Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I agree with Nrd. High schools and sell excess power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

+1 High schools and sell power. Since High schools is 1 step closer to high tech industry. And build the state fair

What happens when toll booths get to 100% capacity?

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Forget high schools. Public education is for the ugly and the poor (also, it's a strain in our budget). Put the private school we got somewhere.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 06:28 on May 15, 2011

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I wish I could make my cities look that pretty, I know it has mods out the wazoo but it's so aesthetically pleasing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Captain Fargle posted:

In this case I'm thinking the State Fair which we haven't yet managed to build.

The state fair costs $14,000. Now that the railroad has exploded again we can afford it.

Toll booths cause traffic jams, and when they go over capacity the traffic gets worse and worse. The booth from Glendale to Brooklyn has done that now, it's over double capacity. But we're trying to force people onto rails; making road travel unpleasant may do that.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Would it be worth making double road of some sort so that we can have double to toll booths for more toll money? or are we better off making driving a chore so people pay the train companies money?

Taoto
Oct 22, 2010

Hehehe... Everything's going according to plan, right?

Grand Fromage posted:

The poor are annoyed by everything going on. This tax increase nets us an extra $7 a month. We don't have many poors.

And we're not going to get any.

Good. We don't need any poor people and their non-existent money. Might as well raise their taxes to 100% now to flush them out. Let them go live in Brooklyn and Quincy with the rest of our garbage. Rich people are the way of the future, my friends. The more of them we have, the more money we get to keep this city going.

Clearly what we need to do at this point is build the Private School and at the very least build a High School. We don't want our citizens' children to grow up pooruneducated, do we? Also, we should consider zoning a few High-Density R$$$ areas. People pay fortunes for high-rise condos in the real world, I'm sure it will work here. Glendale needs all of the rich people. All of them. In fact, give R$$$ a .5% tax cut to give incentive for them to want to come.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

I vote for the State Far and the Private School, and Trams obviously. TRAMS FOR EVERYONE!

Would I be out of line, given my history of lobbying for Trams, to eventually have a Tramway Station named after me if we ever build one?

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Frionnel posted:

Forget high schools. Public education is for the ugly and the poor (also, it's a strain in our budget). Put the private school we got somewhere.

I agree. If we let the poor people think they can get a good public education, where would that leave our upper class constituents? Let's work on the private schools first, then eventually give everyone else the education after we work on important things like a Fairground and really impressive buildings. And Trams, we need them.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The poor already get to learn math from an authentic fake Chinese man. What more could they possibly want from their education?

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Oh yeah, i forgot about trams. i support those too.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
If we ever get to a University, it should be the Sun Zhang Mechwarrior Academy. Also, our Private School should be Starfleet Academy.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

PoptartsNinja posted:

If we ever get to a University, it should be the Sun Zhang Mechwarrior Academy. Also, our Private School should be Starfleet Academy.

This! (also trams, I forgot about those guys)

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I think we've done an adequate job protecting the city from the forces of fire. At least, by secular means.

Sure, we'll by fine against natural fires, but what if some god gets angry and starts flinging holy firebolts, or lightning, or volcanoes? Right now the town has only a single church to placate a single deity. I think we should try getting a synagogue, mosque, and a hell of a lot of temples to make sure no deity would dare unleash their wrath on the town in fear of hitting their own place of worship. I read somewhere of a city that did something similar and it mostly seemed to work.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Mehuyael posted:

I think we've done an adequate job protecting the city from the forces of fire. At least, by secular means.

Sure, we'll by fine against natural fires, but what if some god gets angry and starts flinging holy firebolts, or lightning, or volcanoes? Right now the town has only a single church to placate a single deity. I think we should try getting a synagogue, mosque, and a hell of a lot of temples to make sure no deity would dare unleash their wrath on the town in fear of hitting their own place of worship. I read somewhere of a city that did something similar and it mostly seemed to work.

I think I have a friend of a friend who lived in a city where they did that and it worked, so that's a good enough reason for me! We need one of everything they got. No God should be pissed by the time we're done, as long as we don't run out of money and just leave one out.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mehuyael posted:

You know, it's kind of boring how there's no way in the base game (mods might do it maybe) to turn on random disasters. It'd be kind of awesome to have a volcano randomly open up in the middle of the financial district and have to deal with it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Part 7: Beyond the Red Line

The oldest part of town is basically as close to a downtown as we get in Glendale, so it's a logical place to start building our new rapid transit line.

The Glendale Aesthetics and General Decorativeness Committee chose this station, which you can't see very well behind those trees but whatever! It's there!

The Red Line runs in a loop around the town center.

It runs 24/7, unlike some lesser metro systems.

The Blue Line currently just extends southeast to the mall.

Where the two lines meet. Since trams are low speed there's no need for a big junction, they can make a quick turn.

Here the Red Line passes by our new high school.

Traffic graph! This is virtually impossible to do without NAM. The trams handle about 2000 trips a day. 4000 are by car. 8000 are by bus (I still haven't built any bus stations). And about 14,000 are by passenger rail, with a similar number of pedestrian trips. In the base game you'd be lucky to get 10% of your people out of their cars.

