Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«64 »
Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

The Heckler and Koch megathread

H&K was founded in 1949 from remnants of the Mauser company as a manufacturer of precision parts, machine tools, sewing machines, etc. In 1956 company proposed its first rifle, the G3, designed for the Bundeswehr.

Since then, HK has designed more than 77 other firearms, including 28 pistols, two grenade machineguns, one ceremonial cannon, and one underwater pistol.

HK has become famous thanks to numerous movies, TV shows, and video games featuring HK firearms. Neither Tom Clancy, Val Kilmer, nor Kiefer Sutherland would be caught dead without their HK.

Some of HK's most famous firearms never left the prototype stage, such as the smart grenade launcher / assault rifle combination known as the OICW, and the caseless cartridge firing G11, LMG11, and G11 PDW.

However, HK's production firearms are well known for their ridiculous pricing, Rube-Goldberg-esque firing mechanisms, quality and reliability. The iconic MP5 submachinegun is used by over 74 countries world-wide and comes in 27 different variants and three calibers (9mm, .40 s&w, and 10mm). Unfortunately, HK produced models are near impossible for civilian shooters to obtain in the US, though various third party manufacturers have produced clones of varying quality.

While actual HK made rifles tend to be expensive and rare in the US, clones and other similar rifles are widely available. [Insert stuff about PTR-91's, CETME's, etc here!]

Compared to their rifles, HK pistols are far more common and affordable. Even the out of production P7 series of striker fired gas operated pistols are still in high demand for their unique cocking mechanism, small size, and shootability.

HK's current production pistol line up includes the the USP, USP45, USP Compact, P2000, P2000SK, HK45, HK45 Compact, P30, P30L, and Mark 23. Tactical variants are generally provided with taller sights and a threaded barrel, and still rarer are the match and expert versions which feature a longer barrel and slide. Each series of HK pistol comes in one or more versions, generally known as "variants". A variant describes the configuration of the pistol's sights, trigger (often replaced with the adjustable match or DAO-like LEM), safety, and decocker, and a pistol can be converted from one variant to another with the appropriate replacement parts and a punch. Various parts can be mixed and matched to create a custom variant, and various weight springs are available from the factory to adjust the trigger pull.

Worthy of note is HK's LEM (aka CDA) trigger. While most HK pistols are come in the standard DA/SA trigger configuration (with DAO and SAO also available), the LEM trigger is proprietary to HK pistols. The LEM trigger resembles the Glock trigger in that it is a light, full DAO style pull with a short reset, however the LEM trigger doesn't have a "mushy" feeling. The majority of the LEM trigger pull is light and smooth until right before the hammer is released, at which point the trigger pull weight increases slightly. It is rapidly becoming the most common HK trigger variant.

Want more HK?

HK's civilian website
World of HK
HK Pro forums
HKParts.net is expensive but usually has a good reputation, though SpartanIV has not been so lucky.
Top Gun Supply is cheaper than hkparts but has a smaller selection.
Leedway is an HK parts (and firearms?) dealer.
Whittaker Guns usually has good prices on HK pistols.

Want to buy an HK? You're in luck, used police trade in HK's can be found now and then on Summit gun broker or your favorite firearm scam auction website.

So lets talk about some HK's.

Ninja Rope fucked around with this message at Apr 17, 2012 around 01:10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Cross-posting this wonderful image of a G3 bullpup from the bullpup thread.

poopship
May 2, 2003

I have an HK45 that I love dearly. Tell me how difficult it would be to obtain and install an LEM trigger.

Do they sell their factory sights for these separately? They're huge and awesome.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Ninja Rope posted:

jesus christ

I'm goddamn raw over here

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

I didn't realize the G3 design was that old. Huh.

TeffaBob
Feb 2, 2003

poopship posted:

I have an HK45 that I love dearly. Tell me how difficult it would be to obtain and install an LEM trigger.

Do they sell their factory sights for these separately? They're huge and awesome.

If I remember right, someone on these very forums did that exact thing on a USP I believe, showing most of the process with photos. It really didn't seem to be too big of a project.

