Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Tollymain posted:

What is a basilisk hack? Is it a memetic signal that causes your brain to lock itself up or something?

Yes. It's a memetic virus as seen in Snow Crash - except instead of just killing you, basilisk hacks can be used to brainwash you or to infect you with exsurgent viruses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib
Wikipedia used to have a page on the Motif of Harmful Sensation, but it got taken down, doubtless because some sperglord raised a stink over it being useful. I've linked to an archived version some other wikisperg has maintained on his/her user page.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Yes. It's a memetic virus as seen in Snow Crash - except instead of just killing you, basilisk hacks can be used to brainwash you or to infect you with exsurgent viruses.

This. It's Tomb of Horrors level of character destruction (NPC or PC) and justifies the TITANS wiping out humanity in a long afternoon.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Lunatic Pathos posted:

...The cost goes up to 2 CP for 1 Skill Point beyond 60, but is that 60 including your morph bonus? Since morphs are discussed after it tells you to spend some free points on skills, I would think you'd use just your ego Attributes to determine when you hit 60. Also, I think I read that you add in Faction and Background bonuses at the end as well, right?
I always just use one of the Spreadsheet Character Generators so I can never remember, but I'm pretty sure you start with your Ego + Faction / Background, then spend CP, then add Morph bonus

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Yeah, it's essentially Videodrome, although less mutagenic and more psychotropic.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
geez guys just read the FAQ http://www.ansible.co.uk/writing/c-b-faq.html

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012

Lunatic Pathos posted:

For instance, if I have a COG of 20 in a Menton morph with a +10 to, let's say, Research from my Background and I buy Research up to 75, how many CP did I spend?

Forty, but not in the way that you think. You start with 30 from COG + background, buy Research up to 65 at a cost of 40 CP (30 to 60 and 10 more to 65), and then get +10 from the menton. For the relevant rules, see Learned Skills and Starting Morph on page 136 of the third printing. You may want to think of the character having a Research of 65 with a morph attribute bonus of 10, just to keep the ego/morph distinction clear and make resleeving easier.

These rules do have some wacky consquences. For one thing, it's often better to have an attribute bonus from a morph than have that attribute naturally. If your hypothetical menton had a COG of 15, they could assign the free-floating menton +5 to COG, buy Research 60 for just 35 CP over the starting 15 COG + 10 background and still have a total of 60 + 15 = 75.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...

HundredBears posted:

Forty, but not in the way that you think. You start with 30 from COG + background, buy Research up to 65 at a cost of 40 CP (30 to 60 and 10 more to 65), and then get +10 from the menton. For the relevant rules, see Learned Skills and Starting Morph on page 136 of the third printing. You may want to think of the character having a Research of 65 with a morph attribute bonus of 10, just to keep the ego/morph distinction clear and make resleeving easier.

These rules do have some wacky consquences. For one thing, it's often better to have an attribute bonus from a morph than have that attribute naturally. If your hypothetical menton had a COG of 15, they could assign the free-floating menton +5 to COG, buy Research 60 for just 35 CP over the starting 15 COG + 10 background and still have a total of 60 + 15 = 75.

Thanks for the help. I don't think that's a wacky consequence though, as it seems pretty easy to lose a morph, even intentionally, through kitting out for a mission or traveling across the system. You'd get it back in those cases, but its still a possible penalty for using morph bonuses rather than natural ego attributes, so the cost tradeoff works out.

I know Firewall usually helps out with equivalent morphs and such, but I'd like to think equivalent doesn't mean exactly the same, to make the game more interesting, throw a few surprises in now and then, and encourage ego development over gear. Of course, I wouldn't want to do this to the point of discouraging players, just throwing them off their game sometimes.

edit: After clicking the link about Basilisk hacks above, I was momentarily frightened I had just subjected myself to one.

