Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Barudak posted:

Finished Lunacid. I had a really good time except the narrative/story, hard to judge the characters on anything other than visuals and that also seems unfair.

Kind of funny for a game with so few characters to burn one on the pun Sheryl Crow

it's more shadow tower storytelling than king's field, everything's supposed to just leave a weird dreamlike impression rather than be elaborated into anything specific. the dreamlike part also being, because it's vaguely based on the developer's dreams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Sakurazuka posted:

Tbf I consider all dubs atrocious

ear issue

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

GateOfD posted:

might give 13 Sentinels another try after I finish Unicorn Overlord, I tried the first hour or two, and thought the battle system part of 13 Sentinels was really lame and doesn't match Vanillawares usual engaging battle systems

the battle system remains really lame but the story portion is 100% worth seeing

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Just turn the combat to easy and forget about it IMO.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

This is also good advice for the silent hill series

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

GrandpaPants posted:

The Cold Steel games have a minor NPC who is a Scottish lady.

She's a top 3 NPC in a set of games with a lot of really good NPCs, even

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

MORAG FROM XENOBLADE 2

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Ive never heard the CS dub, who did they make Scottish?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

thought the combat was fun on normal but this tbh

story's worth enjoying on its own and the visual spectacle of 13 sentinels combat is very cool even if you don't wanna engage

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

TheMightyBoops posted:

Ive never heard the CS dub, who did they make Scottish?

becky the merchant girl

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it wasn't a dub thing unless she got like three or four voiced lines in the cs1&2 enhanced dubs. iirc she just had a funny japanese country dialect so the translation extrapolated it there. common thing to do with characters who have funny dialects since there's not a lot of particularly specific analogues, you get a bit of free choice with what to turn it into

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

GateOfD posted:

might give 13 Sentinels another try after I finish Unicorn Overlord, I tried the first hour or two, and thought the battle system part of 13 Sentinels was really lame and doesn't match Vanillawares usual engaging battle systems

13 Sentinels is a visual novel with a tactical combat system for people who want a sense of accomplishment to go with their sci-fi stories.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

ChrisBTY posted:

13 Sentinels is a visual novel with a tactical combat system for people who want a sense of accomplishment to go with their sci-fi stories.

I fully admit I want some gameplay to help keep me from checking out because I could just go read a literal novel instead. Or read a comic, if the visual component matters that much. I can't escape the feeling that VNs are a bad transitional phase between books and movies.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

thats dumb.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

disposablewords posted:

I fully admit I want some gameplay to help keep me from checking out because I could just go read a literal novel instead. Or read a comic, if the visual component matters that much. I can't escape the feeling that VNs are a bad transitional phase between books and movies.

you should escape that feeling

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

The Colonel posted:

it wasn't a dub thing unless she got like three or four voiced lines in the cs1&2 enhanced dubs. iirc she just had a funny japanese country dialect so the translation extrapolated it there. common thing to do with characters who have funny dialects since there's not a lot of particularly specific analogues, you get a bit of free choice with what to turn it into

i don't think she had voiced lines in those 2, but she absolutely got a dub in 3 with the accent.

i thought hatsuu voiced her but i can't find the tweet or w/e i was remembering

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
guy posting from within samsara: "i just cant imagine escaping samsara :/"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

disposablewords posted:

one of the earliest video games was colossal cave adventure

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

The 7th Guest posted:

one of the earliest video games was colossal cave adventure

I also played a lot of MUDs but I wouldn't call them VNs just because they were conveyed through text.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

soudns like you're being a STICK in the MUD!!

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

D.Fuzzbot posted:

What are some of the worst RPGs folks have played? Like really bad ones and not bad ones compared to the rest of a game series.

Worse than YIIK is gonna be a pretty tricky ask... it is gross about specific people in the real world, and in addition to more general nastiness and being tedious+unfun. I am vaguely aware of some RPGMaker stuff that might be worse, but I try to avoid playing games if I think they're going to be genuinely unpleasant or particularly gruesome.

Here's a youtube playlist of someone playing 30 RPGM games they think are real bad: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLtAUgH1oFpnVrZL8Vbba3giMmRWsA_KsC
I have not watched it, but someone posted this in a RPGMakerWeb thread that came up googling for bad RPGs.

If you're looking for an entertainingly bad RPGM game, I recommend MandaloreGaming's vid on Anonymous Agony: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn1rsvwkQLc

You could also go by the worst RPGs in terms of the ones that have caused the most measurable financial harm to people. Normally gacha would be a Mobile Games thing, but there's plenty of computer MMOs with highly exploitative cash shop microtransactions. Josh Strife Hayes has a series on bad MMOs here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEpisdBgNpvgyQcUgTbqrgQzx_u19Rkkz
If I recall correctly, Alchemia Story was pretty amusingly dire.

D.Fuzzbot posted:

Sorry, I know I sorta started it up by asking for bad RPGs.

It's weird/dumb, but I actually wanted to play something particularly bad recently, so I asked here.

I've been lately super critical about a lot of games that are really good generally but have some glaring flaw that I focus too much on. I wanted to play a bit of something that just falls apart completely. I guess as a palette cleanser or something like that.

