Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Look into the Essentials Axe Expertise feat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ArkInBlack posted:

Pretty sure that means yes, and the mental image it conjures is slaying me. GUN, WAND. GUNWAND.

You could also have a Carbine/Staff for melee weapon, ranged weapon, and implement attacks with no item switching necessary.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Kelbrinn, RHC Scout & Sharpshooter (Draconian Hunter)

I'm not sure if it'd be too ridiculous to have some kind shotgun attachment to the underside of the crossbow. It'd make it a bit easier to fight, but it's not a big deal to me to just swap between the two if it's a stretch.

Though he may have been born and raised under the rule of Ber's first true king, Kelbrinn never took much notice of the bold new direction his homeland was taking. His father, an old war veteran hardened by battle, didn't much care for Warlord Bruse (he dare not dignify that name with the term "king" or whatever flowery crap Bruse'd stolen from the Danor) or the direction he was guiding the country. Kelbrinn's father withdrew to the Anthras Mountains, far from the reach of the new kingdom, and started his family there, teaching his children the violent history of Ber which he believed to be the source of its strength, now forgotten by a fool of an orc.

Kelbrinn never really took his father's teachings to heart, though he did understand the value of strength as he spent much of his time hunting in the mountain wilderness. He spent many long years in those mountains perfecting the art of the hunt, occasionally applying those skills to fending off marauders who still thrived out in this still somewhat lawless place. Eventually though, he and his brothers grew weary of life in the mountains as wanderlust began to take hold of their young hearts. One day, after a few weeks of planning, they went on their separate ways, each determined to make their own way in a world rapidly changing around them.

While most of his siblings went about Ber, Kelbrinn set his sights on foreign soil, having witnessed early in his journey the Executores dola Liberta's idea of justice and desiring no part of that world. It was in Risur that he found himself at the steps of Banhaman Academy, apparently a quite famous war college (or so he was told by passerby). Curiosity regarding the tactics and battle philosophy of the mighty Risur got the better of Kelbrinn, prompting his application to the illustrious institution.

Though initially met with faint chuckles at his barbaric appearance, Kelbrinn proved himself quite capable in the combat assessment portion of the process. His hand-to-hand and melee prowess was okay; adequate, but not exceptional. Where he really surprised his evaluators was target practice. In his whole life, Kelbrinn had never held a weapon more complex than a bow; here, they had handed him a crossbow and a selection of firearms. Weapons of modern warfare they called them, anyone wanting to train for battle would need to be familiar with them or not bother fighting.

Kelbrinn's nervousness in the face of these unfamiliar tools faded as soon as he lay hand to grip; he could feel the power at his fingertips, knew by some unnatural instinct how the bolts and bullets would fly. With a bow, his focus was divided between aiming and the physical demands of the weapon; the actual work of making the projectile fly was done for him in these weapons, leaving him to focus on the mark. Every shot he fired in the moments after that first contact landed dead-on his targets, leaving little room for disputing his admission to the academy.

He studied and trained at Banhaman for a couple years, developing and honing shooting techniques and munitions so crossbows and firearms could have broader applications than simply killing their target. After graduating, Kelbrinn was quickly approached by the RHC, where he has happily served as both a scout and, when necessary, sharpshooter.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Generic Octopus posted:

I'm not sure if it'd be too ridiculous to have some kind shotgun attachment to the underside of the crossbow. It'd make it a bit easier to fight, but it's not a big deal to me to just swap between the two if it's a stretch.

It would have to be only one shot per encounter.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Really Pants posted:

It would have to be only one shot per encounter.

Hrm...I'll just keep one of each on hand then, might want more than one shot.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Daeren posted:

(Docker's a more appropriate Leader theme for Bharhash than Skygazer, so I assume he's made a name for himself in Flint with his "war stories." I'm not too experienced with 4e, but I've played a bit of it before, so I'm not a total newcomer to the system.)

You don't necessarily have to take a leader theme just because you've got a leader class. Some of the roles seem a bit off anyway. Yerasol Veteran is a lot more leader than defender, for example.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 3, 2014

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Cryss Portman
Bardent, Spirit Medium Theme

Executive summary: Grew up in the wrong part of town, joined the gang her older siblings ran with, saw what it did with them, chose the opposite direction and joined the cops. Idealistic and still somewhat naive, but not oblivious. Knows not everyone on the force shares her idealism, but believes she has to be the change he wants to see.

