Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Huh. The revamped Orc Hunter is a really interesting unit. I'm not sure if it's GOOD, but it is interesting.

Gonna have to try it out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Oh nice, dwarf engineers get flashbang. That is tits.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

Huh. The revamped Orc Hunter is a really interesting unit. I'm not sure if it's GOOD, but it is interesting.

Gonna have to try it out!

Orc Hunters are hella fun. You can't use the same tactics with them as regular Hunters of course, but flank and shoot is an easy strategy to pull off with 32-40 move Hunters, and they still get all the Slayer Bonuses, Bleed, ect. I Almost prefer them over regular Hunters for clearing just because they double as such solid early game melee units that it's hard to lose them even if they get rushed. (And Orcs get Victory Rush, so they recover quickly even if they do take damage here and there.)

Also, all Hunters get Martial Arts Gold which for normal Hunters is kinda eh, but for Orc Hunters...

I need to play Orc Druid again, it was so much fun last time I did it.

quote:

Oh nice, dwarf engineers get flashbang. That is tits.

All the engineers get flashbang, and yes, yes it is.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I am curious as to the new "Reef" dwelling. I am assuming its found in the ocean? What units does it produce?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Inflict Stun on High Elf Manticore Riders sounds absolutely ridiculous.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
They forgot to mention the best part of the beta.

More Hats

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
The AI is 100% less terrible now. It actually builds units. It burns down cities to deny them to you if it doesn't want to keep them. It is just so much better. Also, emperor AI morale bonus makes AI halflings hilarious bullshit.

Does anyone know what the "include AI leader" option in game creation is?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Carnalfex posted:

The AI is 100% less terrible now. It actually builds units. It burns down cities to deny them to you if it doesn't want to keep them. It is just so much better. Also, emperor AI morale bonus makes AI halflings hilarious bullshit.

Does anyone know what the "include AI leader" option in game creation is?

You pick the AI leaders and can customize new ones like you do for yourself.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Isn't that what the "customize leader" option is?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

mitochondritom posted:

I am curious as to the new "Reef" dwelling. I am assuming its found in the ocean? What units does it produce?

Assuming we get a dev journal tomorrow they might spoil it then. It is the first dwelling that spawns on water, though.

quote:

Isn't that what the "customize leader" option is?

Customize Leader lets you customize your own leader before starting, include AI allows you to do the same for all AI opponents.

madmac fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 12, 2015

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Ojetor posted:

Inflict Stun on High Elf Manticore Riders sounds absolutely ridiculous.

At one point they had Total Awareness instead, which meant they were almost impossible to flank. The beta testers all went nuts though, so we had to take it out. Believe it or not, this was actually a nerf!

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Are AI playstyle profiles in the game with the patch or is that an expansion thing? I didn't see an option for it.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Carnalfex posted:

Are AI playstyle profiles in the game with the patch or is that an expansion thing? I didn't see an option for it.

I believe Profiles are set according to specialization choices or barring any alignment specs, random.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Oh, so we can't actually choose to have an aggressive army focused or expansionist or tech focused etc AI?

The little UI improvements are really, really nice. Changes to menus like the character creation and the city morale really help show the player useful information.

Haha holy crap you can zoom out like 10x more in tactical battles now, try it in a city siege.

Ok, perhaps my favorite thing about this patch? The AI will send you messages just to talk poo poo.

Carnalfex fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 12, 2015

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
This might be better to ask in the steam thread, but is it possible to have different versions of the game on different machines? I'd like to try out the Mac beta, but I don't want to break the save for a multiplayer game I'm in the middle of on my PC.

Gerblyn posted:

* If a unit flees a battle, it will now lose all the XP it earned during that battle.
Does this apply to the rogue's Run Away spell? Seems like it makes a spell I barely bother to research anyway even more useless.

(Its best use is casting on an allied friend's favorite unit when you already have a tag-team battle well in hand.)

Gerblyn posted:

* Leaders now respawn with full movepoints once they return from the void
:getin:

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 12, 2015

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I did say I'd talk about class changes a bit, so lets do that:

Sorcerer

No major changes, a few small nerfs and corrections. Sorc was always a strong class so everyone kinda took a "don't rock the boat" approach with it.

