Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid

VDay posted:

Gaining back all your health and spells is the most powerful recovery mechanic in the game, and is thus limited. I'm not sure how it's so hard to understand or why you have such a strong problem with it. The entire game would have to be rebalanced if you could just press "Rest" an infinite amount of times in between every single fight.

It's only infinite if you have enough money and space in your inventories (or have Stash enabled) to make it so. And if people want to play that way, why exactly is that an issue for you?

quote:

Imagine being able to freely unload every single high-level priest, wizard, and druid spell every single fight? It would completely trivialize the game as it is, and the game would have to subsequently be made much, much harder. Instead the rest limit is there as a way to prevent you from spell/ability spamming so that you have to make tough choices like "Do I blind all these guys or save the spell for the next fight" instead of just getting into a rhythm where you cast the same things every single fight because there's no reason not to.

Like, oh I don't know, every single D&D game before this? They sure were devoid of challenge! Oh... wait.

And again, this game was supposed to be all about 'being able to play the game how you want to play it'. With as much or as little challenge as desired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

fennesz posted:

I hate to be kind of a turd but you had to expect they'd keep at least some mechanics similar to all of the old isometric games because that's what they set out to make.
Yeah, but DA:O was the first game to shoot for the Baldur's Gate successor throne and it didn't feel as obtuse as this game does at times with its mechanics.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

iGestalt posted:

I'm torn on what class to pick - Cipher and Rogue both seem pretty neat.

Can a Rogue eventually become strong enough to tank or use spells? I'm not entirely sure how the magic system works. Likewise, could you use a Wizard as a Rogue-esque? I assume not, but worth asking!

The answer to all of those is mostly no. Rogues are kinda glass cannon stab (and/or shoot) dudes, they are not going to tank well and don't have access to much in the way of spells/abilities.

Cipher is a good option, you can do that melee or ranged (or both, no restrictions on weapons). Also consider a Priest of Skaen, they're kind of a cleric/thief hybrid and get a mini Sneak Attack.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

gently caress Obsidian. I used the double click on my whole party to switch between disguise and armor in the keep. gently caress. Obsidian.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I think the OP should be updated with these gamebreaking bugs

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Anyone know if that ranger reload ability and the chanter reload song stack?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Justin Credible posted:

Rope Kid since you are active I just wanted to make sure this is absolutely brought to your guys attention since this is very close to a game-breaking bug for Ciphers.

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/72492-bug-cipher-focus-gain-permanently-disabled-by-drinking-horn-of-moderation/

Long and short of it is if you equip the Drinking Horn of Moderation you permanently lose the ability to regenerate focus and you are stuck with every encounter with half your focus and that's all you ever get. At the point I got hit with it (around 20 hours in) is the point I imagine is in the same ballpark for everyone else, and I've just mostly been relying on quick and auto saves. I can't imagine how crippling it is if you are doing this ironman.
Tim has already fixed this and I believe BMac has already fixed the double-click equipment bug.

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~
I think the game should be updated to fix these gamebreaking bugs.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Offkorn posted:

Please, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the entire selling point of this game and all those ten-thousand granular settings page options to allow each player to be able to have the game fit their personal playstyle? To make it either as streamlined or as hands-on as they wanted?

The limit on the number of supplies you can buy is a sour note that does not fit with that philosophy. If someone wants to use all their abilities as much as possible, why should you go out of your way to hobble them? Using abilities is one of the better parts of combat, and there are classes like the Chanter which get infinite uses regardless, making the Wizard/Priest's reliance on an artificially handicapped resource even more glaring.

No, the entire selling point of this game was for it to be a throwback to Infinity Engine games. It not requiring hardcore IE experience or skills to finish was also a thing they said which is true, but if you read that as "anyone can run through the game with zero effort doing whatever" then that's an issue on your end.

Either way it's such an integral part of the game's balance that it's unlikely to go anywhere, and it's nearly not as big of a deal as you're making it out to be here.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Viral Warfare posted:

:eyepop:

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Is there a date set for that patch, then?

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~

rope kid posted:

Tim has already fixed this and I believe BMac has already fixed the double-click equipment bug.

Then put them in a hotfix and release them!!!!!!!!!

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Offkorn posted:

And again, this game was supposed to be all about 'being able to play the game how you want to play it'. With as much or as little challenge as desired.
If you didn't want challenge, why are you playing on Path of the Damned?

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Ah, thanks, quite a relief. I'm around 30 hours in now and am sure I got swamped by the double click equip bug too. Any ETA on when the patch might drop?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

GhostDog posted:

gently caress Obsidian. I used the double click on my whole party to switch between disguise and armor in the keep. gently caress. Obsidian.

You should be able to use the console to reactivate those abilities. It'll take a little time though.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/72562-bug-distant-advantage-not-working/?p=1606176

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Viral Warfare posted:

Then put them in a hotfix and release them!!!!!!!!!
They have to be tested first.

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~

Justin Credible posted:

Ah, thanks, quite a relief. I'm around 30 hours in now and am sure I got swamped by the double click equip bug too. Any ETA on when the patch might drop?

Not until next week

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Offkorn posted:

I don't have a problem with camping, it's a fine mechanic. I have a problem with the arbitrary limit on the number of supplies you can carry when there is no such limit on things such as: Everything else.