People are starting to notice the manure smell in the water.

We stick the Glendale County Fair (so we can have multiples in the region) out west, in some farms near the wind generators. It's a scenic spot.

I have no idea what I downloaded to replace the private school with this ugly piece of poo poo. I'm going to try to find out.

We've been granted a mayor's statue. The downtown roundabout was expanded in order to give us a proper setting for our magnificence.

The Glendale Tram map. At this population a tram is, frankly, totally unnecessary. However, it's good future proofing. As the city grows, we'll already have a basic rapid transit network in place to help keep traffic under control.

The budget's ridiculous surplus is still in place. We've also been granted a country club for our level of snootiness. Where should we put it?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Since our fabulous wealth is based mostly on the railways can we put in a special building for our main train station? Something truly extravagant?

Also, the Country Club should go on the shores of the lake somewhere, even up on a hill bordering the lake if possible. Let's show the wealthy how much we appreciate their tax dollars by giving them spectacular views while they duff around the golf course and get smashed at the 19th hole!

The_Censorship_Nazi
Jan 1, 2008
Banned in over 52 nations since 1946!
A country club? How positively decadent of you! Well then, if we're going to have a country club, we definitely need to give it a gorgeous location, while making sure it's within easy distance from the city. The southern shore of the lake south of town seems like a good spot, provided the land leveling and transportation aren't too expensive. I'd suggest a tram line going right to it, but that doesn't strike me as something a rich man would want to do - limos for everybody!

As for the surplus, I'd say we ought to exploit the fact that the County Fair has been provided to add a little more commercial zoning, to take advantage of the potential tourist traffic. Place it near but not right next to the fair - a Fair needs a little peaceful nature, yes? And some housing a bit further still, so that fair employees can have a short commute between their homes and their jobs...assuming anyone who actually works at the fair can afford our taxes and lifestyle!

iTrust
Mar 25, 2010

It's not good for your health.

:frogc00l:
I'd like to suggest the location I've marked in yellow here for the country club, scenic lake views nestled in the shadow of the mountains will provide an ideal place for our wealthy (best) citizens to while away their afternoon playing some golf, and the shadow of the mountains will protect them from too much rain. You could even extend the Blue Line to it, however that would depend on how willing the visitors would be to use the tram at all.

I'd like to make a proposal for the future of Glendale; once we have a sizable population and are in the green by a few hundred thousand, it may be wise to replace the tram line with a subway / el-train, as they would be faster and be able to carry more people. That is future planning however, and for the meantime the tram will suit our needs perfectly.

Finally, I like the idea of working towards a Giant Robot attack on that highway that threatens our very way of life, however I think that in order to get such a thing we'd probably need a team of University level engineers and scientists and some High Tech industry, so with that in mind I suggets we pump as much as we can into education now that we have a solid transport infrastructure, in order to reach this goal.

We should probably get a Water Treatment plant placed somewhere as well, our wealthy residents won't want gunk from their taps for long.

iTrust fucked around with this message at 13:33 on May 15, 2011

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Uhhh, unless we're driving on the left side of the road, that extended Glendale center roundabout is turning the wrong way.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Orange Devil posted:

Uhhh, unless we're driving on the left side of the road, that extended Glendale center roundabout is turning the wrong way.

There's no wrong way. It's the same way the roundabout just down the street from here works.

It does seem needlessly complicated though, so I'll reverse it. That'll reduce accidents.

Also, the tram/el-train/subways are all one network. Trams can be connected to el-train, which can be connected to the subway. I'm not sure why--trams are light rail, while el-trains/subways are heavy rail--but that's how it's set up so whatever.

iTrust
Mar 25, 2010

It's not good for your health.

:frogc00l:

Grand Fromage posted:

Also, the tram/el-train/subways are all one network. Trams can be connected to el-train, which can be connected to the subway. I'm not sure why--trams are light rail, while el-trains/subways are heavy rail--but that's how it's set up so whatever.
That'll make expanding extremely easy then, we can just use the tram network downtown and use Subways and the El to reach further away places. Not for now though, what we have now is comfortable enough.

That is one weird roundabout structure though :raise:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Our British traffic engineer was drinking while laying out the new roundabout. He has been suitably reprimanded.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Grand Fromage posted:

There's no wrong way. It's the same way the roundabout just down the street from here works.

I don't doubt you, but at the same time I just can't believe that. Unless where you live people drive on the left side of the road, that is a horrible roundabout.

Taoto
Oct 22, 2010

Hehehe... Everything's going according to plan, right?

iTrust posted:

I'd like to suggest the location I've marked in yellow here for the country club, scenic lake views nestled in the shadow of the mountains will provide an ideal place for our wealthy (best) citizens to while away their afternoon playing some golf, and the shadow of the mountains will protect them from too much rain. You could even extend the Blue Line to it, however that would depend on how willing the visitors would be to use the tram at all.

Perfect spot. Can't think of a better one. And get us some Water Treatment or else our rich people will leave.