---

Born out of an affair between a half-elf and a fisherman's widow from Bosum Strand, Cryss was the runt of the litter and her slightly pointy ears set her apart, too. That lead to a hard time around other kids, including her three older siblings. Her mother loved her dearly, though, and tried to protect her as good as she could, but as Cryss grow older, her mother married a blacksmith and had two more kids, she just couldn't do it as well as before anymore. Cryss knew she had to prove to the other kids that she was not a "pampered pointy-ear princess" or any of the even less pleasant names she was called, but could stand on her own feet. Trying to impress, she tried to join the Guttercutter gang her older siblings ran with. Hanging out with and running some errands for them were nearly enough to turn her off this path, but Cryss was too eager to impress her older siblings. Seeing her sister slip into drug addiction already was barely tolerable, but when her oldest brother was found stabbed to death with the gang sign of the rival Tar Rats carved into his skin, she decided to turn away from this path and go in a completely different direction.

What her mother had taught her about living a good life was more important than trying to impress people. So she decided that the best way of living was making life better for others and the best way of doing that was by protecting them. Her decision to join the Flint city watch pleased her mother greatly and gave her solace in a time of grief over her dead son. Cryss joined the watch with a lot of idealism and even the dirty reality of street patrols and witnessing disinterest and even corruption couldn't break it. Instead, she resolved to be an examplary watchwoman, a role model to both her colleagues and the people in the streets. She didn't even care that some of the more resigned watchmen resented her for it, but it got her noticed by her superiors. When it was discovered that Cryss had a gift of connecting with the spirits of the past, her career took off. After putting her talent to the test by assigning her to several murder investigations, she was promptly deemed to valuable a talent to be wasted on the city watch. Her transfer to the RHC was arranged quickly after her status as medium was confirmed. After the first weeks quickly passed by with getting to know her way around the local branch of the Constabulary, Cryss was looking forward to prove herself during the big upcoming event, the launching of the Coaltongue.

frankenfreak fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 4, 2014

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

My name is Charles Easting. I used to be a spy. Until--

Well, it doesn't really matter. I got tired of it, I guess. Telling someone else's lies. I was working for a small but influential collective of behind-the-scenes powerbrokers, captains of industry and such. I can't point to the moment the Chamber's interests stopped aligning with my best interests, but I would have kept on doing it for the rest of my life, until my handler noticed I was asking too many questions. I was burned, cut off from all support in the middle of a critical operation. I was in Flint at the time, and I went straight into the nearest Risuri guard station and turned myself in. What I'd done to my home country deserved punishment.

I was expecting the worst, but the interrogators took an interest in me. In exchange for my cooperation and any information I could provide on the Chamber, I was offered a menial post in the Royal Homeland Constabulary, a new life and a fresh start. It's better than being executed for treason, and I can put my skills to use for a better cause. Enough of the cloak-and-dagger shite, I'm content to try and help people. And I've started to develop a name for myself back home on the docks as a fine entertainer, one of the good ones.

I should be fine here, safe from the Chamber, as long as I don't leave town. Or quit my post. Or arouse too much suspicion. Or try to contact them. Really, as long as I'm burned, I'm not going anywhere.

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 3, 2014

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Really Pants posted:

You don't necessarily have to take a leader theme just because you've got a leader class. Some of the roles seem a bit off, too. Yerasol Veteran is a lot more leader than defender, for example.

Oh really? That helps. I'll switch to Yerasol Veteran, then, though the fluff would be more about his Enforcer days. As for the Axe Expertise (Axepertise? :haw:) feat, that was the one I wanted, and chose wrong. I did the finishing touches at 2 in the morning, so I got a few things wrong that I've fixed with this update.

Updated Bharhash

The extra Proficiency feats are because my CB appears to be bugged and doesn't say that Warlords have the proficiencies they should.

Daeren fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 3, 2014

Harthacnut
Jul 29, 2014

Daeren posted:

Oh really? That helps. I'll switch to Yerasol Veteran, then, though the fluff would be more about his Enforcer days. As for the Axe Expertise (Axepertise? :haw:) feat, that was the one I wanted, and chose wrong. I did the finishing touches at 2 in the morning, so I got a few things wrong that I've fixed with this update.

Updated Bharhash

The extra Proficiency feats are because my CB appears to be bugged and doesn't say that Warlords have the proficiencies they should.

You've chosen the Archer Warlord feature, which swaps your chainmail and shield proficiencies for military ranged weapons, I think that's the problem.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Lord of Bore posted:

You've chosen the Archer Warlord feature, which swaps your chainmail and shield proficiencies for military ranged weapons, I think that's the problem.

:downs:

Thanks man, I was really confused as to why that only started happening when I went back to try to redo things. I suppose it took exception to me leaving that spot blank, despite it saying it was optional!

