Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

The Arma3 launch taught me I would be a terrible tank commander.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Keeku posted:

I remember when we believed this stuff would be fixed with the Physx implementation...

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

I remember when we believed this stuff would be fixed with the Physx implementation...

It was fixed, to be much, much more hilarious.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Keeku posted:

It looks as though the only thing that launched... was that tank. :c00l:

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
SPOTREP #00010, aka the release changelog

Also, it turns out that the Digital Tactical Guide for Deluxe and Supporter Edition buyers... is Dsylecxi's Tactics, Techniques, & Procedures for Arma 3 – TTP3.

quote:

Special thanks to Bohemia Interactive for believing in it enough to make it an actual part of the product, as well as for being extremely receptive to my vision for this iteration! As before, this took a tremendous amount of energy to produce. I hope those of you checking it out find that energy to have been well-spent, and best of luck to everyone on their Altis adventures!
For those looking to purchase a hard copy of this, expect it to become available in a few weeks via the BIS Store. A version hosted on my site will be available in the coming months as well, free for all. Those who purchase the full guide will also receive bonus content, which you can find listed in the index as “Premium Content”.

If you have the Deluxe Edition of Arma 3 installed, you can find the tactical guide in your Arma 3 folder in the ‘Bonus/Tactical_Guide/’ folder.
Also, if anyone wants to "take apart" some of the official missions (FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY) here's what PBO corresponds to what missions.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
If the premium edition was an audiobook/video version of the thing read by dsylecxi i'd probably buy another copy. :allears:

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

RoadCrewWorker posted:

If the premium edition was an audiobook/video version of the thing read by dsylecxi i'd probably buy another copy. :allears:

I can't even stand one video....

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Keeku posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppFVelJ2sn8

ARMA = Authentic military experience. :colbert:

Spankydoodle
Jun 15, 2002

Ham posted:

I can't even stand one video....

He may have some great ideas, but that high-functioning autist voice is insufferable.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!
So I'm about to buy this, there's only one question - how broken is it right now? I remember that Arma 2 was an incredible mess at launch, so how is Arma 3? How's the performance, crashes etc?

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Attention Horse posted:

So I'm about to buy this, there's only one question - how broken is it right now? I remember that Arma 2 was an incredible mess at launch, so how is Arma 3? How's the performance, crashes etc?

Performance is amazing in single player but multi will make you cry, no matter how well scripted the mission is. The netcode is just barely holding itself together at this point.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Spankydoodle posted:

He may have some great ideas, but that high-functioning autist voice is insufferable.

Hahaha, what?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think that Dsylexci is pretty great. This really shouldn't be a surprise if you look at all the Beta videos BIS did with him.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Attention Horse posted:

Some people have complained about performance, so your mileage may vary. All I can say is my system is definitely a testicle (possibly two) short of the dog's bollocks, and it runs pretty well.

The engine improvements have to be experienced to be appreciated really. Infantry combat in particular is much smoother than A2, CQB indoors is actually doable now, and the stance adjust is a brilliant feature. Still got the same crappy scroll menu though, and the AI is still very derpy at times.

Overall there's a lot of potential there, just have to wait and see what the community makes of it. There's already working domination, wasteland and I think blitzkrieg. Benny's warfare is well on the way too, and DayZ has even been ported over (although it's terrible right now).

Ham posted:

Performance is amazing in single player but multi will make you cry, no matter how well scripted the mission is. The netcode is just barely holding itself together at this point.
I don't think it's the netcode that kills it, it's the scripting.

It should get better. There will always be servers that chug though, some people just seem to like loading on as much poo poo as possible.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Stuff like domination and wasteland, do you still have to do weird poo poo to make them work or are they integrated with steamworks?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Elendil004 posted:

Stuff like domination and wasteland, do you still have to do weird poo poo to make them work or are they integrated with steamworks?

Just connect and it'll download the requisite files.

Dapper Man
Jul 12, 2006

I've been getting a steady 32-35 fps with standard to high settings. It's already blown my Arma 2 performance out of the water.

Ya'll need to get your ears checked if you don't like the sultry sound of Dsylecxi.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Oh god, this version has a civilian sports (rally-ish) car. :monocle:

In related news, i discovered that my average livespan while driving 280 kph at night is under 30 seconds. :allears:
... poo poo, did i already spend 2 hours doing this?

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Does arma 3 have an improved mode where two teams start off in two different bases and the AI is scripted to attack one another with respawning vehicles? Yea I want to play arma 3 like battlefield with bots, sue me.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I just want a capture the island. I want a base, where I can build defenses and production structures, while the bad guys/AI does the same, and have to sortie out and capture areas for points.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

SheepNameKiller posted:

Does arma 3 have an improved mode where two teams start off in two different bases and the AI is scripted to attack one another with respawning vehicles? Yea I want to play arma 3 like battlefield with bots, sue me.

Elendil004 posted:

I just want a capture the island. I want a base, where I can build defenses and production structures, while the bad guys/AI does the same, and have to sortie out and capture areas for points.

There are already a couple of dynamically-generated missions in single-player / coop (which you can also play by yourself) that are roughly equivalent to what you're talking about here. Look for Whole Lotta Stratis / Altis and Dynamic Universal War System (DUWS) for starters.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
So the netcode didn't get much if any improvement between the dev and launch?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I have a GTX 780 and the SP still chugs a lot. I guess I need to upgrade my processor for this.

Also is there a dayz mod for Arma 3? I tried wasteland and didn't really like it much.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Elendil004 posted:

I remember CTI, that was a fun game mode in OFP, so fun you could even play with just 1 other friend and spend a whole day.

