Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Absolutely gotta be rounded, no two ways about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Solo
Oct 23, 2004

I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Ron Burgundy posted:

Was the original 35mm theatrical print 1:85:1 or academy cropped?

Academy (1.375:1), but all evidence points to the Director of Photography having framed and shot the film in the full "Silent" (1:33:1) aspect ratio with no knowledge that it would ever be cropped down in post. It's important to remember that, no matter what we do here, we'll be intentionally throwing out the ratio in which the film was theatrically projected in favor of one that better reflects the filmmaker's (inexperienced) intentions.

What you're seeing here are really just two alternate ways of presenting the same full aspect ratio: neither rounded or squared can be considered 'more authentic' than the other, and one can find examples of both methods in use on home video to present films in this ratio, particularly from the silent era. As we're working from a 2K Full master that accurately represents the resolution of the original film elements, there is no concern about losing resolution or overamplifying the grain, regardless of which presentation is used.

What it really boils down to is that one approach is "Hollywood", and the other is "Home Movie". But which one more accurately describes Manos?

I would like to know, in particular, what bothers people the most about the rounded presentation- the lack of square corners, or the visibility of dirt recorded in the film gate. If it's the latter, I'm thinking that a happy medium could be found between cleanliness of frame and the amount of image shown.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
I think having it squared off is the way to go. Showing the contents of the film is what's most important, not the rounded edges of it. Over the course of the entire film it'd be more of a distraction than anything else.

That being said, it'd be neat to see some scenes with the full rounded frame as bonus content.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I'll throw my hat in for square corners; I agree that rounded ones could get distracting.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

You guys are all crazy.

Bluecobra
Sep 11, 2001

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades
Can't you just put both versions on the same disc? The movie is only 74 minutes long.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Rounded would look better projected.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Rounded all the way. I can't describe why but it just feels right for Manos.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Rounded for sure. I think the "home movie" argument is pretty good.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

They thought they were making a for-real Hollywood quality movie, so I say square it off. The mistakes in framing aren't charming unless they actually cut something off.

That said, if the main movie is squared off I'd want to see plenty of extras in full frame to show us those mistakes.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Rounded makes it look like something Nick Cage watched in 8MM so yes, rounded.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

The rounded just feels right. Especially for Manos. But I wouldn't mind it being squared either.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Absolutely gotta be rounded, no two ways about it.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

You guys are all crazy.

Seriously. Rounded fits the movie so well.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I'm also a fan of rounded. It somehow makes the movie look more...timeless?

Krakox
Oct 9, 2012
I throw my hat in the ring for rounded as well. It adds a real Je ne Sais Quoi to it.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

Ben Solo posted:

Fascinating technical information.

I have to jump on the rounded wagon here. I can always crop it myself later, I can't uncrop it.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Serious movies get square corners. Manos should have square corners.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Ron Burgundy posted:

I have to jump on the rounded wagon here. I can always crop it myself later, I can't uncrop it.

He makes a convincing argument. Fine. If we go rounded over squared, I'd be ok with it. :shobon:

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Round that poo poo, son. Manos is basically a travelogue of a family going through a (boring) nightmare rather than a movie.

dihaploidy
Oct 31, 2010

Buglord
It's gotta be rounded. As Personperson14 put it, it just feels right.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Rounded all the way here, too. This is about preserving the work as it was made, not turning it into something marketable.

Others can always release another version down the road if it doesn't look "right" to them. Once it's cropped, it can't be un-cropped.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
I vote squared. This is a restoration to present it as intended by the filmmakers - just because the filmmakers were amateurs doesn't mean you should make any otherwise-unusual decisions to showcase their amateurishness. I.e., you wouldn't do open-matte and show boom mics and stuff if they had shot on Super35.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

The answer is both, obviously. Square for the main, rounded as a special feature.

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

gently caress it, lets just square off the the top left and bottom right corners. Web 2.0 all the way!!! AMIRITE!

I'm okay with either way.

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008
Maybe put on that annoying filter where you darken the corners.

No I don't focus on that when I see it in modern films, why do you ask?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Why not use proper 1.33:1 extraction with rounded corners? That way, you get a bit more picture, but not all the way to the edge.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

In other Manos news, the Manos video game is in this week's Humble Weekly Bundle. Pay what you want for it (and a couple other games) and get it on Windows and Android.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

A backer-only update came out today that said Synapse won't even begin putting the release together until after the new year. :sigh: It is what it is, but their priorities are naturally not going to be the same as ours would be. No release date yet, but I'm hoping it'll be before the end of the first quarter. The end's gotta be in sight...

