Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

TSN posted:

TORONTO - Tim Leiweke says a comment he made about players within the Toronto Maple Leafs organization having "terrible" character was not aimed at a specific player.

Speaking to students at Ryerson University, the outgoing president and CEO of Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment said when addressing analytics in hockey that "there are players we have in our organization today whose numbers are off the chart good and whose character is just terrible."

In an email response to The Canadian Press, Leiweke attempted to clarify what he meant.

"It was a general response that was intended to say that analytics are only as good as also making sure a player has character," Leiweke wrote. "I find it amusing anyone can assume I was talking about a specific Leaf player."

Ha, ha ha. You fools. I find it amusing that you think I was talking about a specific Leaf player when I said that there are players in our organization whose character is just terrible. I obviously meant non-specific general persons in our organization.

This is a serious businessman paid millions to run a billion-dollar organization, in case you were wondering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
so not a specific Leaf but all of them

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I can't imagine what it would be like to have a Leafs management that wasn't just full of awful fuckheads. C'mon Shanny, Kyle, and Cam. Help a brother out.

In other news Dave Nonis says on TSN Radio that Phaneuf's gonna start the year at LD. This worked out horribly during The Mike Kostka Experiment but on the other hand that also involved Mike Kostka on the top pairing so we'll see.

Also he actually mentioned that Phaneuf starts in his own end way too often, and that other players will need to "step up" to fill those minutes. Alternatively, he could fire the idiot coach that buries his two-way players on defensive assignments while filling up the roster with useless punchers that he then needs to shelter! Think about it Dave!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Koopa Kid posted:

I can't imagine what it would be like to have a Leafs management that wasn't just full of awful fuckheads. C'mon Shanny, Kyle, and Cam. Help a brother out.

In other news Dave Nonis says on TSN Radio that Phaneuf's gonna start the year at LD. This worked out horribly during The Mike Kostka Experiment but on the other hand that also involved Mike Kostka on the top pairing so we'll see.

Also he actually mentioned that Phaneuf starts in his own end way too often, and that other players will need to "step up" to fill those minutes. Alternatively, he could fire the idiot coach that buries his two-way players on defensive assignments while filling up the roster with useless punchers that he then needs to shelter! Think about it Dave!

Baby steps man, baby steps.

Actually, "not taking gigantic leaps backwards at every conceivable opportunity" would be considered progress for the Leafs.

Also - I need a mod ruling - technically hockey is being played now (rookie tournament). Can I get rid of this horrific avatar yet?

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
Never get rid of that avatar.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

grack posted:

Also - I need a mod ruling - technically hockey is being played now (rookie tournament). Can I get rid of this horrific avatar yet?

Do whatever you feel like is within the spirit of the rules.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

So we still posting about 30 Thoughts or does everyone just know to read it? It's on Sportsnet now, which is awful:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-new-nhl-rules-and-summer-news/

Also, good news Oil fans! Taylor Hall worked on stops and starts this summer so that he won't be circling lazily while on defense.

Urgh Friedman on SN instead of CBC. I'm pleasantly surprised the Habs managed to avoid a Captain Prust debacle.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Hand Knit posted:

Do whatever you feel like is within the spirit of the rules.

Okay, FCP is gone once training camp starts on Thursday, then.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
A couple of choice quotes from an interview Nail did on his summer

quote:

- Will you keep living in the same flat as before?

– No, I found a new one. And it won’t be a flat, but a house. It’s a bit of a strange situation. The house is owned by [Boston Bruins defenseman] Johnny Boychuk. I got to know him not long ago, during the Perry Pern tournament. I played with him and after one of the games we chatted a bit in the locker room, when I told him that I couldn’t find a place in Edmonton. So he told me that he has a nice house in the downtown, but couldn’t find someone to rent it to. After the tournament I went there, I liked it and we shook hands.

quote:

Did you start driving a car?

– Yes! It was about time to be the only NHL player brought to the practice by his parents! Right after a practice or a game I had to call my parents and ask them to get me home. And the whole locker room would make fun of me.

quote:

Since July, another Nizhnekamsk native is preparing to the new season in Edmonton: Bogdan Yakimov. Did you spend some time with him?

– We see each other every day, we practice together. If he has any problem, I’m always helping him. By the way, the team took the right decision limiting the time he can spend with me: this way he won’t speak Russian all the time and will be forced to speak English, and this will help him a lot at this point of his career. Not long ago we went to a Katy Perry concert.

Yakupov still owns

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yakupov's going to have to move when Boston trades Boychuk there.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Pensive PK has grown on me and I'm not changing my avatar now, although I will remain a committed Bruins fan.

Can of Cloud
May 20, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Yakupov's going to have to move when Boston trades Boychuk there.

I can't see that kid fitting in well under Julien's system.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Pensive PK has grown on me and I'm not changing my avatar now, although I will remain a committed Bruins fan.

This is a Good Decision and I commend you for it.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Diet Crack posted:

Apparently they're doing 4 episodes for the Winter Classic (Hawks/Caps) then another 4 eps after that for the Kings/Sharks outdoor game.

