Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
A comprehensive list of baseball mascots that are good:
Pirate Parrot
Phillie Phanatic (Pennsylvania is really good at baseball mascots)
San Diego Chicken
Youppi!
Crazy Crab
any mascot with a big baseball for a head
Harry Caray

All other mascots should be put to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
you forgot the Mariner Moose

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZe1hDIEHJM

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Crazy Crab owns. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE8HrM1TTWw

quote:

In his one-year stint as Crazy Crab, during the Giants' 96-loss season in 1984, Doba was pelted with the flotsam and jetsam of Candlestick, including effluvia from the men's room wrapped in balloons...

Crawford talked about the Crab "running in front of the bleachers and being hit by golf balls, carrots, beer bottles, everything." Gallagher added, "Toward the end we were sort of afraid for him. People were throwing so many things, and I don't think he could see too well."
Gallagher remembered backup catcher Steve Nicosia putting on the costume in the clubhouse, dancing around, then depositing a wad of tobacco juice inside. Greg Minton spit mint-flavored chew into the outfit and Chili Davis once tossed Gatorade through the eye hole. After months of abuse, the Crab was knocked out of action the last week of the '84 season when Doba was blindsided by a Padres player while circling the stadium with a rubber torch to "Chariots of Fire."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Crab-still-sealed-with-a-hiss-3132145.php#ixzz2SGRbCWKJ

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

A mascot specifically for the home crowd to jeer, boo and throw poo poo at? Amazing, loving amazing. Somebody throw on a hot dog suit and go run around Wrigley, I need someone to absorb some abuse over the lovely Cubs.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Meltathon posted:

A mascot specifically for the home crowd to jeer, boo and throw poo poo at? Amazing, loving amazing. Somebody throw on a hot dog suit and go run around Wrigley, I need someone to absorb some abuse over the lovely Cubs.

How about a mascot with a turtleneck, sweatshirt, and old school headphones? It could be called the Bart Man

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Mahoning posted:

How about a mascot with a turtleneck, sweatshirt, and old school headphones? It could be called the Bart Man

The between innings mascot race at Wrigley should be a goat, Bartman, a black cat, and Mark Prior's right arm.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mahoning posted:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

tadashi posted:

The between innings mascot race at Wrigley should be a goat, Bartman, a black cat, and Mark Prior's right arm.

It would sort of be like Trogdor.

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 4, 2013

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Mornacale posted:

Pirate Parrot
San Diego Chicken
Youppi!
Crazy Crab
Harry Caray

Wait wait wait. San Diego has a chicken? That's loving amazing. The Pirate Parrot works because it makes perfect sense. Of course a group of 25 pirates is going to have a parrot. They used to have an actual pirate but I haven't seen him in like 3 or 4 years.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Mornacale posted:

Pirate Parrot
San Diego Chicken
Youppi!
Crazy Crab
Harry Caray

Uhhhhh Stomper?

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

JediGandalf posted:

Seconding what OdinsBeard says. Colorado is also know for craft beer. I know since it's "Coors Field" I'd imagine a poo poo-ton of Coors beers there but there are no craft beers anywhere in the stadium? No Great Divide for example?

It varies depending on the moon cycles or something but there is good beer there. I've seen Upslope and Great Divide in Coors, and failing any good microbrew if you want a non Coors Colorado product (which should be EVERYONE) New Belgum is all over the park.

Then before / after / during the game jet across the street to the Sports Column to get properly wrecked and mug for the occasional pregame camera crews. Also, before the game you should be going to Biker Jim's.

http://bikerjimsdogs.com/

If you don't want that in your mouth right now you are dead. The Elk, Rattlesnake or Duck dogs are the best, but the entire menu is god drat delicious.

Spaceman Future! fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 4, 2013

JediGandalf
Sep 3, 2004

I have just the top prospect YOU are looking for. Whaddya say, boss? What will it take for ME to get YOU to give up your outfielders?

Joe Don Baker posted:

Wait wait wait. San Diego has a chicken? That's loving amazing. The Pirate Parrot works because it makes perfect sense. Of course a group of 25 pirates is going to have a parrot. They used to have an actual pirate but I haven't seen him in like 3 or 4 years.
Yeah it was years ago. Now it's the Swinging Friar.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
I don't think that the Chicken was even officially affiliated with the Padres (at least, initially.) He was like a volunteer mascot or something.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

William T. Hornaday posted:

I don't think that the Chicken was even officially affiliated with the Padres (at least, initially.) He was like a volunteer mascot or something.