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012
There are trade-offs both ways when it comes to resleeving. Those who rely on morph bonuses can lose them, but those with high natural aptitudes can hit the morph aptitude caps when using low-end morphs or higher-end ones with bonuses. I agree with you that it's not unbalanced (and that resleeving into a wide variety of morphs can make for great games), but it feels strange that skill-wise, ego aptidues help, but morph bonuses are the cheaper way to build characters with exceptional skills that break the soft caps of 60, 80 and 90.

e: aptitudes, not attributes

HundredBears fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 31, 2012

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
As much as I love EP, I really hate how resleeving and morphs work connected to your stats. Somewhere in this thread is fan-made alternate rules for having a "body pool" of points that helps out.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

ProfessorCirno posted:

As much as I love EP, I really hate how resleeving and morphs work connected to your stats. Somewhere in this thread is fan-made alternate rules for having a "body pool" of points that helps out.

Tbh, morph doesn't feel like enough of an upgrade pure skills wise. And it's only good for making you better at what you do.
I wanna be able to sleeve into a ghost and be stealthy as gently caress, Or sleeve into a slyph and be able to social fu it up, regardless of my actual skill set.

Science Rocket
Sep 4, 2006

Putting the Flash in Flash Man

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

Tbh, morph doesn't feel like enough of an upgrade pure skills wise. And it's only good for making you better at what you do.
I wanna be able to sleeve into a ghost and be stealthy as gently caress, Or sleeve into a slyph and be able to social fu it up, regardless of my actual skill set.

You only need some skillsofts or psychotherapy to go with the resleeve

BrotherAdso
May 22, 2008

stat rosa pristina nomine
nomina nuda tenemus

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

Isn't that what skillsofts are for?

Even if someone gave me the body of an Olympian, I would have none of the mental connections and coordination and traning that allow me to manage my perceptions and pacing to run like an Olympian.

But if they could load that person's XP, or just the skills themselves -- there we go!

And to be fair, those specialized morphs do provide a huge boost to your skills. The Enchanced Looks, +10 SAV, and automatic pheromones of a Slyph can give even a few skill points invested into Impersonation or Protocol or something a boost from the low zone to the 50-60 zone easily.

I rather like the way it balances morph and ego needs. Morph is cheaper but, if you're not careful, you can lose it, while ego traits are inherently limited in their scope of effectiveness but can be very fundamental. I do wish there was a slightly wider array of ego traits sometimes, though.

Kire
Aug 25, 2006
My group almost never sleeves into anything that's so unlike our "normal" morphs that we can't just hand-wave any stat changes. The intense numbers game of EP is really a drag for us so we just ignore it most of the time.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

BrotherAdso posted:

Isn't that what skillsofts are for?

Even if someone gave me the body of an Olympian, I would have none of the mental connections and coordination and traning that allow me to manage my perceptions and pacing to run like an Olympian.

But if they could load that person's XP, or just the skills themselves -- there we go!

Your body is hardware, change it.
Is a tagline of the setting.

As it is your body isn't a tool that you change to fit the current job, It's a stat buff you add to make yourself better at what you do, so you rarely if ever change it.

Science Rocket
Sep 4, 2006

Putting the Flash in Flash Man

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

Your body is hardware, change it.
Is a tagline of the setting.

As it is your body isn't a tool that you change to fit the current job, It's a stat buff you add to make yourself better at what you do, so you rarely if ever change it.

But with how you can modify your body,skillsofts, and equipment you can supplement your skills as needed. You can't totally revamp your character, but you're easily able to adapt it for things you normally can't do.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

This. You can generally modify a morph that it can do whatever you want and it'll probably be cheaper than getting a new morph. Yeah, you might need it to disguise yourself or something, but that tends to be the role of your covert ops team remember, which despite the firewall focus, is usually not the whole team.