As long as it's uncensored and they allow full access I can handle losing some production to be able to see 4 episodes for the Kings/Sharks :woop:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

No, sorry. You're expelled.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Good call, Jamwad.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Of all of the dumb words I have said that have made it places your title is far and away my favorite.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

I don't know what is worse, that Yak had to call mommy for a ride after each practice or that he (was proud to?) go to a Katy Perry concert?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

tofes posted:

I'm on a trip with my dog, there is a blog: http://t.co/AcPmnI4S8p. I'm going to be up in the northwest first before heading east to Chicago, Detroit, Montreal, NY etc. Then south to the Carolinas and then back west, maybe via Denver depending on the weather. It's a loose schefule so let me know if you want to grab a beer at some point, I'm flexible

@danleecook

If you stop in Buffalo, hit me up.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

darkwolf220 posted:

I don't know what is worse, that Yak had to call mommy for a ride after each practice or that he (was proud to?) go to a Katy Perry concert?

He's 20. Of course he went to a Katy Perry concert.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Katy Perry is cool

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I think its ok for the 20-year-old kid with lots of money to go have fun at a pop concert

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Wayne Gretzky posted:

Katy Perry is cool

And hot.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I think its ok for the 20-year-old kid with lots of money to go have fun at a pop concert

this is wrong and it's the real reason he's a bust

(it is not wrong but i'd still love to see nail traded for peanuts)

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
um actually Katy Perry's music empowers young people so he's probably going to be better than ever

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Pfft, she's like.. 30.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

i'd be pretty happy if "light em mup mup mup mup" was replaced by "you're gonna hear me roar oar oar oar oar oar oar". just sayin

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

eXXon posted:

lol

The Wild had a +1 goal differential last season. It's basically the same team with Vanek and without 20 games of Moulson/whatever you call what Heatley was doing. Sure, they'll probably make the playoffs, but wreck teams? Maybe if Harding plays out of his mind/body for 60 games, or Backstrom's surgically repaired robohip doesn't fall apart within a week.

ThinkTank posted:

Suspect goaltending, a thin defence after Suter who is probably relied on too heavily and little depth in the bottom six? They'll make the playoffs, but I don't think many people consider them a serious contender.

Minnesota has had a relatively speaking young defense. They're getting better and they showed they can be pretty drat good in the playoffs. They have a team composition that is now a good mix of veterans, guys on the up and up, and a few younger guys as well all battling for roster spots. The goal differential thing is a bit of a red herring if you ask me. They struggled through stretches and then played better. They've got a full year under them as a pretty unified/comfortable team. Their bottom six is questionable but I genuinely believe that they are getting better and showed a lot of what they're capable of in the playoffs last year. A guy like Haula, or Nino Niederreiter could be a huge asset this year.

Basically, I'm in a wait and see but optimistic viewpoint. Given that there were plenty of people on the boards here last year before the season that were sure that Minnesota had no chance of making the playoffs I'll just say, whatever!

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

gently caress Katy Perry

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Ceyton posted:

gently caress Katy Perry

If you insist...

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

i'd be pretty happy if "light em mup mup mup mup" was replaced by "you're gonna hear me roar oar oar oar oar oar oar". just sayin

i will gouge my ears out

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Nail Yakupov is loving awesome and I hope that he succeeds in the NHL.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Ceyton posted:

gently caress Katy Perry

I would have sex with both Katy Perry, and Corey Perry.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Austrian mook posted:

I would have sex with both Katy Perry, and Corey Perry.

Watching from the closet doesn't count.

I just got back from Chicago RiotFest and was surprised at the amount of hockey jerseys I saw. Not just Blackhawks stuff, either. Definitely saw a lot of different gear from a lot of different teams. Made me pretty happy.

E: vvv For the record I am a poor who is hesitant to shell out for a new av for myself, let alone for you.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 16, 2014

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Thank you, for the avatar. I was wondering how long I'd go before you'd buy me another one. I like it a lot. :cheers:

E: Someone has spent almost 50 dollars on me now lmao

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Austrian mook posted:

Thank you, for the avatar. I was wondering how long I'd go before you'd buy me another one. I like it a lot. :cheers:

E: Someone has spent almost 50 dollars on me now lmao

I think as long as it's less than you've spent on you they still come out a bit ahead.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Aphrodite posted:

I think as long as it's less than you've spent on you they still come out a bit ahead.

I've only been banned 3 times I think so I'm still winning.

E: I checked, I can confirm it was 3 times.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Austrian mook posted:

I've only been banned 3 times I think so I'm still winning.

E: I checked, I can confirm it was 3 times.

You had to pay $10 the first time too, and you've bought yourself at least a couple of avatars.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Aphrodite posted:

I guess they can do a home/away set but then they're only using 2 of 3 so it's still dumb.

Also the A actually stands for Alternate, not Assistant. Yes, I know I said it too.

Columbus had something like Johnson/Umberger/Wisniewski and Dorsett/Prospal/Aucoin as two "units" of A's at the start of 2013, post-Nash.

poser posted:

Semyon Varlamov wearing Putin t-shirt that says "Crimea is ours"

https://twitter.com/gabrielletf/status/511439102143922176

I may have to Toxx the buying of a shirzee of the first player to blatantly run him this season between the wife beating and this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Aphrodite posted:

You had to pay $10 the first time too, and you've bought yourself at least a couple of avatars.

No actually, I never have.

• Locked thread