Yeah he was at Chargers games a lot too when I was a kid. The San Diego Chicken owned. Much better than the Friar or Bolt-man

MourningView posted:

That goddamn monkey is still shown on the screen at Angels games (accompanied by music from motherfucking Disturbed) and it is the most embarassing and hilarious thing. People go nuts too.

Yeah it freaking rules

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Yeah it freaking rules

- every Orange County soccer mom in Angels stadium.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Mahoning posted:

what about a guy who boots an obvious double play grounder but has been living comfortably with his millions with virtually no opprobrium?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Okay, so here's a casual guide to...

Citizens Bank Park
1 Citizens Bank Way
Philadelphia, PA 19148
(215) 463-1000

* - Directions and Parking: I've paid $15 to park at the stadium, which doesn't feel outrageous to me. The park is very easily find-able from 95 and whatnot.

* - Public Transportation/SEPTA
"The Broad Street subway line, with the AT&T Station located at the corner of Broad Street and Pattison Avenue, is available for all events at the Sports Complex. Frequent service operates from Center City, Olney and Fern Rock. The subway also connects with PATCO service at the Walnut-Locust Station.

There is also bus service to Broad Street and Pattison Avenue. Guests should call 215-580-7800 or log onto septa.org for updated schedules."

* - Need a cheap place to stay?: Try the Skyview Plaza Hotel. I stayed here in 2010 for under $70 a night with a friend, then we walked (roughly) a mile to the park. It's also about the same distance from the metro. If you stay here, your parking is free, and you can hit Chickie's and Pete's (decent Philly-themed sports bar/restaurant) on the way to CBP. The hotel is the absolute bare minimum, but it's just a place to sleep while you spend your day in Philly, and the night at a Phillies game.

* - poo poo You Can't Do

* - Stuff Inside the Park:

Memory Lane

This is a wall of the Phillies' history near the bullpens, pretty neat stuff. Just a big collage of photos and facts via a timeline on a wall.

Bull's Barbecue
If you've been to Oriole Park at Camden Yards, you know Boog Powell has a barbecue stand. Well, Philly's Greg Luzinski has done the same - decent barbecue, and you can talk to and get an autograph from the Bull himself.

McFadden's
If you bring someone who likes the drinking/party atmosphere of a game more than the actual game (a girl?), then let her and her friends go to McFadden's, where the crowd is half middle-aged guys, and half college kids. Guess which ogles the other. The neat part, though, is that if the game is sold out, you can still pay to park, go into McFadden's from outside the park, and enjoy the gameday atmosphere. You'll need your ticket(s) to get into McFadden's from the park, and back in to CBP.

Gift Shops
There are two main gift shops: the big two-story one (the second story is kid crap), and the tent/store near Ashburn Alley. There's also a small booth that sells game-used gear.

Ashburn Alley
Ashburn Alley is the part of the stadium that opens first on gameday, where all the restaurants are, Memory Lane, and the gift shops.

* - Where to Sit
If you buy not-lovely tickets at the last minute, you'll likely be forced to buy seats under the scoreboard. I say bite the bullet, and fork over a few extra bucks on Stub Hub for a seat where you can see the game action, AND the scoreboard. If you haven't been to the park before, don't sit in the higher-ups - all the neat food and shops are on the main level.

* - Phans

Security is much heavier and responsive than I remember as a kid at Veterans Stadium. That said, the blue-collar population at CBP is still there, and I've heard fans verbally poo poo on Ryan Church (in a Pirates uniform) for over an hour because he used to be a Met. You've heard about fans running on the field, fights, puking on people, and so on. Every Phillies game I've ever been to, I've seen something - whether it was a small drunk woman screaming while surrounded by 10 cops, piles and piles of vomit all over a urinal, someone tossing a full beer into a crowd of people, and on and on. Still, I think the Philly fan thing is a bit overhyped. If you're going to wear the visitors' gear, you'll be fine as long as you don't provoke the people looking for trouble. I probably wouldn't strut around after the game if your team beats the Phils, though.