And the whole "Body is absolutely interchangeable" thing is something I just tend to ignore anyways.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 3, 2012

BrotherAdso
May 22, 2008

nomina nuda tenemus

Ronwayne posted:

This. You can generally modify a morph that it can do whatever you want and it'll probably be cheaper than getting a new morph. Yeah, you might need it to disguise yourself or something, but that tends to be the role of your covert ops team remember, which despite the firewall focus, is usually not the whole team.

And the whole "Body is absolutely interchangeable" thing is something I just tend to ignore anyways.

Yes, but the setting allows the GM to make it necessary or unavoidable that the characters come to think of their morphs as nothing more than a temporary or exchangeable shell. Regular egocasting, needing to explore really extreme environments, extremely dangerous adventures resulting in morph destruction, the ease of tracking down wanted morphs versus wanted egos, etc are all tools that can reinforce that element of the background if the GM wants. Personally, I think that's a good thing -- the sleeving and resleeving is a big part of what strongly distinguishes Eclipse Phase from other sci-fi and cyberpunk settings, even post-apocalyptic and imaginative ones (like, say, RIFTS).

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Well yes, but the GM has unlimited orcs/falling rocks/beat sticks to make the players do whatever he wants. If he wants the players in neotenics to infiltrate a sex trade operation, more power too him, but I don't want any part of that campaign.

And I WANTED fairly generic sci-fi from eclipse phase. More specifically, I wanted shadowrun without an essence score.

I really really wish the april fools fic involving the octo prostitute getting in a sword fight in meat hab had been the actual intro fiction instead of...what we got in the core.

BrotherAdso
May 22, 2008

nomina nuda tenemus

Ronwayne posted:

Well yes, but the GM has unlimited orcs/falling rocks/beat sticks to make the players do whatever he wants. If he wants the players in neotenics to infiltrate a sex trade operation, more power too him, but I don't want any part of that campaign.

And I WANTED fairly generic sci-fi from eclipse phase. More specifically, I wanted shadowrun without an essence score.

I really really wish the april fools fic involving the octo prostitute getting in a sword fight in meat hab had been the actual intro fiction instead of...what we got in the core.

Doesn't something like D20 Future make for a relatively useful generic sci-fi setting that can be customized into a wide variety of variations, from cyberpunk to space opera?

I see a lot of the draw of Eclipse Phase in players and GMs who are interested in the mind-bending stuff of repeated body and identity changes, forks, tricky morality questions about loving your own gender-reassigned clone, managing the psychological consequences of race-death, and exploring the real-world implications of extreme political and social ideologies that would never get tried in anything remotely resembling the real world.

Trying to use EP's mechanics (which can be pretty setting specific in important ways) for a heroic sci fi campaign or some variant on standard cyberpunk seems difficult -- have you had any success with it?

BrotherAdso fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 4, 2012

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

Ronwayne posted:

But there are games that do just that, not to mention literally using Shadowrun without magic.

Eclipse Phase's rules are really nothing special, so I thought the main draw was the detailed and complex setting.

Lunatic Pathos fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 4, 2012

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

BrotherAdso posted:

Doesn't something like D20 Future make for a relatively useful generic sci-fi setting that can be customized into a wide variety of variations, from cyberpunk to space opera?

I see a lot of the draw of Eclipse Phase in players and GMs who are interested in the mind-bending stuff of repeated body and identity changes, forks, tricky morality questions about loving your own gender-reassigned clone, managing the psychological consequences of race-death, and exploring the real-world implications of extreme political and social ideologies that would never get tried in anything remotely resembling the real world.

Yeah, this, not to mention the conspiracy/paranoia based horror that also depends a lot on the setting details, such as concern that you've been a victim of covert psychosurgery, that there are yous out there being victimized by Nine Lives, or metaphysical questions.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

BrotherAdso posted:

Yes, but the setting allows the GM to make it necessary or unavoidable that the characters come to think of their morphs as nothing more than a temporary or exchangeable shell. Regular egocasting, needing to explore really extreme environments, extremely dangerous adventures resulting in morph destruction, the ease of tracking down wanted morphs versus wanted egos, etc are all tools that can reinforce that element of the background if the GM wants. Personally, I think that's a good thing -- the sleeving and resleeving is a big part of what strongly distinguishes Eclipse Phase from other sci-fi and cyberpunk settings, even post-apocalyptic and imaginative ones (like, say, RIFTS).