Magical Structures gives a smaller bonus but it works on practically everything now, it's still really powerful.

Chaos Vortex is capped at four rounds now because c'mon man, how many rounds of Chaos Vortex do you need to win a fight?

Dome of Protection works the way I always assumed it worked (protects units) so that's cool.

Apprentices are the only Sorc unit that even can get racial bonuses, so there's a number of new little perks and it's not locked to fairy fire anymore.

Warlord

Basically just two things:

1. Manticores are hella scary now. (and dungeons are still full of the bastards.)

2. Sweet scout salvation. I know the Scout looks weak on paper, but holy poo poo we had to nerf that thing multiple times.

The scout can't fight anything and win, but it's very easy to spam, deceptively fast, (it has everything walking+swimming and it's an irregular, so Explorer is an option) and more then anything else just fighting a Warlord who knows where to find you is an entirely different experience then what anyone is used to in multiplayer.

Rogue

Ahahahahahahahaha Dark Pact. I'm not even going to tell you what it does yet, just that it's the most expensive and powerful Empire Upgrade in the game.

Otherwise Rogue mostly just got some small tweaks (Undead Slayer on Assassins) to make them more competitive against Necromancers and Corrupt Killers got nerfed a bit so that rushing Stalkers didn't become the only thing anyone ever does in PBEM.

Oh and Warlord and Rogue both got a lot of new special class units, including the new races.

madmac fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 12, 2015

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

madmac posted:

2. Sweet scout salvation. I know the Scout looks weak on paper, but holy poo poo we had to nerf that thing multiple times.

How did it start to be brought all the way down to a boilerplate scout?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Triskelli posted:

How did it start to be brought all the way down to a boilerplate scout?

Used to have 36 Move Points and Concealment. Warlord had the best scout in the game and it was crushingly annoying to play against.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Archdruid

Lots of Quality of Life changes here.

Animistic Knowledge got tweaked to give a more consistent bonus.

Merging all the crappy Slayer skills into one mega-skill is glorious.

Shaman have a new awaken buff they can use on animals and it's actually really powerful. Also stacks with Savage Rage
(Archdruid heroes can pick it up too.) Overall gives you more reasons to use Shamans and animal summons together and just neat in general.

The Druid's cool but lovely combat spells (Ancestors, Animal Horde) got cool and good now.

Plus lots of sweet-as-hell new Hunter/Shaman variants. Some of my favorites.

Druid got all it's rough edges sanded off and is just consistently fun now.

Theocrat

Too many small changes to summarize, so basically the crappy economy spells were made better and worth using, a little more racial variation (Human Evangelists!) and you can use devout units to repair Shrines now, so that's one aggravation gone.

Bigger changes, THE DEVOUT UPGRADES NOW WORK RETROACTIVELY. This is the single biggest and most important change. It means you have actual options in how you approach playing Theocrat since you can start with whatever and worry about making things devout later.

You can totally go class units first now, especially with Evangelist as a heal option without Order of Healing and pick up the empire upgrades whenever it fits your schedule. Theocrat has options, man, it's a whole new class.

Also Martyrs, the new Theocrat meta not even kidding. With their buffed HPs combined with the 35% reduction from share pain they can soak like champs, and Exalted Martyers is a whole new ballgame now that it's not locked until after you get Exalted the normal way. Also also evolved Exalted keep share pain which is kinda good on a unit that can't die.

Theocrats are kinda really good right now, is what I'm saying.

Dreadnaught

Muskets nerfed, everything else buffed. Engineers with passive repair and flash bangs are awesome now and I actually rush them out for clearing.

Golems are way less powerful individually but they're also really cheap and still very tough. Good unit you can get out early to protect your things.

Muskets are weaker, not useless but definitely not your ticket to winning everything. Use them in combination with your Golems to drain MP so they can punch them down with less resistance.

The hardest thing to get used to early game is that you're not rocking as much power per stack early game with weaker golems and muskets. Bring more dudes.

Cannons are crazy good. Flame Tanks are stronger then ever. Once you get to the late machine phase things are looking good.

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Above the gigantic mouth is an eye as big as a shield that stares at you with pure hate
Oh god, high elf manticore riders...

