Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«12 »
Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 24, 2007

A park the size of a housing lot had a park ranger? Who was there three hours after the park closed, even? That's pretty weird. Does every little suburban corner park there have its own ranger lying in wait all night for people to cross his grass? That would be the easiest job in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swine Flu
Apr 29, 2009

by Fistgrrl

eyeshitinyourserial posted:

You keep saying JAIL. So was it prison or jail?
The fan story doesn't jive at all based on DOC policy.

Oh ok, well sounds good to me.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

A park the size of a housing lot had a park ranger? Who was there three hours after the park closed, even? That's pretty weird. Does every little suburban corner park there have its own ranger lying in wait all night for people to cross his grass? That would be the easiest job in the world.

Pretty much. My brother got in trouble for driving his jeep around a baseball diamond attached to some little-rear end park, and it was a park ranger that was walking around the park that caught him. I've seen rangers at almost every park I've been to, and some of those places are little more than a square mile of land. They probably draw straws as to who goes to which park, though.

Funk In Shoe
Apr 19, 2008

Waiting in line, Mr. Haydon told me it is a wheel not meant for lovers but for infants, lifting people and letting them swing, putting the world on display from up high

hermand posted:

They had a photo according to the other thread. I've never understood how people get caught out on handwriting analysis (surely you can fake it easily - and I really don't see how it can stand up under real scrutiny) but apparently it's scientific evidence. And, well, in this case - it worked.

I'm not really an expert, but it's my impression that "faking" your handwriting still leaves a whole lot of marks and signifiers that an untrained individual would not stop to consider, evidence that an expert will be able to identify and examine.
People tend to push harder/softer at certain points in a given letter's curve, loop or line, automatically, leaving barely discernible but highly personal "blops" of ink at specific places, every time they write a given letter.

Also, I'm pretty sure there are some more or less "standardized" tricks that people utilize when they're trying to obscure their own handwriting - tricks that the professionals know everything about. I'm pretty sure they're good enough at what they do that they'll be able to, say, identify pressure patterns, even if one should try to mask one's writing by using all capital letters.

Bill Heywood
Nov 8, 2005
Dinosaur Puncher!

The dude drives around in a truck going to all the parks, thats pretty much all I know about them. So its not like there is a ranger station in every park, and most of the parks are retention basins with playground equipment thrown in one corner.

Edit: I would also like to add that while in said park, I was not driving a jeep around any baseball diamonds.

Bill Heywood fucked around with this message at Jul 5, 2009 around 05:43

Dassiell
Apr 3, 2009

Honestly, I like these stories and want to hear more. Please write your other experiences.

Sjurygg
Nov 7, 2008

Salon would probably be interested in a story like this one. Give them a heads-up, somebody might be working on a case related to the "War on Juveniles". They have a pretty big audience.

ResonanceCascade
Apr 28, 2009

Is law and order this stupid in NYC? For some reason I want to work there for a few years for the experience of living in the USA. But now I think I'll stay in Europe so I don't get taken to court for something so small.

And prison for graffiti in a school? What the hell!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

You're trying to say that you like DOS better then me, right?

The OP might get some traction if he starts calling up or emailing places like Salon.

Just send them a letter that explains your basic situation, find out if it's at all interesting to them and ask what additional information they need to get the ball rolling.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 24, 2007

ResonanceCascade posted:

Is law and order this stupid in NYC? For some reason I want to work there for a few years for the experience of living in the USA. But now I think I'll stay in Europe so I don't get taken to court for something so small.
I think a good rule of thumb is to stay away from any city smaller than 100,000 people in the South and Midwest, and any town smaller than 10,000 people elsewhere in the U.S. Although not nearly all of the small towns elsewhere are bad. And even in the bad ones and even in the South, your chances of getting jammed up this bad over something this minor are vanishingly small. 99.99% of the time if you just remember to be polite and deferential to cops, you'll be just fine.

