Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
I'd be fine with Frozen Flames being limited to Frostlings if their class supports could be Pledged. And if Frostling Phalanx got Pledge of Protection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Pledged Shamans sound like they could be a nightmare

I don't think it matters a ton on apprentices since WWs are sort of better

Also kind of a moot point on Evangelists since they can already just use Martyrs

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

Gerblyn posted:

Yes, you can steal almost anything, including debuffs. I explicitly blocked some things (you used to be able to steal Overload, for example) but not very many.

I did this to myself earlier when I was testing things out. Got 10 stacks of despair on something and then stole them all to put on my own reanimator. :doh:

e: For anyone that has done the necro campaign, does your alignment choice at the end of map 2 affect the story, or is that just your choices in the last map? I never liked the other campaigns but for some reason I'm finding this one much more fun.

Carnalfex fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 25, 2015

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Carnalfex posted:

I did this to myself earlier when I was testing things out. Got 10 stacks of despair on something and then stole them all to put on my own reanimator. :doh:

e: For anyone that has done the necro campaign, does your alignment choice at the end of map 2 affect the story, or is that just your choices in the last map? I never liked the other campaigns but for some reason I'm finding this one much more fun.

The choice you make at the end of map two determines your specializations going into the last map, either Grey Guard or Shadowborn Master. I don't believe it has any story impact.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

psudonym55 posted:

Currently busy for the next few days but will be free from Wednesday onwards, pick a day and time and I'll be there.

I cant know for sure within a day of advancce for the enxt few weeks whether i have free time but i'll try to let you know

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

When a Bone Collector eats a corpse, is it healed for 20 hp, then gains 20 max hp, or does it just gain the max hp?

That is, on an injured Bone Collector, does eating a corpse function as +40 hp?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

ninjewtsu posted:

When a Bone Collector eats a corpse, is it healed for 20 hp, then gains 20 max hp, or does it just gain the max hp?

That is, on an injured Bone Collector, does eating a corpse function as +40 hp?

The unit heals 20hp, then gets + max 20hp. When a unit's max HP goes up, the system scales their current HP up so they still have the same proportion of HP left. So, if a unit has lost 50% of it's HP, and it gets +20 max HP, it heals for 10hp at the same time.

Also, I just checked for the damage calculation:

1) Attack value calculated (bonuses for slayer and charge are added, for example)
2) Target defenses calculated (bonuses for shield are added)
3) Attack and Defense are combined to get base damage (so, 15 attack vs 11 defense becomes 14 base damage)
4) The system applies the 20% random damage spread (here the system does normal rounding, so 0.4 = 0 and 0.5 = 1)
5) The system applies a multiplier to the damage value that combines the line of sight penalty, ranged penalty and the fumble penalty/critical bonus. The multipliers are multiplied together, not added (so 50% damage falloff and 50% LOS penalty becomes a 75% reduction). The result of this is rounded up.
6) The system applies multipliers for damage resistance/weakness. These results are also rounded up.

So, the system rounds 3 times during a standard damage calculation.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Thanks! Can a link to this maybe go in the op? This is pretty useful information for the theorycrafter and number cruncher players that isn't given anywhere else, it would be a disservice if it was buried.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
So I played Orange last night and he rolled Tigran Necro as a sort of joke. Evidently I waited too long to laugh because he was one-turning 71 hp Prowlers among other things. That's pretty hard to deal with if you let it happen. He also turned the entire middle of the map into a no-man's land of razed cities which he could later resurrect if it suited him. That's a pretty neat strategic option and he was able to resurrect at least one city quite sneakily.

Anyway I'm improving every time I get to play, so thanks for the game. It's a lot harder to be smart with your army in multiplayer.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Yeah, I'm starting to get a handle on necro. They're not a class where your class units do the heavy lifting - the real attraction is are your normal racial units, which you can medal higher and buff stronger than almost anyone. The class units are situational and best used as debuffing powerhouses and/or healing. I did have a decent amount of luck in that game, and honestly, what won it for me had nothing to do with *Tigran* necromancer but the fact that I ghouled a *Goblin* city for the sweet, sweet Swarm Darter counter to High Elves.

Dark Gift is super awesome, by the way, and it's worth it to get your CPs up to 50 so you can cast it without your leader.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Gerblyn posted:

Thanks! In theory, there are only 2 valid ways a concealed unit can get hit by roamers:

1) You park him next to an independent stack
2) Roamers wander up to him by accident (very rare, but theoretically possible)

So if neither of those are happening, I'd really like to see it!

