Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Logo by Quidnose.

--- PARTICIPANTS ---

No fancy visual spreadsheet this year, I'm afraid. The rules are still the same though. Post in this thread when you beat a game, using bold letters so I don't miss it. I'll try to update it as soon as possible.

List of participants!

--- ABOUT ---

Revol has been known for making these yearly marathon threads, but it seems he lost interest halfway through his second -Mario- marathon. I've took it upon myself to give it a try, because it was always fun to participate. It seems people wanted to play Kirby, so Kirby it is!

Remember, this is not a Let's Play. You are not watching me play through these games. We all are doing this. We play the games, and you report in to get marked on the spreadsheet, so everyone can see each others' progress. There will be challenges for each game.

There are more Kirby games out there, but they all have a weird gimmick that's not being a platformer (golf game, tetris clones, pinball etc.). I left most of these out because there would be just too much games to play. I did leave in Kirby's Air Ride, because I wanted to add at least something else than the usual Kirby experience and it's also the only GameCube game in the list. If people finish these games at an alarmingly fast pace, we can always decide to add more Kirby games. You're free to play and post about them either way!

--- GAMES ---

Standard challenges:

- Beat the game

Harder challenges:

- No deaths
- No power-ups (unless required)
- Pacifist (don't hurt enemies unless required)

If you have an idea for a challenge, speak up!

1992 - Kirby's Dream Land (Game Boy)

Special challenge:
- Finish extra mode (Explanation) (Example)
- Finish the game with just one HP (Explanation) (Example)

1993 - Kirby's Adventure (NES)/2002 - Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land (GBA)

Special challenge:
- Beat the game with 100% (Explanation)
- Finish extra mode (Explanation)
- Finish with the infinite mic glitch (Explanation)

1995 - Kirby's Dream Land 2 (Game Boy)

Special challenge:
- Collect all Rainbow Drops (Explanation)
- Beat the game with 100% (Explanation)

1996 - Kirby Super Star (SNES)/2008 - Kirby Super Star Ultra (NDS)

Regular challenge:
- Finish all sub-modes

Special challenge:
- Get all treasures in Great Cave Offensive
- Get all copy abilities in Milky Way Wishes
- Do a no-hit run of the superstar arenas

1997 - Kirby's Dream Land 3 (SNES)

2000 - Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (N64)

Special challenge:
- All shards + secret boss

2003 - Kirby Air Ride (GameCube)

Regular challenge:

- Select a game mode and earn at least 100 out of 120 challenges (find the "records" menu to see your progress)

Special challenge:
- Get these unlocks for all three modes (so 300/360)
- Complete all challenges

2004 - Kirby & The Amazing Mirror (GBA)

2005 - Kirby: Canvas Curse (NDS)

2006 - Kirby: Squeak Squad (NDS)

Special challenge:

2010 - Kirby's Epic Yarn (Wii)

2011 - Kirby Mass Attack (NDS)

Special challenge:
- Collect all the medals
- Get a Gold Star on every level (aka beat every level without getting hit)

2011 - Kirby's Return to Dream Land (Wii)

Special challenge:
- Get all Energy Spheres

2014 - Kirby Triple Deluxe (3DS)

--- RULES ---

* This thread is based upon one made by Revol. Credits where due.

* This is run by the honor system. We hope that you don't lie. If you cheat, you should own up to it.

* There is no restriction to what version of a game you can play. Emulators are allowed. You can play Kirby's Adventure on your Wii and Kirby 64 on your PC. Go wild. Just don't ask where to find roms. Talking about emulators should be fine.

* Save states are allowed, but only in moderation. You cannot abuse save states to make the game easier. They should only be used at the end of your play session to save your place when you come back to the game. If you use save states beyond that, you should consider it cheating.

* You do not have to play the games in the order presented here. The idea behind all this is to do so, but this is not an enforced rule. You can complete these games in whatever order you choose.

* You can earn multiple challenges on one game, and you can be awarded for them, within reason. I want to keep it to two challenges, though.

* If you started playing a game over six months ago, you must start over.

* There is no time limit you have to beat the games by. Participation does not end at the end of the year.

Grawl fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Sign me up! I love Kirby, so maybe I'll actually finish this marathon.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I'm in. I love these games.

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:
Love that Kirby. I'm in.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Do I even need to say my answer? If so, I'm absolutely in.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
Well, it seems the first Kirby game wasn't hard, took me 40 minutes and I died twice.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Count alf_pogs in. Any excuse to listen to Sand Canyon 1 theme.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

sign me up

I've beaten every Kirby game before and i'll do it again!

except Mass attack screw dat.

DiscoMouse
May 16, 2005

by XyloJW
I'm in! For the games I have access to at least, I don't have a Wii or 3DS.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'm in. Definitely not going for any no powerups runs, that's 75% of the fun!

TKImpulse
Oct 21, 2009
Count me in. Beaten a few games in the series already, this gives me an excuse to go for all of them.

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

Never beat any other than the first, this is a good chance to jump in the deep end.

Also, this marathon doesn't look too intimidating!

