Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Is the slash 4x4 grossly outperformed by a losi or ae 4x4 sc truck? I know how it is in 2wd, but i thought in4x4 there wasnt as big a disparity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

each of those is pretty different. the losi is 3 diff, the ae is belt drive with a front clicker/one way, and the slash is 2 diff shaft drive i think.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
In a single word - yes.

The Slash 4x4 is a HUGE step up in performance from the 2wd Slash but it's nowhere even close to how the AE or Losi trucks are going to drive. The Losi is a goddamn tank. Essentially an 1/8th scale with a short course body, it's very stout but heavy. The weight really calms it down on big outdoor tracks and helps lay down the ridiculous power offered by motors designed for the class (low turn 550 can motors and 4 pole 540 cans). But, with this extra stability from the heavy platform comes a price... it's pretty hard on electronics. Don't skimp on the ESC, motor, or battery or you'll have nothing but problems if it's run in a race environment.

The AE is a neat truck. I got one not long after they came out and it definitely had a teething period. The initial release had incredibly hyperactive steering - get a little bit hamfisted on the wheel and the drat thing was barrelrolling off the track. Now that there's other options out there for it it's a legitimate contender. The factory team version comes with substantially stiffer springs, swaybars front and rear, a chassis brace, and the option to run saddle packs to centralize weight. Jcon's +3mm Hazard wheels bring it out to legal width and add quite a bit of stability to the truck.

The AE is quite a bit lighter than the Losi and it shows on tight indoor tracks. It transitions better in switchbacks and really launches out of corners. The Losi has an advantage on big, blown out 1/8th scale tracks due to its inherent extra stability.

Comedy option - Duragno.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Assuming all drivers are the same skill and the trucks are all set up correctly, the Slash will be outperformed by the others mainly due to higher center of gravity.

In the real world, at least in my experience, they arent too awfully different. I could keep up with the AE and Losi trucks with my 4x4 Slash at my LHC track. It had more traction rolling issues than they did, but it also seemed to jump better than they did. Its a tradeoff.

If you're going actual racing, you'll probably get beat with a Slash

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
I think the Slash 4x4 is a better platform than those because the handling can be fixed by changing shocks and wheels/tires and the Slash have the benefit of being able to bash it without giving a gently caress and do crazy rollovers/jumps and the worst you'll break is a wheel carrier or a-arms if you cross over the line and ram it in something, also even for me in Europe I have to import each replacement part from the US which means I have to pay extra taxes, customs fees and shipping and it's still my cheapest car to maintain.

Also in case someone is wondering about the Slash 4x4 I'll give my impressions.

Negatives:
- Slipper clutch/Center Diff bearing will go bad quickly if you don't clean it often, this fixed by using a motor mount allowing you to use a bigger bearing (brand is kingheadz I think)
- Stock shocks are garbage but still the handling is not bad with them it's just that they are fragile and not very adjustable

Positives:
- Very tough
- Cleaning and maintenance is easy (4 screws to remove front assembly, 4 screws for rear)
- VXL package is very powerful with 3S lipos I don't think you'd need a better engine because it's fast as hell but be aware that it gets hot fast although using an engine fan I can run it non-stop versus having to stop every 20 minutes before

I've used mine for more than 50 hours and I haven't broke anything, only damage so far is 3 stripped teeth on the spur gear because I did a 3 meters jump and landed on concrete so the undertray bent and touched the spur gear, haven't replaced it thought because it's still working fine. Also I bent a front shock shaft, no idea how I did it but I just bent it back expecting oil loss but it's not happening.

For racing, I'm not a regular racer but at my local buggy track it can handle it's own against hpi and losi SC, I swapped cars with a guy there running HPI and he said that it's pretty fast and it didn't take long for him to get used to driving it and set similar times that he did with his hpi after only 10 minutes of driving.
He said it was feeling heavier and I agree with him thought, the hpi felt lighter in turns.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Found a vid someone posted of a 4x4sct qual at our track awhile back. I'm the white/green truck that leads off in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh4uMKcCf8w

Small indoor track and the AE truck is right at home. There was one other SC10 4x4 in that heat, the rest were Losi's and one Slash 4x4. My truck was extremely planted but still agile enough to whip around tight corners with ease. This is with very minor mods from the original kit, still using stock springs and pistons, only running a front swaybar, jcon +3 wheels and jcon pressure point tires in green compound.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

needknees posted:

Comedy option - Duragno.

You won't hear me laughing, a guy with a Durango just wiped the floor with us in our spring series. The top 3 were Durangos and two Losi trucks. The 'comedy option' so far has been the SC10 4x4, seems no one (short of sponsored pro-drivers) at our track can get them out front.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Appreciate the advice. I'm a performing musician, but I've realized that I don't need a certain expensive amp anymore, so I'm unloading it and will be spending it on a nice 4x4 SC truck for winter indoors racing (and a bit of outdoors). A buddy of mine has a Slash 4x4 with VXL system he'd sell me for 250 (minus radio gear) which seems like a good deal. He hardly even drove the truck, so it's in killer condition He doesn't have the center diff though, so I'd have to buy one.

