Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

symuun posted:

Just ye look at the tales o' Kafit Rootwaxed. Dwarf after dwarf struck down by a horror from before the start o' time. That's our legend here in The Virtuous Swamp. Death an' despair an' monsters what win every time. Is that the type o' legend we want?
Kafit Rootwaxed the Lustful Rawnesses of Nature the marsh titan.

Is it actually possible to encounter that as an enemy or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Alavaria posted:

Kafit Rootwaxed the Lustful Rawnesses of Nature the marsh titan.

Is it actually possible to encounter that as an enemy or something?

Yes, if it hasn't already been killed by something/someone.

Wordbird Raven
Sep 7, 2011

I'm not what you would call an artist.
Oh, Kafit's still very much out there, and he's roaming our swamp in particular. I think it's safe to assume he'll be coming for us at some point. We just don't know when, or how bad it will be when he gets here.

Best of luck, Veloxyll! :D

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Hubriswall - On the fortress Fogwall and the Overseership of Veloxyll

1st Granite, 552

By now you have read of the failure of the defense at Fogwall, and the desperation that lead to dwarves and cage traps being thrown at the goblin intruders. But what happened after Overseer symuun stepped down from leadership during the siege?

Records show that the next Overseer of the Fortress was a dwarf named Veloxyll, but records show they were not present in the fortress when the siege took place. Nevertheless, orders were issued, perhaps via the same secret ways that a Baron knows of his enoblement despite not being told. Who can say.

Regardless, at the start of Granite, the fortress was being besieged by two goblins, both who stood firm in the cage hall amidst the ichor and corpses of many dwarves. Their fellow assailants rattled their cages, but the goblins stood immobile, unwilling to budge, perhaps out of fear of setting off more traps and becoming caged themselves.
Or perhaps because goblins are arseholes.

How can two goblins besiege a fortress, you ask? Well, the military of Fogwall was a sorry sight. A hospitalised baron, and a lone recruit who quickly found himself Militia Commander.

Though it is a civilian, Tresdim, who strikes the next 'blow' for the fortress. Running towards the goblins, taunting them, then running back over the cunningly placed traps, babe in arms, she causes another of the besiegers to lose their freedom. One goblin remains.

Was it bravery, or madness? Vander felt dirty, and decided that the path to cleanliness was held in the last goblin's possession. Or perhaps simply wished to clean the fortress of the Goblin Filth.
That, or she succumbed to the taunting of one of the Fort's young:

Jon Joe posted:

If only I was an adult, I could have killed all those goblins with my bare hands!

Ah who am I kidding, I would have died horribly. Long live the young!

As you might expect, when an unequipped rookie faces off against a well equipped invader, there is only one outcome.

scamtank tries to bait out the other goblin, but gets too close and pays the price.

The goblin eventually cannot stand to be around the death and cage traps, and leaves.
No grand battle or new dwarven cunning. it gets bored/horrified, and LEAVES OF ITS OWN ACCORD.
Just as our miners approach to cut a path to the next trap. But, nevertheless, the Siege of Fogwall is over.
To be fair, there is a LOT of death to leave behind.

The siege lead symuun to the horrible task of forbidding the corpses of the fallen, and progress is made to bring things back to something resembling normality. (Actually I think DFhack was doing it, but whatevs)

Even after the siege lifts, not everyone can handle the stress...
Or being dead.

Which means it's time for promotions! Congratulations to our new Expedition Leader, Grey Hunter.

For his new promotion, the manager has a discussion with him. Uh. This is awkward.

Oh god, he's asleep too! Something needs to be done.

Apparently being repeatedly hit in the head while asleep is upsetting.

Thankfully, his dwarven sense kicks in before another dwarf dies.

Grey Hunter responds in a natural fashion. This could take a while to sort out. Especially considering there are still crazy dwarfs running around.

To take everyone's mind off it, and give them something to do besides hauling corpses and making coffins, we take some time to designate some new excavations.
Near the workshops and forges, we designate space for stone, ore, and bars cut.

In the upper depths, tunnels are designated to scout out the Tetrahedrite deposits. While I cannot recall the metals it smelts into, even these initial cuts should net the fortress a good 20 ore to be smelted, so we'll know soon enough. (I want to say it's Tin or copper/silver. Maybe Zinc. I could check the wiki, but I'll know next month anyhow.)