As far as our Giant Robot is concerned, we need to get this done as quickly as possible. Our citizens have a lot of money and they need to have it protected. Plus, we can setup hotels along the borders of our town, then charge huge admission fees so people can have a front row seat to watch them terrorize Brooklyn.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Orange Devil posted:

I don't doubt you, but at the same time I just can't believe that. Unless where you live people drive on the left side of the road, that is a horrible roundabout.

Oh, it's a horrible roundabout. There are three sets of traffic lights in it, and no one really pays attention to lanes in Korea. The problem is you're thinking logically; we don't do that here.

I also may not have been paying attention when I built it.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Ugh, I'd love to be able to build cities like you do, but I can't ever seem to plan ahead for public transportation and end up with hundreds of tenements and office skyscrapers all connected with roads :(

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Bene Elim posted:

But...but... Melbourne's tram system is awesome. Why not use that?

I work at the airport. Trams are awesome only if you're travelling around the inner city and going a short distance. I would take them to get to Brunswick when I go drinking... except there aren't any lines running east/west. They pretty much just radiate in a star pattern out of the city. This is also what the train lines do, and they take 25 minutes less time, so I'm not sure what the point is.

Nothing beats subways for actual usable public transport, but in overwhelmingly suburban-sprawl cities (which all Australian cities are) you can't really have them. Yet another reason why suburban sprawl sucks.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Hey, I'm dumb!

This is the roundabout in question, and it is indeed a right turn, not a left. In my defense, there's no reason to own a car in Korea so I've never actually driven through it.

So, thank you for pointing out my error.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I honestly don't understand the point of roundabouts. How do they work?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

PureRok posted:

I honestly don't understand the point of roundabouts. How do they work?

The wiki article is pretty good. The two big points are:

Much safer. Fewer accidents, and the accidents that do occur are less dangerous because cars are moving slower and hitting each other at an angle instead of straight on.

Less congestion. There aren't any signals, just yields to enter the roundabout, so traffic is moving more or less continuously.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Silly American!

They are pretty awesome on low-traffic roads, once you get them on dual carriageways and heavy traffic arteries they're not so good. Basically, when you approach one you just give way to your right (or left, I guess, if you are driving on the right). That way everybody is giving way to the person to their right and receiving way from the person to their left, and it goes round the circle like that. Much better than traffic lights, on quiet suburban streets.

edit - in addition to GF's points, I would assume they are also much cheaper to build and maintain than traffic lights, and still work during blackouts.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Since I got this link from the last Sim City LP, it's only fair I drop it back in this one. All your traffic questions answered. There's even a few discussions about roundabouts.

edit: Slightly too slow there :)

Wolfsbane fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 15, 2011

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Loving the LP!

Since this is the closest thing we have to a city building thread at the moment and most of my childhood involved the various Sim City games are there any good SC like games? I know there is Cities XL I think the newest is 2011 but it has very average reviews.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
The Country Club should go in the centre of the lake! You must be rich enough to afford a boat to be a member.

Arvannies
Apr 13, 2005
I am concerned for our fair city. We have fabulous wealth, a gently caress the poor attitude, and what do we have to protect ourselves from the other nearby towns? A paltry, tiny, military base? They obviously covet our utopian way of life and we must pro-actively protect our town.
You know what to do.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

I vote for the Country Club, Water Treatment Plant, Giant Robot and More Trams.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

Bene Elim posted:

The Country Club should go in the centre of the lake! You must be rich enough to afford a boat to be a member.

If the lake is big enough to make the island not look stupid, I totally agree with this. But we should include a passenger ferry so that extravagant homes can get to work from the island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:

Disappointing Pie posted:

Loving the LP!

Since this is the closest thing we have to a city building thread at the moment and most of my childhood involved the various Sim City games are there any good SC like games? I know there is Cities XL I think the newest is 2011 but it has very average reviews.

This is Fromage's LP, There's a SimCity thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2783218&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1
which is a lot more appropriate for this kind of talk, but since you asked I'll say that SC4 is still the top game in the genre. It has good modding support and a decent community.

Everyone had high hopes for CitiesXL, but the studio made some terrible design decisions. One of it's biggest problems is that you have to place every building on the map yourself (as opposed to SC4 which relies on RCI density zoning). This makes all your cities very static and takes away many interesting gameplay elements (gentrification for example). in SC4 the city constantly evolves and responds to player decisions while in CXL you're just painting pretty pictures of cityscapes until you get bored because it all ends up looking extremely generic after a while. SC4 also has better terraforming tools and more choices for transportation.

That said, CXL'11 has a few interesting gameplay elements worth mentioning. My personal favorite is the CXL bus/subway system. It's quite detailed and allows you to customize individual bus lines and create a good public transportation network for your city. However it's not worth the full price. If you find it on sale for less than <$10 you should get it to fool around with.
Personally, I'm a bit fed up with modern 3D games that end up being bad parodies of extremely complex classic games. CXL vs SC4, Cities in Motion vs OpenTTD, Patrician IV vs III etc. They're all good for fooling around for a few hours, but you always just end up going back to the old game.

PS: Here are a few good games worth checking out. Anno 1404 and Tropico 3.

Edit: I absolutely love the Light Rail update. I always thought it was a pain in the rear end to build them myself, but they look very nice.

zalmoxes fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 15, 2011

• Locked thread