Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Thundarr posted:

So hold the phone. By going full crit/det I'd lose 40 points of acc the instant my Animus becomes Novus, ensuring I am forever unable to so much as lay a finger on anything in coils even with a full suit of unweathered soldiery gear unless (maybe) I keep giant stacks of HQ three star food on me at all times?

At least I'd be able to hit non-endgame monsters like a truck, I guess. :smith:

This has already been covered a few times, but yes, as far as the general principle goes, the sphere scroll replaces your relic's existing secondary stats. It does not add to them.

In monk's case specifically, you'll be hurting for acc if you're strictly using gloam soldiery gear (upgraded or not), without also getting accuracy from your weapon. And hell, with a 0 accuracy weapon, even at 110 you'll want to mix and match between upgraded gloam and high allagan poo poo.

However, take advantage of the fact that you've got a variety of options.

If you're working on 100 gear primarily, grab the CT2 body. CT2 body plus 0 accuracy weapon plus soldiery gear everywhere else (throw your first oil of time at a ring and use weathered and normal gloam rings), and you've got 483 accuracy. Perfectly good starting point; add a bit of food for later turns of coil2 or if you ever need to hit something from the front (which you ideally want to avoid as a monk of course...).

Alternatively, get and unweather a Glanzfaust, since you'll very likely get a 110 weapon faster that way than via Novus. And it comes with 44 accuracy (40 before you unweather it), making it super easy to hit your accuracy goals. (This also lets you use soldiery body instead of CT2, trading unneeded accuracy for delicious crit.)

Vil fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Is there an easier way to get an invite to Muscle Wizards on Cactuar other than spending an hour trying to find someone online one by one by doing player search?

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

You can send an application from their house, if they have one, I believe.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

hello internet posted:

Is there an easier way to get an invite to Muscle Wizards on Cactuar other than spending an hour trying to find someone online one by one by doing player search?

You can submit an application at the house, which is in Ward 2 of the Goblet, plot 25. Also you can send me a PM here if you can't find it and I'll come online and send you an invite.

HellOnEarth fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 11, 2014

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
I like all the ACC talk by people who aren't doing coil. If you're not doing coil2 you pretty much never need to worry about acc, so stop. If you are doing coil2 you'll be rolling in so much acc you won't complain about it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
You don't need to have coil 2 drops to be rolling in accuracy now. I haven't gotten t6 cleared yet but due to grabbing i110s from hunts I'm sitting at 510 accuracy right now(on a monk). :v:

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
Really, the main times you'll be struggling for accuracy is if you're just clearing T5 and trying to gear up from i90 gear to take on T6 (since T6 is a pretty big jump due to having to hit bulbs/bees from the front), and when you start attempting T9, by which point you should have at least a couple of pieces of i110 gear.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

It's also, of course, possible to be preparing for coil2, or to be doing it but had lovely luck with drops, but those circumstances don't make for as neat and convenient a blanket statement.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
As a MNK I'm not sure that's necessary. Only the person with the bee should be dpsing from the front and the bulb dies so fast it's really not worth it. The only fight the front dps matters is T9.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Belzac posted:

As a MNK I'm not sure that's necessary. Only the person with the bee should be dpsing from the front and the bulb dies so fast it's really not worth it. The only fight the front dps matters is T9.

Ehh, pre-hunts it was a bit more important since new groups didn't have the dps to just blow up bees and bulbs. My static definitely had some trouble during the first week or two of attempting t6 because everyone had i90 gear with i95 weapons at best, and the odd piece of i100 gear. We'd have to coordinate dps cooldowns to make sure bulbs and bees died cleanly. A month later and all our DPS has unweathered sol weapons, some coil drops, CT2 gear, and an extra few weeks of unweathered gear on top of what they had before. Now we wipe because we have too MUCH dps. :v:

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
My first t6 was with full i90s cause it was when the patch hit. And we did burn strat.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Belzac posted:

My first t6 was with full i90s cause it was when the patch hit. And we did burn strat.
lol