It's between that or the losi. The losi sounds like it's the poo poo, but the price tag will be significantly higher to get one up to snuff (i'd buy it used).

I'll be spending the majority of my time racing in the big Sportsman Modified SC class around here, so for straight up "bang for the buck" the slash may be what I lean on. I also have a 2wd Slash (my oval "car") that I'm assuming I can share certain parts with.

Decisions, decisions.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

TremorX posted:

You won't hear me laughing, a guy with a Durango just wiped the floor with us in our spring series. The top 3 were Durangos and two Losi trucks. The 'comedy option' so far has been the SC10 4x4, seems no one (short of sponsored pro-drivers) at our track can get them out front.

They're incredibly fast trucks, even lighter than the AE truck, but uses a more traditional three diff system. The only drawbacks is they seem to be a little glass jawed - There's only been a couple of them around my area but they're always broken. Parts support was pretty abysmal but that should change now that GP bought Durango.

Honestly there's one up on the shelf at my lhs and I've been eyeballing it for quite awhile... I'd be all over it but 4x4sct kinda died off in my area :smith:

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Appreciate the advice. I'm a performing musician, but I've realized that I don't need a certain expensive amp anymore, so I'm unloading it and will be spending it on a nice 4x4 SC truck for winter indoors racing (and a bit of outdoors). A buddy of mine has a Slash 4x4 with VXL system he'd sell me for 250 (minus radio gear) which seems like a good deal. He hardly even drove the truck, so it's in killer condition He doesn't have the center diff though, so I'd have to buy one.

It's between that or the losi. The losi sounds like it's the poo poo, but the price tag will be significantly higher to get one up to snuff (i'd buy it used).

I'll be spending the majority of my time racing in the big Sportsman Modified SC class around here, so for straight up "bang for the buck" the slash may be what I lean on. I also have a 2wd Slash (my oval "car") that I'm assuming I can share certain parts with.

Decisions, decisions.

Make sure to get 2S OR 3S lips and you'll have fun, if you only use it for racing and your track is small get 2S.
Also I like driving it better with the slipper clutch set at 1/4 turn from locked than with the center diff because with a low throttle sensitivity you can race without having it slipping but you can still do awesome 4wd powerslides when you're coming too hot into a corner, also I have my mind at ease because the clutch is basically a fuse between motor and driveline so it takes some of the stress off when under aggressive acceleration. You should consider upgrading the shocks if you need to take lot of jumps, a popular upgrade are D8 shocks which are really big bores, it adds some weights but then you'll have the best shock setup from any 1/10 truck out there

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The best slash shocks going are the Pro-Line PowerStrokes. Not that great if you wont be racing though, as they require pretty frequent maintenance.

http://prolineracing.com/performance-parts/power-stroke-shocks-front/

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Yeah I currently have a 2s lipo, and just ordered a new one from Hobby Partz. I figure for 25 bucks why not try it? It's a 5000 mah 30c pack.

Yeah, I've pretty decided on the Slash because of price and it's my buddy selling me it. If I don't like it, I'm sure I can unload it for 250 pretty easy. I definitely will be upgrading the shocks/springs, though.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

needknees posted:

They're incredibly fast trucks, even lighter than the AE truck, but uses a more traditional three diff system. The only drawbacks is they seem to be a little glass jawed - There's only been a couple of them around my area but they're always broken. Parts support was pretty abysmal but that should change now that GP bought Durango.

Honestly there's one up on the shelf at my lhs and I've been eyeballing it for quite awhile... I'd be all over it but 4x4sct kinda died off in my area :smith:

4x4 is now our bread-and-butter class, along with Electric 1/8. That guy's Durango fits this mold, he almost always has something break in quals, but he manages to hold it together in the mains. The funny thing is that our really pushy drivers all drive SC10s, and they try to bully around the TENs to no avail. It's funny to watch them try to t-bone you, only to spin themselves out while you roll along like a tank. If you drive even a little aggressively with the TEN, then the other makes are better off trying hard to avoid you rather than cut inside or make aggressive passes.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

Olde Weird Tip posted:

The best slash shocks going are the Pro-Line PowerStrokes. Not that great if you wont be racing though, as they require pretty frequent maintenance.

http://prolineracing.com/performance-parts/power-stroke-shocks-front/

D8's are better than pro lines

http://www.rcshortcourse.com/forum/traxxas-slash-4x4/13620-d8-shocks-slash-4x4-definitive-tutorial.html

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Stampede owners: any suggestions for spare parts to have handy? My truck gets in on Friday and I'd like to be prepared. I'm thinking of ordering some RPM A-arms, but not sure what else to take a look at.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A-arms, bearing carriers, thats what mine ate the most of.