Edit: Found it, http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...0#post388974791

TeffaBob fucked around with this message at Apr 17, 2011 around 07:01

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

poopship posted:

LEM trigger parts are for sale on hkparts.net, topgunsupply, and Leedway. Installing the LEM is basically detail stripping the frame and reinstalling everything with with slightly different parts. More complicated than building an AR lower but mostly because the parts are smaller.

Here's the USP armorer's manual on installing the LEM trigger. Here's a different walk through for the USP LEM install, and judging by the parts in the HK45 kit the process should be similar. The walk through guy ops to keep the factory mainspring, I would use all the springs from the kit until you know you don't like them.

If you get stuck, try applying white lithium grease to the smaller parts to get them to "stick" into place. Tiny pliers, hemostats, and dental/tooth picks may be useful depending on your dexterity. All the parts only fit in one way, but you might not realize that until you install one or two more parts and suddenly nothing fits.

It took me about 2 hours the first time I did it, but I was watching TV. The second time took 10 minutes.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

the fanboyism on that hkpro website makes the Automator sound reasonable.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Saturday football was cool, then it got mainstream. Tuesday football is where it's at now.

Most of their pistols don't do much for me but I'm jumping on a P7 one of these days.

God drat do they get hot though.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

First gun I owned was a USP 9mm and I traded it for a USPc .40 and to be honest I have regretted getting rid of the 9 for the .40. First post in TFR was asking why the 9 was jamming and I think it was Craptacular who suggested the mag springs and was right.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

DJExile posted:

Most of their pistols don't do much for me but I'm jumping on a P7 one of these days.

God drat do they get hot though.

that's because they're laser accurate

zing

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I don't know about HK... I'd kinda like a USP9, but I can't justify the price on a gun from a company I kinda sorta resent as I consider them the "Apple" of the Gun world.

Nick L
Jun 22, 2004

Great, I'll never see that logo again without thinking...

Heckler is pretty cool, but Kotch can be a real dick.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Nick L posted:

God, they are sexy though.

Nick L posted:

lol

Sporto
Oct 16, 2010

The Slayer walks the earth!

Glocks can shove it. USP owners unite!!!

Me n' Kief's gonna keep the malls safe.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

The Bananana posted:

I don't know about HK... I'd kinda like a USP9, but I can't justify the price on a gun from a company I kinda sorta resent as I consider them the "Apple" of the Gun world.

I got my USP9 used for $450. My USPc .45 was $550. You can have your cake, and keep H&K from getting theirs, too.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Propagandalf posted:

"...got my USP9 used for $450."

Go on...

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep

Well, this is an appropriate thread to post about my SL8. Timely, because I just sold it.

In 2003, I was in Bosnia, hanging out with many foreign soldiers, included ZE GERMANS. I became friends with a German army captain (a base brat who grew up largely in the United States) and through him I was able to shoot a qualifier on their G36. I was smitten. It made my C7 (M16A2) look like a clunky piece of poo poo. An ugly 80's mustang with a tape deck next to a new Porsche with iPod input and GPS. I swore to myself I would do everything in my power to own one. I began researching the H&K SL8. It wasn't until my next tour that I bought one in 2007. I wanted a 556/223 semi auto that was non restricted, scary looking, upgradeable, ATF compliant and immediately available. At the time, the SL8 was the only rifle to meet all of those requirements.

It was my near constant companion for 4 years. In Canada it was non-restricted, meaning it could tag along on roadtrips and be fired on farms and country properties. I have more photos of this rifle on my phone than my family members. Many of you have seen and fired this rifle in person since it was easy to bring it stateside. It turned heads almost anywhere it went. I've been asked if it's a super special gun only Canadians can have, I've been asked if it's a SCAR or Masada.

This rifle has served me well from point blank instinctive shooting to 600 yards on steel at Angeles range in California. It's going to a good home to be enjoyed by a trusted friend and fellow Op Medusa veteran. I am excited about the AR I'm building but I already miss the HK.

Goodnight sweet prince...