Swine Flu
Apr 29, 2009

by Fistgrrl

I opening this back up. I closed it because I was afraid of the something awful mob justice that would piss the sheriff off and more then likely lead to a charge for my arrest. But I need to stop hiding in fear from them. I have done nothing wrong, and have done nothing to break the law, therefor, I am not going to be afraid

Swine Flu fucked around with this message at Jul 6, 2009 around 16:39

CloFan
Nov 5, 2004

Khaleesi..

Swine Flu posted:

I opening this back up. I closed it because I was afraid of the something awful mob justice that would piss the sheriff off and more then likely lead to a charge for my arrest. But I need to stop hiding in fear from them. I have done nothing wrong, and have done nothing to break the law, therefor, I am not going to be afraid

They can't do anything to you for talking about your experience, especially since you don't live there anymore. Don't be afraid, as long as you are telling the truth. You really can't get in trouble for other peoples' actions. Well, except in the case of your principal/sheriff...

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Swine Flu posted:

I had been wondering about that.

Any progress? Have you contacted any of the freedom of information people or talked to a reporter or best, a lawyer?

Downtown Abey
Feb 14, 2002

maybe i'm just too demanding

Swine Flu posted:

cool

naic
Jan 21, 2004
v2

Swine Flu posted:

Why did you edit out all the previous stuff from this post if you are not going to be afraid?

Lorentz Factor
Dec 4, 2008

Funk In Shoe posted:

I'm not really an expert, but it's my impression that "faking" your handwriting still leaves a whole lot of marks and signifiers that an untrained individual would not stop to consider, evidence that an expert will be able to identify and examine.
People tend to push harder/softer at certain points in a given letter's curve, loop or line, automatically, leaving barely discernible but highly personal "blops" of ink at specific places, every time they write a given letter.

Also, I'm pretty sure there are some more or less "standardized" tricks that people utilize when they're trying to obscure their own handwriting - tricks that the professionals know everything about. I'm pretty sure they're good enough at what they do that they'll be able to, say, identify pressure patterns, even if one should try to mask one's writing by using all capital letters.

One time I had my wallet stolen and really needed some money from my bank account. To prove who I was I had to sign a piece of paper with my name which they compared to my signature on previous items. They couldn't match it. They ended up pulling about 10 deposit slips and checks and realized that none of them matched. Needless to say I didn't get my money that day. Anyhow back to the matter at hand.

I completely agree with contacting salon as some earlier posters mentioned. They do indeed have a huge audience and good writers (usually). Plus they'll post things that the massive media ignore since they're less concerned about how many people click on the story and more concerned with the story at hand. Something really has to be done with this, because what happened to you is the real crime in my opinion.

All our "small" parks around here have a single park security/ranger guy who drives from park to park all night long. We have about 10 in a 5 sq. mile area around monte sano state park. They're mostly the same park system, just separated by roads and houses.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

We are Legion, a terminal of the Geth.

naic posted:

Why did you edit out all the previous stuff from this post if you are not going to be afraid?

He didn't want everyone to know that he bitched out the county clerk after they told him that the document retrieval fee was $10/page? Seems a little high, but you don't usually get stuff like that for free.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

He didn't want everyone to know that he bitched out the county clerk after they told him that the document retrieval fee was $10/page? Seems a little high, but you don't usually get stuff like that for free.

Ten dollars a page! How many pages are there? If it's above a certain amount I'm pretty sure he can demand an explanation for the cost.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

We are Legion, a terminal of the Geth.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Ten dollars a page! How many pages are there? If it's above a certain amount I'm pretty sure he can demand an explanation for the cost.

$100 for 10 pages from what I recall. On second thought, maybe the fee was a flat $100 and it just happened to work out to $10/page?

justaname
Dec 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

My court charges 10 dollars for the whole drat case file.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 24, 2007

Maybe the sheriff's brother owns a paper mill.

naic
Jan 21, 2004
v2

hobbesmaster posted:

$100 for 10 pages from what I recall. On second thought, maybe the fee was a flat $100 and it just happened to work out to $10/page?