Carry 10 sets of full plate and infinite bullets/arrows? No problem! Carry five sets of supplies? Sorry, that's not happening; you gotta leave those on the ground.

It's intended to have an effect on combat (hard mode being 2 vs 4 normal vs however many easy gets).

carrying around a billion peasant outfits doesn't really have much of an effect on combat.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

rope kid posted:

Will it retroactively restore the double-click-related losses?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Zilkin posted:

BG didn't have it. I personally really like it though. What's your problem with it specifically?
BG had it worse. You couldn't even equip overlapped protection items even if there were other benefits on the item.

There are plenty of grognardly alternatives that even get thrown into triple A games. Like you could make it so a good deflection enchantment is only 1 point and they get spread around every item with a variety of other piddly +1 enchantments and then you need a loving spreadsheet like this is WoW. Or we go Diablo 3 with it and you restrict deflection to only being available on a slot or two and everybody starts fighting over the same loot as everybody else instead of being able to share when the stats show up on different items.

Archonic
Oct 11, 2003

bury me with it
Ropekid, you and your team knocked this one out of the loving park. I've had so much fun with this game. (Bug free for me 20+ hours in!)

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Will it retroactively restore the double-click-related issues?
I don't know the answer to that question. Sorry.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

e: thread moves fast

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Archonic posted:

Ropekid, you and your team knocked this one out of the loving park. I've had so much fun with this game. (Bug free for me 20+ hours in!)

I agree with this man/woman/porpoise. Well, okay, I had one dialogue audio bug, but reloading fixed it.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

havenwaters posted:

You should be able to use the console to reactivate those abilities. It'll take a little time though.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/72562-bug-distant-advantage-not-working/?p=1606176

Nah, I'm just going to steam here in my corner for a moment or two and then I'll wait for a patch.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Offkorn posted:

Like, oh I don't know, every single D&D game before this? They sure were devoid of challenge! Oh... wait.

Found your problem right here. This game isn't D&D.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
So far I've started a rogue, two monks, and a cipher, putting at least 3-8 hours into each of them, but I have an overwhelming urge to start a paladin. This game is going to kill me.

There is a ton of really weird/confusing stuff but overall I think this will be my favorite obsidian game and an all time great rpg.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Found your problem right here. This game isn't D&D.
If you squint this is the 4th edition game everybody wanted and never got.

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~
This game is really good, it's an honest to god shame the bugs are so loving egregious and gamebreaking.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Offkorn posted:

The limit on the number of supplies you can buy is a sour note that does not fit with that philosophy. If someone wants to use all their abilities as much as possible, why should you go out of your way to hobble them?

Game balance.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

zedprime posted:

BG had it worse. You couldn't even equip overlapped protection items even if there were other benefits on the item.

There are plenty of grognardly alternatives that even get thrown into triple A games. Like you could make it so a good deflection enchantment is only 1 point and they get spread around every item with a variety of other piddly +1 enchantments and then you need a loving spreadsheet like this is WoW. Or we go Diablo 3 with it and you restrict deflection to only being available on a slot or two and everybody starts fighting over the same loot as everybody else instead of being able to share when the stats show up on different items.
I've tried thinking of alternatives to stacking rules but the best I've come up with is (essentially) a weighted (triangular) conversion to bonuses, which helps keep the ultra-efficient power gamer from spiraling miles away from someone who's making a good effort but not building LOL-R-SK8 Yuan-Ti Anathemas.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Anyone made a list with console commands and things like that yet?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
well this game is so good i didnt even notice the house fire two houses away...

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

zedprime posted:

Ah, sorry I completely misunderstood what you were talking about. Yeah, that was definitely in the BG games.

Viral Warfare posted:

This game is really good, it's an honest to god shame the bugs are so loving egregious and gamebreaking.

It's the Obsidian way.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I kinda feel like I need to rush my way through to the other characters, because I won't get to level them up how I want to (not min/max, though) if I'm getting to them when I'm level 5 or 6.

I really wish I could level them up from level one whenever I got them. :sad:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

iGestalt posted:

I'm torn on what class to pick - Cipher and Rogue both seem pretty neat.

Can a Rogue eventually become strong enough to tank or use spells? I'm not entirely sure how the magic system works. Likewise, could you use a Wizard as a Rogue-esque? I assume not, but worth asking!

Rogues can be 'tanky' in the same way anyone can - Deflection isn't directly tied to armor so pumping your Perception/Resolve and getting other Deflection bonuses can make them pretty tanky. They just won't have the raw Health/Endurance that 'real' tanks do.

Your typical 'rogue stuff' (sneaking, finding stuff, picking locks) isn't class-gated at all, it all falls under the Stealth and Mechanics skills, which anyone can take.

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~
Stacking rules are lame because they make you look at cool loot and go 'meh, whatever'.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

rope kid posted:

They have to be tested first.

Will they retroactively fix bad saves?

edit: oh beaten I guess

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Viral Warfare posted:

That's a bold statement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Viral Warfare posted:

Not until next week

Yikes stripes. Ah well, there goes Cipher weekend, I don't want to bother advancing any more if I don't know how the patch will impact saves (started double-clicking back in the first town). Welp. Guess it's time to start a Bleak Walker.

• Locked thread