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
So how do we actually play the beta?

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

bamhand posted:

So how do we actually play the beta?

Right click game in steam library, go to properties -> betas tab, select 1.5 beta from drop down menu. Steam will download the beta version. Then play!

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

madmac posted:

Dreadnaught

Muskets nerfed, everything else buffed. Engineers with passive repair and flash bangs are awesome now and I actually rush them out for clearing.

Probably for the best, but not sure if I understood the way they work now. So Muskets have a "reload" action they have to do instead of reloading automatically?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah so you can't melee or something during your reload turn.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Think of reload as eating your attack action, basically. You can't melee or defend that turn, so it's not something you want to do with a troll breathing down your neck and makes having screeners for your muskets more important.

It works well enough but man do I hate forgetting to reload and charging a cannon in point blank the next turn and then...*click click* dammit!

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Above the gigantic mouth is an eye as big as a shield that stares at you with pure hate
My hope that there'd be something to make draconian warbreeds not feel like fast healing is redundant with some small perk....dashed :negative:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Trolls and Ogres are now pretty tough with their buffs.

I can't just waltz over to any given Strong treasure site with a Hero and 4 tier 1-2 units and walk out without a scratch. They're pretty punishing.

And they added Mass Curse as one of the potential spells there. Not cool :(

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Buffs to troll and ogres? YESSSS!! My theocrat strat of using dungeons to amass an ogre army is better than ever.

As for muskets? Does this include the item for heroes? What if i have three muskets?

And did they buff the blowdart at all? or is it still just a weaker remodel of bows?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Zore posted:

Trolls and Ogres are now pretty tough with their buffs.

I can't just waltz over to any given Strong treasure site with a Hero and 4 tier 1-2 units and walk out without a scratch. They're pretty punishing.

And they added Mass Curse as one of the potential spells there. Not cool :(

Heh, you think that's bad

Ruins used to have Chant of Unlife, but then Chant of Unlife got changed so it actually brought back the dead unit as a ghoul instead of a generic Archon Soldier. (So about those Tombs...)

So yeah, instant return of the Zombie Troll was a thing, and it ruined lives. And now you know why Ruins have curse instead!

On the plus side, Ogres actually being good now makes Giant dwellings a lot more useful to pick up early or just keep as vassals (They'll donate Ogres more often then not.)

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Unless I wanted to devote gold to churning out a dwellings unit forever, wouldn't it be in my best interest to vassal a dwelling whenever possible?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

quote:

As for muskets? Does this include the item for heroes? What if i have three muskets?

And did they buff the blowdart at all? or is it still just a weaker remodel of bows?

Heroes have special prototype muskets that don't have to be manually reloaded, but the other changes still apply.

As for Goblins, they're actually much stronger now, but it's a subtle two-step buff. (Also Darters don't have LOS penalties, which is still a huge advantage relative to longbows)

1. Butchers are, hands-down, the best racial Pike unit in the game. That gives Goblin range units a real shield to hide behind and makes charging in Cav seriously risky.

2. Blight Doctors got the effect range on Weaken buffed from short to medium. They are assholes now because they can mark you for certain goblin death from a safe distance while hiding behind a Butcher.

Edit: I wouldn't say always, but Dwelling vassals are pretty much the best vassals to have.

Fluffy Tail
Jan 3, 2012

"I am the beginning and the end. The alpha and the omega. The first and the last."

Chaos Dunk

madmac posted:

Dreadnaught

Flame Tanks are stronger then ever.

I am liking ramming things with the new flame tank. Its like a bigger, more annoying Spy Drone that also burns things!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

madmac posted:

Archdruid

Lots of Quality of Life changes here.

Animistic Knowledge got tweaked to give a more consistent bonus.

Merging all the crappy Slayer skills into one mega-skill is glorious.

Shaman have a new awaken buff they can use on animals and it's actually really powerful. Also stacks with Savage Rage
(Archdruid heroes can pick it up too.) Overall gives you more reasons to use Shamans and animal summons together and just neat in general.

The Druid's cool but lovely combat spells (Ancestors, Animal Horde) got cool and good now.