This is actually why I'm not fond of the current morph rules - it makes resleeving such a pain that you want to avoid it entirely out of annoyance.

I actually think EP is too much like Shadowrun. There's a lot of emphasis on buying lots and lots of incremental upgrades to your morph, and the chargen certainly nudges you towards putting points into cash to buy those upgrades early on. In my sorta ideal EP version, resleeving is not only easy, it's downright recommended - the right morph for the right job, sorta thing. As it is now, just grab whatever morph you like best and shove upgrades into it until it does everything. The differences between morphs tends to be very minor, especially once enhancements come into play.

Kire
Aug 25, 2006

ProfessorCirno posted:

This is actually why I'm not fond of the current morph rules - it makes resleeving such a pain that you want to avoid it entirely out of annoyance.

I actually think EP is too much like Shadowrun. There's a lot of emphasis on buying lots and lots of incremental upgrades to your morph, and the chargen certainly nudges you towards putting points into cash to buy those upgrades early on. In my sorta ideal EP version, resleeving is not only easy, it's downright recommended - the right morph for the right job, sorta thing. As it is now, just grab whatever morph you like best and shove upgrades into it until it does everything. The differences between morphs tends to be very minor, especially once enhancements come into play.

Agreed, I've yet to see the Ghost morph really be stealthy or unique. It doesn't seem different at all. If my ego has a high infiltrations skill, I can't see much different between using a variety of non-ghost morphs and a ghost.

Lunatic Pathos posted:

Eclipse Phase's rules are really nothing special, so I thought the main draw was the detailed and complex setting.

Yeah, that's how I see it. I love the setting very much, but can't stand how numbers-heavy the rules are. Especially after playing Unknown Armies, which lets you actually *play* and not just endlessly rejigger a spreadsheet or have to keep track of literally dozens of + and - to a roll.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ProfessorCirno posted:

EP's rules really suffer from what I describe as "eightiesitis" - they are complicated for the sake of being complicated, and the game would definitely benefit from having them dramatically streamlined (especially around morphs, exactly for the reason you mention).

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I haven't actually got to play a game yet (running first session tomorrow), but after chargen I believe you that it ought to be simpler/more effective in order to emphasize the setting, I was replying more to the desire to use it as a generic scifi game. It does seem like often the morphs are just a collection of implants that you could buy independently.

Have any good ideas about how to do so without downplaying the importance of ego? Maybe if morphs provided effects that weren't possible to replicate through implants, though this may be hard to explain setting-wise. With bigger effects, it might be possible to counter balance with interesting defects/penalties. Like making it difficult to NOT aggro in stressful situations in a Fury.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Lunatic Pathos posted:

But there are games that do just that, not to mention literally using Shadowrun without magic.

Yeah, but people are playing EP and not those other games. The setting has some nice ideas, but I prefer the gate crashing aspect, and being based out of mars. I have very little to zero interest in the floating tin cans and system politics when I can have sci-fi shootouts in Big Sky Country.

quote:

None of those questions really mean anything if both my, and my PC's response to them is "eh, whatever". Speculative introspection ain't my thing.

quote:

Trying to use EP's mechanics (which can be pretty setting specific in important ways) for a heroic sci fi campaign or some variant on standard cyberpunk seems difficult -- have you had any success with it?

My PC is doing that pretty well. Not sure how much my fellow PCs/GM feel at times, but it rarely is boring.

Remember the jet I was asking for help for? Its first field test was flying it through an open gate with a billion odd hostile xeno robots behind it before we closed it just as the gate (and the wings) slammed aside sending the fuselage careening right into an alien ocean.