MasonF
Aug 22, 2005

these bitches r kicking me?wow wook wookfuk u

Spankydoodle posted:

Isn't he a goon, along with CHKilroy?
Anyways, what's different now that it's released? It doesn't seem to have added any new content at all.

Aws
Dec 5, 2005
I haven't enjoyed any of the Arma games (but I obsessively loved Operation Flashpoint). Bohemia's inability to develop a semi-polished game and the generally low-effort campaigns have made me stay away from Arma 3. What are your first impressions for this one? Is it still the same old buggy, clunky poo poo repackaged or have they managed to make a better game?

MasonF
Aug 22, 2005

these bitches r kicking me?wow wook wookfuk u

Aws posted:

I haven't enjoyed any of the Arma games (but I obsessively loved Operation Flashpoint). Bohemia's inability to develop a semi-polished game and the generally low-effort campaigns have made me stay away from Arma 3. What are your first impressions for this one? Is it still the same old buggy, clunky poo poo repackaged or have they managed to make a better game?
It's definitely not the smoothest game when compared to Battlefield or other games like it, and is not for everyone. It's a great base for mods though, which is where it shines. It's a HUGE improvement over ArmA II.
It's also much prettier, as long as you have the hardware to run it.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Well, if the Showcases are anything to go by, I think the campaign is going to be leagues ahead of prior ArmA installments. They flow reasonably well, they're not overly assfuck difficult, and the controls and tutorial portioning is rather polished. That and the Firing Drills and what not, there actually stands to be a well-rounded single player portion to it. Of course, it still doesn't really hold a candle to running around with goons and tactically making GBS threads yourself.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Fired up the full game for the first time and jumped straight into a tank.

Tanks behave... unusually, to say the least. I dinged the AMV-7 Marshall in the Showcase mission at maybe 10mph, and it jumped a hundred feet directly upwards, jettisoning crew mid-flight, and exploded. I thought that this was probably a one-off glitch, so I reloaded the mission and tried to replicate it. The second time wasn't quite so spectacular - the Marshall merely did a cute backflip, landing neatly on its wheels.

Spankydoodle posted:

Dude certainly knows his chops, and I love his videos, but sometimes it baffles me how he manages to communicate with his team given his propensity to slur entire sentences into a single syllable.

... a hoarse, breathy, syllable :allears:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Aeka 2.0 posted:

So the netcode didn't get much if any improvement between the dev and launch?

In 48 hours? No, I don't think so.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Wachter posted:

Dude certainly knows his chops, and I love his videos, but sometimes it baffles me how he manages to communicate with his team given his propensity to slur entire sentences into a single syllable.

... a hoarse, breathy, syllable :allears:

You haven't seen the ones with Evil Scotsman? Personally I've had no issues understanding him in the videos unless there's a lot of noise in the background.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

He's perfectly understandable when watching his videos at a remove - I just wonder how much gets lost in translation when his teammates are hunkered down amid gunfire and explosions, squinting at pixels in the distance.

Also, he shares my hatred of snipers, so he'd command my respect even if he was gibbering in dead tongues.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

I believe they just increase the volume of the 343's and such when they need to hear them better, just as they lower them when it's quiet and they're trying to hear what's around them rather than having someone blaring into their ear.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Vadoc posted:

I believe they just increase the volume of the 343's and such when they need to hear them better, just as they lower them when it's quiet and they're trying to hear what's around them rather than having someone blaring into their ear.

The sound quality on the ACRE 343's is by the default not that bad if your mic is decent in my experience (also of course how far away you are). And I imagine he do use a really good microphone so I would imagine he is rather audible with or without volume changes.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone
Every server I've joined so far thats running Altis Lemnos is running awful like really awful, 10 to 12 FPS. What happened to all the optimization talk? I've noticed that since A3 came out performance has been getting worse and worse as its progressed.

My system isn't stellar (i7 920 2x 5850 12gb DDR3 1333mhz) but A2 runs a hell of a lot more consistent then this game. I can't even play multiplayer the FPS lag is brutal.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

KennyLoggins posted:

Every server I've joined so far thats running Altis Lemnos is running awful like really awful, 10 to 12 FPS. What happened to all the optimization talk? I've noticed that since A3 came out performance has been getting worse and worse as its progressed.

The server blows. MP runs just as well as singleplayer, if you aren't running a bad mission or have a bad host.

Edit: However the netcode making GBS threads itself at any sign of trouble is concerning.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone
Interesting. I did get on a Stratis server and it was pretty smooth. I can host Lemnos missions with a few players and have it run alright.

I mean I tried a few 40 player Wasteland serevers and I got terrible FPS on all of them. I then tried a 50 player Domination server and that was about the same experience.

Orv
May 4, 2011

KennyLoggins posted:

Interesting. I did get on a Stratis server and it was pretty smooth. I can host Lemnos missions with a few players and have it run alright.

I mean I tried a few 40 player Wasteland serevers and I got terrible FPS on all of them. I then tried a 50 player Domination server and that was about the same experience.

Heavily scripted/sandbox with spawn missions on Altis right now are basically the worst. No-one has been able to get them to run decently yet and I worry that they may not be able to, it being so large.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope
Vehicles, static objects, and people that are created in the mission editor are much more efficient than when they're spawned by a script.

When something is spawned by a script, I think there's more way more synchronization between the server and all clients. Also, if someone joins a mission in progress, then they need to sync up on every object that was ever spawned, which can cripple the server and/or cause desync aka red-chain. (At least, that's how it was in Arma 2.)

Wasteland and Domi seem to rely heavily on dynamic spawns, so naturally their MP performance will be terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Is the only way to combat this by brute force with a powerful server and pipe?
Or would simply switching most of the spawns to static fix it?