I consider Space Funeral to be very good as a sort of bizarro world RPG and parody of the genre. What if someone decided that it really needed a prequel?

quote:

Space Funeral 5: Space Eulogy: Journey of the Moon and Bubsy, also known as Space Eulogy or Space Funeral 5, is a fanmade prequel to Space Funeral developed by RedMcCloud. The game was cancelled due to disinterest from RedMcCloud and estrangement from the fan base. Space Funeral 5: Space Eulogy: Journey of the Moon and Bubsy is followed by Space Funeral 6: A Tale of Time.
https://spacefuneral.fandom.com/wiki/Space_Funeral_5:_Space_Eulogy:_Journey_of_the_Moon_and_Bubsy

This, I remember playing for like an hour before I decided that it was actually a boring waste of time, then reading about it and getting kinda annoyed that some other rando had successfully faked me out. That jerk hijacked the Space Funeral brand, lol.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

disposablewords posted:

you're a dumb rear end

e: sorry, that was rude.

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 6, 2024

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

disposablewords posted:

all of these alternatives lack the additional means of presentation and narrative conveyance that visual novels have. even the one being discussed right here is noteworthy for its presentation not being the typical sound novel format, closer to a point & click adventure game, just without most of the puzzles

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
what does "bad transitional phase" even mean? what is it about visual novels that you would say makes them an objectively inferior medium? comparing them to movies doesn't even make sense

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Umineko would not hit as hard as it does if not for the fact that the VN element can line up musical cues to land just right.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Colonel posted:

what does "bad transitional phase" even mean? what is it about visual novels that you would say makes them an objectively inferior medium?

It's also just a nonsensical phrasing because it implies VNs were invented after books but before movies. Or perhaps vice versa.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

VNs arent trying to be books or movies or some awkward middle ground, theyre trying to be VNs. its like saying books are an awkward transitional phase between cave paintings and comics

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like if youve played any VN that wasnt made in renpy in two hours theres a ton of unique things only they can do and ways of communicating that are unique to them. even simple visual gags like having the sprites run around and play-act without actually animating them, that's different from actual animation and conveys a different vibe.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Endorph posted:

VNs arent trying to be books or movies or some awkward middle ground, theyre trying to be VNs. its like saying books are an awkward transitional phase between cave paintings and comics

books are a transitional phase between speaking and visual information perceived by the eye. now that books exist no one speaks anymore

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Clearly, VNs are an evolution of puppet shows.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

like if youve played any VN that wasnt made in renpy in two hours theres a ton of unique things only they can do and ways of communicating that are unique to them. even simple visual gags like having the sprites run around and play-act without actually animating them, that's different from actual animation and conveys a different vibe.

Tokyo Necro having like fully animated fight scenes between the dialogue was so sick. Can't really get that in other mediums in the way they did it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

example of the unique storytelling power of VNs: a character showing up in a mask and immediately getting identified and when he asks how the protagonist responds 'you're the only one tall enough that the top of your head gets clipped by the game window'

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

JuniperCake posted:

Clearly, VNs are an evolution of puppet shows.

one of the most well known vns from the 2000s has a whole gag sequence that's just animated with actual irl dolls and it's one of the greatest things ever created

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
also honestly some of the really bizarre 90s idea factory stuff basically leans into how cheap and low quality its cg is to try and go for like. a deliberate creepy puppet aesthetic lol

as showcased by the master of gaming classics right here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcDQ1OHej8I

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

The Colonel posted:

what does "bad transitional phase" even mean? what is it about visual novels that you would say makes them an objectively inferior medium? comparing them to movies doesn't even make sense

Well, first, not calling them objectively inferior. You know, "feeling" and whatnot. My opinions on it are extremely subjective.

And, honestly, the way this thread is moving on it I am already tired. I expressed an opinion and got called an idiot for having it. Fine, whatever. I hit preview and it moves on to new insults and the thread changing focus as I order my thoughts and just... nah, this isn't the place for a meaningful conversation on this. Posting about posting, obviously, but it's not hard to guess where trying to discuss this is going to go and I don't have it in me to want to do so further.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

example of the unique storytelling power of VNs: a character showing up in a mask and immediately getting identified and when he asks how the protagonist responds 'you're the only one tall enough that the top of your head gets clipped by the game window'

i like the comic relief guy in 428 who has the most "animation" out of anyone in the game, because they took a ton of photos of him in different poses and at different stages of movement so they could flip through them whenever they want to really emphasize him in a scene

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

anybody beat the divine wood spirit yet?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

disposablewords posted:

Well, first, not calling them objectively inferior. You know, "feeling" and whatnot. My opinions on it are extremely subjective.

And, honestly, the way this thread is moving on it I am already tired. I expressed an opinion and got called an idiot for having it. Fine, whatever. I hit preview and it moves on to new insults and the thread changing focus as I order my thoughts and just... nah, this isn't the place for a meaningful conversation on this. Posting about posting, obviously, but it's not hard to guess where trying to discuss this is going to go and I don't have it in me to want to do so further.

if you want to fold then fold but i don't get much more understanding of your thoughts from you stating that your thoughts are your thoughts

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

disposablewords posted:

well to be fair the only person that insulted you was me, and I am a confrontational jerk sometimes. you're alright goon, even with your weird opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

A str. of a VN format is the low budget. Small studios or any small team that think they have a good story and some talent in art can make one and doesn’t need to sell a huge number of copies to consider themselves a success. And can target more niche demographics.

And can flex with their creative muscles like the few examples above