* - Factoids
# Seats: 43,651
# Opened in: 2004
# The Announcer Since 1972: Dan Baker
# Citizens Bank Park allowed 218 home runs in 2004 and 201 in 2005. More than half of those home runs were to left-field. Following the 2005 season, the left-field wall was moved back 5 feet.
# The first no-hitter at Citizens Bank Park was thrown by Roy Halladay, on October 6, 2010, against the Cincinnati Reds in the first game of the 2010 National League Divisional Series.

Red fucked around with this message at 06:28 on May 4, 2013

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Boxman posted:

EDIT: okay I'm looking at the list of MLB mascots, and is the Rays mascot seriously DJ kitty? Where on earth did that come from?

Someone put a toddler-sized Rays jersey on their real life cat, had him play with the DJ Hero turntable, and put it on Youtube

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
I've been to CBP a lot (more than Citi, mainly because all my friends are degenerate Philadelphia trash and I hate myself) and the only thing I really have to add is that there's usually a pretty decent tailgate scene at CBP before games and it's a lot of fun. And affordable too, considering how... not awful parking is. I've never really been hassled drinking in the parking lot by security or anything.

There's also Xfinity Live! which is a complex of bars nearby the stadium which is an okay place to grab a few drinks or food before the games if you don't mind paying entirely too much and hobnobbing elbow to elbow with scum of the earth like Philadelphians.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I would just like to point out that the man who puked on a girl was from New Jersey. Thank you.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

William T. Hornaday posted:

The Chicken is an independent act, which I guess is how he appeared at different events around San Diego at the same time.

That kind of agency also allows things like ripping off it's head to reveal Pete Rose:

For regular people who don't watch pro wrestling, there was a period for a while where Pete Rose was eating piledrivers every year.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Mornacale posted:

Pirate Parrot
San Diego Chicken
Youppi!
Crazy Crab
Harry Caray

Slider in Cleveland is pretty cool.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
If your team has a mascot it's straight trash, sorry if offensive.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Hm.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
He coincided with a time when the Yankees were indeed straight trash.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

MondayHotDog posted:

I just heard on MLB.TV that the Braves have a game-used memoribilia store at Turner Field. That's really cool. Any other teams do this?

Comerica does, it even has grab bag signed/used baseballs for $35 bucks. Saw a guy buy one and get a Justin Verlander ball, then another guy get really excited, buy 3 and get two Ramon Santiago's and a Brennan Boesch.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Mahoning posted:

I'll do it when I get home later. I've been going to games there for almost 10 years and worked there for one season so I've been pretty much everywhere in the ballpark.

Do you have a section or two to recommend? I'm thinking of going either next Saturday or Sunday.

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001
What kind of a name is Pizza Organ! anyway?
Has anyone gone to AT&T Park with a StubHub ticket only on your phone and not printed out? Any trouble with that?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Not sure, signs point to yes. AT&T was one of the first ballparks to support the iPhone's passbook system for virtual tickets, which is basically the same thing.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Smackbilly posted:

Has anyone gone to AT&T Park with a StubHub ticket only on your phone and not printed out? Any trouble with that?

I did it and it was fine.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
The best Giants mascot will always be Tommy Lasorda.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

jerkstore77 posted:

The best Giants mascot will always be Tommy Lasorda.

wouldn't he be the Dodgers mascot or am I missing a joke?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I'm real late to this, but I have two additions to the Dodger Stadium write up.

First of all, NEVER use Stadium Way to get into the park. I grew up in Glendale, and we always came down the 5 to the 110, exiting at a little spur on Academy Road, to use the Academy entrance. This entrance works from the south/east as well, (you can get to Academy from Broadway) assuming you have a manageable way to get through downtown. Academy is usually fine, but for any big series or promotion, you have to get there early no matter what.

