Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I want to say there's a Gift in a splat somewhere that radically extends lifespan, but drat if I can remember where. It'd make sense for it to be a Bone Gnawer specialization, though, since all their best Gifts are about survival.

It's not uncommon in other media for werewolves to be long-lived/functionally immortal, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I'm honestly not sure what a really old werewolf would look like. I mean, most people die from illness, but I don't think werewolves even get sick. Parts might keep failing and then regenerating. I suppose you'd want to stay out of your native form as much as possible to keep the regeneration going.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gilok posted:

I'm honestly not sure what a really old werewolf would look like. I mean, most people die from illness, but I don't think werewolves even get sick. Parts might keep failing and then regenerating. I suppose you'd want to stay out of your native form as much as possible to keep the regeneration going.

I think the bigger problem is harano, werewolf depression. Some of the tribes, Get of Fenris and Wendigo, also have a stigma against old people if I'm remembering correctly and expect them to go on a suicide run before they become a burden.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Gilok posted:

Well, regeneration means they don't look as old as they are. And people into their 90s can still look badass.

(I know bodybuilding has little to do with combat muscle, but it goes to show that not everyone over the age of 80 is a physical wreck).

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So I've been out of the loop and was going through the Blood and Smoke book to make a character for a game, and am I loving crazy or are the Ventrue and Daeva favored attributes totally backwards? Daeva get Manipulation when Majesty hinges mostly on Presence, and Ventrue get Presence when Dominate hinges mostly on Manipulation. What the gently caress?

EDIT: Re-read the rolls... that's really not intuitive for most of the powers.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 11, 2014

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Fuzz posted:

So I've been out of the loop and was going through the Blood and Smoke book to make a character for a game, and am I loving crazy or are the Ventrue and Daeva favored attributes totally backwards? Daeva get Manipulation when Majesty hinges mostly on Presence, and Ventrue get Presence when Dominate hinges mostly on Manipulation. What the gently caress?

EDIT: Re-read the rolls... that's really not intuitive for most of the powers.

Of all the things to worry about in Blood & Smoke, its the boring integral increase? That it creates more 4/3 characters rather than 5/2 characters isn't a bug, its a feature. A piece of Tragic Irony that emphasizes your own broken nature to go along with your dead soul and your insatiable lust for little boysblood, if you will.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
But... Dominate uses Intelligence.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Wish you did.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Is Hunter: the Vigil supposed to be a semi-lighthearted game? Because I really didn't get that impression from skimming the books, but the LARP campaign of it I was recently in was actually pretty drat silly for the most part (to the point where it was kind of jarring when dark poo poo happened).

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Is Hunter: the Vigil supposed to be a semi-lighthearted game? Because I really didn't get that impression from skimming the books, but the LARP campaign of it I was recently in was actually pretty drat silly for the most part (to the point where it was kind of jarring when dark poo poo happened).

That's pretty typical, every LARP that I've been in tended to emphasize bonhomie rather than sturm and drang; why else would you be spending your day in an uncomfortable costume with a gang of random weirdos unless you were encouraged to enjoy your time rather than mull over the tragedy of your existence?

What was your experience like, if you don't mind me asking?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

This larp chat reminds me of this one website I saw where a guy said his best larp experience was sitting in a corner cutting himself and crying because his character had depression

Yue
Jun 3, 2012

CUT, CUT, CUT! I said MORE prancing, damnit!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u7SdObMKro

Encountering your Fetch.mp3

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Gerund posted:

What was your experience like, if you don't mind me asking?

It was interesting. I had some pretty neat character plot, and I pretty much shat all over any combat encounters I was in because of my build, but I didn't really feel that connected to the main plot (Godmachine stuff) even though my cell was supposedly the main protagonists of sorts. I was actually kind of kept out of the loop for a while.