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Every law enforcement team needs somebody who is Getting Too Old For This poo poo.

Quinn Southwood

"Well, look here! Ain't you a fiiiiiine lookin' baby constable? Did ya polish that badge with yer diaper this mornin', ya fancy little lad? You remind me of my last partner, back when I was Flint police. Jerry, think his name was. Terry? Doesn't matter. Ol' Larry was a strapping young lad like you. All piss an' vinegar an' smashin' heads. Think he might have been military. Always had to be first through the door. 'Outta the way, grampa. Kickin' in doors is a young man's game,' he'd say. Well, we get this tip on an unlicensed gunsmith dealin' black market pistols out of the basement of this little tavern down in Bosum Strand. Garry is first through, an' the poor dumb bastard doesn't know a booby-trap when he see's one. He was dead for seven, maybe eight minutes, all told, 'fore I could get 'im breathin' again. Too long. Now he's playin' ALL the 'young man's games.' Droolin', shittin' himself, learnin' to walk. He's playin' 'em all. Probably be months before the docs an' the healers will even have him pushin' paperwork. If yer smart, you'll learn from Harry's mistake: You don't touch NOTHIN' that glows, rattles, ticks, hums, spins, or whistles. Whole worlds changin' fast out there, lad, and it AIN'T gettin' LESS dangerous."

Manifest Dynasty fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 7, 2014

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Question: I have a character idea in mind, but none of the Zeitgeist themes really fit (a heretical deva excommunicated and banished a few lifetimes ago from Crisillyir with a few funny ideas about religion and morality). Should I just use a non-Zeitgeist theme and refluff? Or, uh...try really hard to jam it into one of the Zeitgeist themes?

I get the feeling you're not actually meant to roll with someone who has any sort of connection to Crisillyir but TOO BAD.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Sep 4, 2014

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Hawthorn pixie Warlock|Executioner Vekeshi Mystic

Pixies. A myth, a legend, a story told around campfires. Tiny creatures, some say of light, that fly around full of mirth and mischief. Generally believed to be nothing but a story as those who have claimed to have seen them have also tended to wake up feeling exhausted, and perhaps even questioning their own memories as nothing more than a dream. Of course this will change as one lone pixie travels the world.

Yes pixies tend to be mirthful creatures of magic and nature. Happy go lucky and fun loving, bright spots in a gray world. That is except for Hawthorn. Hawthorn was always different than his fellows. He was darker, gloomier, and instead of playing pranks he was far more violent, far more final. He did not fit in with the rest of the pixies, and was driven from his home. Annoyed, yet still somewhat loyal, he began to travel the world learning of the advances that his kind were completely oblivious to.

Eventually he was given a task by the Unseen Court, testing his loyalty, but also in an attempt to get rid of him. He was sent to Flint, where the Unseen Court could not go, to learn what he could of these scientific advances that could potentially threaten the Unseen Court. And to learn of the threats that may grow unknown even to the people of Flint. For even they may not know just what may come of this new age.

And now in Flint what better way to learn of these unknown threats than to join the group that is there to protect Flint from such unknown and hidden threats? Despite his tiny size Hawthorn quickly proved quite adept at the blade, aided by magic. Despite wielding a rapier the size of a pin he has proven quite capable of taking down men, and far larger beasts. And he has proven quite capable of infiltrating places that the men and women of the Royal Homeland Constabulary find quite difficult.

In case there is any confusion Hawthorn is quite solidly a striker, some hybrids kind of mix roles or water down, but he is completely and utterly a striker. Despite the theme being a Defender theme.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Sep 4, 2014

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ProfessorCirno posted:

Question: I have a character idea in mind, but none of the Zeitgeist themes really fit (a heretical deva excommunicated and banished a few lifetimes ago from Crisillyir with a few funny ideas about religion and morality). Should I just use a non-Zeitgeist theme and refluff? Or, uh...try really hard to jam it into one of the Zeitgeist themes?

I get the feeling you're not actually meant to roll with someone who has any sort of connection to Crisillyir but TOO BAD.

The Zeitgeist themes are generally much stronger than normal themes, and also grant extra information to PCs once in a while.

What sort of heretical ideas did you have in mind? Would they draw your character to non-Clericist philosophies(Eschatologist, Skyseer, Vekeshi Mystic) or other things considered new and dangerous by the heirarchy(Gunsmith, Technologist)? Or maybe they come from inborn abilities that the Clergy would deem heretical(Spirit Medium)?

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Sep 4, 2014

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Really Pants posted:

The Zeitgeist themes are generally much stronger than normal themes, and also grant extra information to PCs once in a while.

