Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Anime Store Adventure posted:

This made me laugh out loud because I’ve worked for two product dev companies and keeping SKUs low if at all possible has been a fairly high level ask/demand at both in wildly different industries, lmao. I guess it’s not surprising that there’s people out there demanding the opposite but still, lol.

This was like 10 years ago where having a big SKU mix was something that was legitimately talked about in retail, you're right the exact opposite is true now.

Its all very loving dumb because SKU count really means gently caress all, its just an incredibly blunt and bad method to measure out how complex your product mix is and transplant your own ideas onto that without ever having to learn what actually is going on in your business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Did you work for someone who went through the "we need to do big data!" phase when actually all they needed was maybe some dashboards and not to be recording absolute trash quality metrics?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
occasionally i hear project managers mention sprints in meetings but thankfully it doesn't touch my work. people talk about 8d and stuff but i got no idea what that means

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Thanks Ants posted:

Did you work for someone who went through the "we need to do big data!" phase when actually all they needed was maybe some dashboards and not to be recording absolute trash quality metrics?

Hi yeah. I work for a life insurance company and we now have a data analytics team in addition to the hundreds of incompetent actuaries we employ, people get pissy when I tell them I wouldn't buy our own company's stock lol

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Williams forgot to draw the kanban card when they checked out the last chassis

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

People in my company noticed that our ancient, lovely reporting script only reliably ran after a reboot, so they suggested forcing every computer to reboot weekly so we'd have recent data. I wish I was kidding.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
lol i help with a lot of continuous improvement / lean manufacturing stuff at my job

it has helped us a lot, but it takes a lot of very tiny steps to do it right. not full on manager drink the kool aid stuff.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

wicka posted:

People in my company noticed that our ancient, lovely reporting script only reliably ran after a reboot, so they suggested forcing every computer to reboot weekly so we'd have recent data. I wish I was kidding.

lmao

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

wicka posted:

If I were in charge I'd just schedule a weekly power interrupt

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

wicka posted:

Well, yes, because actually fixing the problem costs money.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
The Patrick Lencioni books and Good to Great were the only business books worth a drat when I was in the corporate world. Of course, management abandoned them because all the stuff they suggested was too hard. Little charts and graphs and buzz words were easier.

Something something lol Alpine.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Tony quidprano posted:

anybody with more brain cells than Keith Richard can tell you that Yuki is there cause of Honda and not purely on merit, which makes the case against Retiredo all the more damning.

Mostly agreed but also all of the alternatives RB has currently are either not ready or not suitable. Lawson being the exception.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

And just like that nobody is talking about loving coffee anymore, you're welcome F1 thread. I will be the DTS stan you need to hate to actually talk about car racing.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

the coffee was more interesting than the "heres what corporate did at my company" talk tbh

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
British cuisine

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

wicka posted:

DTS does not bolster the sport. DTS temporarily increases viewership by virtue of attracting a bunch of temporary casual fans, most of whom will stop watching once they realize the DTS drama is fake and most of the races are pretty boring. It's already happening: in the US, every race's TV ratings have been down compared to 2023. These casual fans will nonetheless be heavily catered to by FOM (see: Miami and Vegas, potentially rotating the actually good tracks in Europe), and in doing so they will turn off many long-time fans as well, meaning the sport will eventually be in an even worse place that it was prior to DTS.

This is the exact playbook NASCAR followed that led them from every single race on the calendar being a sellout, to such an extent that races like Talladega and Bristol were selling out hotels a hundred miles away from the track, to where we are today, where only like four tracks actually fill the stands. Big companies love to look only at metrics and ignore what their fans and supporters are actually saying, and it always bites them in the rear end long term.

I like fast cars that go vroom

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

And that will be your downfall.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Tony quidprano posted:

If you think the racing at any point this year has been acceptable, you need to phone in sick on Monday and book a 2-3 hour session with a psychiatrist so they can begin a deep dive assessment on what the gently caress is wrong with your brain and what corrective therapies can be applied so that you can develop the cognitive skill for distinguishing good and bad items.

The one race where Max's car broke was fun

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Sab0921 posted:

Me too. I also like tiny European men being catty to each other. It's a win-win!

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

wicka posted:

And that will be your downfall.

There must be another parking lot next to an American football stadium that's perfect for high level auto racing.

Let's capitalize on Travis and Taylor and have a race in KC.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Sab0921 posted:

There must be another parking lot next to an American football stadium that's perfect for high level auto racing.

Let's capitalize on Travis and Taylor and have a race in KC.

Indycar in Houston had you covered.

Fodder Cannon
Jan 12, 2008

I love to watch Fox News and then go club some baby seals

Sab0921 posted:

They don’t even go vroom the right way anymore!