Not Nipsy Russell
Oct 6, 2004

Failure is always an option.

Cool video of HK's "over the beach" test. HK 416 vs. Colt M4.
From now on, all M4 issued SEALS will dress like Daft Punk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGwkHktkTxU

WitchFetish
Jan 8, 2011

legende de l'insigne de la maitrise

Not Nipsy Russell posted:

Cool video of HK's "over the beach" test. HK 416 vs. Colt M4.
From now on, all M4 issued SEALS will dress like Daft Punk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGwkHktkTxU

I think that video received a lot of criticisms for not being fair to the Colt (something about the time the two different weapons were left to drain or something).

Back to H&K : even if they are expensive, I think anyone should try a USP at least once. They fit surprisingly well in your hand, have very little recoil and are very intuitive to use (apart from the mag release, but hey, you get used to it after a while).

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Flanker posted:

My God, I have such a boner right now.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

I still really want a Mark 23. USPs have always been great, and the USP Experts are pretty cool looking, IMO.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

Edit: Nothing like a $5 tape switch on a $5000 rifle.

infrared35 fucked around with this message at Apr 17, 2011 around 20:45

Nick L
Jun 22, 2004

infrared35 posted:

Can these be purchased (ammo, too) or are they just for the lucky few like you?

Rhyming like a mofo in here.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

There's been a fair amount of Simunition stuff on gunbroker lately, including ammo, which is where I've been getting mine.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

WitchFetish posted:

I think that video received a lot of criticisms for not being fair to the Colt (something about the time the two different weapons were left to drain or something).

Back to H&K : even if they are expensive, I think anyone should try a USP at least once. They fit surprisingly well in your hand, have very little recoil and are very intuitive to use (apart from the mag release, but hey, you get used to it after a while).

The 416 doesn't have sights in that video. I wonder if they're not waterproof.

I was ready to sell my USP until I started shooting it for time/in competitions. The giant controls are easy to hit with either hand and I've grown to like the mag release. It's pretty easy to hit the release with my trigger finger and then place it along the frame to keep my finger out of the trigger guard during a reload.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

by Cowcaster

Nick L posted:

Can these be purchased (ammo, too) or are they just for the lucky few like you?

Rhyming like a mofo in here.

UTM kits and rounds are easier to come by

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

That's because they were banned by the Geneva Convention as cruel and unusual.

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

158 grains of smiley powered justice

I always wanted a 45 usp, maybe it was my counterstrike days, but it seemed like the coolest pistol because it was supposed to be a modern day 1911. Anyways, I never got to try one out over the years and went into shooting 1911's.

i finally got to try one last year, and it felt great, close to 1911 ergonomics, high cap, and light weight. It was great until I pulled the trigger.

HK how could you get everything so rite and then screw up one of the most important parts of the gun?

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

by Cowcaster

Match trigger upgrade, son.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

Or LEM.

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009

I kind of want a usp in 9mm. What's up with that funky magazine release? How exactly does it work?

Nick L
Jun 22, 2004

Whiteboy posted:

I kind of want a usp in 9mm. What's up with that funky magazine release? How exactly does it work?

Just pull down with your strong thumb. It's quite easy, really.

Alex P Corn
Jun 4, 2005

be careful what you dream for

SOMEBODY SERIOUSLY SPENT TEN BUCKS ON THIS

Jager
Aug 4, 2003

Eeww!

A thread about HK and Warbadger hasn't posted any of his fun toys? This will have to do until then.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

Nick L posted:

Just pull down with your strong thumb. It's quite easy, really.

Or your trigger finger, or your middle finger, whatever's comfortable.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I guess Get Out is just a... piece in a jigsaw puzzle... a missing piece.

I use trigger and thumb together

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

The range I goto has all sorts of fun, prohibited (for Canada) guns available to rent, including the HK94. I tried it and it was really nice. The magazines were even unpinned so I could load them up with 30 rounds, that was a pretty weird experience for me!

I have some pics but they're all pretty lovely, combination of poor lighting and poor photography skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

«64 »