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 13, 2014

Tiemrhon
Jul 27, 2010

SALT CURES HAM posted:

The Hunter games that I've run have ended up being pretty silly, though I've managed to weave a mostly serious plot through it. It's just...when my players ask me if they can weaponize butter, sometimes the response just has to be 30-foot corncobs.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Tiemrhon posted:

The Hunter games that I've run have ended up being pretty silly, though I've managed to weave a mostly serious plot through it. It's just...when my players ask me if they can weaponize butter, sometimes the response just has to be 30-foot corncobs.

Things like this make me think I should shelve the Mage plot I've been working on and go tinker with my Cheiron-hunting-fae idea.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
http://www.ccpgames.com/en/public-relations/press-releases/article/77171/ccp-games-halts-development-of-world-of-darkness-mmo/

quote:

CCP Games Halts Development of World of Darkness MMO
April 14, 2014

CCP Games today announced that they have cancelled the World of Darkness massively multiplayer online (MMO) game project in development in their Atlanta, GA studio.

As a result of the change, 56 employees of the Atlanta studio have lost their jobs. Some team members have been offered roles on other projects inside the company, and CCP has provided severance packages and job placement assistance for those affected.

The remaining team in Atlanta will focus on games in the EVE Universe, which will mark the first time since 2006 that the entirety of CCP will be working on a single universe.

CCP CEO Hilmar Veigar Pétursson:

The decision to end the World of Darkness MMO project is one of the hardest I’ve ever had to make. I have always loved and valued the idea of a sandbox experience set in that universe, and over the years I’ve watched the team passionately strive to make that possible.

I would like to give special thanks to everyone who worked so hard to make the World of Darkness MMO a reality, especially the team members affected by this decision. Their considerable contribution to CCP will not be forgotten, and we wish them well.

To our current and former employees and fans of World of Darkness, I am truly sorry that we could not deliver the experience that we aspired to make. We dreamed of a game that would transport you completely into the sweeping fantasy of World of Darkness, but had to admit that our efforts were falling regretfully short. One day I hope we will make it up to you.

Although this was a tough decision that affects our friends and family, uniting the company behind the EVE Universe will put us in a stronger position moving forward, and we are more committed than ever to solidify EVE as the biggest gaming universe in the world.

Welp, so much for that, but we all kinda expected this.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I wonder if they'll continue the current situation of licensing the IP to Onyx Path and BNS or if they'll sell it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I give zero fucks about a WoD MMO per se, but I kinda wish it had outlived the Pathfinder MMO out of sheer spite.

As for the IP, I hope they either continue licensing it or sell it to someone who will actually use it. Tabletop IPs often get sold to companies that sit on them indefinitely. I think the TORG IP is held by some German minis company with no current plans to develop it.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
World of Darkness, the MMO that was definitely an actual thing and going to be released at any time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgYScVhAjjw

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Yeah, it's not perfect, but Onyx Path is definitely the best of available options for keeping wod alive, so if only to keep OP I hope CCP doesn't totally ditch the IP.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Now that the oWoD MMO is slain, someone hire me to design the nWoD MMO. Well, thanks. Bye.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Ferrinus posted:

Now that the oWoD MMO is slain, someone hire me to design the nWoD MMO. Well, thanks. Bye.

This but with me and unironically.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
I'd honestly be happy with another VTM/VTR computer game.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Yeah, honestly, making it an MMO is itself a mistake. The Vampire: the Requiem needs to a single-player CRPG.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Ferrinus posted:

Yeah, honestly, making it an MMO is itself a mistake. The Vampire: the Requiem needs to a single-player CRPG.

Yes, but on the condition that you keep the Malkavians basically the same/port them into Requiem.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Ferrinus posted:

Yeah. If they would have taken the bare bones of Bloodlines and opened it up to be more like a sandbox Bethesda game I'd have been delighted.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Error 404 posted:

Yes, but on the condition that you keep the Malkavians basically the same/port them into Requiem.

The "Malkavia as a toggled trance state" rules my group is using in our Vampire game have proved sick as hell, so yes.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Edit: they may have been stupid monkey cheese bullshit in the books, but Bloodline's malks imo struck the perfect blend of lolrandom, useful, and "I can see the strings that control the world :psyduck: " and regardless of the fiction, any vidja game vampires should try and keep them or raise the bar.