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
I heard the Niche Duo is pretty poo poo in comparison to the Zero. Still thinking about a DF64 V2

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Fodder Cannon posted:

Because of woke

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Fodder Cannon posted:

Joe Biden cancelled the V10s

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Sab0921 posted:

Joe Biden cancelled the V10s

V10 -> V6

shrinkflation is killing us

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Fodder Cannon posted:

Ive always been kinda curious about this, but i dont want to fall into the trap of asking a question in good faith then get accused of being one of those "HEY IM JUST ASKING QUESTIONS BUT REALLY IM BEING lovely!" people

Does the engines going from the V12s/10s/8s back in the day to the 6 cylinder hybrids genuinely have an environmental impact or is it more "we want to set an example?" I cant imagine that 20 racecars reducing a few cylinders per car and integrating hybrid systems has any sort of impact on the environment, which leads me to believe its a "we want to set a positive example thing". But F1 cars are built only to race, they arent sold to the public, so is it just optics?

Or is it that the hybrids are just capable of performing better or have a racing advantage?

It seems to me like itd be better to keep the V10/12s everyone loves on the cars themselves and then invest money into making the logistics and production aspect of F1 greener/more environmentally friendly, which from my understanding is the big issue where it comes to hurting the environment: that way fans and drivers get to see the cars they love and the part of F1 that is seriously impacting the environment would also be reduced.

Id really appreciate responses that just tell me if I made any incorrect assumptions or explain it to me, rather than anything snarky. It felt kinda lovely when I asked about Lewis's fashion because I liked it then another poster interpreted my post as homophobic and calling Lewis flamboyant. But then someone else actually assumed I was asking in good faith and explained it which I really appreciated so im hoping someone can do the same for my questions above.

I'm autistic so it's difficult to communicate on forums sometimes asking a question or wanting something explained without people assuming im a CHUD but i do appreciate these forums bc usually someone will take the time to take the questions seriously.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

IIRC the shift into smaller turbo engines with hybrid systems and batteries was to make it so that engine constructors could have a reason to bother being an F1 supplier, as it made the things they were developing relevant to their road cars. If the F1 spec was for an NA V10 you'd end up with having to do a deal to get a single supplier to bother making it, the money just isn't there to throw around since 2008.

Any environmental claims that F1 put out is greenwashing, it's all complete bollocks that using "100% sustainable fuels*" in the cars themselves is somehow relevant when compared to the thousands of miles of air freight that is needed to deliver a season.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

F1 engines are produced by road car companies and most of them want those engines to be vaguely comparable to road car engines for marketing purposes. It makes little sense to build a gas guzzling V12 racing engine when you're only in the sport to advertise cars that are marketed based fuel efficiency and such. The V6 is actually a compromise, Renault heavily pushed for a 4 cylinder but Ferrari refused, because they are the only engine manufacturer the above doesn't really apply to. But even supercars are heavily into hybrids these days.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i guess i can believe that stat about the v6 turbo hybrids being the most thermally efficient internal combustion engines ever built (maybe that's just in cars or something though)

but of course "more efficient" is far from the same as sustainable/good for the environment/etc

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

thank you all that definitely makes a lot of sense, i really appreciate it!! i hadnt even considered the manafacturer/supplier side of it

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

One week each year should have the teams putting whatever parts they like into the car, not counted towards their allocation, putting some custom tyres on, and driving from the race at Imola to Monaco.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Thanks Ants posted:

One week each year should have the teams putting whatever parts they like into the car, not counted towards their allocation, putting some custom tyres on, and driving from the race at Imola to Monaco.

:hmmyes: f1 road rally would be very cool

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Stop saying can't and start saying Can-Am

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

wicka posted:

Stop saying can't and start saying Can-Am

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Full Collapse posted:

Indycar in Houston had you covered.

this reminded me they moved the Nashville indycar street race to the speedway :argh:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

the milk machine posted:

i guess i can believe that stat about the v6 turbo hybrids being the most thermally efficient internal combustion engines ever built (maybe that's just in cars or something though)

but of course "more efficient" is far from the same as sustainable/good for the environment/etc
That is true IIRC, especially due to the hybrid energy recovery and stuff.
I'm not a big car/engine guy so I don't miss engines that are loud for the sake of being loud; current cars are plenty loud IRL the one time I got close to them on track and the efficiency is kinda neat imo. Get all that performance you can out of them liquid dinosaur bones.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Zedd posted:

That is true IIRC, especially due to the hybrid energy recovery and stuff.
I'm not a big car/engine guy so I don't miss engines that are loud for the sake of being loud; current cars are plenty loud IRL the one time I got close to them on track and the efficiency is kinda neat imo. Get all that performance you can out of them liquid dinosaur bones.

Exhaust systems effect performance, theyre not loud for the sake of pure volume, though that is certainly part of the spectacle/appeal.

I was shocked at how quiet the V6 hybrids are in person tho. Didnt even need earplugs like I do at NASCAR and IMSA and NHRA (the latter of which is just deafening but again especially in drag racing thats part of the spectacle)

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

They tried that once and Ferrari killed 5 children

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Simplex posted:

They tried that once and Ferrari killed 5 children

wait really