Sign woofbro up!

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Totally ready for this! Sign Quidnose up!

This is a marathon I think I can actually finish :3:

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I am so down. At least this time I know I can beat these games, because for the most part I already have!

Also don't forget to post a screenshot or photo of the ending when you get to it, guys!!

codenameFANGIO fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 31, 2013

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I like Kirby Games, so Hell Yeah I'm In

Magnatux
Nov 13, 2004

The surrealistic adventure became my world.
Sign me up!

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I just got the pun in the thread title. :doh:

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Failed miserably at the Mario marathon, but I'm in anyway.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
DarkHamsterlord has completed Kirby's Dreamland on Extra Mode! Dedede is kind of a pain in the rear end on Extra.

And while I didn't do it, I have an idea for a challenge. If you press down, B and select on the title screen you open a config menu. In this menu, you can set your max HP to 1.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I've always loved Kirby, so go ahead and sign me up.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Nightmare in Dreamland just got got! In addition to that, I completed it without Losing any lives and Collecting any powerups (barring the sword from the meta-knight fight, and the wand). I tried to do a pacifist run, but I accidentally slide-kicked into an enemy in world three, which thankfully made the rest of my experience much easier.

That said, it was hella stressful the entire way through. I don't think I'm going to attempt any of those types of challenges again (except maybe some harder difficulties if I have the time next semester).

I would like to see someone attempt the world 3 boss in that game (The sun and the moon) without getting hit and without getting any powerups. That fight was stressful as fuuuuuck.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

DarkHamsterlord posted:

DarkHamsterlord has completed Kirby's Dreamland on Extra Mode! Dedede is kind of a pain in the rear end on Extra.

And while I didn't do it, I have an idea for a challenge. If you press down, B and select on the title screen you open a config menu. In this menu, you can set your max HP to 1.

Nice, I added that to the OP and updated the spreadsheet.

We might get a graphical version after all, but I'll get back to that.

Snakeman
Nov 23, 2007

"Die, little Ninja."
I do love me some Kirby, Sign Me Up.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

After a poor showing at Mario[completing only Half I think], Sign me up I'm in it to win it this time!

Chat
Jun 3, 2011
You can count me in. Haven't played a Kirby game in a pretty long while. I'd love to play through the series again.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
I'm in! Kirby. :3:

shipwrecks
Dec 31, 2008

Sign me up! I haven't played a Kirby game in a while, this should be fun.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Kirbys Dreamland Complete, that game was short and sweet.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Is there any strategy for this zeppelin boss besides 'get lucky', because Kirby is really not cut out for this kind of gameplay.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Justin_Brett posted:

Is there any strategy for this zeppelin boss besides 'get lucky', because Kirby is really not cut out for this kind of gameplay.

Hold the B button and focus on dodging his shots, you'll inadvertently hit him while you're just avoiding taking damage. Avoiding his shots is kind of annoying because of Kirby's massive sprite, but thankfully his bullet patterns are pretty simple, so it's not too difficult to get around them if you keep to the far left edge of the screen.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Kirby's Dream Land beaten on Expert Mode by Justin Brett.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH
I'm not going to put my name down because I already have an insane Steam backlog, but I am going to recommend people try the Kirby's Dream Land Extra Mode if they already haven't. I played it recently for the first time and was really impressed. It's got a load of enemies the normal difficulty doesn't have, some enemies behave differently, bosses can have new attacks and different patterns, etc. It's not just "more enemies at once and they do more damage" nonsense.

Anyway, have fun all!

Chat
Jun 3, 2011
Chat has finished Kirby's Dream Land Extra Mode.

Man, extra mode doesn't screw around. I died a couple times in the first level just because I expected the game to still be a pushover.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
I'm gonna be playing Dream Land on Extra Mode to start the new year off right. http://www.twitch.tv/clockworkgadget

e: i immediately regret this decision

e2: DeDeDe is a fucker and also jesus this zeppelin rear end in a top hat. We finish this tomorrow, DeDeDe, when it is not 2:30 in the morning and also beers.

Clockwork Gadget fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jan 1, 2014

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
Having rested, I am now live again! Gonna give it a go from the beginning, for completion's sake.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Barfing Cumlord (god I love namechange threads) is definitely in.

PirateNipple
Apr 5, 2004

I'm In!

What about Kirby's Dream Course, though?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

...and Barfing Cumlord has beaten the very first Kirby's Dream Land.

I tried extra mode but it was harder than I thought it'd be. :(

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Are we allowed to participate if we don't have any way to play some of the games? I've only ever played Epic Yarn, Superstar and Canvas Curse, so this would be a good way to finally get most of the rest of the series out of my backlog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
Kirby's Dream Land completed on Extra Mode.

You can watch all 50 minutes of my run today there. Extra Mode makes Dream Land an actually slightly challenging game! I talk it up a bit in this video, but it turns out that it was mostly because I was too tired last night when I was playing. Of course, I only beat it in under an hour today because of the hour and a half or so I put into last night.

Kirby's Dream Land! It's such a nice, simple game.

• Locked thread