Deeper down, we also order some of the Malachite tapped, as well as expanding the So we definitely have copper. Which means armour, weapons, everything can be made from proper metals. It's no iron, but it's better than nothing.

As a last task for the month, the Goblins are removed from the fortress. We don't need their kind reminding us of the siege. They can sit in the sun until it kills them. Or whatever it is that the sun does. Maybe we'll set some hives up near them later and see if the bees can make them puff up like balloons for the enjoyment of visitors.

1 Slate, 552

(OOC: not that worried about a Tantrum spiral. As time passes we'll get the corpses interred and fortress life will return to practically normal. Until the next siege at least. Almost no-one is getting horrified in the traphall any more! Also probably should've waited till morning so I could edit this and stuff (like consistency of voice), but gently caress it! It's late and I'm lazy :p)

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 25, 2014

Wordbird Raven
Sep 7, 2011

Oof. That's a hell of a start. Good work on the goblins - I played through Granite a few times after putting the save up, just to see if I could deal with them, and it invariably ended in the entire fortress getting murdered.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
So did I die, or did I just get horribly maimed?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Vander posted:

So did I die, or did I just get horribly maimed?

You died. I just didn't think till now to include the pink notice.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I was miserable enough after watching all of my friends die. Better off like this.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Hope I'm getting some nice suturing done on Fogwall's finest, and didn't just get killed off-screen by getting my neck broken in a fistfight or something.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
So, about fixing that drawbridge...

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
So uh, are any of the ghosts of the violent/murderous variety? Or perhaps the kind that pull levers and mess around with stuff? Or are they just gonna wander around and whimper until someone buries their earthly remains?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Pierzak posted:

So, about fixing that drawbridge...

Just place a few wall tiles and you have a functional drawbridge which opens to the inside. You don't see those to often Plus you can use it as a catapult to fling the goblin cages away. I mean they are already right there. The wiki says that someone should verify if that empties cages.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 24, 2014

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Fogwall : We are so fogged.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Just kidding I'm wrong!

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 24, 2014

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

ghetto wormhole posted:

The one problem is that building destroyers can kill walls but not drawbridges so a new properly placed drawbridge would make the fortress invulnerable to invaders while just fixing the backwards one with walls will leave it vulnerable if/when a building destroyer comes.

Wait, can building destroyers destroy walls in the new version? They never could before. That's why bridges work. They turn into walls.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Solid Poopsnake posted:

Wait, can building destroyers destroy walls in the new version? They never could before. That's why bridges work. They turn into walls.

Oh my bad you're right, I always thought they could destroy constructed walls! Was it like that in an older version?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

ghetto wormhole posted:

Oh my bad you're right, I always thought they could destroy constructed walls! Was it like that in an older version?

I don't think so... pretty sure they've always stuck to passable objects (doors, grates, etc...) and workshops. Walls and bridges are 100% safe.

Wordbird Raven
Sep 7, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

So uh, are any of the ghosts of the violent/murderous variety? Or perhaps the kind that pull levers and mess around with stuff? Or are they just gonna wander around and whimper until someone buries their earthly remains?

Ghosts can pull levers?

You, uh, you should probably do something about the healthcare superweapon sooner rather than later. I'd do literally anything with it other than maintain the status quo, if I were you.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Dashticle posted:

Hope I'm getting some nice suturing done on Fogwall's finest, and didn't just get killed off-screen by getting my neck broken in a fistfight or something.

I'm pretty sure you got promoted to chief medical dwarf, actually. Since the previous holder decided to hug a goblin. I'm doing a labour pass on the fortress this update, to make sure we have brewers, masons, carpenters etc. Though I may just wait for the migrants, who hopefully didn't get scared off by the 1 goblin siege. There's a lot of hauling to be done regardless, so dwarves are busy anyhow.

Only 2 dead and 1 insane in my first month. A good start!

symuun posted:

Ghosts can pull levers?

You, uh, you should probably do something about the healthcare superweapon sooner rather than later. I'd do literally anything with it other than maintain the status quo, if I were you.