Sent you a save. The unit in question is a lost soul hiding in a blighted forest on the eastern edge of the explored area. I've reloaded the autosave several times and it gets sniped by the scoundrel stack every time. It's got some movepoints left, so you can try moving it to another position and watch the scoundrels hunt it down. Hope it helps.

edit: Some additional info: The next turn i sent that lost soul into the domain of the AI rogue, (i moved it across the river so the scoundrels wouldn't get it after i sent that save) and it gave me a message saying that trespassing would incur a relations penalty if the unit is seen.

Sure enough, the next turn, the AI bitched about my units in its domain and i took a relation hit for trespassing.

So, not sure if that helps or not, but it seems to me the game code is actually flagging it as visible, not just the all-seeing AI always knowing where everything is.

Anyway, now that i'm done investigating possible bugs, it's time to make a graveyard and call it peace :black101:

Sjonnar fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 26, 2015

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Sjonnar posted:

Sent you a save. The unit in question is a lost soul hiding in a blighted forest on the eastern edge of the explored area. I've reloaded the autosave several times and it gets sniped by the scoundrel stack every time. It's got some movepoints left, so you can try moving it to another position and watch the scoundrels hunt it down. Hope it helps.

Thanks, I'll check it out!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Gerblyn posted:

The unit heals 20hp, then gets + max 20hp. When a unit's max HP goes up, the system scales their current HP up so they still have the same proportion of HP left. So, if a unit has lost 50% of it's HP, and it gets +20 max HP, it heals for 10hp at the same time.

Also, I just checked for the damage calculation:

1) Attack value calculated (bonuses for slayer and charge are added, for example)
2) Target defenses calculated (bonuses for shield are added)
3) Attack and Defense are combined to get base damage (so, 15 attack vs 11 defense becomes 14 base damage)
4) The system applies the 20% random damage spread (here the system does normal rounding, so 0.4 = 0 and 0.5 = 1)
5) The system applies a multiplier to the damage value that combines the line of sight penalty, ranged penalty and the fumble penalty/critical bonus. The multipliers are multiplied together, not added (so 50% damage falloff and 50% LOS penalty becomes a 75% reduction). The result of this is rounded up.
6) The system applies multipliers for damage resistance/weakness. These results are also rounded up.

So, the system rounds 3 times during a standard damage calculation.

Thanks for the info Gerblyn!

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
One annoyance with necromancer in multiplayer is how everyone can surrender the fight as soon as they do all the damage they can to your troops before you can get your cadavar snowball rolling.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

One annoyance with necromancer in multiplayer is how everyone can surrender the fight as soon as they do all the damage they can to your troops before you can get your cadavar snowball rolling.

Maybe they can grey-out the 'surrender' button after the first action is taken each turn, then? It does seem a little (and I hate using this word) unfair to be able to use your turn to run up and do serious damage or even eliminate a unit, and then surrender in order to deny the opponent any xp. If you take any actions on your turn, you should probably be committed to not surrendering until the start of your next turn.

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Above the gigantic mouth is an eye as big as a shield that stares at you with pure hate
Is that any different than doing that to deal damage then prevent conversion/seduction/etc.? (not that I actually think it's fair; maybe have some % chance to cadaver/seduce/etc. upon surrender?)

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Sounds like a pretty dickish thing to do regardless of class. Fight, or surrender, but abusing surrender like that is kinda ugly, IMO.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

madmac posted:

Sounds like a pretty dickish thing to do regardless of class. Fight, or surrender, but abusing surrender like that is kinda ugly, IMO.

Seems to be a common tactic in multiplayer when they can't win the fight to just do all the damage they can then surrender immediately to deny exp.

I do like the suggestion of greying out surrender if you took a action that turn so you'd at least have a retaliation turn after the suicide rush before they can surrender to mop up their army and revive anything as a necro.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Taking a full turn of actions into a surrender definitely sounds like an obnoxious multiplayer edge case.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

Voyager I posted:

Taking a full turn of actions into a surrender definitely sounds like an obnoxious multiplayer edge case.