The planet of the week stuff, with Gatecrashing and its assorted paramilitary/sim city stuff? THAT'S what EP is to me. Existential crises can go hang, as far as I'm concerned.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 4, 2012

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Kire posted:

Agreed, I've yet to see the Ghost morph really be stealthy or unique. It doesn't seem different at all. If my ego has a high infiltrations skill, I can't see much different between using a variety of non-ghost morphs and a ghost.

Actually, IIRC it's cheaper to give a Ghost all the upgrades to a Fury than vice versa, so it is "better" from a pure cash/karma standpoint.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

Lunatic Pathos posted:

I haven't actually got to play a game yet (running first session tomorrow), but after chargen I believe you that it ought to be simpler/more effective in order to emphasize the setting.

Upfront complexity is the worst, and eclipse phase has a huge problem with it.

Lunatic Pathos posted:

It does seem like often the morphs are just a collection of implants that you could buy independently.

Maybe if morphs provided effects that weren't possible to replicate through implants, though this may be hard to explain setting-wise. With bigger effects, it might be possible to counter balance with interesting defects/penalties. Like making it difficult to NOT aggro in stressful situations in a Fury.

Don't let people customize their morphs, you get the package of implants your morph comes with.
Customizing gear is huge complexity sink, and sci fi rpgs have a huge obsession with it.

quote:

Have any good ideas about how to do so without downplaying the importance of ego?

Ego is the stuff you always have with you.
Kinda important that.

Sleeved into a flat? Still got your ego.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Agreed.

WhitemageofDOOM fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jun 4, 2012

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

I think Eclipse Phase has some serious problems with the morph rules and setting. The setting wants you to play with all the squicky body horror. The setting wants you to switch to the right morph for the right job. The setting also tells you your morph is an irreplaceable possession of enormous worth and you are extremely lucky to have a physical body at all.

The rules make it a troublesome, expensive pain in the rear end to resleeve. There's little mechanical incentive to change morph, and if you die, there are good incentives to pick an exact replica of what you had last.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

BrainParasite posted:

The setting also tells you your morph is an irreplaceable possession of enormous worth and you are extremely lucky to have a physical body at all.

This isn't a problem, actually. Remember, the default assumption is that PCs are part of Firewall, and thus are special in the same way that D&D PCs are - while normal citizens of the Solar system have to treat physical bodies like something incredibly precious, PCs with Firewall (or Ozma, or the Titanian government, or whatever) backing are set for life and can afford to dick about and lose bodies.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Ronwayne posted:

The planet of the week stuff, with Gatecrashing and its assorted paramilitary/sim city stuff? THAT'S what EP is to me. Existential crises can go hang, as far as I'm concerned.

Most of my game has been about science, politics and infiltration though. :colbert:

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Well yes, but totally lacking in existential agnst and mandatory body swapping (i mean, other than for death)

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
I ran a Law & Order: SVU in space style oneshot last week for our group and I think it went pretty well. We didn't have a bunch of sci-fi combat or high adventure. We did have a small team of underpaid and over worked members of a lowest bid security firm for an O'Neil cylinder colony try to untangle a pretty twisted crime.

I gave them a missing persons case involving a hypercorp VIP. Basically they are called in and given a chance to find the victim or recover her stack for a nice finders fee, before company protocol restores her from backups. Plenty of red herrings, side plots, and some random secret motivations that the players seemed to get a kick out of.

