Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Alan Smithee posted:

Their facebook page just went down too. The last thing he said? "I was the production director at Burton Design Group before leavving to start my own adventure"

riiiiiight.

Here is the guy they stole their character pictures from: http://genzoman.deviantart.com/

Here's "their" Anubis: http://genzoman.deviantart.com/gallery/?q=anubis

And here's Ra: http://genzoman.deviantart.com/gallery/?q=Ra#/d1bnzom

If someone has a Deviant Art account, maybe let the guy know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

there's still about 42 days left. I'm confident it won't make it but if it did I would feel soooo dirty (plus minimum is 5 bucks)

No, minimum is still $1, $5 is just the lowest prize level.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
^^:argh:

Alan Smithee posted:

there's still about 42 days left. I'm confident it won't make it but if it did I would feel soooo dirty (plus minimum is 5 bucks)

No, that's the minimum for a reward tier, you can always pledge a minimum of $1, just click the green button at the top. The only reason I put a $1 reward tier in mine is because NO ONE realizes this :|

speng31b
May 8, 2010

LumberingTroll posted:

Someone should pledge a dollar and post in the comment sections, if it doesn't go through, you dont get charged a buck.

I would, but my Kickstarter is about to go live...

I'm going to do this, but be might be better if some others joined me. It's worth a buck to expose these assholes.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Uh oh, octoroon, you're proper hosed now! THEY'RE FACEBOOK SUING YOU!

I sent them a note asking why I've seen "their" concept art on other peoples' galleries.

Here is their reply:

A bunch of liars and thieves posted:

The in game screen shots are from OUR game environments and our concept work was purchased 6 months ago (yes the concepts were outsourced as we did not have an artist on staff to produce high end hand done work). We have just taken action against an individual who was abusing our face book accounts and have filed accordingly as with the Facebook staff. We have put in a lot of man hours into our game so far and the idea of our project being a scam is absurd. If you have any furthure questions feel free to ask as we are trying to clear this whole thing up as it has become a mess and deeply affected us. Thank you

EDIT:

Oh and the picture they're using as their logo?

Stolen.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 28, 2012

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Der Shovel posted:

Uh oh, octoroon, you're proper hosed now! THEY'RE FACEBOOK SUING YOU!

I sent them a note asking why I've seen "their" concept art on other peoples' galleries.

Here is their reply:

Yeah that seems like it's about par for the course. I really don't think they'll get funded, but if they even get close that's very scary stuff. I'm seriously considering starting up a "ScamStarter" site where people can report really obvious scams with KickStarter and other crowdsourcing sites. Also I'll probably put some effort into contacting the artists whose work they've stolen later to confirm for 100% fact that they weren't legitimately licensed.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
The only thing that would make it perfect is if they registered an account here on SA to pimp their scam kickstarter. Someone should invite them. :allears:

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
God drat they are terrible liars. So they outsourced the concept art 6 months ago, but the contest is over a year old. drat those time traveling artists!

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

octoroon posted:

Yeah that seems like it's about par for the course. I really don't think they'll get funded, but if they even get close that's very scary stuff. I'm seriously considering starting up a "ScamStarter" site where people can report really obvious scams with KickStarter and other crowdsourcing sites. Also I'll probably put some effort into contacting the artists whose work they've stolen later to confirm for 100% fact that they weren't legitimately licensed.

I'm loving the sound of this idea.

Fintilgin posted:

The only thing that would make it perfect is if they registered an account here on SA to pimp their scam kickstarter. Someone should invite them. :allears:

That'd be a pretty amusing waste of :10bux:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Electric Pope posted:

God drat they are terrible liars. So they outsourced the concept art 6 months ago, but the contest is over a year old. drat those time traveling artists!

And then they outsourced this Genzoman to do some art for them back in 2007 and be allowed to use that art for a TCG he was working on at the time. Amazing.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Urdnot Fire posted:

That'd be a pretty amusing waste of :10bux:

Hey, it worked for the M3CH guys.

vvvv it worked in the sense of an "amusing waste of :10bux:"

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 28, 2012

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

Hey, it worked for the M3CH guys.

Yes, because they made such a great impression when they posted here.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

If they were on the level, this would be really easy for them to clear up.