What sort of heretical ideas did you have in mind? Would they draw your character to non-Clericist philosophies(Eschatologist, Skyseer, Vekeshi Mystic) or other things considered new and dangerous by the heirarchy(Gunsmith, Technologist)? Or maybe they come from inborn abilities that the Clergy would deem heretical(Spirit Medium)?

Er...none of the above. I'm sorta guessing that, given none of the themes are really appropriate for someone related to the Clergy by any means, they're meant to be bad guys (or not really a main focus). I guess I could go Docker and say her brand of theology is popular with the blue collar workers and sorta push away from the "musician" angle. Also, another question - rituals. Are they played out just the same and does the AP really have enough opportunities for them?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

A street preacher would totally work as a Docker. I'll look into alternate rules for rituals.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Cha Ravah

There is divinity within us all. All mortalkin, be they mighty or humble, born high or low, hold the potential for a greatness that would shake the heavens themselves. There is no person too far gone or too far seeped in inequities that they cannot turn and become a force godly. The spark that fuels our life gives equal strength to our conviction, and in our struggles we forge ourselves until as steel we emerge anew as something stronger. Thus spoke Triegenes, the First, the Living Divine.

I did not always heed these words. In the great war so many lifetimes ago I was but a soldier. We were told of heresies. Evils. Devilry. A stain that must be stamped out. A false god that must be brought low. I know now that if there is any heresy, it is the acceptance of such falsehoods! Triegenes, the First, the Living Divine, did not state it was but humans who could become great. He did not chastise other lands of their beliefs, did not wage war against other mortals. It was us in our own foolishness that claimed such would be needed. And what did we do after sullying the great gift given to us by the gods? We abandoned those who needed us most! We fled the retribution caste down on us for our sins and built gilded towers to appease us for our guilt! A man's life is struggle! This is what grants us the gift of divinity, and yet the leaders of our Church live a life of patronage and ease! Our founder gave himself up to bind and vanquish the greatest of demons, and yet my own kin are thrown on the sacrificial block by OTHERS to make theological arguments!

The day I first died - before I became deva - was the same day the heretic William Miller was burned alive for refusing to recant his rebukes against the hypocrites who murdered him. The church meant to cow us into submission. I learned a different lesson - that the leaders of our once great religion had become no different then the foulness Triegenes, the First, the Living Divine, had given himself up to defeat. And that if I tried to hide, I would be found and brought to my death, just the same as if I allowed an angel to posses me to allow some deacon to win an argument. No, the answer is not to hide - it is to find a shield. And so, I fled. I who had killed and died in service to my homeland ran, so that I would not be caste down by those who have never lifted a finger to aid our faith! I fled for Risur, for the church wouldn't dare strike against such a large nation for the "sins" of a single priest. Risur for their part needed healers in their war and was not picky for where they came. I was more then happy to accept.

That...that was many lifetimes ago. Since then I have grown all the more loyal to this country. It is not mine by birth, but it is by spirit. These people welcome all manner of dialogue and speech. Here in the city of Flint I have found many like-minded parishioners, and even more open minded philosophers and artists. They need me. They need my words and my visions, to teach them, to help them understand. My church may have fallen but my faith as not, and if our "leaders" will not guide the populace to good then I will do it myself. They will heed me. They will follow me.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Recruiting will be closed on Monday.

Make sure to get portraits or backgrounds if you don't already have them.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Some very tentative houserules for rituals:

If the ritual doesn't create an item, you may cast it for free. If the ritual normally requires a focus, having this focus lets you roll twice for relevant skill checks and use the higher roll. During extended rests, you may also pay the regular casting cost to prepare a single ritual scroll. This scroll lasts until it is used as a standard action to complete the ritual.

Sound good?

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Sep 7, 2014

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Will I need to find some way to reload in the middle of a Ranger's Twin Strike attack or some other power than gives more than one attack? Or is that just gonna be handwaved away?

Edit: Nevermind, I just found the part of the rules explaining this. For anyone else wondering, you can't use stuff like twin strike without using two guns or having an ammo clip.

Flame112 fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 7, 2014

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Really Pants posted:

Some very tentative houserules for rituals:

If the ritual doesn't create an item, you may cast it for free. If the ritual normally requires a focus, having this focus lets you roll twice for relevant skill checks and use the higher roll. During extended rests, you may also pay the regular casting cost to prepare a single ritual scroll. This scroll lasts until it is used as a standard action to complete the ritual.

Sound good?

Yep, sounds good!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Flame112 posted:

Will I need to find some way to reload in the middle of a Ranger's Twin Strike attack or some other power than gives more than one attack? Or is that just gonna be handwaved away?

