunch of itch io games and some rpgs were among them, i just am not sure when i'll play them. i installed Long Gone Days, Pillars of Dust, Kaiju Big Battel, and Knight Bewitched

TIL there's a Kaiju Big Battel game, neat!

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

like a solid half of this thread loves to talk about how every rpg is bad and ruining the genre except for a small handful of final fantasies (not any of the bad ones that have things like writing or women in them mind you) and dont ever wanna talk about games that are good or interesting or new. kinda weird of them!

in better news, you guys wont believe this but reverse collapse: code name bakery is good

Sorry, I know I sorta started it up by asking for bad RPGs.

It's weird/dumb, but I actually wanted to play something particularly bad recently, so I asked here.

I've been lately super critical about a lot of games that are really good generally but have some glaring flaw that I focus too much on. I wanted to play a bit of something that just falls apart completely. I guess as a palette cleanser or something like that.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Both Super Nep RPG and Astria Ascending are insanely bad and I have no idea how that studio keeps going, the third game will likely be somehow worse

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Endorph posted:

god for destroying the tower of babel

lol

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

D.Fuzzbot posted:

Sorry, I know I sorta started it up by asking for bad RPGs.

It's weird/dumb, but I actually wanted to play something particularly bad recently, so I asked here.

I've been lately super critical about a lot of games that are really good generally but have some glaring flaw that I focus too much on. I wanted to play a bit of something that just falls apart completely. I guess as a palette cleanser or something like that.

i mean its less about this/the thing the other person who quoted me said and more about the next guy who pops in with their version of the Trails Incest Joke because games can only be defined by their worst qualities and then i go back and look and wow everyone making this joke is just not pleasant to be around lol. and even if one guy gets told off for this it wont stop the next. i would like to read about stuff thats nice and not your tight 5 about which games are fail because theyre not final fantasy 6 or 10.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Radia posted:

Age of Decadence is one of the greatest crpgs of all time. Colony Ship is really good until the last 10% when it just sort of ends. They're still patching Colony Ship and adding content to it but so far the devs have been cagey about whether it was successful enough for the company to stay alive.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Hogama posted:

They have a recent notification on their home page from just a few days ago (it's just announcing operations will be closed for Golden Week), and I think they're maintaining some mobile stuff, but all the real games activity seems to be from their Idea Factory International branch. Wouldn't call them dead as such, though.

They might have been co-devs but IF proper is still listed as developer on three games last year, they're decidedly not "dead" on paper.

God I hope that next Nep title is good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also idea factory's subsidiaries are still making games. there was a nep game less than two years ago.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Their otome division keeps things afloat I think

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

unfortunately the rpg thread doesnt know women play video games yet

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I play games. :( Wikipedia just doesn't list Idea Factory International (or Otomate titles after 2010) at all. Maybe there isn't a Wikipedian for updating articles for B-list RPG studios.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

thats absolutely just bad wikipedia editing, otomates already released like two games this year

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

i mean its less about this/the thing the other person who quoted me said and more about the next guy who pops in with their version of the Trails Incest Joke because games can only be defined by their worst qualities and then i go back and look and wow everyone making this joke is just not pleasant to be around lol. and even if one guy gets told off for this it wont stop the next. i would like to read about stuff thats nice and not your tight 5 about which games are fail because theyre not final fantasy 6 or 10.

Every video game is only its lowest point. Which is why NIER Automata sucks, because 2B has to struggle through being infected with the Logic Virus and you can't fight at full power anymore. I should probably look around for more RPG Maker games with cool ideas but I just don't search around in that space to my detriment. So I don't really have much to complain about, Tokyo Xanadu didn't click with me, Scarlet Nexus eventually felt too repetitive to finish one character's side but I don't think they're bad games because of it, just not my cup of tea.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 31, 2024

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Finished KH1 earlier today and am finishing up Riku mode in CoM (I used a trainer to speed thru it cuz Re:CoM loving sucks rear end lol). and I forgot how important CoM is for Riku's growth specifically.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I absolutely love the quality of everyone's dialogue heads in GBA Chain of Memories. So much personality for them.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's still incredibly funny they made what seemed to be a noncanon handheld spinoff only for it turn out, no it's actually really important for KH2.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Endorph posted:

unfortunately the rpg thread doesnt know women play video games yet

i do!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's still incredibly funny they made what seemed to be a noncanon handheld spinoff only for it turn out, no it's actually really important for KH2.

They absolutely framed it as canon, I remember because I was originally going to skip it thinking it was a remake of KH1 until I saw the mention of that.

It is, however, hilarious that the game was exclusively on the GBA until KH2:FM

Anyway, 2024 is still a loving insane year for RPGs

Eiyuuden, Emerald Beyond, Visions of Mana, Dawntrail, Paper Mario, Shin Megami Tensei V, Elden Ring DLC, Trails: Daybreak, Fantasy Life, Ys X, and we still don't even have announcements past like August so Metaphor and other stuff are probably on the list.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 31, 2024

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
And KH2 FM was Japan only for about a decade.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CullenDaGaDee posted:

And KH2 FM was Japan only for about a decade.

It was but they actually ported Re:CoM as a stand alone thing in the US at least.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

'seemed to be a noncanon handheld spinoff?' the ending of kh1 directly leads into it

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Assuming a handheld release is a less-important spinoff is just sort of an ingrained conditioning caused by the industry at large.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Also like with regards to RPGs:

I genuinely think the period we're in now is by a huge degree the best shape JRPGs (and maybe even RPGs in general) have been since the PS2 days. Between indie titles and an increasing investment in smaller scale stuff there's just an absolute shitload of different games to play, and most of them are at least pretty fun or interesting. There are still duds but there are a whole lot of hits and even a number of the disappointments are more like "This is fun but could be better."