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Coilchat: What are the best ways to save your stacks on MNK in T9? I seem to be doing alright by using PB right at the start cause it comes back just in time for golems, and continuing to dps during Iron Chariot/Beam. But it seems like it's impossible to save them during double meteor streams.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

That is correct.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yeah you're just going to lose them there. Not much can be done about it. If I'm mid combo on my DRG I can still get the next hit off on single meteor streams, but I can't on doubles.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
How to stacks:

P1: Don't PB to start, don't stack for beam unless you're the beam target, don't use ToD for anything after the first application and once again after double stream (only if your dps is bad and you get 5+ meteors). Always try to apply Demo/Fracture right at the start of a rotation (right after beam, right after single streams). You will lose stacks on double stream. PB when she lands and build stacks again.

P2: Lol, who cares, punch rocks, don't use dots.

P3: PB after first heavensfall, dot up before switching to ghosts, don't dot ghosts.

P4: DPS from the front till you learn when you can not be stacked. PB after divebombs. Stop dotting after beam.

dangersandwich
May 18, 2014

that poo poo kweh

Margaret Chosen One
Apr 3, 2007
You better grow eyes in the back of your head, you horned piece of shit, because I'm not gonna sleep until worms are crawling up your foam-rubber ass! I'm goin' on safari motherfucker! SA-FAR-I!

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Since we're talking about Novus, how should I be doing mine as a BLM? Just crit and det, or do I want to mix in 7 points of Piety to get an extra cast of Fire in my AF rotation? Should spell speed be a consideration?

Further to this, what about getting enough pie to hit 264 and reliably use t3 in your rotation? Is that still a Good Thing to do? As a dunesfolk lala I'd need 19 which is the exact amount spare if I don't meld t4's.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Belzac posted:

How to stacks:

P1: Don't PB to start, don't stack for beam unless you're the beam target, don't use ToD for anything after the first application and once again after double stream (only if your dps is bad and you get 5+ meteors). Always try to apply Demo/Fracture right at the start of a rotation (right after beam, right after single streams). You will lose stacks on double stream. PB when she lands and build stacks again.

P2: Lol, who cares, punch rocks, don't use dots.

P3: PB after first heavensfall, dot up before switching to ghosts, don't dot ghosts.

P4: DPS from the front till you learn when you can not be stacked. PB after divebombs. Stop dotting after beam.

I've always been under the impression that I should always have at least Demolish up at all times. So I'll actually improve my DPS by sticking with Snap Punch at certain points?

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

SpazmasterX posted:

I've always been under the impression that I should always have at least Demolish up at all times. So I'll actually improve my DPS by sticking with Snap Punch at certain points?

Demolish has to be up for 9 seconds (tick three times) to be better than using a Snap Punch. If the mob doesn't look like it's going to live that long, you should not use Demolish.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
The same applies if the monster is going to leave the field for several ticks (meteor stream).

I should also mention that if you're using a parser it usually doesn't know the boss is immune to damage and if you put up all your dots before they go immune your parser will still think they're doing damage.

Edit: Also putting up Fracture/ToD can wreck your stacks in P1, learn where to put them up.

Belzac fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 11, 2014

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Klades posted:

Demolish has to be up for 9 seconds (tick three times) to be better than using a Snap Punch. If the mob doesn't look like it's going to live that long, you should not use Demolish.

Ohh, so it's better to not use it on adds you have to down quickly anyways like golems and ghosts. Good to know. FWIW, I've been averaging 350+ DPS on our attempts so far at i100.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Since we're talking about Novus, how should I be doing mine as a BLM? Just crit and det, or do I want to mix in 7 points of Piety to get an extra cast of Fire in my AF rotation? Should spell speed be a consideration?

Spell Speed major, Crit minor, get 255 Piety (not including Scholar bonus) and you have enough MP for a 5th Fire in full party content. I use Pineapple Juice HQ for this instead of allocating stats/materia for it.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Wouldn't it be better to spend your allocated stats to get enough piety rather than your novus?