Edit: Nevermind, I just found the part of the rules explaining this. For anyone else wondering, you can't use stuff like twin strike without using two guns or having an ammo clip.

If you can get reloading down to a minor action, it'll work like it does for crossbows where you can use the whole power before you have to reload.

Korhal
Aug 9, 2007
Chaos and evolution, baby.
What time on Monday will recruitment be closed? I ended up having a family emergency over the weekend that I just got back home from and I'm about to go to sleep for work tomorrow. Going to try and finish off my bio tomorrow during down time at work.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Anything that's already posted can be completed tomorrow.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Cole, Ex-Big Game Hunter (Drow Seeker|Ranger)
Gunsmith theme.

It's technically still Sunday where I'm from! Backstory to come tonight but I wanted to get the character sheet up now. I'm probably gonna reflavor him as a human rather than a drow, assuming that's all right.
OK, backstory is finally up.

Cole grew up with his father in the outskirts of Bole, where his father severed as the Head Groundskeeper for the governor of the city. Cole practically grew up in the city's vast, forested gardens, surrounded by wildlife and nature. Cole's father, Weller, frequently took him along on hunting trips, bringing back meat and rare herbs for the Governor's feasts. Cole discovered a passion for hunting, although not in the way his father hoped. Weller hoped to instill and a respect for nature in his son, but Cole found the he only cared about the sport of it. He loved the thrill of finding the tracks of an animal, hunting it down, and of course, the kill. Weller desperately tried to get his son to change his ways, but their relationship only grew more and more strained. Finally, at the age of 16, Cole decided that he had enough of his father's constant nagging and whining, and set out on his own.

For several years, Cole wandered the continent, living off the land and seeking larger and increasingly exotic creatures to hunt. In Drakr, Cole became an experience gunsmith. Unsatisfied with a crossbow, he found the shotgun to be a much more reliable killing tool, especially for the tough and dangerous beasts that he usually ended up hunting. Eventually, he organized an expedition to Ber, to hunt one of the deadliest creatures in the world: the tyrannosaurus. Cole's hunt went disastrously. The expedition easily managed to find a tyrannosaurus, but they proved to be completely unprepared for the fight that followed. None of the hunters' weapons could even damage the beast's thick hide. The tyrannosaurus went on a rampage, swallowing several hunters whole and crushing more beneath its feet. Cole barely managed to escape, alone. Grievously wounded, he made his way back to Risur, staying in a border village while he recovered.

After the terrible experience of the tyrannosaurus expedition, Cole resolved to give up hunting. At least, for a while. With his skill with guns and gunsmithing, his extensive expertise at surviving in the wilds, and his first-hand experience living among many of Risur's neighbors and rivals, it was easy for Cole to find work with the Royal Homeland Constabulary. He enjoys the work: tracking criminals and spies across the nation satisfies the same thrills as tracking dangerous beasts through the jungle. But the expedition to Ber is never far from Cole's mind, and he vows to one day return to Ber and finish the hunt that he started.

Drow stuff reflavored as human stuff. Darkfire is just him throwing some itching powder or some bolas at the bad guys, or something. Crossbow Expertise is naturally a stand-in for firearms expertise, of course. Any sorta 'spiritual' seeker stuff is reflavored to be more mundane tools. Biting Swarm could just be shrapnel damaging them and breaking their concentration, or something. Also, I have no idea where I'm going to lie along the Striker<-->Controller spectrum with this hybrid class. I've never made a hybrid before, but I have high hopes.

Flame112 fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 8, 2014

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'll be going to bed soon, so I hope this has been time enough. First and foremost let me say thanks to everyone who showed interest and applied, and sorry to everyone I didn't pick. It's not because your character was bad! It is because you are bad

If this wasn't my first PBP ever, I'd consider making two threads for two parties. Here are my picks for this game:

Unit 9, played by potatocubed
Bran Owain, played by Lord of Bore
F.R.E.D., played by Gharbad the Weak
Cha Ravah, played by ProfessorCirno
Hawthorn, played by Ryuujin
Cryss Portman, played by frankenfreak

I will post the OP just as soon as everyone has lost interest and forgotten about it. In the meantime, please fill in some combat blocks:

pre:
(Character Name with Orokos link)
HP(Temps):   XX/XX(--)    AC:      XX    P.Insight:      X
Surges(Value):   XX/XX    Fort:    XX    P.Perception:   X
Initiative:         +X    Reflex:  XX    Action Point:   X
Speed:               X    Will:    XX    Vision:   xxxxxxx

At-Wills            Encounters              Dailies
x                   [ ] x                   [ ] x
x                   [ ] x                   [ ] x
                    [ ] x

Current Status:
(This space will be for tracking End-of-Turn, Save Ends, and other temporary effects)

Conditional Modifiers:
(This space is for reminders of anything you have that's always available, but has
specific triggers or requirements)

and also post a few lines about your character's first impressions of his/her/its teammates.