Less of an edge case than an abuseable mechanic that no one ever bothered even thinking to use against a cpu, since no one loses battles to a cpu that matter. Either you stomp them flat or you let them bloat so much that they have infinite armies, you never really get into a situation where spitting in their eye and suiciding would matter. If the game is fairly close it can make a difference, you just don't really see close games against cpus.

It sounds like it would be easy to prevent either way though, kind of a reverse of the "battle draws if no one takes damage for 5 turns". If someone takes damage, suicide turns off.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I do like the suggestion of greying out surrender if you took a action that turn so you'd at least have a retaliation turn after the suicide rush before they can surrender to mop up their army and revive anything as a necro.
Yeah, that sounds pretty reasonable. Either throw down your weapons or take your lumps, one or the other.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
How does everyone play their games versus the AI? I've been playing on king with 6 opponents and 55 seals to victory, and I rarely get a chance to use T4s. I'm simply curious to see how others play settings wise.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Tend to go with Emperor AI and 4-6 on a medium map depending on underground on or off.

They usually end around turn 55-70.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 12:26 on May 27, 2015

Blackluck
Jun 26, 2012

Kinetica posted:

How does everyone play their games versus the AI? I've been playing on king with 6 opponents and 55 seals to victory, and I rarely get a chance to use T4s. I'm simply curious to see how others play settings wise.

Since I enjoy exploring and building, I play extra large maps w/ seal victory (70 seals) and diplomacy enabled. It makes for super long games - like several days - but you get the full array of units/abilities/spells to play with and can even build up dwellings. Granted, your main hero stacks are so powerful it's possible to auto resolve the hardest mythical lairs - but like most 4x games (and EU) I rarely finish a game anyway.

Blackluck fucked around with this message at 13:25 on May 27, 2015

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Kinetica posted:

Campaign (which I've still never finished), or else I'm testing an MP build so 1v1 medium/king, where if I even bother to finish it's typically before turn 50.

Also, has anyone played World of Magic lately? It's on sale through today, and while I know it was rough on release has it got any better since to justify picking it up?

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

orangelex44 posted:

Campaign (which I've still never finished), or else I'm testing an MP build so 1v1 medium/king, where if I even bother to finish it's typically before turn 50.

Also, has anyone played World of Magic lately? It's on sale through today, and while I know it was rough on release has it got any better since to justify picking it up?

Can't say I'm a fan yet. I tried a quick game on my friend's computer and it's still not all that great.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Kinetica posted:

I like to play with 3 King opponents (4 if there is underground) on medium maps with standard seal victory conditions. The games usually take somewhere between 50-80 turns, and I'd have T4s around turn 50. Around 40 if I'm lucky...

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

orangelex44 posted:

I last played it around 3 weeks ago. At that point, there were still a ton of graphical glitches, some random crashes, assorted UI bugs, and all sorts of balance issues, over and above the decidedly sub-par graphics. I can't see any possibility that they've made the game playable yet, especially when they replied to my negative review by basically saying "we're so busy adding new features that it's adding new bugs faster than we can fix them", although they did promise me that all the bugs would rapidly disappear once they're done adding new features. (Bonus note: They had already patched the game *19* times by that point.)

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Taliesyn posted:

they did promise me that all the bugs would rapidly disappear once they're done adding new features.

hahahahahaha

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

hahahahahaha

My thoughts exactly!

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Good to know. I'll save my pennies then, and see what it looks like when it's on sale again in six months.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Has anyone ever used summoner's aura? The sorc city defensive enchant that buffs and heals summoned units while inside the city domain?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Once, just to fully heal my army as I was passing through a captured city, it's good to keep the momentum if you don't have enough apprentices to heal the eldritch abominations and phantasms.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Hey guys in my bracket: sorry I've been pretty AFK the last week or so but I've been busy with work, family events, and discovering that my 5 1/2 year old gaming PC can indeed run the Witcher 3. I'll be looking to get a match or two in over the next two days (Thurs and Fri) if anyone still needs to get some games done.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
So does anyone know how long High Elf Shaman and Apprentices have been using Shock Sister idle animations?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Gerblyn please do not change this

Fight as hard as you can to keep this in place

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
copying from the official forums:

quote:

We have finally moved the Tutorial Campaign to Open Beta!

The tutorial focuses on new players, explaining a bunch of stuff from moving your army to how to cast spells or how retaliation works.

At this moment the Campaign is still in an early stage, but we would like to receive your feedback on it so we can incorporate it before it is all set in stone.

