Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

30 Second Artbomb posted:

I want to find the person responsible for this and stab them with a duck. Is this feeling normal?

Are you prepared in case they have a pole with two ducks on the end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

AcridWhistle posted:

That and I think that the picture is just fan faction, I don't think it actually exists in the EU.

To be fair, the EU is just published fanfiction.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

AcridWhistle posted:

That and I think that the picture is just fan faction, I don't think it actually exists in the EU.

But Mr. Lightsaber Knees does.

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004

SeanBeansShako posted:

How about one duck and three poles?

http://kw53.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/vlcsnap-2010-01-31-20h16m54s200.png

deadguy
Apr 23, 2007

Hello Bob

draize_train posted:

What's a duck?

Even a duck has to be taught to swim.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

deadguy posted:

Even a duck has to be taught to swim.

There always is a bigger duck.

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

SeanBeansShako posted:

How about this?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Bene Elim posted:

I think it's mostly on wasted potential. People see Fett standing there looking relaxed with Vader pointing a finger at him and tell themselves 'He's sooo badass', a view only compounded by his capture of one of the big-five.

This. What made him badass was implied rather than explicit in Empire. First, we have to remember that in Empire, Vader is loving psychotic. Yet in Fett's first scene, he's having to reel him in. Later, Fett gets up in Vader's face and demands to know what happens if Han dies and Vader gives him a money-back guarantee instead choking or threatening him, which he subsequently does to Lando in a similar disagreement. Finally, Vader tells everyone to let Skywalker through and Fett, for no apparent reason, defies the order and takes a couple of pot-shots at him.

Then of course we get to Jedi and he's a bumbling idiot.

Edit:
Hurrr, obviously Fett wasn't shooting at Luke for no reason. At the very least, he thought that Luke might try to rescue Han. Still, unless we assume he missed intentionally, and he very well might have....

Mr. Funny Pants fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 6, 2011

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Ringo Star Get posted:

One thing I don't get is that if Palpatine is a Sith Lord, teaching his students, how does no one notice hes gone? His security detail would have noticed something.

My personal re-write is that his security detail (assuming you are talking about the red/blue guards) are Force-adept Sith acolytes. They are a lifeboat in the event that both Sith lords are killed. They've been given enough training to restart the line in secrecy again, but not enough to be apprentices themselves or be a threat to Palpatine.

I'm sure there is some EU depth about them, but I've never read it.

Mr. Funny Pants fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 6, 2011

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
So the new Blu-Rays are the late 90s special editions (Greedo shoots first, etc) and letter boxed.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

DID SOMEONE SAY DUCK?!

http://www.starwars.com/databank/creature/duck/index.html

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

AcridWhistle posted:

Instead of lightsabers I think characters would be better off using some sort of weapon that conveys energy to the target via electromagnetic radiation, heck maybe even set it up so it works on a spectrum that the native population can't see. The enemy would just see them point the weapon and BAM death, imagine the demoralizing aspect, you just look over at your fellow alien friend and poof he is dead, no real noise from the weapon just death. I don't know what to name a device that would primarily work by amplifying light through stimulated emissions of radiation though.

It's not exactly what you're looking for but the Chiss have this http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Charric which is effective against most armor and cannot be deflected by a lightsaber. It still probably can't pierce plot armor though.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

My personal re-write is that his security detail (assuming you are talking about the red/blue guards) are Force-adept Sith acolytes. They are a lifeboat in the event that both Sith lords are killed. They've been given enough training to restart the line in secrecy again, but not enough to be apprentices themselves or be a threat to Palpatine.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Absolutely none, same as you. Does that mean none of us are allowed to try and "fix" Star Wars (at least in our own minds)

Leave it in your own mind and we're good.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

AcridWhistle posted:

The enemy would just see them point the weapon and BAM death, imagine the demoralizing aspect, you just look over at your fellow alien friend and poof he is dead, no real noise from the weapon just death. I don't know what to name a device that would primarily work by amplifying light through stimulated emissions of radiation though.

I believe what you're thinking of is some form of death ray.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Mister Roboto posted:

Still the best EU story

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Still the best EU story

Isn't that a page from "Tag and Binks are Dead"?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Isn't that a page from "Tag and Binks are Dead"?

I can confirm this and it is.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Speaking of Jedi, did Lucas ever get asked why its denouement was so short? Lucas clearly liked long ones, as the prequels show.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
EDIT: Beaten on all counts. That's what I get for not noticing there was another page.

Dave Syndrome fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jan 7, 2011

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Crimson Empire. The first one was pretty good, the second one not so much, and now they're making a third basically only because the author is the head of Dark Horse's Star Wars division. Crimson Empire does show that the Royal Guards are Force users even though most of them just seem to have the ability be latent and not have been given any training. CE was supposed to establish that all the royal guards were clones of a single Force-user (this was before AOTC and the whole "stormtroopers are all clones" thing) but apparently later EU authors completely missed this.

