Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Scaevolus posted:

You really should do this, listing your screen names on your tombstone is amazing--

As much as I would enjoy that, I don't think it would work. Either the tombstone would have to be ridiculously ginormous, or you wouldn't be able to read the names, heck; even see them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jrr
Sep 13, 2007
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
I think I'm done, unless there are suggestions, particularly for things to put on the roof. Thank you people whose cars I used.

Click here for the full 1246x730 image.

Edit: Requesting that someone more talented than I make Barad Dur.

jrr fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Aug 22, 2008

Ho0Ly
Oct 24, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Someone make the raft and goo-monster from Creepshow :)

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Ok, someone needs to tell me how the gently caress to make a simple Isometric circle. I've been sitting here in frustration for the better part of an hour trying to figure the drat thing out and it's really starting to piss me off. I've looked through Google, but it's not being my friend right now, so just a simple tutorial on how to make an isometric circle would really help me out.

It's not like I don't know how to make a circle or anything, it's that I can't figure out where to start drawing the circle to make it fill the box that I want to put it in.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

neogeo0823 posted:

Ok, someone needs to tell me how the gently caress to make a simple Isometric circle.

The way I did it is to draw an elipse using MSPaint and look at the lower right hand corner where it shows the number of pixels you've drawn. Make sure the first one is 2 times larger than the second.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The way I did it is to draw an elipse using MSPaint and look at the lower right hand corner where it shows the number of pixels you've drawn. Make sure the first one is 2 times larger than the second.

Ok, so assume I have an isometric box that the circle needs to go in. What can I do to make sure I draw the right sized circle for that box?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

neogeo0823 posted:

Ok, so assume I have an isometric box that the circle needs to go in. What can I do to make sure I draw the right sized circle for that box?

Actually, comparing my elipses to other elipses in the thread it seems that my proportion is a bit off. I don't know how other people have come up with their elipses.

I don't know an easy way to draw the circle inside the box. I usually just use the numbers that MSPaint gives me and do the math to make stuff work right. I'll fiddle around with things to see if I can find a way to make it work right every time.

Edit:

Okay, for a 100 x 50 isometric box, the circle inside it will have a width of 70.7, (square root of 2 over 2, times 100) the height will be half that, 35. This should allow you to get pretty close to the right size for your circle, assuming that my proportions are correct.

To be specific, type 2 into a calculator, hit square root, divide by 2 now multiply by the length of your box. This will give you the length of your circle.

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Aug 22, 2008

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Actually, comparing my elipses to other elipses in the thread it seems that my proportion is a bit off. I don't know how other people have come up with their elipses.

I don't know an easy way to draw the circle inside the box. I usually just use the numbers that MSPaint gives me and do the math to make stuff work right. I'll fiddle around with things to see if I can find a way to make it work right every time.

Ok, well at least I'm not the only one looking for this then. Honestly, why aren't there better tutorials for this online? After extensive Google searching, the best I could find was "1.) Make an Isometric box. 2.) draw your oval inside of it. 3.) piss off."

EDIT:I think I've come up with something! Ok, first, draw the box that you want the oval in. Next, take note of its height and width and write those numbers down. Then, draw a horizontal line through the middle of the box. Next, make an oval that is the same height and width of the box. Drag the oval over the box, and center it so the top and bottom of the oval is touching the top and bottom corners of the box, respectively. Finally, move the oval along the black line your drew through the middle of the box until the desired edges are touching.

I know that sounds like alot, but it seems to work. I'll update tomorrow with pictures to explain it better. For now, I'm going to bed. Even if it doesn't make sense to anyone now, I have this written down here so I won't forget.

DOUBLE EDIT: Wow, three vastly different ways of doing the same, relatively pointless, yet infuriating task.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Aug 22, 2008

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I use a lot of guidelines. To make a circle fit OUTSIDE a box, draw lines out from opposite corners and then draw the ellipse between them.

(Not shown here)

The inside circle takes some experimentation but guidelines can still help, since you need to draw from points equal distances from the edges of the box. Here I marked every fifth 2x1 segment in blue and the ones I drew the inside circle between in cyan.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Roflex posted:

The inside circle takes some experimentation but guidelines can still help, since you need to draw from points equal distances from the edges of the box.

I'm pretty sure this is a geometric representation of my method. It's probably easier for most people to use.

QUID PRO BONO
Nov 23, 2007

What am I wearing? What are you wearing, Richard?
I'm working on Big Shell and I'm having troubles with making isometric hexagons, anyone have a tip on how to do them?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
There was a thread a long time ago about MSPaint secrets. It's where I learned the few tricks that I know. Does anyone have a link to it?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

I'm 90% sure that the source image is now completely gone.

Thanks to Squirrel007 for Pixel Batman and Joker.

Beachcomber fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 22, 2008

Harlequin Rat Fetus
Apr 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT DATING MY COUSIN!
Re: Isometric circles. If you have a box to fit it into, just place your cursor in the middle of it and draw the circle outwards from the middle. Usually that entails holding down the alt/option key (at least in Adobe apps, MS Paint I have no idea about).

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Harlequin Rat Fetus posted:

Re: Isometric circles. If you have a box to fit it into, just place your cursor in the middle of it and draw the circle outwards from the middle. Usually that entails holding down the alt/option key (at least in Adobe apps, MS Paint I have no idea about).

Will that make a circle or an elipse? A perfect circle won't look right in an isometric projection.

SideburnHero
Apr 20, 2007

Patches of facial hair on the sides of a man's face
Heres Johnny Bravo, please put him next to some foxy mamas.

edit .png

SideburnHero fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Aug 22, 2008

Harlequin Rat Fetus
Apr 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT DATING MY COUSIN!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Will that make a circle or an elipse? A perfect circle won't look right in an isometric projection.