Harthacnut
Jul 29, 2014

:woop: Thanks for the invite

pre:
Bran Owain
HP(Temps):   25/25(--)    AC:      16    P.Insight:      14
Surges(Value):  7/7(6)    Fort:    13    P.Perception:   23
Initiative:        +4*    Reflex:  16    Action Point:   1
Speed:               7    Will:    15    Vision:   Low-light

At-Wills                   Encounters                Dailies
Aimed Shot                 [ ] Second Wind           [ ] Inevitable Shot
Clever Shot                [ ] Man w/ 2 Guns is God  
Rapid Shot                 [ ] Disruptive Shot       
Aspect of Seeking Falcon   [ ] Biting Swarm
Aspect of Dancing Serpent

Current Status:
-

Conditional Modifiers:
*Roll perception (+13) instead of initiative, allies with lower score gain +2 racial
Can roll stealth on initiative if I have concealment/cover
When rolling stealth, allies within 10 gain +2 on their next stealth check before end of my next turn

Unit 9 - An intriguing specimen, I didn't know any of the old automatons had survived this long. Possesses a strong sense of duty and righteousness, which is admirable.
F.R.E.D. - Another living machine, though a lot 'younger' than the other, and with a stronger connection to the arcane it seems. Despite my own interests in the mechanical, I know very little about what makes these two tick, so to speak.
Cha Ravah - I'm at a loss with this one. Her devotion to her faith is inspiring, but our differing beliefs may cause some issues. Perhaps it would be best if I not bring it up too much around her.
Hawthorn - I am no stranger to the fey, we would sometimes hear the riding of the Great Hunt back home, but to actually see one here of all places is surprising. He is not what I expected from the stories, but I suppose they may have only been tales.
Cryss Portman - She bears the hallmarks of elvish ancestry, faint though they may be, but her dual heritage seems to have left her stronger. From what I remember she possesses a connection to the spirit world, and though it is unlike those of my ancestors, it may prove useful.

Harthacnut fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 9, 2014

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Don't forget your Aspects.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Cha Ravah

Unit 9 - An oddity, this machine. I fought some, once, long, long ago, though we did not know they had the capacity for intelligence - not that it mattered, I am sure our generals would twist such and claim it another heresy for us to eliminate. It stakes it's heart to justice, missing that life is not one single experience but a multitude of understandings that forge us to ascension. Perhaps it can learn more if it would attend one of my sermons.
Bran Owain - A follower of the old ways. I am a woman of cities and men; he is a man of woods and animals. We do not share much in common.
F.R.E.D. - Another machine. I am presented with a theological question: can artificial creations have a soul? While the strict word of law is silent on such matters the spirit of Triegenes, the First, the Living Divine, lays it bare - ALL mortal beings may ascend. Does the machine then constitute as mortal? If we the deathless Deva can, then surely a thinking machine can as well.
Hawthorn - One of the fae. Uncharacteristic of his cousins. The RHC ensures everyone's loyalty, but I nonetheless have my doubts.
Cryss Portman - An icon for the faith, even if she herself does not believe. Is it not said all may advance up the great chain be they king or beggar? Her struggles have made her stronger, and have infused in her a steadfast strength that proves the words of Triegenes, the First, the Living Divine.

pre:

HP: 24/24		AC:   18		Passive Insight: 19
Surges: 7/7 (V: 6)	Fort: 13		Passive Perception: 14
Initiative: +0		Ref:  15		Resists: Necrotic 5, Radiant 5
Speed: 6		Will: 16			Action Points: 1

At Will			Encounter			Dailies
Magic Weapon		[ ] Second Wind			[ ] Punishing Eye
Sacred Flame		[ ] Docker's Jank
			[ ] Memory of 1k Lifetimes
			[ ] Healing Word
			[ ] Healing Infusion
      			[ ] Spike Wire

Conditionals:

Astral Majesty: +1 to defenses against bloodied creatures
Immortal Origin: Considered an immortal being of the Astral
Battle Cleric's Lore: Targets of Healing Word also gain +2 attack until the end of my next turn

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
pre:
Hawthorn
HP(Temps):   24/24(--)    AC:      16    P.Insight:      16
Surges(Value):  7/7(6)    Fort:    12    P.Perception:   18
Initiative:         +4    Reflex:  15    Action Point:   1/1
Speed:        4, 6 fly    Will:    17    Vision:   Low-light

