Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Over the past week I watched Rocky 1-3 and 6 for the first time. The only things I kinda know about those films are what I've been able to glean from watching 4 over and over and...those montages really kinda give you the gist of it.

Rocky's 1-2 are loving great films. Rocky is both dumb and kinda charming and for the life of him he just has no defensive capabilities. These matches aren't about outsmarting your opponents, they're purely about determination. I actually liked 2 way more than 1.

3-4 really fit together nicely because Rocky isn't the idiot anymore, he's trying to give everyone advice even moreso than in 1 and 2. 3's really just a small story about Rocky getting his groove back, and 4 is an awesome doofy revenge flick with 4 MONTAGES IN IT. But Clubber Lang is pretty cool as a character, but they totally didn't go anywhere with him and that fight is rather anticlimactic.

Rocky Balboa is kinda weird because everything about it is nostalgia and figuring out how / when to let go of the past. I'm not sure it entirely works and I think they should have worked on Mason Dixon's character a bit more. I think it's just because Stallone is so old at this point but the fight is pretty brutal-looking. Overall, it's pretty drat entertaining but I didn't like it more than the others.

The biggest takeaway from these films is what a piece of poo poo Paulie is. Oh my god, every film just piles it on how loving horrible he is and I feel like he should get more comeuppance than dying alone as a destitute alcoholic. Jesus Christ, this guy. Heavily implied he beats Adrian and fucks the robot Rocky gives to him for Christmas in Rocky 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Wait til you get to Rocky Balboa.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think he did.

I love Rocky Balboa. I dunno, I watched it the same week as I watched the original films, and it was totally great. I wanted to watch it again, but I haven't been able to see it since. :(

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I still can't believe they gave Paulie a sentient robot in 4.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

I still can't believe they gave Paulie a sentient robot in 4.

I thought this was a joke because I could never remember such a scene. I had to look it up.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Wait til you get to Rocky Balboa.

Yeah. I liked 1 and 2 more because I like young Rocky and because there's some real depth to CREED, and I like 3 and 4 for rather dumb reasons, but Rocky Balboa is a pretty good movie. Considering what Expendables is, I'm really loving happy with what Balboa turned out to be. Also, seeing Paulie admit he's a bad person is soo goood. It's a good ending to the series.

Can't wait for CREED.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
It's crazy how good Rocky Balboa and Rambo were, especially considering his output since then.

edit: and for a while preceding them, as well, tbh

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

K. Waste posted:

Google is Ultraman-themed for Eiji Tsuburaya's 114th birthday.

good

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Rocky IV is the best Rocky because it's about ending the Cold War by punching Russia in the loving face.

Rocky V is the second best because the street fight was supposedly choreographed by Terry Funk

Then it's 1-3 died for third

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Literally The Worst posted:

RIP.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Rocky III has a slight lead cause its the EYE OF THE TIGER ITS THE THRILL OF THE FIGHT RISING UP TO THE CHALLENGE OF OUR RIIIIIVAL

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

When I was a kid I was so pissed that Rocky didn't kill Drago at the end. I thought Drago had it coming after offing Creed.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Literally The Worst posted:

Rocky IV is the best Rocky because it's about ending the Cold War by punching Russia in the loving face.

Rocky V is the second best because the street fight was supposedly choreographed by Terry Funk

This is the opposite of a good opinion.

Also It will never stop being hilarious to me that more than 30 years passed between Sly Stallone getting an Oscar for writing and Marin Scorsese getting any Oscar whatsoever.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Skwirl posted:

This is the opposite of a good opinion.

Also It will never stop being hilarious to me that more than 30 years passed between Sly Stallone getting an Oscar for writing and Marin Scorsese getting any Oscar whatsoever.

If you don't think beating up Russia and proving that WE CAN ALL CHANGE is the best thing that could happen in a movie suck a fat dick and choke

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Rocky II has Rocky trying to read multiple times throughout the film. He sounds like Zombie Bizarro Superman not-stoned into the right frame of mind.

(Did I do the Bizarro thing right?)

E: I'm watching Avengers: Grimm. K-Waste, are you secretly SMG? I wanted to die during Avengers 2, but I didn't want to die THIS bad.

Jigoku fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jul 7, 2015

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Skywalker OG posted:

Rocky II has Rocky trying to read multiple times throughout the film. He sounds like Zombie Bizarro Superman not-stoned into the right frame of mind.

(Did I do the Bizarro thing right?)

E: I'm watching Avengers: Grimm. K-Waste, are you secretly SMG? I wanted to die during Avengers 2, but I didn't want to die THIS bad.

Nah, SMG actually cares about things like "will watching this film be physically painful to other people." He'll hype up tons of found footage poo poo on you tube, but always warns you if 90% of the thing is god damned dire, for example.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Nah, SMG actually cares about things like "will watching this film be physically painful to other people." He'll hype up tons of found footage poo poo on you tube, but always warns you if 90% of the thing is god damned dire, for example.