Bosushi! posted:

Yeah. If they would have taken the bare bones of Bloodlines and opened it up to be more like a sandbox Bethesda game I'd have been delighted.

Given current gen tech, this is not only a good idea, but (relatively) piss easy to do, as long as one is willing to spend the time/budget on a team that will make a million little quests and locations or whatever in a city.

GTA+Skyrim basically. Hell, they can even make a barebones online bit if they really want ala GTA 5.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 14, 2014

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Error 404 posted:

Edit: they may have been stupid monkey cheese bullshit in the books, but Bloodline's malks imo struck the perfect blend of lolrandom, useful, and "I can see the strings that control the world :psyduck: " and regardless of the fiction, any vidja game vampires should try and keep them or raise the bar.

Given current gen tech, this is not only a good idea, but (relatively) piss easy to do, as long as one is willing to spend the time/budget on a team that will make a million little quests and locations or whatever in a city.

GTA+Skyrim basically. Hell, they can even make a barebones online bit if they really want ala GTA 5.

Yeah, though the major limitation there would be managing to maintain a cohesive narrative, since as a series the primary drive of the game is intrigue and heavy story, and open world games generally fall short in that department.

Honestly, the easiest route for them to get people into WoD as a whole would be to make an open world Hunter the Vigil game where you get to hunt and murderate all the other stuff and you get glimpses into their little worlds.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Error 404 posted:

I think the key to doing Malkavians well is to make absolutely sure that it's "I can see the strings that control the world, and it's made me a little crazy" rather than "I'm a little crazy, which is why I can see the strings that control the world."

I think Malkavians are largely more satisfying in play when they're like... unhinged and cryptic, pop-culture "crazy", rather than genuinely and tragically mentally ill. Like... every vampire in the world is going to have psychological problems, the maddening insight into the secret fractal logic that controls all causality should be its own thing with its own associated behavior patterns.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Ferrinus posted:

I think the key to doing Malkavians well is to make absolutely sure that it's "I can see the strings that control the world, and it's made me a little crazy" rather than "I'm a little crazy, which is why I can see the strings that control the world."

I think Malkavians are largely more satisfying in play when they're like... unhinged and cryptic, pop-culture "crazy", rather than genuinely and tragically mentally ill. Like... every vampire in the world is going to have psychological problems, the maddening insight into the secret fractal logic that controls all causality should be its own thing with its own associated behavior patterns.

In other words, Malkavians should be Mel Gibson's character from the movie Conspiracy Theory, not Mel Gibson as he is in real life. :shepface:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The impression I get from Malkavians in Bloodlines 90% of the time is "I can see the strings that control the world, and it makes me talk in dog-fuckingly awful goth poetry."

quote:

Your father's darker daughter said she would forgive the hiding worm...

You are the whiteness, she of alabaster and ivory...

Until our shattered selves once again collide...

You wear jealousy like a thorned crown, dark one...
Seems like everyone mostly remembers the good stuff like the argument with the stop sign and the conversation with the TV, and not the heaps of absolute crap.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Halloween Jack posted:

The impression I get from Malkavians in Bloodlines 90% of the time is "I can see the strings that control the world, and it makes me talk in dog-fuckingly awful goth poetry."

Seems like everyone mostly remembers the good stuff like the argument with the stop sign and the conversation with the TV, and not the heaps of absolute crap.

No, that's what I mean when I said they struck a balance. The dialogue you quoted is part of the charm.

It is awful poetry, and that poo poo is hilarious yo.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Talking like that is kind of fun, and highly cryptic and allusive language is kind of what one expects out of a crazed seer. It's why we set it up so that the basic effect of suffering Malkavia, like, the experience of someone who's somehow contracted it or had it inflicted upon them but who hasn't learned how to control or tap into it, is synaesthesia-except-with-metaphors. Instead of seeing the number 9 as a shade of red or associating a sandpaper texture with the smell of cinnamon, you start having problems telling between cars and abacus beads or stars and eyes.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

I thought we all knew this was the end result when CCP designed a game with permadeath plus politics. Even in 'hardmode' EVE, all you lose is money.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Ferrinus posted:

So... Mages, basically.