Eldritch Strike     [ ] Assassin's Strike   [ ] Fortune's Reversal
                    [ ] Pixie Dust          
                    [ ] Second Wind
                    [ ] Hands of Retribution

Current Status:
-

Conditional Modifiers:
-5 penalty to strength checks to break or force open objects
+1 bonus to damage against bloodied targets

Unit 9 another sentient machine. This one seems far older, and far more focused on justice than the other. Sadly it seems to have even less of a name than the other one. Not really sure how to react to these magical automatons, but so long as they have my back I will have theirs.
Bran Owain seems restless and unsure of their place in the world. Not that I am one to talk. He also seems to be the most skilled with nature, even more so than myself. Which is a bit shameful, but then again I didn't exactly get along all that well with my kind.
F.R.E.D. a construct of stone and magic, of fire and power. An intelligent construct that seems to have free will, and that seems to tap into some of the same energies I have dabbled in. Interesting.
Cha Ravah a strangely divine being. A bit pretentious perhaps, but undoubtedly a good person to have on your side. Seems to look at me with some suspicion, not surprising really as I am one of the fae and my kind is not well known for loyalty.
Cryss Portman a more natural being, though with still a touch of the divine, and the magical. She has some fae blood in her, though not a lot and most perhaps would not notice it. She seems dead set on proving her worth, of setting an example. I would like to see where her path takes her.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Frankenfreak - pop into IRC sometime, Synirc to be specific, either #badwrongfun or #redhandofdoom to talk shop. I was glancing through your sheet and there's a few things you chose that, uh, don't...don't do anything.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
pre:
Unit 9
HP(Temps):     30/30(--)    AC:      17    P.Insight:      12
Surges(Value):  11/11(7)    Fort:    17    P.Perception:   12
Initiative:           +0    Reflex:  12    Action Point:    1
Speed:                 5    Will:    14    Vision:     Normal

Combat Challenge    [ ] Covering Attack     [ ] Comeback Strike
Reaping Strike      [ ] Warforged Resolve
Threatening Rush    [ ] Experimental Strike

Current Status:
--

Conditional Modifiers:
+2 to saves vs ongoing damage.
Reroll a single 1 on axe damage rolls.
Bran Owain: He is a hunter of men and a member of the RHC, and thus serves a purpose in the machinery of justice even if he does not consider himself to do so.

F.R.E.D.: Fascinating. I had thought the art of creating artificial beings lost, but here is evidence to the contrary - intelligent and self-modifying, as I am myself. Does he feel the call of justice as I do? Or is there something else about the RHC which attracts the created?

Cha Ravah: When I was created, she would have been my enemy despite our shared belief in the rightness of certain moral propositions. Now we are aligned and it is our differences that are most pronounced. The religious framework for her moral thought seems unnecessary to me - but then again, so does breathing.

Hawthorn: He is courageous, to be certain, but his violence does not serve a greater cause. I submit that he would be happier if he found a constructive path to follow. Perhaps the RHC will provide this.

Cryss Portman: She does not have a machine's singularity of purpose to keep her focused amid the circumstances of life, yet has both found and remained true to the call of justice. Such dedication is admirable.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

ProfessorCirno posted:

Frankenfreak - pop into IRC sometime, Synirc to be specific, either #badwrongfun or #redhandofdoom to talk shop. I was glancing through your sheet and there's a few things you chose that, uh, don't...don't do anything.
You're talking about all the stuff using my Con mod of 0, right? Yeah, that's not good. Shouldn't have tried to squeeze out a 20 Charisma at the end without thinking about the consequences. :downs: Easily fixed by dropping it back to 18. Anything else I missed?

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
pre:
F.R.E.D.
HP(Temps):   31/31(--)    AC:      19    P.Insight:      11
Surges(Value):11/11(7)    Fort:    15    P.Perception:   11
Initiative:         +0    Reflex:  15    Action Point:   1
Speed:               6    Will:    15    Vision:   Normal

Sword Burst         [ ] Warforged Resolve   [ ] Armor of Agathys
Eldritch Strike     [ ] Clarion Call              
                    [ ] Aegis of Shielding
                    [ ] Hands of Retrib.
Current Status:
--

Conditional Modifiers:
+2 to saves vs ongoing damage.
-5 to attack friendlies in bursts/blasts

Cha Ravah:
Deva: noted as highly religious. Seems a bit... not arrogant, what's the word... well, sure of herself, to say the least. Seems to know about practical applications of magic. Perhaps I could convince her to help with the I.C.E.? Note to self: do not make fun of religion around her.