One thing I was wondering and I can't remember if it was asked Ben, is how much creative control would you have with the release? Obviously you supplied the restoration itself and supplemental features for it, but do you have any say in things like the packaging artwork?

Ballz fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Dec 13, 2013

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

You guys are all crazy.

Yeah, what the gently caress?

Rounded, dude. Go with rounded.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Ballz posted:

A backer-only update came out today that said Synapse won't even begin putting the release together until after the new year. :sigh: It is what it is, but their priorities are naturally not going to be the same as ours would be. No release date yet, but I'm hoping it'll be before the end of the first quarter. The end's gotta be in sight...
I've appreciated Ben's openness (when not constrained by pending agreements, legal threats, etc) about the reasons for delays, but at this point I'm having trouble mustering up any interest or excitement about the release. Maybe a firm date will help, but for me it's been hovering in limbo so long that I just don't care that much anymore.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
A lot of these delays have been out of his hands. I never looked at this as a product order, and I am still looking forward to the release. :)

Almost wonder if there will be a release party with a Rent-a-Torgo.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Synapse takes their sweet, sweet, sweet loving time putting out discs, but their sheer dedication to putting out the best they can (to the point of throwing away entire transfers because studios applied DNR in the clean-up process) makes it completely worth it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'd say square but with a special feature of a few scenes in their entirety chosen as those where rounded shows you the most edge stuff.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

I honestly can't decide between the versions, so I'll say just try to go with whatever makes everyone happy. Although with how the votes are seeming to be split, that may be a little hard.

That said, I had assumed that I would have had a Bluray player of some kind by now, but so far it may be a good while before that actually happens. There's going to be some kind of strange poeticness in my getting one just so I can watch Manos on it. :allears:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Jackey Raye Neyman-Jones' latest blog entry on Debbie's Manos dishes a bit of dirt on the Manos sequel, for those of us interested in more about what a trainwreck that was for all involved. She mentions that apparently another group of people are working on a prequel, too.

In other news Manos: The Hands of Felt is nearing DVD release. I found out about this one too late to back on Kickstarter, but I do think I'll be picking up a copy. It sounds pretty awesome, to be honest.

Ben Solo
Oct 23, 2004

I take care of the place while the Master is away.
Since releasing the "Manos" soundtrack on Bandcamp under a creative commons license, I've gotten many links to uses of the music. However, this is by far the weirdest place I've seen it pop up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpZhrmYt7rA

One of the last things we're adding to the disc is a brief discussion of the Filmo 70, the model of 16mm camera used to shoot Manos: The Hands of Fate. It's such a beautiful piece of machinery that I couldn't resist the chance to talk about the effects it had on the production, both positive and negative. In addition to camera geekery, this supplement should help underline just how much discipline was required for independent film production in the 1960s. If you've ever been frustrated by the limited recording time of today's DSLRs, imagine having to carefully replace a 100 foot daylight spool every two minutes and forty-five seconds of shooting. And, if you're accustomed to focusing by eye, imagine not being able to both frame the image and check critical focus at the same time.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

Ben Solo posted:

Since releasing the "Manos" soundtrack on Bandcamp under a creative commons license, I've gotten many links to uses of the music. However, this is by far the weirdest place I've seen it pop up.

That was weird, and when the dialogue from the film kicked in at the end was the icing on the cake.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ben Solo posted:

:staredog:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Ben's recently been posting lots of pictures of Diane Mahree (Margaret) on the set, as well as some other material from her career after Manos.

Check out this cover from a 1970s copy of an Italian edition Harper's Bazaar:

:wow:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Ben Solo posted:

One of the last things we're adding to the disc is a brief discussion of the Filmo 70, the model of 16mm camera used to shoot Manos: The Hands of Fate. It's such a beautiful piece of machinery that I couldn't resist the chance to talk about the effects it had on the production, both positive and negative. In addition to camera geekery, this supplement should help underline just how much discipline was required for independent film production in the 1960s. If you've ever been frustrated by the limited recording time of today's DSLRs, imagine having to carefully replace a 100 foot daylight spool every two minutes and forty-five seconds of shooting. And, if you're accustomed to focusing by eye, imagine not being able to both frame the image and check critical focus at the same time.

That old camera stuff is so interesting to me. I've never seen the film but want to buy the restoration when it's done.

• Locked thread