The thing I'm proud of, however, is that the resolution to the session is the first time I've gotten a "whooaa, dude!" out of a game I ran. See the mission seems pretty simple at first. VIP probably kidnapped for ransom or to steal company secrets from her stack. Along the way, the players are finding little hints and clues that something is a little off. The victim has an XP playback module in her room with a large number of highly illicit XP scenarios, all featuring romantic engagements with one of her female coworkers, an uplifted dolphin in a humanoid splicer morph working as an indenture in the company's systems analysis department. The victim also has a forged alternate mesh ID, some high end neural pruning software, and a number of regular credit transfers to an unknown source. Interrogating the co-worker reveals that while the dolphin girl tried to befriend the obviously overstressed VIP, the VIP suddenly broke things off and has been cold to her since then. The players eventually track the transactions and XP production to the dolphin girl's live-in girlfriend. Other circumstantial evidence is found that prompts the players to arrest the girlfriend for the VIPs murder with a search of their apartment turning up trace evidence of a cortical stack being destroyed. The session ended with the players getting their bonus for confirming the the VIPs death and destruction of the stack and they have a suspect in custody but the "who, dude!" moment came later, where I filled the players in on the whole story.

See, they more or less got their man, so to speak, when they arrested the girl friend but they hadn't quite connected the dots. Turns out the girlfriend was actually a specially pruned fork of the VIP whose stressful responsibilities along with a company morality clause that forbid her from continuing her relationship with the uplift coworker lead her to create a version of herself that wasn't bogged down with corporate responsibility or obligation. She paid a black market morph broker in the colony's growing slums to sleeve the fork. Since the fork was so divergent by that point, she couldn't just reintegrate and experience her relationship by proxy with the coworker, so she provided a regular stipend in exchange for XP files from the fork. The VIP became increasingly addicted to these experiences and, over time, the fork became more and more uncomfortable with the situation culminating in the fork refusing further XPs. The VIP has a nervous breakdown soon after and confronts the fork. During the encounter, the VIP has is accidentally killed and the fork removes the VIPs stack before leaving the body in an alleyway. The body was later found with an infomorph refugee sleeved into it. It was a kick seeing the player's Holy poo poo! expressions as they connected the dots.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Chance II posted:

I ran a Law & Order: SVU in space style oneshot last week for our group and I think it went pretty well. We didn't have a bunch of sci-fi combat or high adventure. We did have a small team of underpaid and over worked members of a lowest bid security firm for an O'Neil cylinder colony try to untangle a pretty twisted crime.

I gave them a missing persons case involving a hypercorp VIP. Basically they are called in and given a chance to find the victim or recover her stack for a nice finders fee, before company protocol restores her from backups. Plenty of red herrings, side plots, and some random secret motivations that the players seemed to get a kick out of.

The thing I'm proud of, however, is that the resolution to the session is the first time I've gotten a "whooaa, dude!" out of a game I ran. See the mission seems pretty simple at first. VIP probably kidnapped for ransom or to steal company secrets from her stack. Along the way, the players are finding little hints and clues that something is a little off. The victim has an XP playback module in her room with a large number of highly illicit XP scenarios, all featuring romantic engagements with one of her female coworkers, an uplifted dolphin in a humanoid splicer morph working as an indenture in the company's systems analysis department. The victim also has a forged alternate mesh ID, some high end neural pruning software, and a number of regular credit transfers to an unknown source. Interrogating the co-worker reveals that while the dolphin girl tried to befriend the obviously overstressed VIP, the VIP suddenly broke things off and has been cold to her since then. The players eventually track the transactions and XP production to the dolphin girl's live-in girlfriend. Other circumstantial evidence is found that prompts the players to arrest the girlfriend for the VIPs murder with a search of their apartment turning up trace evidence of a cortical stack being destroyed. The session ended with the players getting their bonus for confirming the the VIPs death and destruction of the stack and they have a suspect in custody but the "who, dude!" moment came later, where I filled the players in on the whole story.