Have the artists speak up and confirm they bought the concept art pieces. Release untextured (or even unlit) versions of their "in-game" art.

Boom, that'd be it.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Der Shovel posted:

If they were on the level, this would be really easy for them to clear up.

Have the artists speak up and confirm they bought the concept art pieces. Release untextured (or even unlit) versions of their "in-game" art.

Boom, that'd be it.

Right. If they had even made the effort to create a proper business website for "Little Monster Productions" I probably wouldn't have bothered investigating further. I mean, a game company with zero Google footprint and no press contact info? Nothing? That is some Twilight Zone poo poo right there.

e: A few of us have posted comments on their KickStarter page. Thanks whoever you are, Mark.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Looks like the Grim Fairy Tales kickstarter is actually going to get funded. If you ever wanted to see the kickstarter lead get choked out by the creator of Metalocalypse, you should check out these videos.

Also, I find out that comic book fans are pretty avid collectors, since digital copies of the TV show don't encourage them to back the project ... physical comic copies and shot glasses and figurines do.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/212378023/grimm-fairy-tales-animated-series/posts

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I am amazed thought that the rear end in a top hat had the guts to appear on video and give his (possibly) real name out. I figured the pitch video would be all concept art and text for improved anonymity. He really must have thought no one was going to call him out or knew how to use tineye.

What a poo poo!

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
The only name attached to these guys is "Seth Westfall" or something like that. He's this fucker, from their pitch video.

That's literally the only name we have out of a company that claims "If you enjoyed playing WOW between 2009-2011, or Diablo 2 then you are very welcome! We worked many hard years to put a part of each of us into those titles."

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Maybe he means they stuck their dicks through the CDs.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hahaha and now it's dead. Cancelled! Nice work everyone.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
/\/\/\/\ EDIT: Boom! Headshot!

He probably agonized a long time over how much to ask for. How much is enough to change my life and put me on easy street for a couple years V.S. How much can I plausibly scam with a minimum of effort?

He was so proud of himself and was sitting around day dreaming of blowing past a million buck like Banner Saga, and...

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Great job everyone. Allow this to be the legacy of Seth Westfall.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
He's probably really angry right now and feels like HE'S just been cheated out HIS easy money. It makes you smile, it does. :dance:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

How soon until it's posted on IndieGogo?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

I don't know, but I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for this guy. I just noticed it was cancelled as I was about to send off a message to Burton Design Group, I doubt they would have been too thrilled about someone claiming to have been an ex-employee accusing them of "shady money practices."

Also, this whole debacle has made me pretty serious about the idea of putting up a "ScamStarter" site for reporting this kind of stuff publicly. Does anyone else think that would be worth doing? If it's a dumb idea I won't waste my time, but it seems like it could be a legitimately helpful niche to fill.

e: Oh wow, not only is their page gone but the user is gone from KickStarter entirely. Is it even possible to delete your account, or did KickStarter ban them? I'm thinking probably the latter, it seems weird that they'd be defending their product with dumb lies and then give in like 2 minutes later.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 28, 2012

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Fintilgin posted:

He's probably really angry right now and feels like HE'S just been cheated out HIS easy money. It makes you smile, it does. :dance:

And he appears to have deleted his Kickstarter page in a huff, too. Wonder how much longer the website will remain open.

octoroon posted:

Also, this whole debacle has made me pretty serious about the idea of putting up a "ScamStarter" site for reporting this kind of stuff publicly. Does anyone else think that would be worth doing? If it's a dumb idea I won't waste my time, but it seems like it could be a legitimately helpful niche to fill.

It would not be a terrible idea to make a Tumblr or something, a la Shitstarter.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

octoroon posted:

I don't know, but I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for this guy. I just noticed it was cancelled as I was about to send off a message to Burton Design Group, I doubt they would have been too thrilled about someone claiming to have been an ex-employee accusing them of "shady money practices."

Hard to say. I suppose it would depend on how much time and effort it would take you. The real threat isn't incompetent, half-assed bastards like Seth here, but people who put some due diligence and effort into their scam.

Sadly, if someone actually went about this in a semi-competent manner I think it could be extremely difficult to detect. Especially if they were willing to be modest with their goal.

Personally, if I were Kickstarter, after Double Fine blew up I would have used some of that money to literally hire a full-time Video Game Scam Detection Man.