Mage supremacy proved once again.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Ferrinus posted:

Talking like that is kind of fun, and highly cryptic and allusive language is kind of what one expects out of a crazed seer. It's why we set it up so that the basic effect of suffering Malkavia, like, the experience of someone who's somehow contracted it or had it inflicted upon them but who hasn't learned how to control or tap into it, is synaesthesia-except-with-metaphors. Instead of seeing the number 9 as a shade of red or associating a sandpaper texture with the smell of cinnamon, you start having problems telling between cars and abacus beads or stars and eyes.

On a related note, in the 100xp B&S Methuselah game I'm running at the moment (god help me) I've let my players know OOC that the Sheriff has Malkavia. What they don't know is that I'm using Act of Hubris Lucidity Malkavia rather than Dementation Malkavia. I'm looking forward to having the Sheriff explain something super esoteric to them, then solemnly handing them a "Has Malkavia" condition card while they shriek about how did this happennnn Malkavia's a blood disease. It's fun to gently caress with people who know the fluff OOC.

Also Lucidity is just flat out cooler than Dementation and I much prefer the "ohhh god I'm trying to keep my poo poo together while the connections keep appearing" Malkavia than "serious mental illness" Malkavia.

I'm also going to be dropping people in with those Devotions and pseudo-coils you cooked up. We have a Blood Sorcerer in the party with literally all of Cruac and I'm looking forward to him trying it on someone with Alien Blood. Or a Crone hitman with Bestial Synthesis.

Baby Broomer
Feb 19, 2013
Pretty sure that my favorite part about Geist is that the game doesn't have any antagonist faction(s) or super concrete politics. So it doesn't matter how much OOC knowledge my players have, unless all they want to deal with is ghosts in haunted houses, everything I throw at them is completely fabricated by me.

In fact, I'm having so much fun with this it's damned near convinced me to never use cannon antagonists as the BBEG ever again, and only throw them in as side-quest adversaries.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Baby Broomer posted:

Pretty sure that my favorite part about Geist is that the game doesn't have any antagonist faction(s) or super concrete politics. So it doesn't matter how much OOC knowledge my players have, unless all they want to deal with is ghosts in haunted houses, everything I throw at them is completely fabricated by me.

In fact, I'm having so much fun with this it's damned near convinced me to never use cannon antagonists as the BBEG ever again, and only throw them in as side-quest adversaries.

Too bad so much of Geist is munchkin garbage. But yeah, I agree. In WoD games of any type I pretty much always just throw canon out the window and implement the themes into whatever I am running, so Invictus is still the same, Clans are still the same, general vibes like werewolves and vampires not getting along are the same, but any canon poo poo like the Carthians or Lancea running some specific city is totally up in the air, because I don't care. Oh, you know some big name canon NPC? Don't care, I made up my own people for this campaign. Tough poo poo.

People obsessed with that sort of canon poo poo are the worst thing about RPGs, to me. It's one of the major reasons I never play D&D, because some neckbeard will be all, "well is this before or after the Time of Troubles and can I play a guy that was a cultist of..." and I just want to punch them in the face for overcomplicating things and lowering DM autonomy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

Fuzz posted:

People obsessed with that sort of canon poo poo are the worst thing about RPGs, to me. It's one of the major reasons I never play D&D, because some neckbeard will be all, "well is this before or after the Time of Troubles and can I play a guy that was a cultist of..." and I just want to punch them in the face for overcomplicating things and lowering DM autonomy.

This is as stupid as the deprotagonization argument. Like sorry that people are interested in the ostensible setting of the game you are running lets be obnoxious to them instead of working with them because your autonomy or whatever the gently caress.

• Locked thread