Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

HappyHippo posted:

This guy was using Windows so I don't know what the deal is there.

Well it works fine in Chrome, so its not a hardware issue at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Shalinor posted:

I could use some feedback on the app sore icon I'm working on. I realize it isn't precisely a screenshot, but - "game media"?

Note that the smaller icons lose the noisy detail, because the prototyping template I made this through does all of them via downscaling. For final art, I would by-hand export each one with appropriate noise resolution, meaning they should be more consistent with the top level. I think that will also help with how the lines get more distorted, the smaller it goes.

My biggest concern is the gradient border. Normally, I hate gradients, and avoid them in any layout work I do. But, it was already in the PSD as the flaming background, and snipped into a border, it adds that sense of "they're in a safe spot in the middle of a forest fire", eh... opinions?

I really don't like that border, but I'm not sure why. I just think the icon would look better on my phone screen without it. If you really wanted to keep it, maybe it would look better thinner?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

prolecat posted:

I really don't like that border, but I'm not sure why. I just think the icon would look better on my phone screen without it. If you really wanted to keep it, maybe it would look better thinner?
Nah, the border is gone. So is the noise, and the contrast is better, etc. The border was bad for a lot of reasons, but most notably, gradiants just do not scale well, ever.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
Crossposting from the making games thread, hope that's fine...click on the screenshot for a video. Added some more advanced scripting and collision handling:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYoh11HDkRY

Related blog post here

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I've posted about TubeRacer before, but I've picked it up again recently.

Spent a lot of time working on the visuals, including giving a lot more feedback so you don't have to glance at the UI for too long to get an idea of what's happening. So, when you get hit, the tube flashes red. When you're health is lower, it's less green (more red/purpleish). And the faster you go, the bluer it gets.

Try it out here: http://xerol.org/h/dl/1067/tuberacer_1_99.rar

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

Roflex posted:

I've played this a number of times and keep wondering what it would be like in first person.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Oh yeah Screenshot Saturday happened the other day. Here's a thing I made.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
I may have too much time on my hands. I put together a Twitter frontend to search for butthurt kids complaining they didn't get an iPad for Christmas and queue up their tweets, and then a backend to have a timed release of retweeting them. Would have done the retweeting automatically but I don't yet have the NLP technology to detect the sarcasm the search terms pick up :v:

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
@fart has been retweeting these for like 24 hours straight and it's loving beautiful.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Shalinor posted:

I could use some feedback on the app sore icon I'm working on. I realize it isn't precisely a screenshot, but - "game media"?

Note that the smaller icons lose the noisy detail, because the prototyping template I made this through does all of them via downscaling. For final art, I would by-hand export each one with appropriate noise resolution, meaning they should be more consistent with the top level. I think that will also help with how the lines get more distorted, the smaller it goes.

My biggest concern is the gradient border. Normally, I hate gradients, and avoid them in any layout work I do. But, it was already in the PSD as the flaming background, and snipped into a border, it adds that sense of "they're in a safe spot in the middle of a forest fire", eh... opinions?

I feel that if you gave the border a more beveled edge it would be better. Right now it looks too flat.

The icon looks pretty otherwise :)

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

i barely GNU her! posted:

I may have too much time on my hands. I put together a Twitter frontend to search for butthurt kids complaining they didn't get an iPad for Christmas and queue up their tweets, and then a backend to have a timed release of retweeting them. Would have done the retweeting automatically but I don't yet have the NLP technology to detect the sarcasm the search terms pick up :v:

See, this... this is why technology exists. Please put together a "best of" for us.

deck
Jul 13, 2006

MSMQ, rise from your grave.

fcbarros
Mar 28, 2011

Roflex posted:

Spent a lot of time working on the visuals, including giving a lot more feedback so you don't have to glance at the UI for too long to get an idea of what's happening. So, when you get hit, the tube flashes red. When you're health is lower, it's less green (more red/purpleish). And the faster you go, the bluer it gets.

Try it out here: http://xerol.org/h/dl/1067/tuberacer_1_99.rar

Very nice indeed, good work, I am just adapting to the playing style.

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
since it seems like mockups are something people are interested in, figured I'd post up this balsamiq mockup (see attached)

In magic: the gathering, people put together "cubes" of a few hundred cards or so, and draft them with friends. A lot of the fun is building a balanced cube that has a lot of things to that players can see and go after.

Talking about cube lists is mostly done by tossing back and forth people's hand-made google docs or text list of card names, and that's kind of annoying.

As an excuse to learn http://angularjs.org/ I've been building up some tools for the specific purpose of compare two cubes and seeing what's the difference. The nuance comes from everyone organizing their lists differently, and that means supporting things like "Card X just costs White mana, but it's only played in White/Blue decks, so it should be in the White/Blue section"

below is a representation of the differences in the Black section of the official Magic Online cube versions 1 and 2. Reading articles like this are often the most interesting way to see the changes since there's, but a tool like this can be a helpful "just the facts" view.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Screenshot Saturday, yeah?

Made it so windows can smoothly resize when they need to, as you can see the window at the top-right do when it overflows.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Always really interesting to see your progress. I pointed a bunch of my students at your blog as well, who found it a good read.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
Made it so I can connect levels in the level editor, video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcua5osTXv8

Related blog post here

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Murodese posted:

Always really interesting to see your progress. I pointed a bunch of my students at your blog as well, who found it a good read.

Really? Wow, that's amazing. Maybe I should write slightly more sensible stuff if people are actually reading it.

Contains Acetone
Aug 22, 2004
DROP IN ANY US MAILBOX, POST PAID BY SECUR-A-KEY

Contains Acetone fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
Just discovered Blur's py3dsMax, and jumped at the chance to have real OOP in my day to day stuff, so I ported my old interface:

to PyQT:

Finally I've got a dynamic preview window that updates with optional accessories and roof/frame color selections. I had given up on implementing it in Maxscript because of poor support for image operations. It's really...novel...to not have to code my own [poorly performing] compositing routines and blend modes.

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 3, 2013