STARTING THE TUTORIAL: The Tutorial Campaign is started through the Elven Court Campaign. After the introduction and the first story page of the Elven Court you will get the choice to start the Tutorial. If you chose Yes you will be redirected to Aldor, the legendary isle so pivotal in the history of Elves.

We would be grateful if you can test the tutorial and give feedback!

Here is a list of known issues and other messages/events that still have to be removed or implemented:

• Text is not final and still has to be localized
• Ekko currently has no alignment but he should be evil
• Modified Strategic and Tactical Tutorial Messages according to previous feedback
• Will place the High Elf Swordsman to another Hex to prevent the Goblins to move to the High Elf Swordsman in the Gold Mine Gold Mine Battle
• Strategic Tutorial Icons for the messages are still temporary, we would like to have feedback on how these could clearly portrait the information given
• Tactical Combat is disables. What do you think?
• Some Tutorial Messages are too long. Do you have any feedback or ideas?

Also, feedback is requested on the following:

• We want the auto combat to be disabled for at least the first battle, the brigand camp, and the siege battle. At the moment auto combat is disabled for every battle in the tutorial, should we keep that or not. If not, which battles do you think are important enough to disable auto combat? We disable the option so we force players through the Tactical Tutorial Messages, otherwise we make it, players don’t play it, and when their finished with the tutorial they do not know how to fight in tactical combat.

•The player now starts with extra gold since a lot of people had problems with upkeep and got bankrupt. Do you think 50 gold extra is too much and might not teach the player how upkeep works? Or shall we keep the 50 gold since we don’t want new players to go bankrupt already at the start of the game an rage quit?

• Some of you suggested removing the tomb enchantment. I have made the inhabited units weaker since I would like to keep the enchantment. Making this fight too easy gives a wrong impression to the player about tombs later in the game. Do you think having weaker units but keeping the enchantment is a good choice? Or do you rather have some stronger units without the enchantment?

• Is it possible to break anything in the tutorial map? We haven’t done a lot of intensive testing, feel free to break anything!

Mind you, the patch isn't up yet so they may have jumped the gun a bit with those notes. :p

madmac fucked around with this message at 13:46 on May 28, 2015

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Dat post release support

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
OK, now it's live!

http://ageofwonders.com/forums/topic/update-v1-52-patch-notes/page/9/#post-205760

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

quote:

Fixed an issue where you could cast Inspect Plague on another player’s city without triggering a war declaration
Independent heroes will now sometimes cast spells in battle
Tigran Cities now give quests.
Added support for the strategic AI to not cast city growth spells on metropolises
Fixed issues where various damage bonuses weren’t affecting damage to obstacles, like walls and gates
Fixed an issue where picking up a cartographers tent underground would reveal cities above ground, when below ground cities were closer
Fixed an issue where creating a cadaver on a wall wouldn’t apply the wallclimbing penalty
Spells/abilities that do not work in water battles, now do not work in lava battles either
Stopped enemies in AI Raid and Brigand behavior targeting concealed units (should prevent roaming units sniping concealed scouts. Really this time!)
Increased amount of global pick ups from 20 to 25 on Medium Size Default Settings, for larger maps this scales up accordingly.
Increased the difference between ‘few’ and ‘many’ for the amount of resource sites being generated.
Fixed a crash that occured when accepting the surrender of an AI player
Exalted reverted to have Inflict Daze on Bronze
Exalted now get Righteous Zeal on Gold instead of Stunning Touch (+3 fire/shock damage versus heretics)
Evangelists now get the “Denounce Heretic” ability on Silver medal (a single target ranged ability that marks a unit in tactical combat as a Heretic)
Fixed an issue where a concealed unit wouldn’t be properly revealed on the world map when the terrain it was stood in changed
Draconian deity Economic for Necromancers now gives +20 production to cities with Great Temples instead of 200 Happiness.
Tigran patron Military now gives 7 HP to Tigran Sun Guards and Sabretooth Chariots instead of Fast Healing.
Fixed an issue where relationship bonuses for completing quests would disappear incorrectly

Exalted Evangelist combo is going to be scary now.

I know you keep saying you're short on time, but how much longer is this patch going to be in beta?

(Also guys, this is the last planned patch for a while, so if you have feedback to get in, now's the time.)

madmac fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 28, 2015

• Locked thread