Plus lots of sweet-as-hell new Hunter/Shaman variants. Some of my favorites.

Druid got all it's rough edges sanded off and is just consistently fun now.

Theocrat

Too many small changes to summarize, so basically the crappy economy spells were made better and worth using, a little more racial variation (Human Evangelists!) and you can use devout units to repair Shrines now, so that's one aggravation gone.

Bigger changes, THE DEVOUT UPGRADES NOW WORK RETROACTIVELY. This is the single biggest and most important change. It means you have actual options in how you approach playing Theocrat since you can start with whatever and worry about making things devout later.

You can totally go class units first now, especially with Evangelist as a heal option without Order of Healing and pick up the empire upgrades whenever it fits your schedule. Theocrat has options, man, it's a whole new class.

Also Martyrs, the new Theocrat meta not even kidding. With their buffed HPs combined with the 35% reduction from share pain they can soak like champs, and Exalted Martyers is a whole new ballgame now that it's not locked until after you get Exalted the normal way. Also also evolved Exalted keep share pain which is kinda good on a unit that can't die.

Theocrats are kinda really good right now, is what I'm saying.

Praise Orc Jesus :negative:

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

madmac posted:

Heroes have special prototype muskets that don't have to be manually reloaded, but the other changes still apply.

As for Goblins, they're actually much stronger now, but it's a subtle two-step buff. (Also Darters don't have LOS penalties, which is still a huge advantage relative to longbows)

1. Butchers are, hands-down, the best racial Pike unit in the game. That gives Goblin range units a real shield to hide behind and makes charging in Cav seriously risky.

2. Blight Doctors got the effect range on Weaken buffed from short to medium. They are assholes now because they can mark you for certain goblin death from a safe distance while hiding behind a Butcher.

Edit: I wouldn't say always, but Dwelling vassals are pretty much the best vassals to have.

I think he was talking about the Nefarious Blowpipe (the crappy rogue hero starting ranged weapon), not Goblin Swarm Darters.

Gerblyn posted:

At one point they had Total Awareness instead, which meant they were almost impossible to flank. The beta testers all went nuts though, so we had to take it out. Believe it or not, this was actually a nerf!

I can see that. One of the best ways to deal with fully upgraded Manticores is to kinda swarm then and abuse single hits from behind to wear them down without getting wrecked by retaliation attacks. Total Awareness would have made that quite hard if not impossible.

I mean thinking about it further, there aren't many things that actually survive a round of Manticore Rider attacks, so Inflict Stun is actually not as powerful on them as it is on say, Apprentices or Priests.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The first thing I notice with the Beta Patch is that 1920x1080 does not actually fit right on 1920x1080 anymore, at least at the main screen :v:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
We're on 7/8 (once Daton finishes downloading and joins) for my Test Game (Thy's Test game, Pword: lljk) who will be my 8th? Be a hero. :getin:

Hell yeah, 8/8 when Daton signs up. Ill start another game.

E: Second game up: "A Goon too far." Password's the same (lljk)

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 13, 2015

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Can there be a steam push notification or ez to access place to tell you when its your turn? Maybe actual emails?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
PBEM will email you when it's your turn. You can also check the game at any time to see who's holding things up.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
So I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere but it looks like transports are finally nerfed, so naval units and mariner and the new frostling viking raid ability will all actually matter now. Looks like sight and movement are both reduced on boats a bit and it costs movement to get off the boat, too. So you can actually have a chance to intercept them with naval units and building navies is now a thing that can matter!

I am so much more excited for the water dwelling now that I noticed this, hot drat. I am pretty surprised this isn't in the patch notes anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Carnalfex posted:

So I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere but it looks like transports are finally nerfed, so naval units and mariner and the new frostling viking raid ability will all actually matter now. Looks like sight and movement are both reduced on boats a bit and it costs movement to get off the boat, too. So you can actually have a chance to intercept them with naval units and building navies is now a thing that can matter!

I am so much more excited for the water dwelling now that I noticed this, hot drat. I am pretty surprised this isn't in the patch notes anywhere.

Another undocumented change is that the new map RNG is much more likely to spawn large bodies of water on every map type. (Land included.) So water is a bit more of a factor in general.

• Locked thread