You forget the most important rule of overseeing. Half built death traps are FUN (tm)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

symuun posted:

Ghosts can pull levers?

Nonsense.

And keep my ghost around, too.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)

Suicide Note of DannyGlands, sometime in 552
The humans have managed to avoid any goblin invasion... This war, the War of Targeting, waged by the goblin scourge is too much... the Grandmaster was right... this place was intended for my execution after all.

AC... I'll join you in whatever life is after this one.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

symuun posted:

Ghosts can pull levers?

Haven't seen it happen myself, but supposedly one or two types of the more poltergeisty types of ghost can.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

While I work on the update - can we get the current status of applicant dwarves on the spread sheet? It'd make figuring out who is next on the list easier.

My current estimates show, before the update we have:-

Next Male: Loskel McDungen (Locke Dunnegan)
Next Dwarf: Tyty

HAHA, SUCK IT, POWER ABUSE! I GET THE NEXT DWARF.

Also dang it, while writing this, I changed the font size in the unit list >: (
And maybe the entire aspect ratio. so when I do the next update I'll have to ask if it's just me or if I made it weird. Still quite screencappable though.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

You just zoomed in with the scroll wheel or made the window too tiny.

Wordbird Raven
Sep 7, 2011

Veloxyll posted:

While I work on the update - can we get the current status of applicant dwarves on the spread sheet? It'd make figuring out who is next on the list easier.

My current estimates show, before the update we have:-

Next Male: Loskel McDungen (Locke Dunnegan)
Next Dwarf: Tyty

HAHA, SUCK IT, POWER ABUSE! I GET THE NEXT DWARF.

Also dang it, while writing this, I changed the font size in the unit list >: (
And maybe the entire aspect ratio. so when I do the next update I'll have to ask if it's just me or if I made it weird. Still quite screencappable though.

I think I dwarfed everyone up to and including Trundel; I thought Loskel was in there already but maybe I missed him somehow.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Of Dwarves and Labour

As the fortress recovered, at least its dead, if not its sanity, thoughts turned to what dwarves should focus on for the rest of the season.

Especially since the fallen were in the stage of decay where they stink.

Grey Hunter goes to have a meeting with Tresdin. And by meeting I mean punching her in the stomach. Must be some weird dwarven humour.

Twice.

Several days later, velkest collapses in the hallway of dehydration. An unfulfilled mood is as deadly as any Goblin.

With the slow progress of Dwarven Masons crafting coffins for the fallen, Daeren is put to rest. He haunts the stockpiles no longer.

But it's not all doom and gloom for the fortress. First Neophyte, then atomicthumbs give birth to children.

Neophyte gives birth to the girl, Tyty. A name she blames entirely on the deceased King Cohort.
atomicthumbs gives birth to Loskel McDungen. Another child of another dead warrior.

Tyty

Loskel McDungen.

Our healers make progress treating the wounded, as well. And the Well itself proceeds nicely. Tinkertoy has diagnosed both of them, and assigned treatments for their wounds. Once we have cloth and thread, they should be easily healed.

This should be made much easier as, on the 19th of Slate, a wave of 30 migrants arrives, more than doubling Fogwall's populace. Tropico is now home to over 50 People Dwarves!
The specifics of the arrivals is detailed hence, but the short version is that the following dwarves (presented in no particular order) join the populace. They are:
Veloxyll, Ragnar Lodbrok, Windy Skunk, Idles, Turtlicious McJagger, Jamsque, Potato, Toplough, Dourgrim, OrganGrinder, Anticheese, SilentW, Commoners, Excelzior, Mlle, Rather, Nuramor, sum, Gamer, Boing, Zarah, Fat And Useless, Elswyyr, Aerion, Koushirou, reign, Mister Adequate, Yeol, Splode, Rhames.

With extra hands, walls to make the Hubris bridge an effective defense are ordered.

Baby lunnrais jumps out at tinkerttoy. Though tinkerttoy pretends not to notice.

Thankfully, a new coffin has just been placed, so he won't be haunting us for too long. Last thing the fortress needs is ghosts spooking everyone.

Also, since we have ALL those migrants, we can put together a proper military! 10 dwarves are assigned to the fortress's defense corps. That's half the populace from before we swapped Overseers! Who knows, maybe some day they'll actually be competent.