Nah Im pretty sure it was $10/page and there were 10 pages. And ya, he felt that since it was a public record it should also be free.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

I just called the sheriff's office and they said they haven't heard of this story.

quote:

Sheriff Joe Fincher P. O. Box 1212 Sonora, Texas 76950 Phone: 325-387-2288 Fax: 325-387-5245

City of Sonora Police Department 609 S. Water Avenue Sonora, Texas 76950 (325)387-3888/ (325)387-3889 (911 Emergency) Fax# - (325) 387-6062 Police Chief: Tim Jarratt police@sonoratx.net

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

r0ck0 posted:

I just called the sheriff's office and they said they haven't heard of this story.

So this exchange in the (now locked) Ask/Tell thread was fake? The guy made up the entire case record?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...2#post362796931

quote:

DATE OF ARREST 05/04/2007
SEQUENCE CODE A
TRACKING NUMBER 9131851800
AGENCY DESCRIPTION TX2180100 ( SONORA POLICE DEPARTMENT )
CHARGE
TRACKING SUFFIX A001
OFFENSE DETAIL
AGENCY DESCRIPTION TX2180100 ( SONORA POLICE DEPARTMENT )
INTERNAL AGENCY PERSON NUMBER 01791
INTERNAL AGENCY CASE NUMBER 10791
ARREST OFFENSE 29990015 ( GRAFFITI WORSHIP BURIAL/PUBLIC MONUMENT/SCHOOL )
ARREST OFFENSE LITERAL GRAFFITI WORSHIP BURIAL/PUBLIC MONUMENT/SCHOOL
ARREST OFFENSE CITATION 28.08 (d)
LEVEL AND DEGREE OF OFFENSE FS ( FELONY - STATE JAIL FELONY )
DATE OF OFFENSE 04/24/2007
ARREST DISPOSITION 205 ( HELD )
ARREST DISPOSITION DATE 05/04/2007
PROSECUTOR ORI REFERRED TO TX218015A ( SUTTON COUNTY DISTRICT ATTORNEYS OFFICE )
PROSECUTION DETAIL
AGENCY DESCRIPTION TX218015A ( SUTTON COUNTY DISTRICT ATTORNEYS OFFICE )
ACTION DATE 07/19/2007
PROSECUTOR ACTION FIELD A ( PROSECUTOR ACCEPTS THE CHARGE )
PROSECUTOR OFFENSE 29990015 ( GRAFFITI WORSHIP BURIAL/PUBLIC MONUMENT/SCHOOL )
PROSECUTOR OFFENSE CITATION 28.08 (d)
LEVEL AND DEGREE PROSECUTED FS ( FELONY - STATE JAIL FELONY )
COURT STATUS
COURT SEQUENCE a
AGENCY DESCRIPTION TX186025J ( 112TH DISTRICT COURT FORT STOCKTON )
COURT OFFENSE 29990015 ( GRAFFITI WORSHIP BURIAL/PUBLIC MONUMENT/SCHOOL )
CITATION 28.08 (d)
LEVEL AND DEGREE OFFENSE FS ( FELONY - STATE JAIL FELONY )
COURT DISPOSITION 310 ( CONVICTED )
COURT DISPOSITION DATE 09/07/2007
DATE OF SENTENCE/STATUS 09/07/2007
CAUSE NUMBER 2074
FINAL PLEADING G ( GUILTY )
COURT CONFINEMENT 300D
COURT COSTS 241
AGENCY RECEIVING CUSTODY TDCJ SJD