I like the idea of the royal guards being used as potential Sith apprentices to restart the line if Vader and Palps were killed, but it's always seemed to me (given DE and especially after ROTS) that Palpatine just assumed that he was going to live forever, and so naturally made everything completely dependent on him and didn't give a gently caress about leaving a system of government or a Sith organization that was capable of succeeding him, or having competent underlings, because in his mind it was all about him and him forever, and if he ever did manage to get killed off he honestly didn't give a poo poo about whether his followers could sustain it or not, since he wouldn't be around to appreciate it. That seems more in line with Palpatine's completely solipsistic reasoning, and hey I just realized it also explains why the Empire goes to poo poo so soon after he dies - not because all these brilliant warlords and advisors and strategists are scrambling to follow him, but because Palpatine deliberately chose idiots due to being a sort of sore loser to ensure that if he wasn't around to lead the Empire and the Sith, than they would self-destruct as soon as possible to ensure that no one would.

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE

Chairman Capone posted:

Crimson Empire. The first one was pretty good, the second one not so much, and now they're making a third basically only because the author is the head of Dark Horse's Star Wars division. Crimson Empire does show that the Royal Guards are Force users even though most of them just seem to have the ability be latent and not have been given any training. CE was supposed to establish that all the royal guards were clones of a single Force-user (this was before AOTC and the whole "stormtroopers are all clones" thing) but apparently later EU authors completely missed this.

I like the idea of the royal guards being used as potential Sith apprentices to restart the line if Vader and Palps were killed, but it's always seemed to me (given DE and especially after ROTS) that Palpatine just assumed that he was going to live forever, and so naturally made everything completely dependent on him and didn't give a gently caress about leaving a system of government or a Sith organization that was capable of succeeding him, or having competent underlings, because in his mind it was all about him and him forever, and if he ever did manage to get killed off he honestly didn't give a poo poo about whether his followers could sustain it or not, since he wouldn't be around to appreciate it. That seems more in line with Palpatine's completely solipsistic reasoning, and hey I just realized it also explains why the Empire goes to poo poo so soon after he dies - not because all these brilliant warlords and advisors and strategists are scrambling to follow him, but because Palpatine deliberately chose idiots due to being a sort of sore loser to ensure that if he wasn't around to lead the Empire and the Sith, than they would self-destruct as soon as possible to ensure that no one would.

Not a firm believer in the Rule of Two, is he?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

NeonTurtle posted:

Not a firm believer in the Rule of Two, is he?

That's what I was thinking. Chairman Capone is obviously correct about what is reflected in the stories, it's just another element I don't care for. Palpatine should be the ultimate expression of his ideology, he should be a true believer. It's taken 1000 years for the Sith to use their insanely selective policy, hone their power, and put the pieces in place to achieve their ultimate goal.

You could make the argument that Palpatine is proof of the failure of the ideology, but I think it makes him a more shallow, less interesting character.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

But wasn't he thinking of the future of the Sith? Palpatine wanted Luke as a fresh apprentice because Vader was crippled, would never realize his original potential and take over as Master.

The Empire goes to poo poo because a Sith, any Sith, is no longer running the show.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
I get the impression that no Sith master under the Rule of Two ever expects to die. When they slaughter their own masters they tell themselves 'I'll be careful. I'll never let my apprentice in on my biggest secrets, keep them weak and work out some system to live forever'.

Bane had his living armour, Plageous had his life manipulation, Sideous had his clones. Sadly, they all made some mistake or other with the 'keep apprentice weak' part and died.

To be fair, Sideous did reasonably well. His first two apprentices were never of sufficient force ability to threaten his mastery, he purposefully crippled his third (both emotionally and physically) as a safety measure, and he had his cloning operation set up. Just a shame he didn't break Vader quite enough.

On that topic, more Project: Good Prequels crap. I promise I'll stop this soon.

Sideous. He becomes the emperor, takes Anakin/Vader as his apprentice and rules with an Iron fist for at least 22 years, but should he be in the prequels?

1) Yes! Major political/military figure so we can watch his takeover and laugh.
2) Yes, but in a minor role. Shown sparingly (if at all), with his Sith identity kept secret until the moment he takes Vader for his own.
3) No. Mentioned in name only at the very end as he takes the republic over.
4) <Insert opinion>

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

That's what I was thinking. Chairman Capone is obviously correct about what is reflected in the stories, it's just another element I don't care for. Palpatine should be the ultimate expression of his ideology, he should be a true believer. It's taken 1000 years for the Sith to use their insanely selective policy, hone their power, and put the pieces in place to achieve their ultimate goal.

You could make the argument that Palpatine is proof of the failure of the ideology, but I think it makes him a more shallow, less interesting character.

Of course, Palpatine could be Darth Bane pulling his soul transfer bullshit.

fire place
Oct 27, 2005
how are you
What does everyone think of The Phantom Edit? I'm about to watch that and it's "sequel" Attack Of The Phantom. Do these edits actually make the movies good as people have said?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

You could argue that Palpatine saw the Rule of Two as a concept/ideology established by Bane to set the foundation for the Sith to continue, survive, slowly undermine the Jedi, and lay the foundations for their return to power. And that since Palpatine had finally accomplished all those tasks, destroying the Jedi and taking over the galaxy for the Sith, perhaps he felt the Rule of Two no longer applied, and it was time for a new Sith ideology to take its place, just as the Rule of Two replaced the previous Sith ideology when the galactic circumstances changed.