Speaking of competence, Fogwall has grown enough that it is no longer administrated by an Expedition Leader, but by a mayor. reading gets to be the first elected official, to go with his work as manager, bookkeeper, and broker. As an elected official, his first command is to get a room as good as Baron Le_Squide. Bureaucracy. Bureaucracy never changes.

In other news, the masons haven't QUITE gotten up to enough speed to stop the fallen haunting the fortress yet...Mr Showtime thus gets the next available coffin. Fear not, friends. You will all get a bed before I'm done here.

As we dig deeper, we find another ore worthy of investigation. Even if it will take some tunneling to get to. One of the children is now old enough to work, and is sent to the stills to get the most valuable of all dwarven commodities...Booze! Though some Casserite would be handy to find. Then we'd have Bisimuth Bronze at our command, ah, a dwarf can dream.

Speaking of booze, checking on the hospital, I see our patients are up and about. As evidence of their hale state, they make a bee line straight for the drink stores. A sensible choice if ever there was one.

Just before summer arrives, we get a mix of news, good and bad. DannyGlands leaves the fortress, but a new boy, More Grim, joins it.

Grey Hunter, now freed from the duties of Expedition Leader, feels this is cause for celebration.

As a last note, I accidentally test the fortress wall. By forgetting to lower the drawbridge so that Dwarves can complete the fortifications. Thankfully it's easily fixed.

ninjewtsu celebrates by giving birth. AfroSquirrel joins our ranks.

And with that, Summer is upon us.

Administration:
Oh god, so many names and labours to assign! At least I'm caught up on the spreadsheet so the next migrant wave won't be so grueling.

scamtank posted:

You just zoomed in with the scroll wheel or made the window too tiny.

Ta. thankfully it only really affects the Migrant post that will be after this one.

New dwarfs:
Tyty - Baby Girl
Loskel McDungen - Baby Boy
More Grim - Baby Boy
Afrosquirrel - Baby Boy

Migrants:
Veloxyll
Ragnar Lodbrok
Windy Skunk
Idles
Turtlicious McJagger
Jamsque
Potato
Toplough
Dourgrim
OrganGrinder
Anticheese
SilentW
Commoners
Excelzior
Mlle
Rather
Nuramor
sum
Gamer
Boing
Zarah
Fat And Useless
Elswyyr
Aerion
Koushirou
reign
Mister Adequate
Yeol
Splode
Rhames

next Male Adult: ghetto wormhole
Next Dwarf: Five

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Sep 26, 2014

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

The First Grand Migration
25-55 dwarves in one go. That is a lot of dwarves to induct!

In the spring of 552, the following dwarves joined Fogwall.

sum, Fisherdwarf and Beekeeper. Married to:

SilentW, Medical Dwarf. Parents of:

Rather, Child, and:

Gamer. Peasant and wife to:

Myself, Veloxyll. Woodcutter, Bonecarver, and, of course, Overseer. We ourselves are parents to:

reign, and the deceased Elth, who died protecting Fogwall.

Aerion, Engraver, herbalist, brewer.

Splode. Spinner.

Excelzior. Weaver and mechanic. Husband to:

Elswyyr, Military dwarf. Parents of:

Nuramor. Child.

Turtilicious McJagger. Woodcutter.

Jamsque. Son of Mr Showtime (deceased) and Dashticle. Mason.

Potato. Hunter, Husband of:

Zarah. Military dwarf.

Ragnar Lodbrok, Military dwarf (viking).

Commoners. Military dwarf. Husband of:

Yeol. Military dwarf. Parents to:

Rhames. Child, and:

Mlle. Military Dwarf. Wife of:

Toplough. Farmer and cook.

Boing. Medical Dwarf. Wife of:

Windy Skunk. Cook, brewer, dyer. Parents of:

Mister Adequate. Child. And:

Koushirou. Baby.

Fat and Useless. Military Dwarf. Wife to:

Idles. Blacksmith.

Dourgrim. Military Dwarf. Mother of:

Anticheese. Child.

OrganGrinder. Fisherdwarf and Furnace Operator.