CUSTODIES
CUSTODY
CUSTODIAL AGENCY/ORI TX236065C ( DEPT OF CRIMINAL JUSTICE HUNTSVILLE )
PERSONAL ID NUMBER 01455294
SENTENCE EXPIRATION DATE 02/27/2008
COUNTY OF COMMITMENT 218 ( SUTTON )
STATUS STARTING DATE 02/27/2008
STATUS SUPERVISION 409 ( DISCHARGED )
STATUS SUPERVISION LITERAL TX236065C 01455294
CUSTODY
CUSTODIAL AGENCY/ORI TX236065C ( DEPT OF CRIMINAL JUSTICE HUNTSVILLE )
PERSONAL ID NUMBER 01455294
SENTENCE EXPIRATION DATE 02/27/2008
COUNTY OF COMMITMENT 218 ( SUTTON )
STATUS STARTING DATE 09/19/2007
STATUS SUPERVISION 445 ( RECEIVED STATE JAIL )
STATUS SUPERVISION LITERAL TX236065C 01455294

http://j.photos.cx/Imagen2-e20.png

http://j.photos.cx/Imagen3-847.png

http://j.photos.cx/Imagen4-e4a.png

http://j.photos.cx/Imagen5-d4e.png

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 24, 2007

r0ck0 posted:

I'd say it never happened too if I had scammed tax payers out of 10 grand and sent someone to prison for 14 months over a harmless prank.

Either that or the OP committed some other, less memorable, act of vandalism. But the record is real, isn't it? I mean, there are screen shots. Has anyone else searched for the records to confirm that the screen shots are not doctored?

VVVV Doubtful on anyone else living near Sonora. The entire county barely has 4,000 people and the nearest city with more than a handful of people is 75 miles away VVVV

Shasta Orange Soda fucked around with this message at Jul 7, 2009 around 03:22

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Do any goons live close enough to this guy to go with him to the courthouse, pay for the documents and take a look at them to ensure that he's telling the truth?

I'll be really pissed if this whole thing is a scam and in the end we find out he spray painted a bunch of poo poo all over the school. On the other hand, even if he's telling the truth I half expect the case file to be full of lies.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

Oh dear.Oh shit.

Swine Flu you're alright in my book.

Swine Flu
Apr 29, 2009

by Fistgrrl

It was all a hoax

Swine Flu fucked around with this message at Jul 7, 2009 around 05:04

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

oh snap

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Swine Flu posted:

It was all a hoax

Ozona is still cooler then sonora also why hoax this though?

glod
Oct 6, 2007

woof

Seriously? What a disappointment. I wanted to believe you. I mean, I guess it's good that it wasn't true, but... Man I don't know how to feel about it anymore.

Wood Thrush
May 21, 2003

Hylocichla mustelina

Swine Flu posted:

It was all a hoax

Nooo!! Why? Why did you do it?!

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

Swine Flu posted:

It was all a hoax

Those are some very convincing screenshots in the Ask/Tell thread. How did you get the other guy who posted them in on it?

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Wood Thrush posted:

Nooo!! Why? Why did you do it?!

You've been mindfucked so hard your anal cavity is bleeding.

Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

I think he's trying to throw us off the case because he's worried we'll get him in trouble with the sheriff.

Swine Flu
Apr 29, 2009

by Fistgrrl

935 posted:

I think he's trying to throw us off the case because he's worried we'll get him in trouble with the sheriff.

No, I think GBS is gullible. You can be surprised what a couple of goons working together can pull off. They already called the sheriffs office and they told them no, gently caress I have never even been to Sonora, im from loving California!

Swine Flu fucked around with this message at Jul 7, 2009 around 05:14

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Swine Flu posted:

No, I think GBS is gullible. You you can be surprised what a couple of goons working together can pull off. They already called the sheriffs office and they told them no, gently caress I have never even been to Sonora, im from loving California!

but what's the point?

edit: it just seems like something pretty dumb to go though effort for.

Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

he is the PUPPET MASTER

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

Do not take apart gun by yourself, it will cause the trouble and dangerous.

Well, you guys have to admit, it was a pretty dumb story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unnoticed
Nov 29, 2005

That's odd...

So, is that police report just some random guy or what?

«12 »