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

One thing I'd recommend is the RPM sealed gear cover. The stock one will let in small dirt and rocks and ruin the spur gear.

http://www.shopatron.com/products/productdetail/part_number=80525/177.0

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

illcendiary posted:

Stampede owners: any suggestions for spare parts to have handy? My truck gets in on Friday and I'd like to be prepared. I'm thinking of ordering some RPM A-arms, but not sure what else to take a look at.

camber blocks

skippo
Jun 9, 2006

illcendiary posted:

Get some of the wheel nuts that bite into the face of your wheels. I've lost 2 lhs rear wheels and hex hubs due to the nuts coming loose and the wheel and hex eating each other.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

skippo posted:

Get some of the wheel nuts that bite into the face of your wheels. I've lost 2 lhs rear wheels and hex hubs due to the nuts coming loose and the wheel and hex eating each other.

And replace your wheel nuts every once in awhile... Once the nylock wears down it won't grab the axle like it should. You can lengthen its life a bit by applying a small amount of loctite to the axle and letting it dry. The residue will add quite a bit of friction (without totally securing the wheel nut) and keep your wheels in place.

On an unrelated note...

Nitro is surprisingly annoying :(

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I haven't posted in here in a long time.
I still keep breaking stuff on my Stampede 4x4 VXL, but at least it's getting better. I put MIP X-Duty CVD's in, front and rear. I kept cooking wheel hexes, so now I got billet hexes, but still the 12 mm ones.
I think I need to upgrade to 17 mm. My stock rims are rounded out, and I rounded out my Pro-Lines as well. I bought a couple new rims for those, just need to glue them.
Something about that Mamba Max Pro ESC + 2400 motor + 3s lipo really stresses that car. Harrrr.

I bent a front shock a couple days ago and took the plunge to buy the Traxxas Big Bore shocks. Boy what a difference! I can now race around on the street in very controlled fashion without rolling, tumbling, cartwheeling all the time.

EDIT: I've got a hankering for a 2WD Slash or some other short course truck.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 16, 2012

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Yeah, so my buddy brought me his Slash 4x4 to check out before buying.....the thing looks chewed up (looks like he bashed the poo poo out of it) and it reeks of WD40. He also won't budge on 275, so I said I'm passing. A couple guys at our local track also told me that the sportsman class is for Mod 2wd anyways...so I'm back at square one.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

had my first official race meet last night and had lots of fun, despite some issues with the car. 4 weeks have been washed out due to rain and its the start of a new points score season, so the track was buzzing.

Racing in VTA and I managed to land 8th from a grid of 9 for the final. finished in 7th place. The two things that hurt me were the short runtimes of the heats/finals (5min) compared to the practice days I am used to (15 min) and the coooold air temps (8C) compared to the previous days.

so for the heats my tires are only getting warm in the final minute of racing. in the final this is obviously a bigger problem as I have to baby it for 4/5 the race. it also appears that I could use a decent setup (one of the guys told me it looks like too much weight is shifting and to adjust the droop) and a proper alignment.

all in all an educational and fun night despite freezing my rear end off. The VTA class is pretty good about being a lovely driver and welcomes the 'rubbin is racing' technique.

my foot hurts from catching a mini whilst marshalling though :(

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

TotalLossBrain posted:

EDIT: I've got a hankering for a 2WD Slash or some other short course truck.

If you buy a slash chassis, slash driveshaft and slash body mounts, you can convert back and forth between your stampede and slash.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Olde Weird Tip posted:

If you buy a slash chassis, slash driveshaft and slash body mounts, you can convert back and forth between your stampede and slash.

Is it that few parts? That's pretty cool (I have a Stampede 4WD VXL).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This is whats required to make the Slash 4x4 into the Stampede 4x4:

http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148958

You could just do the opposite to go the other way. You'll wind up with a Slash 4x4 with Stampede tires. Just buy the wheels and tires for a true Slash, or run the pede tires on the slash, which a lot of guys do anyway.

Theres actually more to buy to go from Slash to Stampede because the Slash doesnt have the wheelie bar or the A-Arm guards that the Pede does.

Naturally, since the Stampede came out after the Slash, there is much more information on how to turn your existing Slash into a Pede than there is info on the other way around, but if it works one way, it has to work the other.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 20, 2012

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

After some arguing with my buddy about price for the Slash 4x4, he finally agreed. I'm now the owner of a bashed 4x4. Time to get this bad boy up to race spec! I'm not going to gently caress with LCG conversions and all that, as this truck is mainly going to be used just to ease me into 4x4 SC racing. I figure if I REALLY dig it, I'll just get a Losi around Christmas time.