What a lot of new additions we have.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Miscellaneous observations of More Grim, dwarven baby

Gooo. Gaah goo EFELANT. WANT EFELANT.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Journal of Ragnar Lodbrok, mighty viking.

Zounds! The blood, the grime, the ruination. A grand battle for the ages and I missed it! Oh, well. There'll be more war soon enough. Back in the old days, we would have already launched a punitive expedition upon a mighty longboat we would have! Except that nobody in the world can build boats anymore, not after the... thingy. Anyway, this new fortress is a gore-hole, but with jolly co-operation, long toil and strong leadership I've no doubts it'll be a shining jewel to the world! It may be our only hope...

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Am I still alive? Not much of us original seven left, right? Farmin' away, probably. I'll do a journal if so, I gots ideas :frog:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Espilae posted:

Am I still alive? Not much of us original seven left, right? Farmin' away, probably. I'll do a journal if so, I gots ideas :frog:

I think so.
I almost forgot to report Danny's unfortunate demise, and just realised I missed a little dilemma relating to getting drinks for the patients and tactical conscription of the military, but I'm 99% sure I haven't missed a death. I'll check when I'm back in front of my Fortresscomputer.
Edit: Yup. still farming and brewing.

Oh drat. And thought of another thing I forgot about. farn army of migrants making the update take all day! I'll have to throw together a supplemental update tomorrow evening.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Sep 26, 2014

Wordbird Raven
Sep 7, 2011

From the journal of symuun Cloisteredattic, Chief Mechanic

It were me greatest fear, so 'twere. A bridgedoor what works too well.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Is there a hard upper limit to how many migrants you can get, or can it continue to balloon up as your Fort grows and time goes on? Don't think I've seen that many in one wave in a long time.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

symuun posted:

From the journal of symuun Cloisteredattic, Chief Mechanic

It were me greatest fear, so 'twere. A bridgedoor what works too well.

Alternate subtitles for this image included:
When I named it Hubris gate, I didn't expect to be the one experiencing anything of the kind myself.

Hubris Gate: The lesson that keeps on teaching.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

tlarn posted:

Is there a hard upper limit to how many migrants you can get, or can it continue to balloon up as your Fort grows and time goes on? Don't think I've seen that many in one wave in a long time.
You can set that as an option in the settings. It defaults to 200, but that number is checked against when migrant waves leave for your fortress, not when they arrive, so it is very possible to get several migrant waves after you bypass the cap.

Also pregnancies don't check the population cap, dwarves will continue to happily pop out babies no matter what.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Grey Hunter knows how to mediate disputes all right. :lol:

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

You can set that as an option in the settings. It defaults to 200, but that number is checked against when migrant waves leave for your fortress, not when they arrive, so it is very possible to get several migrant waves after you bypass the cap.

Also pregnancies don't check the population cap, dwarves will continue to happily pop out babies no matter what.
There is a hard cap option now, since 0.40.05. The strict cap also stops fort births and all migrants. Both caps can be violated by a few special cases, like the arrival of the monarch if you qualify.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Rather Goldechoed

Finally, I'm an adult. Seems like Father's been walking us for months. Mother's tried to carry me, but apparently I'm too large for her and I've needed to use my feet. Father's bandages helped ease the pain, but I know something better for that.

Ale. I've been sipping the party's supply for as long as I could, but now that we've found Fogwall I've decided it's time to get a start on my craft. The ground is moist and bursting with life.

Gamer's been on my nerves for trying to fix me up as a doctor like Father. Least I can do is make anesthetic. :mmmhmm:

Keep an eye out for my first barrel. I'm going to be the best drat brewer in Fogwall.

Don't tell Father I said that.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Jon Joe Woundcities, Dwarven Child

My dada is baron! That means I get best toys! I love my pet bronze battleaxe, Axey~! One day I will swing Axey all day long and be the best at splitting goblin skulls! Dada says the goblins owe him a new back! I'll get your back back dada!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I want to see my baby boy

He's all I have left of my precious Ghoostwoods

Man I wonder what the chances are of Ghoostwoods not being the father. I seem to remember that an earlier version had a bug where a migrant would should up with some 10 kids in tow, each with only one parent in common

• Locked thread