See, they more or less got their man, so to speak, when they arrested the girl friend but they hadn't quite connected the dots. Turns out the girlfriend was actually a specially pruned fork of the VIP whose stressful responsibilities along with a company morality clause that forbid her from continuing her relationship with the uplift coworker lead her to create a version of herself that wasn't bogged down with corporate responsibility or obligation. She paid a black market morph broker in the colony's growing slums to sleeve the fork. Since the fork was so divergent by that point, she couldn't just reintegrate and experience her relationship by proxy with the coworker, so she provided a regular stipend in exchange for XP files from the fork. The VIP became increasingly addicted to these experiences and, over time, the fork became more and more uncomfortable with the situation culminating in the fork refusing further XPs. The VIP has a nervous breakdown soon after and confronts the fork. During the encounter, the VIP has is accidentally killed and the fork removes the VIPs stack before leaving the body in an alleyway. The body was later found with an infomorph refugee sleeved into it. It was a kick seeing the player's Holy poo poo! expressions as they connected the dots.

That's pretty awesome! It's exactly the caliber of plot I'd expect in a Richard Morgan or Steven Baxter story, so kudos :D

Thinking about it, it could be really fun to do a Noctis-Qianjiao City PD campaign. No Firewall elements, just traids, gun-running, ruster intolerance and the weirdest cases the system's entertainment capital can provide. Like CSI Miami with... well, about the same weirdness level really, but with more octopi.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?

Flavivirus posted:

That's pretty awesome! It's exactly the caliber of plot I'd expect in a Richard Morgan or Steven Baxter story, so kudos :D

Thinking about it, it could be really fun to do a Noctis-Qianjiao City PD campaign. No Firewall elements, just traids, gun-running, ruster intolerance and the weirdest cases the system's entertainment capital can provide. Like CSI Miami with... well, about the same weirdness level really, but with more octopi.

Thanks! I figured the group could use a session with just the normal mind-bending aspects of the setting since the end of our main campaign dealt heavily with Firewall and the Exsurgence virus.

BrotherAdso
May 22, 2008

nomina nuda tenemus
Chance II, That sounds like a great one-off! Really inventive.

I've convinced my local group to try out the system for low-investment (on their end) initial adventure -- meaning they won't come with pre-made characters, I think. It'll be an in introduction to both the setting and the system, essentially.

I am thinking about running the following sequence:

1) Have the players design egos who might have lived on Earth or the Lunar-Mars colonies during the Fall.

2) Their morphs will be a flat with pre-fall human enhancements the characters might have had access to -- essentially giving the players a chance to test out a much-simplified version of morph building.

3) Play starts in media res during the Fall. What the players and characters won't know, however, is that there is no Fall at all -- they died in the fall and are in a simulspace environment forcing them to "refight" the events in their home habitat.

4) They "escape" from their Habitat and the simulspace environment disappears. The players are immediately re-sleeved into worker pods with a few standard enhancements, and shown their indenture treaty by an automated system. They are stranded in a small shuttlecraft, with minimal guidance except a somewhat garbled message about a riot.

5) They have to guide their shuttlecraft to dock (or the crash into) a large semi-abandoned habitat, where they end up fighting what they assume are rioters, but are actually autonomist saboteurs driven crazy by a chem-release in the manufacturing facility. The fight includes some stuff like getting forked by a hacker and being made to kill yourself, figuring out how to kill or imprison an AGI, getting in a gunfight with a bunch of uplifted orangutans, etc.

6) During the fighting, they have the opportunity to discover what is going on -- that they're being manipulated by a hypercorp to clean up its trash with no chance of escape or payment. They can destroy the habitat, in which case their "backups" find themselves in the simulspace Fall again, etc. Or they can escape with their worker pods and try to get out into the larger world of EP. Either way, they'll have been introduced to most of the major mechanics (except Rep, I'm trying to figure out how to work that in) and a lot about the setting based on the "rebels" they encounter.

It's only a brainstorm at this point -- what do people think? Remember, I'm going for an adventure that requires minimal setting and mechanical familiarity, and will give players a broad but easy taste of the system and setting.

BrotherAdso fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 4, 2012

Kire
Aug 25, 2006

BrotherAdso posted:

Chance II, That sounds like a great one-off! Really inventive.