...I've watched most of the poo poo SMG recommends and, yeah, by the end I get why he likes whatever he likes about them and he usually puts a disclaimer on the poo poo that isn't tolerable to normal people who don't have superhuman levels of found footage tolerance.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

BREAKING NEWS:

Skippy (1931) will be airing on TCM Saturday, July 25 @ 08:15 ante meridiem eastern standard time. Set your VCRs/DVRs accordingly.

89 films have won the Academy Award for Best Directing and this one has been by far the hardest to track down. Been looking for it for years.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Skywalker OG posted:

Rocky's IQ upgrade from Rocky II to Rocky III is amazing. It's almost as if getting hit in the head made him smarter.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I love how no matter what genre Fulci's working in, you can instantly tell it's a Fulci movie. Conquest and Four of the Apocalypse both own.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jul 7, 2015

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Where's Dickeye when you need him? I called the latest S&S episode the instant the story dropped.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Where's Dickeye when you need him? I called the latest S&S episode the instant the story dropped.
Reading the article when it dropped was a really weird experience, "oh, did they swapped photos? wait, they didn't, then is that her granny? .... w t f?!"

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

It's a completely wild story. Listening to all the charity they got was incredible, especially the Mandalorian Power Armor.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
When they namedropped Morbid Reality I smiled.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of SMG found footage YouTube poo poo,

[pounds fists on table petulantly]

I want some, someone link me some.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Hi hello yes is this the one about the murder/"kidnapping" because I'm still listening to that one

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I got to see two films in the theater last night that I never thought I would see beyond 3rd generation VHS bootlegs - The Decline of Western Civilization and The Decline of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years.

Oh man those are two of the greatest films ever made, no exaggeration. The level of clear detail in the restorations is amazing, it was like watching whole new films. ESPECIALLY the first film. Something like the fact that Darby Crash has marker drawn all over his body was made completely invisible by water-damaged VHS rips.

I think The Metal Years will always be the exact film I wish I made.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

TrixRabbi posted:

I got to see two films in the theater last night that I never thought I would see beyond 3rd generation VHS bootlegs - The Decline of Western Civilization and The Decline of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years.

Oh man those are two of the greatest films ever made, no exaggeration. The level of clear detail in the restorations is amazing, it was like watching whole new films. ESPECIALLY the first film. Something like the fact that Darby Crash has marker drawn all over his body was made completely invisible by water-damaged VHS rips.

I think The Metal Years will always be the exact film I wish I made.

On WTF Spheeris said she's working on a part 4 so she's currently tight lipped on what it will be about right now. Also on that I learned you have her daughter to thank for forcing her to remaster and re-release those.

I'm not sure if it's accurate, but I always like the idea that part 2 created grunge because upcoming musicians saw that movie and were just like "gently caress this".

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Too bad they didn't show part 3.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Jenny Angel posted:

He hypes this one a lot, and it's actually pretty good.

15/05/11 - ABANDONED GRAIN ELEVATOR
https://youtu.be/6jonTL7R57A

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

It took me 3-4 times of starting this, getting bored and stopping, then restarting before I finally watched it all back when it first got posted. Better than I expected.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Apparently she wanted the double feature to be Part I and Part III because she felt they were the true companion pieces, but a triple feature on a Monday night was a bit much and the program manager really loves The Metal Years.

I've never seen III so I'm gonna have to track down the Blu Ray set.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Yeah, this was the first Decline movie I saw and it really stuck with me. Was what really started getting me into the history of punk. The first two films are dirty and debased, but the third film is just sad.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

MacheteZombie posted:

It took me 3-4 times of starting this, getting bored and stopping, then restarting before I finally watched it all back when it first got posted. Better than I expected.

Same. It took a few times of him posting it before I gave it more than a few minutes. Ended up enjoying it.

I don't have the link for it, but if someone's looking for cool, real, surprisingly well-framed footage there's a video of a skydiver dropping their GoPro that is fantastic.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

K. Waste posted:

Yeah, this was the first Decline movie I saw and it really stuck with me. Was what really started getting me into the history of punk. The first two films are dirty and debased, but the third film is just sad.

The damnable 3 act structure strikes again.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Not sure if this got dropped in here but Nicolas Jaar did a score for Parajanov's The Color of Pomegranates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHZGDDE8n4E

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

LesterGroans posted:

good video had a 1970 horror feel to it more mental than gust blood and slash like todays cookie cuter films

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Jenny Angel posted:

It's been a dry spell. The best I've found recently are:

Investigation of Indian Cabin Rd.
(One of the better examples of the 'paranormal investigation' genre. It's very atmospheric.)

Evidence
(A professionally-made short about an episode of COPS gone wrong. It resembles Quarantine.)

Subconscious
(An exceedingly pretentious, surreal Greek film that's nonetheless quite fun to watch.)

Evidence of the Sasquatch
(Sasquatch!)

All of these are better than, say, Extinction - the crappy dinosaur movie that was just released.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qw_g2qG38s

i can't explain it raymond

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Holy poo poo. Cemetery Without Crosses is finally getting a real, HD release. Comes out in a few weeks!

http://www.amazon.com/Cemetery-Without-Crosses-Special-Edition/dp/B00VMFS28E

• Locked thread