On the topic of the Rule of Two, while I have no problem with it as it is (something Bane came up with that the Sith for the next 1000 years used) one thing that bothered me about KOTOR was how the writers basically made it apply to that era, one of the many grafting of prequel elements into the old republic era Jedi. And then Karpyshyn bringing it full circle in his books to state that Revan developed the Rule of Two and Bane just got the idea from his holocron.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
To me that's actually one of the good things the prequels did. I actually pretty much despise the idea that Palpatine kept around dark Jedi lackeys that was introduced in the early EU.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Bene Elim posted:

On that topic, more Project: Good Prequels crap. I promise I'll stop this soon.

Sideous. He becomes the emperor, takes Anakin/Vader as his apprentice and rules with an Iron fist for at least 22 years, but should he be in the prequels?

1) Yes! Major political/military figure so we can watch his takeover and laugh.
2) Yes, but in a minor role. Shown sparingly (if at all), with his Sith identity kept secret until the moment he takes Vader for his own.
3) No. Mentioned in name only at the very end as he takes the republic over.
4) <Insert opinion>

#2, I'd say. Unlike Yoda, Palpatine absolutely has to be in it because he has an enormous role in the backstory, and without him, it wouldn't make any sense. He has to have at least a little screen time. The Prequels had too much boring political poo poo, and while he was easily the most enjoyable thing about Sith, (one of the few enjoyable things about that movie) his role really kind of diminished his character, much in the same way the constant superpowers and lightsaber battles kind of killed the magic of the Force. The prequels made Lightsabers\The Force\Yoda\The Emperor no longer a big deal.

Also, while we're on the subject, and do you guys think of fanservice, provided they aren't intrusive and make sense? The prequels had some pretty obvious fanservice that was intrusive, made no sense, and created plot holes (i.e. Boba Fett).

Might as well reuse some of the character names from the prequels, but make them very different. For instance, Mace Windu isn't Samuel L. Jackson, he's Morgan Freeman.

I don't have the time to write a script, but if somebody isn't already, I could certainly write a treatment.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

draize_train posted:

What's a duck?

What Jango Fett forgot to do. :hurr:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

fire place posted:

What does everyone think of The Phantom Edit? I'm about to watch that and it's "sequel" Attack Of The Phantom. Do these edits actually make the movies good as people have said?

I've only seen the Phantom Edit. Yes, it's an improvement, but it sure as hell isn't magic. After all, the editor could only subtract -- he couldn't add back in anything from the cutting room floor (except maybe the few deleted scenes on the DVD). But no alternate takes, no alternate angles, no going beyond the edited time boundaries of any one shot.

Working under that kind of restriction, it's surprising the editor managed to do much of anything. But the final result is still a definite step up.

ElProducto
Oct 9, 2001
if you want to live low, live low

fire place posted:

It's a polished turd, but a turd nonetheless. The most egregious of little annoyances are gone but the overall story is obviously still there.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Chairman Capone posted:

On the topic of the Rule of Two, while I have no problem with it as it is (something Bane came up with that the Sith for the next 1000 years used) one thing that bothered me about KOTOR was how the writers basically made it apply to that era, one of the many grafting of prequel elements into the old republic era Jedi. And then Karpyshyn bringing it full circle in his books to state that Revan developed the Rule of Two and Bane just got the idea from his holocron.

You mean the games that, in the first, featured a Sith training academy with a ton of students and, in the second, had three claimants to the title of Sith Lord?

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

Chairman Capone posted:

I like the idea of the royal guards being used as potential Sith apprentices to restart the line if Vader and Palps were killed

So, if he and Vader were both killed, the Sith order could be restarted by the bodyguards who travel with him?

It's unnecessary anyway: Every time the Sith are destroyed, it only takes about a week for a Jedi to stumble on a Sith holocron, be corrupted, and start a new Sith order.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Man, when did this thread turn into theforce.net plus swearing?

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!

Gammatron 64 posted:

I don't have the time to write a script, but if somebody isn't already, I could certainly write a treatment.
I'm working on a treatment (although it's ending up more like a :words: based storyboard at the moment). I'd happily welcome collaboration if you're interested, or we could do our own things and compare the end product. If the former; my e-mail's bene.elim.42 at gmail etc.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Angry Midwesterner posted:

Just part of the spiral, usually happens when the EU/Prequals/somebody really hates The Force Unleashed and we all begin to ramble.

fire place
Oct 27, 2005
how are you

Angry Midwesterner posted:

The Geeky Star Wars Questions Megaathread 4: Our Quest For The Perfect Fan Fiction Has Made Us Lonely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Chaos Hippy posted:

You mean the games that, in the first, featured a Sith training academy with a ton of students and, in the second, had three claimants to the title of Sith Lord?

The first KOTOR had a bunch of Sith apprentices but it was pretty clear that there were only two actual Sith Lords at any time, and that they were master and apprentice. I wasn't talking about KOTOR II because its writers were far more creative and subtle with their depiction of the Sith than Karpyshyn is/was, or really pretty much anyone else is/was.