I've convinced my local group to try out the system for low-investment (on their end) initial adventure -- meaning they won't come with pre-made characters, I think. It'll be an in introduction to both the setting and the system, essentially.

I am thinking about running the following sequence:

1) Have the players design egos who might have lived on Earth or the Lunar-Mars colonies during the Fall.

2) Their morphs will be a flat with pre-fall human enhancements the characters might have had access to -- essentially giving the players a chance to test out a much-simplified version of morph building.

3) Play starts in media res during the Fall. What the players and characters won't know, however, is that there is no Fall at all -- they died in the fall and are in a simulspace environment forcing them to "refight" the events in their home habitat.

4) They "escape" from their Habitat and the simulspace environment disappears. The players are immediately re-sleeved into worker pods with a few standard enhancements, and shown their indenture treaty by an automated system. They are stranded in a small shuttlecraft, with minimal guidance except a somewhat garbled message about a riot.

5) They have to guide their shuttlecraft to dock (or the crash into) a large semi-abandoned habitat, where they end up fighting what they assume are rioters, but are actually autonomist saboteurs driven crazy by a chem-release in the manufacturing facility. The fight includes some stuff like getting forked by a hacker and being made to kill yourself, figuring out how to kill or imprison an AGI, getting in a gunfight with a bunch of uplifted orangutans, etc.

6) During the fighting, they have the opportunity to discover what is going on -- that they're being manipulated by a hypercorp to clean up its trash with no chance of escape or payment. They can destroy the habitat, in which case their "backups" find themselves in the simulspace Fall again, etc. Or they can escape with their worker pods and try to get out into the larger world of EP. Either way, they'll have been introduced to most of the major mechanics (except Rep, I'm trying to figure out how to work that in) and a lot about the setting based on the "rebels" they encounter.

It's only a brainstorm at this point -- what do people think? Remember, I'm going for an adventure that requires minimal setting and mechanical familiarity, and will give players a broad but easy taste of the system and setting.

That sounds really fun! Don't worry about introducing Rep just yet, you can always do that in the next adventure when, depending on the choices they make, someone may approach them via the rep network they formed (like if they save other people, those folks can then repay them later with a favor).

One question is: why are they in the fall simulation? And how did the fall never happen if they died in it?

BrotherAdso
May 22, 2008

nomina nuda tenemus

Kire posted:

That sounds really fun! Don't worry about introducing Rep just yet, you can always do that in the next adventure when, depending on the choices they make, someone may approach them via the rep network they formed (like if they save other people, those folks can then repay them later with a favor).

One question is: why are they in the fall simulation? And how did the fall never happen if they died in it?

My plan was that they died in the Fall, but the ship/station with their offworld backup was quietly siezed by a Hypercorp. The use the egos they stole as a secret personnel store for dangerous missions, and use the Fall simulation to choose strong ones to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

This isn't a problem, actually. Remember, the default assumption is that PCs are part of Firewall, and thus are special in the same way that D&D PCs are - while normal citizens of the Solar system have to treat physical bodies like something incredibly precious, PCs with Firewall (or Ozma, or the Titanian government, or whatever) backing are set for life and can afford to dick about and lose bodies.

More than that, look at the character creation rules, then read the rules on what a skill level represents.
Most characters I've seen have 2 or 3 of those 80s, which puts you in the top 1% in that field.
Look what you can do with an 80 rep, you also get stalked by the paparazzi free of charge.

Eclipse phase characters are basically the most competent, connected people in the system.
And then you meet a titan...

BrainParasite posted:

The rules make it a troublesome, expensive pain in the rear end to resleeve. There's little mechanical incentive to change morph, and if you die,

It's a major favor. Not a big deal.

quote:

there are good incentives to pick an exact replica of what you had last.

Which is the biggest problem.

WhitemageofDOOM fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 5, 2012

• Locked thread