Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«682 »
oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

I love this game, and all if the different worlds have distinct themes and motifs, but what the gently caress does shrine of storms mean?? What is the themes of that level?? I don't get it at all

The people who lived there worshiped the flying manta-rays and the storms that accompanied them as gods. Its a shrine to their storms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Also you can see the Old Hero chained up on the wall the whole way down, he doesn't just magically appear for the boss fight.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

Millions of peaches. Peaches for me.

oldpainless posted:

The people who lived there worshiped the flying manta-rays and the storms that accompanied them as gods. Its a shrine to their storms.

Oh, was it the Manta Rays they worshipped? I sort of assumed that they were part of the demonic force that clearly decimated the Shrine at some point recently.

The Storm God IS a giant ray like that though, but does its weapon suggest that the God is simply a facade made out of the imaginations of the shadowmen and not the "actual" Storm God they may have once served?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

I always assumed they worshipped the rays and then the stormbringer sword was created by some disgruntled person/tribe or the people rebelled and the rays wiped them out in the battle.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

To clarify, my answer is 100% correct and accurate and there can be no dissenting opinions.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

oldpainless posted:

Also you can see the Old Hero chained up on the wall the whole way down, he doesn't just magically appear for the boss fight.

That's just a statue that the Old Hero boss comes out of. Everything weird and magical in the game is a demon made by the Old One, and they take the forms of poo poo people worshipped.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Genocyber posted:

That's just a statue that the Old Hero boss comes out of. Everything weird and magical in the game is a demon made by the Old One, and they take the forms of poo poo people worshipped.

poo poo you're right. Allant, Dragon God, Astraea, Storm King, Old Monk... All ruling or worshipped figures. From a deity that might possibly represent both sides of the coin, so to speak.

Clever, From.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

oldpainless posted:

Yes! I've looked a bit more into the shrine of storms and the lore is pretty funny.

The inhabitants of the shrine worshipped legends of old, and with the soul arts, legends became flesh.

(Someone said that maiden astraea was a legend made flesh, but that is grade A bullshit. She was a human who ventured into the fog, along saint urbain and others. Astraea swallowed a demons soul to save the filth-abortions.)

New people go through the shrine to become heroes and legends, to rule the Storm Beasts (with that amazing badass sword), which the inhabitants worship.

The adjuticator is a big fat demon 'body', with a golden bird on top serving as the 'brain', and if the adjuticator finds a new 'hero' unworthy, (i guess by killing the hero) the golden bird then, along with all of his crow-pals, gnaws on the bones of the hero. This is the cause of all the skeletons in the area. Numerous heroes who tried and failed.

The inhabitants of the shrine of storms are alive within the souls, as a miasma of consciousness, and they enter skeletons at will to gently caress with new aspiring heroes. This maelstrom of souls is probably kept alive by the grim reapers, or black magicians.

The old hero is probably an utimate test of aspiring heroes, now old and blinded and a shadow of it's former self.

Why all this then? To protect the storm beasts! They worship the storm beasts. The shrine of storms is a shrine of Storm Beasts! The Storm Ruler is way too strong to be put into the wrong hands.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

I've had this game since forever but have never played it. I've beaten DS1 once, gone through and beaten Dark Souls 2 many times, along with Scholar of the First Sin, so I finally decided to plug my PS3 back in and give this a rousing shot.

So far I love it, having completed 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 3-1 and 4-1. Haven't even started 5 at all yet so I have that to look forward to. Also, gently caress those rolling proto-Bonewheels skeleton assholes in 4-1

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Tamayachi posted:

I've had this game since forever but have never played it. I've beaten DS1 once, gone through and beaten Dark Souls 2 many times, along with Scholar of the First Sin, so I finally decided to plug my PS3 back in and give this a rousing shot.

So far I love it, having completed 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 3-1 and 4-1. Haven't even started 5 at all yet so I have that to look forward to. Also, gently caress those rolling proto-Bonewheels skeleton assholes in 4-1

Awesome man. Hope you have fun

On another subject youu fight lots of gigantic enemies in the game has anyone else wondered about how massive their dongs must be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Yes! I've looked a bit more into the shrine of storms and the lore is pretty funny.

The inhabitants of the shrine worshipped legends of old, and with the soul arts, legends became flesh.

(Someone said that maiden astraea was a legend made flesh, but that is grade A bullshit. She was a human who ventured into the fog, along saint urbain and others. Astraea swallowed a demons soul to save the filth-abortions.)

New people go through the shrine to become heroes and legends, to rule the Storm Beasts (with that amazing badass sword), which the inhabitants worship.

The adjuticator is a big fat demon 'body', with a golden bird on top serving as the 'brain', and if the adjuticator finds a new 'hero' unworthy, (i guess by killing the hero) the golden bird then, along with all of his crow-pals, gnaws on the bones of the hero. This is the cause of all the skeletons in the area. Numerous heroes who tried and failed.

The inhabitants of the shrine of storms are alive within the souls, as a miasma of consciousness, and they enter skeletons at will to gently caress with new aspiring heroes. This maelstrom of souls is probably kept alive by the grim reapers, or black magicians.

The old hero is probably an utimate test of aspiring heroes, now old and blinded and a shadow of it's former self.

Why all this then? To protect the storm beasts! They worship the storm beasts. The shrine of storms is a shrine of Storm Beasts! The Storm Ruler is way too strong to be put into the wrong hands.

The most thing about this is that the Storm King itself according to the Archstone blurb is "...the embodiment of the thoughts of Shadowmen from hundreds of years ago." Which I figured we see some of in the game as the grim reaper type dudes, or maybe that the souls of the most badass warriors congeal into storm beasts and get to spend eternity cruising around the skies causing storms.

«682 »