Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

PantsOptional posted:

No, that's still Superman III. Superman IV contributed nothing of value.

He has super-fixbrokenwall vision. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

I like to read about horribly troubled productions so it gave us that :kiddo:

So do I! Is there a particular place where we could read about it?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

So do I! Is there a particular place where we could read about it?

http://www.agonybooth.com/recaps/Superman_IV__The_Quest_for_Peace_1987.aspx

There's a bit about it here on this retrospective on Cannon Films: http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/cannon-films/27317/the-rise-and-fall-of-cannon-films

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 4, 2014

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

zoux posted:

Per our discussion yesterday, if you really wanna gently caress up your kids show them Superman III :twisted:

That scene scared the poo poo out of me as a kid.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Madkal posted:

That would be so right and so wrong at the same time.

Why not Karl Urban?

Because then everyone would be wondering why Shazam wasn't calling Black Adam a punk and giving him a death sentence. :colbert:

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I don't care if it is or isn't, but it seems like Shazam isn't connected to MoS/BvS?

Actually, I do care.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

omg chael crash posted:

I don't care if it is or isn't, but it seems like Shazam isn't connected to MoS/BvS?

Actually, I do care.

It sounds like it is, it just won't directly cross over with those films.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

bobkatt013 posted:

He has super-fixbrokenwall vision. :colbert:

He also stops a volcanic eruption by cutting off the top of a mountain, turning it upside down and dropping it onto the volcano like he corks a bottle.

Makes me think that all the people complaining that Superman didn't do enough Supermanly things in Man of Steel should just watch Superman IV, he practically never stops saving people in that movie.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Supermanly things = lifting and bending things.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Also, tearing phone books in half and shaving with a hunting knife/bone shard.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Grendels Dad posted:

Also, tearing phone books in half and shaving with a hunting knife/bone shard.

This is the most Supermanly way to shave:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvkDcrbLP2s

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
That is not how mirrors work!

Unless his bathroom mirror is made from his space ship he came in as a baby.

The silver age expansion would be he has a clone trapped in a mirror dimension to help him shave, or he shoots miniature super men from his hand and those use their heat vision.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

greatn posted:

That is not how mirrors work!

Unless his bathroom mirror is made from his space ship he came in as a baby.

God, that drove me nuts as a kid. He gets his superpowers from the sun, but why the hell is everything from Krypton indestructible on Earth?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Modern movie era shaving would be Superman has a beard but then Batman tells him his beard is stupid and the beard retreats and Superman cries because holy poo poo you guys Batman is that awesome.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Has Superman always been powered by the sun? I could have sworn that wasn't a thing when I read Superman comics when I was a child, or at least it wasn't heavily focused on.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

Has Superman always been powered by the sun? I could have sworn that wasn't a thing when I read Superman comics when I was a child, or at least it wasn't heavily focused on.

No, in the original origin Superman's powers were just the result of his species. They used a "he comes from a planet that is super-large and has immense gravity" explanation after a while. The Earth's Yellow Sun explanation came along later. However unless you're in your 80s, Superman's powers being the result of the sun would have been around when you were reading comics.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Grendels Dad posted:

Yes, originally he was just 'more evolved', hence the "Man of Tomorrow" moniker. The development of Superman's powers are actually pretty interesting, like being able to fly because Fleischer ask since it was easier to animate, or his heat vision simple being him "concentrating" his x-rays into a single beam.

edit: After a quick trip to wikipedia, Superman has been getting his powers from the sun since the '60s.

e X fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Sep 5, 2014

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

In my 30's so I probably just missed it. Thanks.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It wasn't that important a plot point in non comic media until maybe the 90s. I don't think Reeve or Reeves ever worried about the sun, not sure if Dean Stockwell had to worry about it. It didn't show up in TV til the animated series I think, and not in movies til returns.

It was a thing in comics but not really common pop culture knowledge until recently.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

greatn posted:

It wasn't that important a plot point in non comic media until maybe the 90s. I don't think Reeve or Reeves ever worried about the sun, not sure if Dean Stockwell had to worry about it. It didn't show up in TV til the animated series I think, and not in movies til returns.