Hawthorn:
Pixie: noted as capricious and unpredictable. Is he wearing a trench-coat? Anyway, he seems a bit dour. It could be some kind of be-grumpy game, but I seriously doubt it. Still, a connection to the Unseen! I would almost think my Eladrin comrades put him here on purpose. A home away from home.

Cryss Portman:
Human: noted as adaptable and unpredictable, but in a "good" way. She's from the city guard, so I expect she'll be upfront and honest! Seems reasonably social; I should probably think of her reactions to people as appropriate to our position.

Unit 9:
Doesn't appear to be a strictly academic build, but perhaps a philosopher? Doesn't seem as... intelligent as the creations I am used to, though this is my first encounter with my kind, outside my old residence. Perhaps he is simply studying the simpler aspects of language? It is best not to judge, for our kind is certainly clever. His single-mindedness is odd, but perhaps his philosophical curiosity is simply fascinated by concepts of justice? I will continue to monitor. What conclusions he must come to!

Bran Owain:
Elf: Noted as flighty and haughty. My creator certainly held a low opinion of them. Warranted? His "gun", as it is, is an interesting creation, but I don't see it overtaking the sword. Still, dedicated ranged specialists might find such a thing useful, though it certainly throws stealth to the wind. Not that I'm very stealthy myself, mind you! Still, this person may be a forward thinker, for adapting to such technology. Perhaps his mechanical expertise could be helpful with the I.C.E.?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

frankenfreak posted:

You're talking about all the stuff using my Con mod of 0, right? Yeah, that's not good. Shouldn't have tried to squeeze out a 20 Charisma at the end without thinking about the consequences. :downs: Easily fixed by dropping it back to 18. Anything else I missed?

Your longsword isn't an implement for Cutting Words, you need either a specific magic weapon, arcane implement feat, or multiclass into swordmage

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

ProfessorCirno posted:

Your longsword isn't an implement for Cutting Words, you need either a specific magic weapon, arcane implement feat, or multiclass into swordmage
It isn't but, since the Compendium explcitly says "You can use implement powers without an implement,[...]" I can go without wielding a proper implement (e: and the +1 expertise bonus for bard implement powers) until I get my hands on a songblade.

frankenfreak fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 9, 2014

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Please post your combat block.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Unit 9: A kindred spirit (if you can call a machine that - can you?) in its pursuit of justice. I just hope it knows to temper justice with mercy.
F.R.E.D.: He still has to learn (relearn?) a lot of things. I must make sure he learns the right lessons.
Hawthorn: His appearance is deceptive. His skills certainly don't match it and I wonder where he learned all that.
Cha Ravah: Old, very old. And very experienced, of course. I'm not the one for religious stuff, but if you peel that away, a lot of his words still ring true.
Bran Owain: I'm surprised to see Bran here. I didn't know much more than "elf with a thing for guns" about him when we both were on the city watch, so I'm not sure what he adds to the team yet.

pre:
Cryss Portman
HP(Temps):   30/30/(--)    AC:      17    P.Insight:     16
Surges(Value):   9/9(7)    Fort:    14    P.Perception:  16
Initiative:          -1   Reflex:   13    Action Point:   1
Speed:                5    Will:    15    Vision:    normal

At-Wills                 Encounters             Dailies
Energizing Strike (na)   [ ] Ardent Surge       [ ] Stirring Shout
Focusing Strike          [ ] Majestic Word      [ ] Speak with Spirit
Cutting Words            [ ] Shout of Triumph 
                         [ ] Unfinished Business 

Current Status:
---

Conditionals and Passives:
Each ally within 5 squares of me and I gain a +2 (=Con) bonus to damage rolls for opportunity attacks
Each ally within 5 squares of me gains a +2 bonus to Diplomacy and Intimidate checks
When an ally I can see spends and AP to take an extra action, they can shift 1 before or after
Once per round, when any ally within 5 squares of me bloodies or drops an enemy to 0, I can grant 3 (1+Con) THP to them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Alright. Working on the OP now, hopefully to post tonight or tomorrow.

One last note: each character has an RHC badge, stamped via Arcane Mark and enchanted so that it briefly shines when its proper owner is wearing it and utters the RHC motto, "Numquam Auxilia Denegat"--"Never Found Wanting" in the ancient tongue. If you identify yourselves as Royal Constables, worthy citizens of Risur will be more willing to cooperate with you. Ne'er-do-wells and people with a guilty conscience, on the other hand, might become tight-lipped, mistrustful, or even hostile.

• Locked thread