Mythic posted:

Our team has done a significant amount of work on the World of Warcraft series as well as Diablo 2 and the original Starcraft. The time to be an elite team as apposed to one of thousands was upon us. The call was strong and here we are!

:pwn:

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

octoroon posted:

This instance clocked at a bit below 12 hours from discovery to cancellation. I'm not sure a dedicated site will improve much on that. Also, and you may call me an optimist, I doubt there will be enough scams to warrant a dedicated watchdog, or make one very interesting and/or trafficked.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Fair enough, I'll probably just leave it alone.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
But we have no idea how many suspicious Kickstarters there are out there in non-game fields.

(We also have no idea how awful it might be if we call out a legitimate company as a scam and their name gets dragged through the mud, though)

Fintilgin posted:

Sadly, if someone actually went about this in a semi-competent manner I think it could be extremely difficult to detect. Especially if they were willing to be modest with their goal.
I think it would be legitimately impossible to detect if they were even half-way honest and put a modicum of effort into the fraud. An up-front $1,000 investment to pay a real artist to create good unique art and someone shamelessly willing to appear in a video and be charismatic could probably make off with tens of thousands for sure. But at least you could only do one scam per real-life person :shepface:

I donated and can still write on the wall--we should have the Ridiculed Failed Mythic Project as our own personal elite hang-out club forever :waycool:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Quarex posted:

I donated and can still write on the wall--we should have the Ridiculed Failed Mythic Project as our own personal elite hang-out club forever :waycool:

God, now I wish I had donated a buck.

:Something Awful accidentally ironically funds Mythic:

Quodio Stotes
Aug 8, 2010

by angerbot
How much effort do you have to put into starting a kickstarter? I have a funny idea that I am going to set the goal at $100 and I will follow through with my promise to completion.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

octoroon posted:

Definitively useful until Kickstarter gets a big Report Scam button. If you want to go all the way and even buy a domain for it, I'll offer you hosting. Doing my part in keeping Kickstarter clean.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Quodio Stotes posted:

How much effort do you have to put into starting a kickstarter? I have a funny idea that I am going to set the goal at $100 and I will follow through with my promise to completion.

They do some vetting though. You can't just put any old thing up. I thought I read in GBS that a mod wanted to make a kickstarter to make and eat a sandwich or something similarly goofy and kickstarter rejected it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

The only name attached to these guys is "Seth Westfall" or something like that. He's this fucker, from their pitch video.

That's literally the only name we have out of a company that claims "If you enjoyed playing WOW between 2009-2011, or Diablo 2 then you are very welcome! We worked many hard years to put a part of each of us into those titles."

Oh noes guys, what if we just ruined the reputation of totally legitimate and renowned game developer Seth Westfall who once game tested your favorite game? :smith:

Fintilgin posted:

God, now I wish I had donated a buck.

:Something Awful accidentally ironically funds Mythic:

"Goons, Mythic is a scam, to the comments!"

*80,000 goons donate a dollar to join backer comments section*

FUNDING SUCCESSFUL

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Alan Smithee posted:

Oh noes guys, what if we just ruined the reputation of totally legitimate and renowned game developer Seth Westfall who once game tested your favorite game? :smith:

Dude's gonna get a lot of poo poo when he shows up for his shift at Gamestop in the morning. :ohdear:

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

Definitively useful until Kickstarter gets a big Report Scam button. If you want to go all the way and even buy a domain for it, I'll offer you hosting. Doing my part in keeping Kickstarter clean.

Thanks for the offer, I'm going to give it some serious thought. If I were to do something like this, I would want to do it right to minimize the possibility of trashing legitimate products.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

octoroon posted:

Thanks for the offer, I'm going to give it some serious thought. If I were to do something like this, I would want to do it right to minimize the possibility of trashing legitimate products.

Kickstarter needs a Helldump.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Al! posted:

Kickstarter needs a Helldump.

Two Worlds Kickstarter

Help Two Worlds realize the outerworld and innerworld by-

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Quodio Stotes posted:

You have to at least make a video, so if you can't do that you can't make a kickstarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

You have to at least make a video, so if you can't do that you can't make a kickstarter.

I've seen Kickstarters that just had pictures before.