Ellipse. Unless you also hold shift to constrain it to a circle. Learn your art programs, folks.

killer ninjas
Mar 10, 2005
This new image host loving sucks. :mad:

I haven't been able to load the page once without it completely locking up my browser.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Except in paint you don't draw from the center, you draw from corner to corner, which is why I used the method I did.

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

I'm 90% sure that the source image is now completely gone.

This is loving cool and I am honored to have my pixel people in it. :v:

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I made some people you can put in the streets if you want to.

Aciid c0d3r
Jun 21, 2008
"Shouldn't you be out mowing the lawn, or spending time with your wife?"
\
:backtowork:
the brick walls at the astley concert are still jacked up, could you fix them in the next update please?

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
I'm still chugging away. I need a better roof idea for the minibar on the balcony.

Right now I'm trying to find some good door and window source images to base my doors and windows off of. So please post any suggestions.

Fozzie Bear
Jun 4, 2000

Rockin' out at the god damn bank

MustelaFuro posted:

I'm still chugging away. I need a better roof idea for the minibar on the balcony.

Right now I'm trying to find some good door and window source images to base my doors and windows off of. So please post any suggestions.

For the mini-bar roof, you could take out the little roof/walls part and replace it with a subway entrance.... I think it would look ok, and I'm sure the person who built the subway parts wouldn't mind. It would open it up and you could put group of people partying up there.

Shakra
Jul 30, 2004

jrr posted:

I think I'm done, unless there are suggestions, particularly for things to put on the roof. Thank you people whose cars I used.

Click here for the full 1246x730 image.

Edit: Requesting that someone more talented than I make Barad Dur.

The excited kid in the shopping cart made me laugh.

killer ninjas posted:

I haven't been able to load the page once without it completely locking up my browser.

What image host?

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.

Fozzie Bear posted:

For the mini-bar roof, you could take out the little roof/walls part and replace it with a subway entrance.... I think it would look ok, and I'm sure the person who built the subway parts wouldn't mind. It would open it up and you could put group of people partying up there.
A subway entrance from like 5 floors up? Or do you mean that I should just borrow the design style?

Agent019
Jun 28, 2002
LOL, ONLY DUMB PEOPLE WORK AT MCDONALD'S
Get over yourself, douchebag.
Fixed our Star Trek Away Team to the riht color. What the hell was I thinking? Green? Come on!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

Drum posted:

THAT'S what Goon City was missing.

Haha that is Adorable!

I am still reworking my pink tank, trying to put Tank Girl in it, but I had to completely re-install PS because it kept doing this thing it has never done to me before, where at some random point in my work, I lose access to all the menus, and can't save. Gigantic photo work never did that but it can't deal with PIXELS I guess!

I also really want to make a full block building, but that could take me weeks at the rate I'm learning :)

Shakra
Jul 30, 2004

oberhouse on Flickr just sent me this:

He doesn't have an sa account but its rad so it's going in.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
I'm sure you are probably tired of doing "updates" so I promise not to post anything else until it is absolutely completed :)

But can you update my tank? I couldn't exactly do Tank Girl, but I made the chick standing up look a lot better.

Also, AWESOME placement, chasing the Godzilla. Thanks!

blackmage
Sep 9, 2006

MustelaFuro posted:

A (very early) WIP of my GOON-FM (SAFM? GBS-FM? GOON? KTIT (playing only the breast- I mean the BEST, tunes)? any thoughts on the call letters for the statiion?) station. My windows are nothing spectacular, but I think they look decent. Feel free to use/copy/borrow/steal/replicate/spindle/mutilate them to suit your needs.

I know the black area says "do not build here" but a bunch of people have. Are we allowed to or what's the protocol there?

And I was just thinking, Goonopolis needs gas stations to fuel all the various motor vehicles around.

blackmage fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 22, 2008

Shakra
Jul 30, 2004

blackmage posted:

I know the black area says "do not build here" but a bunch of people have. Are we allowed to or what's the protocol there?

If you can't avoid it yeah, but try not to as it makes things harder for me.

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

Wondering if you can move my carmageddon car back a bit as a building is covering the front of it and you can't tell what it is.

killer ninjas
Mar 10, 2005

killer ninjas posted:

Shakra posted:

What image host?

https://www.majhost.com

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
I just noticed that the roadblock that faces southwest is just a flip of the ones that face southeast. I had made the SW version with the shading reversed, so if you want to swap it out, it would make it look correct in that respect.

jrr
Sep 13, 2007
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Sorry if this has been done already but I don't remember having seen it.

vvv Ah, thanks. Oh well, didn't see that.

jrr fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 22, 2008

Kolgate
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, I think someone did the Beatles thing somewhere, but I sure can't find it. I think it was a different angle than you did, and included a car or something.

Edit: Oh, it's just north of City Hall, right around the corner from the Bruiser's flaming street sweaper.

Kolgate fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 22, 2008

General Ripper
Jul 6, 2004
OUT OF KEITH'S?!?
Can we have an East Goon City?

Taking forever but I'm just getting started. I'll have soviet style apartment blocks and public unrest.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
Work in Progress. This is fun for me because I've never done this before and I'm learning as I go. I prefer to do something small and nice than some big messy thing.

Just trying to get the technique down. What a time-intensive activity though! I have not done any work today at all. At least PS is working now so I can use layers and keep a palette and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Miles and miles of friends!

killer ninjas posted:

https://www.majhost.com

Just use https://www.gooncity.com to view it.