In the short term you're getting a couple more int which is cool but if you ever have to drop your novus you can't do your optimal poo poo anymore.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Belzac posted:

Wouldn't it be better to spend your allocated stats to get enough piety rather than your novus?

In the short term you're getting a couple more int which is cool but if you ever have to drop your novus you can't do your optimal poo poo anymore.

Thats, uh, what I said.

I just use Spell Speed/Piety food instead of putting any stats into it because fart.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Belzac posted:

Depends on how much you'd rather have 7 INT vs 7 Spell Speed or Crit. That's a pretty hefty chunk of your primary stat to lose out on.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So now that I'm going to need hella crafting materia, I should be spirit bonding poo poo and converting it right?

Should I just craft some accessories and run CT2?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

bleuraindrops posted:

You should definitely /shout and ask to join a party for hunts, especially if you found it!Being in a party helps you get full credit since it's shared. For that really big monster (Safat is an S rank, the highest), it's possible to get x10 the reward you got.

I was trying, but nobody would invite me to one and there were like 50 people there, so my shouts were kind of buried beneath a) the other people shouting for an invite and b) the smartasses clogging up chat trying to make snippy jokes about people shouting for invites!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

When that happens, the best course of action when it seems you won't get an invite quick is often to start throwing out invites to other people looking for invites.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I guess that makes sense too. I hadn't thought of that.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Just join the pubbie TS with your character name as your username and you'll get invited to a group.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Doublestep posted:

Spell Speed major, Crit minor, get 255 Piety (not including Scholar bonus) and you have enough MP for a 5th Fire in full party content. I use Pineapple Juice HQ for this instead of allocating stats/materia for it.

Last time I checked the Giant BLM Spreadsheet more recent testing had put determination on par with Spell Speed and slightly better than crit. So another viable option would be 44 Spell Speed, ~23 Det, and then however much Piety you need for 5 fires.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Belzac posted:

You can always just shift back afterwards, can't you? The best thing about Novus for BLM and scholar is that you get to make a tradeoff (substat -> Piety / Accuracy) that isn't actually available anywhere else without taking a nice primary stat hit for the effort.

Niton fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 12, 2014

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Meiteron posted:

Last time I checked the Giant BLM Spreadsheet more recent testing had put determination on par with Spell Speed and slightly better than crit. So another viable option would be 44 Spell Speed, ~23 Det, and then however much Piety you need for 5 fires.

Stop telling people to meld Piety to their novus

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Has anyone who plays using a DS3 or DS4 had the problem where the game will just sort of "forget" your controller for a moment and continue inputting the previous stick positions, resulting in your character continuing to move/camera continuing to spin? Someone I know has this problem and it is causing serious issues. Doesn't happen anywhere except FFXIV, either.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Klades posted:

Has anyone who plays using a DS3 or DS4 had the problem where the game will just sort of "forget" your controller for a moment and continue inputting the previous stick positions, resulting in your character continuing to move/camera continuing to spin? Someone I know has this problem and it is causing serious issues. Doesn't happen anywhere except FFXIV, either.

Yes. I never solved this, so I just switched to keyboard and mouse to fix the problem.

Meli-Lightfox
Feb 19, 2012

Mew

Klades posted:

I've had similar issues with my DS4 doing this. I have mostly been able to figure on my end is from lag. If I am chatting via the PS4 party, when the move/camera issues happen, my mic tends to cut in and out.
I mean it could totally be a different problem, but mine seem to be remotely around lag spikes.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Didn't win the last minute oil roll, but I did get the goofiest healing helm possible D:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I'm mad because there's a PVP caster set that looks awesome as hell which means now I need to PVP. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

Kitfox88 posted:

I'm mad because there's a PVP caster set that looks awesome as hell which means now I need to PVP. :sigh:

If you're talking about the BLM pvp set, it is THE best set. I mean sure I can look like a cute elk or a swan, but that fox tail is rad, and the hat has ears. Then you have the couture boots that look like you're walking on your toes. it's amazing. I just need 24 more pvp levels ><

• Locked thread