I'm going to race it this Saturday stock (save for RPM upgraded arms, jconcepts suburbans, and my radio) and figure out where to go from there. He has 30 wt oil all around, but I may stiffen it up. I really need new springs, though. The stockers are garbage.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You have any need for swaybars? I accidentally bought some full size ones that I thought when I had the mini that I'd send you for cheap.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

The track I'll be running on this winter is ultra high bite packed clay, so most likely yeah. My paypal account is going to be locked for up to 20 days still because of some asswipe buyer's wife on eBay reporting an auction of mine as a fraudulent charge. Once paypal finally reviews it and I get my account balance restored, I'd happily shoot you a payment.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

powderific posted:

You have any need for swaybars? I accidentally bought some full size ones that I thought when I had the mini that I'd send you for cheap.
if you can ship overseas I'm interessted as well let me know

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I wouldn't want to convert back and forth between Stampede and Slash. My kids like racing the Stampede around and I finally have it solid enough not to break so much. I want a Slash for the seemingly lower center of gravity, and most of all so we have two cars to bash/race around with. We like racing it around a baseball diamond, so having two cars would at least double the entertainment.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

TotalLossBrain posted:

I wouldn't want to convert back and forth between Stampede and Slash. My kids like racing the Stampede around and I finally have it solid enough not to break so much. I want a Slash for the seemingly lower center of gravity, and most of all so we have two cars to bash/race around with. We like racing it around a baseball diamond, so having two cars would at least double the entertainment.
you should consider the rustler then, it's pretty fun to drive and very capable also maintenance is way easier than 4x4 models

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
My buddy has a Rustler VXL. What would make it better for what I'm doing than the Slash 2WD?

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

TotalLossBrain posted:

My buddy has a Rustler VXL. What would make it better for what I'm doing than the Slash 2WD?

I don't know what you're doing but from what I've read I see you already have a 4x4 Stampede, a 2wd slash is just a 2wd stampede honestly.

The rustler is smaller, lighter and is still very capable on all terrains, it can also pull crazy wheelies and I think it's simpler and better made than the slash, maintenant and cleaning is very easy. I think you'll enjoy more going from the stampede to a rustler than to a slash. The only problems with the rustler is that without proper setup any kind of throttle will cause the front to lift and that because the bumper doesn't protect the front wheels any kind of frontal crash have a chance of breaking camber blocks or a-arms

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sh4 posted:

I don't know what you're doing but from what I've read I see you already have a 4x4 Stampede, a 2wd slash is just a 2wd stampede honestly.

The rustler is smaller, lighter and is still very capable on all terrains, it can also pull crazy wheelies and I think it's simpler and better made than the slash, maintenant and cleaning is very easy. I think you'll enjoy more going from the stampede to a rustler than to a slash. The only problems with the rustler is that without proper setup any kind of throttle will cause the front to lift and that because the bumper doesn't protect the front wheels any kind of frontal crash have a chance of breaking camber blocks or a-arms

2wd slash and 2wd stampede are completely different vehicles. The Stampede 4x2 has been around for the better part of a decade (if not more by now), and is on a completely different chassis. There are some similarities, I think they share gearboxes, but they are definitely different vehicles.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Last couple days I've been running the Slash 4x4 outside in the street trying to get a feel for a 4wd. The truck is a blast. I just went from 30wt all around to 40 rear/50 front, moved the shocks to lowest ride height, and put a set of stiffer losi green springs on the rear...the truck feels awesome now. I have a fresh set of Jconcepts subcultures (in green) for the track tomorrow, so I should bet set.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Last couple days I've been running the Slash 4x4 outside in the street trying to get a feel for a 4wd. The truck is a blast. I just went from 30wt all around to 40 rear/50 front, moved the shocks to lowest ride height, and put a set of stiffer losi green springs on the rear...the truck feels awesome now. I have a fresh set of Jconcepts subcultures (in green) for the track tomorrow, so I should bet set.
if you like bashing with it I'd recommend esc and motor fan because they get really hot, I have 2 fans on mine and while it added very slight servo noise it cooled it enought to be able to use it for hours non-stop instead of having to wait 15mins every 30 mins. Also if you do jumps with it I'd stay away from the lower ride height setting because the spur gear cover can bend and damage the spur gear

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
X2. That motor and ESC get hot. My buddy burned out the stock VXL ESC and I burned up the stock motor.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I loving LOVE racing 4x4 SC. After a few rounds, I got the hang of it and was running near the front. I just picked up some diff fluid (going to put 5k in rear, 10k in front) and a new Jconcepts High Flow Raptor body. I can't wait to get it out on the track after some tuning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Just saw one of those Traxxas KB escorts on craigslist for $150, its too bad I don't work at an indoor gokart track anymore. The owner said he used to host RC races on it and most pavement around here would be unsuitable for it.

Why did I ever sell my slash, I miss it so.