Dean Cain, surely?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

greatn posted:

It was a thing in comics but not really common pop culture knowledge until recently.

In Superman 2 Zod realizes that its the sun that gives him power when he is on the moon. Then in Superman 4 Superman moves the planet since Nuclear Man's weakness is darkness.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Yeah Superman getting his powers from the sun (and then subsequently storing said power in his body for when the sun wasn't there) isn't anything new and has been a thing for ages.

It's just more recently it's been used as a second wind/powering up in battle when he's getting his rear end handed to him.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Superman has to burn himself to get rid of hair. Sure hope he doesn't have to do any manscaping.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

bobkatt013 posted:

In Superman 2 Zod realizes that its the sun that gives him power when he is on the moon. Then in Superman 4 Superman moves the planet since Nuclear Man's weakness is darkness.

I thought he moved the moon to create an eclipse? I think I was distracted at the time trying to figure out why Mariel Hemingway wasn't busy exploding or suffocating in the vacuum of space.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Lobok posted:

Superman has to burn himself to get rid of hair. Sure hope he doesn't have to do any manscaping.

On my planet the S stands for Smooth.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

PantsOptional posted:

I thought he moved the moon to create an eclipse? I think I was distracted at the time trying to figure out why Mariel Hemingway wasn't busy exploding or suffocating in the vacuum of space.

Yes it was the moon. It was stupid no matter what. Trying to remember that movie can cause brain damage.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

PantsOptional posted:

I think there was another scene where Superman had her in his arms in space and Nucular man attacked him, and she dangled on his hand, about to fall back to earth. From space. I don't know much about gravitation and whatnot, but that was hella stupid even to kid me.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lobok posted:

Superman having chest hair in Man of Steel was something Cavill actually requested.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Grendels Dad posted:

I think there was another scene where Superman had her in his arms in space and Nucular man attacked him, and she dangled on his hand, about to fall back to earth. From space. I don't know much about gravitation and whatnot, but that was hella stupid even to kid me.

A bigger challenge would be finding something that the movie did right.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

A bigger challenge would be finding something that the movie did right.

I liked that Superman gave a museum one of his hairs to educate people how insanely powerful he is. Also the hair is really long, as far as I remember.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Grendels Dad posted:

I liked that Superman gave a museum one of his hairs to educate people how insanely powerful he is. Also the hair is really long, as far as I remember.

And the weight says 1000 lbs on it.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Grendels Dad posted:

Also the hair is really long, as far as I remember.

eww.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gathering up the worlds nuclear weapons and throwing them into the sun is like the first thing I'd do if I had Superman powers and I dunno why he's ever only done it once in a terrible movie and only because Christopher Reeve insisted on it.

That's...not from his head.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

Gathering up the worlds nuclear weapons and throwing them into the sun is like the first thing I'd do if I had Superman powers and I dunno why he's ever only done it once in a terrible movie and only because Christopher Reeve insisted on it.

You mean besides it would be Superman placing his will on the world instead of them doing it themselves? Once he does that he will soon be wearing the Super-pope hat.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

bobkatt013 posted:

You mean besides it would be Superman placing his will on the world instead of them doing it themselves? Once he does that he will soon be wearing the Super-pope hat.

I'm confused, you say this like it's a bad thing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Getting rid of all guns was indeed something Injustice Superman did. And he's basically Super-pope.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

This would also happen if I was Superman.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

bobkatt013 posted:

I'd be down with that.

Who doesn't want a Space Pope?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Lurdiak posted:

Getting rid of all guns was indeed something Injustice Superman did. And he's basically Super-pope.

drat. I never noticed that the symbol on the flag is the same one used in Injustice. That's a nice callback.

EDIT: Aw gently caress. That's not the original. I'm a big stupid. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lurdiak posted:

I like how Hal is bringing Supes a burger while everyone else has jewels. Kal-El the merciless will not be pleased.

If I was Superman I'd gather up all the Right Wing leaders and pundits and exile then to their own planet. Hey they keep saying how they were successful without any help or privilege so they should be fine.

• Locked thread