Chavez Ravine desperately needs a light rail spur extension into the parking lots, but that's not gonna happen any time soon unfortunately. (ownership should pay for it outright, in my opinion)

For seating, I think the lower rows of the Reserve level (the light blue level, 3rd one up), between the bases (sections 1-16), are the best value. They go for $20-30 for normal games, dynamic pricing bumps them as high as $60 I think for a few games a year. I am probably biased however, as my dad's had season tickets in the 4th row of the Reserve for 30 years. For lower attendance games (mid-week vs. the Marlins or whatever) I'd recommend grabbing seats way down the line in the Loge level on stub hub and just moving to the infield in the 2nd or 3rd inning. I've never seen ushers regularly checking tickets at the top of aisles.

~Back-In-Tha-Day~ when the team was lousy in the early-mid 90's, we used to be able to sneak down to vacant seats in the Loge and even Field levels from the Reserve, but these days the ushers at the internal stairwells will typically check your ticket and prevent you from going down a level. I was able to go from the Top Deck down to the Reserve level on opening day this year however. (couldn't snag a seat obviously, but there's more food options)

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001
What kind of a name is Pizza Organ! anyway?

Mornacale posted:

I did it and it was fine.

Trip report: the guy didn't even try to scan them -- said that he's tried before and they wouldn't work. He said it might work if I had a "regular phone" (?), instead of a nexus 7. I think he was just an idiot. The ticket office was very nice about printing paper tickets for me though.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Smackbilly posted:

Trip report: the guy didn't even try to scan them -- said that he's tried before and they wouldn't work. He said it might work if I had a "regular phone" (?), instead of a nexus 7. I think he was just an idiot. The ticket office was very nice about printing paper tickets for me though.

I've had tickets directly from MLB scanned off of my phone before and there's no reason their barcode should be any different than Stub Hub's. That dude just didn't know what was up.

Also I really need to do a write-up on the Coliseum but I've been so busy :(

Senf fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 9, 2013

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

tadashi posted:

I thought Ronnie Woo-Woo was the Cubs mascot. :v:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

bawfuls posted:

I'm real late to this, but I have two additions to the Dodger Stadium write up.

Yeah, you can get in and out from the stadium real fast if you get into the stadium from the 110 towards downtown and out 110 towards Pasadena.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

The Chicken is an independent act, which I guess is how he appeared at different events around San Diego at the same time.

That kind of agency also allows things like ripping off it's head to reveal Pete Rose:

For regular people who don't watch pro wrestling, there was a period for a while where Pete Rose was eating piledrivers every year.

I believe Rose is also in the WWE Hall of Fame?

I'm working on a Turner Field write-up after going last Friday. Hopefully I'll have it up by the weekend.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

riht posted:

Oriole Park at Camden Yards

Food
In addition to your usual ballpark staples, Camden Yards also serves many Old Bay and/or crab items. Crab and mac & cheese topped hot dogs, Maryland crab soup, crab cakes, crab dip topped waffle fries, Old Bay sausages, Old Bay sausage in a pretzel roll topped with Old Bay crab dip, Old Bay chips, Old Bay fries.. yeah, you get the idea. This year, they've opened a few more stands with vegetarian (the TAKO-Korean stand) and gluten-free options (gluten-free rolls upon request at some places, gluten-free pizza, etc). Sealed plastic bottles and food area allowed in as well.

A hot dog topped with pulled pork topped with a slab of maple-syrup dipped bacon. Goon paradise.

Mmmm, Old Bay goes on everything. I work at Camden Yards, not for baseball, but concessions. I have tried almost everything except for a few things and it's all pretty good.

You didn't mention Gino's :cmon:

Jack Daniels Grill is really good, I'd suggest everything.

The Natty Boh Bars have cheap (for a baseball park) beer from gates opening until the end of the first inning. I think it's 4.75 for 16 oz?

The kimchi at Tako's was good. They have Pad Thai but it's served cold, is that a thing? I never go down there.

Polock Johnny's is pretty good, get it with the works sauce.

There's only one kosher stand and I never get down there. I'd like to try it, though.

Red posted:

Here are some additional tips:

- Need a free place to park? Just west of MLK Boulevard is Parkin Street (no, seriously), next to the B&O Railroad Museum. Park on Parkin Street, next to the fence that surrounds the trains - but don't park above Pratt Street, though, as that part of Parkin has signs. I've parked there daily for work, and have used it for Orioles games for the last decade.

- Inside Camden Yards is a place called The Baltimore Chop House. You can get a great steak sandwich with a fried egg on it. One of the better things offered in-park. Also hit up anything with a Flying Dog logo.

- Here are some of the vendors at Camden Yards. The article is from 2010, but most of those folks are still around.

- Even if you don't plan on eating there, Boog's Barbecue usually has a visitor: Boog Powell. He's a nice guy and will sign stuff, chat, and so on.

The first vendor, "Fancy" Clancy is a strong motherfucker that would make an YLLS goon blush. He's generally in my area and I see him pretty often, never talked to him, though. I don't recognize anyone else but they may be there. The vendors are all loving crazy and when they're reupping on beer/whatever, many of them are screaming, doing jumping jacks, push ups, whatever to psych themselves up to sell product.

Chop House is good, ask for whatever on a Quesadilla.

Boog's line has been too long for me to go to. :( I could skip the line but eh, it's open air and I'd feel kind of bad cause everyone could see me skipping it.

Even not working with the birds themselves, being at Camden Yards is pretty cool and a genuinely unique park. I go to Nationals Stadium occasionally and while it's incredible nice, it doesn't have the same feeling of being a great park like Camden Yards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome OClock
May 24, 2013

A steaming pile of awesome... Covered in syrup.
Fenway Park, Boston, MA

Built in 1912, Fenway Park celebrates its 101st season in 2013 as America's oldest Major League park still in use. As you might have guessed, Fenway's best years are probably long behind her, but it doesn't stop ownership from overusing the awful slogan "America's most beloved ballpark".

Getting There: No matter how you slice it, Boston is an awful place to park. Any one game could cost you up to $40 to park in any independently owned lot or garage. If a 25 minute minute walk doesn't bother you, there's occasionally reasonably priced parking ($7 is the most I've ever paid,) in Central Square in Cambridge, but again, it's not exactly close.

The T (subway) is perhaps the quickest and cheapest way to get to Fenway. Any Green Line Train, aside from E will take you directly to Kenmore Square, where Fenway is no more than a 3 minute walk. Be warned; since this is the most popular route, it tends to fill up and crowed very quickly.

Seating and Ticketing: Win or lose, the Red Sox are one of the most profitable organizations in baseball. As such, the current ownership has taken every opportunity to gouge ticket prices to the point of $30 bleacher seats generally being the cheapest. Occasionally, there are standing room deals, which can hover in the $20, but still no bargains to be found here. Generally, I've found the infield grandstand to be the best seats for the money ($45~), but seeing as how this is an old ballpark, many seats have obstructed views. Infield Box seats may be worth your while if you're looking to splurge at around $120, but everything after that will be several hundred dollars, and generally not worth it.

Concessions: I think I failed to mention that ticket pricing is the highest in the MLB, and concessions are no different. Fenway just manages to top New York as the most expensive concessions in the Major Leagues. You'll probably not find anything special as far as concessions go. While there's a fairly large selection of different food items, it's all quite generic and overpriced. Sometimes you can find premium domestic beer, but at nearly $9 for a 12oz cup, it's definitely a turn-off. Even if the prices aren't a huge turn-off, lines for concessions are forever long, you're likely to miss entire innings waiting to be served.

Around the Area: Needless to say, there's plenty to do around Fenway. Yawkey Way would be where one would find team merchandise and memorabilia. Lansdowne St is the spot for nightclubs; there's also The House of Blues. Bars and restaurants can be found along Brookline Ave and Throughout Kenmore Square. The Cask and Flagon, remains one of, if not the most popular, watering hole before, during and after any Red Sox game, but it fills up quickly and is generally a magnet for Pink Hats. More recently, Bleacher Bar has opened. As the name implies, the bar literally sits below the bleachers inside of Fenway, where patrons can watch the game level with the field. Interestingly enough, this particular bar does not require tickets, but as you can imagine, it can fill quickly.

In Closing: While Fenway Park seems to be going strong over 100 years after it first opened, there was a time, not too long ago, where there were serious talks about building a new park. The current ownership was smart enough to renovate the park, but it tends to be double-edged sword, since you can only modernize such old facilities so much. Even so, the trip is worth it; for all of its flaws, there is a slight romanticism in any visit to Fenway. Just remember that, comparatively, there's a lot to be desired.

• Locked thread