Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Word on the Wind
May 23, 2014

pichupal posted:

A little late. Still not all that good at making 'em.

Oh thank you.

---

So it seems the answer to the Rainbow Palace 1 issue I had was that I somehow never figured out that blasting the two-block high columns was possible, as such I never got the remote bomb. Child me: you have failed me.

Also, when you unlock rainbow palace and Sirius make his betrayal, if you go back to all of the stages that he gave you advice (And the duel against him in 1-2) he's apparently replaced himself with robotic duplicates that mock you and say strange things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Word on the Wind posted:

Also, when you unlock rainbow palace and Sirius make his betrayal, if you go back to all of the stages that he gave you advice (And the duel against him in 1-2) he's apparently replaced himself with robotic duplicates that mock you and say strange things.

On top of that, he won't appear to give you remote bombs for the boss battles if you go back to them, they'll just be sitting there in a cone that you break open with a bomb. He won't save you during the giant spider boss either, so refighting that boss after beating the game is a bit harder.

Anyway, as a final detox for Bomberman 64 here's a TAS that breaks the game over its knee in a hilarious way. Some really silly things can be done with bomb jumping when you have the help of frame-perfect inputs. it's an entertaining watch when you have the time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byjZfFwDRds

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

ThornBrain posted:

Stay tuned for Saturn Bomberman, my personal favourite of the franchise.
Hell. Yes, that is the best goddamn Bomberman game I am SO excited for this! :dance: That was the one game I was waiting for throughout all this megathread's history.

Word on the Wind
May 23, 2014
On the whole, i do like this game. If only because there's not really anything else like it. And while I'm sure BigTUnit would be quick to say, "For good reason" I like the concept of a puzzle-platformer that has very limited mobility requiring creative use of the tools provided. (Bionic Commando would be the action-platformer variant of this.)

And they put thought into a lot of things. If the camera was like the one in say, Mario 64 suddenly bomb-transit is basically impossible, since you're not restricted to sharp 45 degree angles. Sure the camera has -problems- but it was early 3D and that kind of came with the territory.

Personally I'd call this better than Hero by virtue of the fact that it's different and feels more deliberate and creative than Hero ever really did.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Augus posted:

Anyway, as a final detox for Bomberman 64 here's a TAS that breaks the game over its knee in a hilarious way. Some really silly things can be done with bomb jumping when you have the help of frame-perfect inputs. it's an entertaining watch when you have the time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byjZfFwDRds

After the frustration and exhaustion this game gave me, seeing this is ridiculously satisfying. And seeing them doing those insane bomb stairs almost makes me feel vindicated, like the game's logic isn't that of a better-thought out game.

For the record, everyone's corrections and post-level advice has been quoted and added to the game's post for the sake of completion and accuracy that I don't have to actually go back and show.

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 28, 2015

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
I'm so glad you guys did what my younger self never had the patience or skill for. I never saw the last level and so I had no idea how...BS it was. It was the one thing until now that I never spoiled for myself because "what if it's really good?! I should play it myself!" Yeah, no.

Thank you!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
So, uh, did the developers just forget at some point that they were making a Bomberman game? Because I don't associate that with mandatory platforming and esoteric jumping puzzles.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Dragonatrix posted:

So, uh, did the developers just forget at some point that they were making a Bomberman game? Because I don't associate that with mandatory platforming and esoteric jumping puzzles.

It's a product of its time, I'd say, with developers not really being familiar with developing games in the third dimension and having to experiment and play things by ear. They realized that they had this new vertical element they could work with, and thought of this cool way you could use bombs to traverse elevated terrain. The problem is that they didn't catch how obtuse this would be to a new player, or know how to convey it properly so you could figure out what to do. 99% players just played up to Altair and called it a day, because your be hard pressed to figure out how to do bomb jumping puzzles on your own. When you figure out how it works, it does make sense and there is a logic it follows, but there's a high barrier to getting to that point where it makes sense, and it feels like you're exploiting a glitch in the first place so there's a never a point where you think "no, that's just too silly", leading to the convoluted solutions people come up with like the "ghetto bomb jump" Thorn did in the first level. It's a clear sign that the developers didn't properly playtest the game with people who weren't already familiar with the game, and it's almost impossible for a developer to get into the mindset of a beginner player.

RasterPunk
Aug 24, 2015

Here's my comic based on part 1 of the Bomberman 64 LP at 8:40.

lesson learned, don't make dialogue that small for next time.

My final thoughts on Bomberman 64:
B grade gameplay with A grade charm, but may induce symptoms of cold sweats and seizures when looking at the color gold.

I think this game's biggest problem is the fact that Bomberman's gameplay works better as a thinking man's action game, but the enemies are designed as if your character could shoot or swing a sword. Every encounter is a bomb kick followed by placing a bomb next to your enemy and waiting (until you get the remote bomb which I feel probably should have been how the bomb functions by default if they wanted fast pace action).

I mean look at these levels, packed with enemies. What do you see Thorn do? Walk passed them.

The bomb jump is clearly a mechanic in this game; the levels are built around it. However, the way it isn't explained and how it's executed makes it feel like a glitch or a secret, but it does show me how Bomberman 64 could have been a better game thinking in more ways you could use bombs other than them just exploding. Bombs having timers have always been Bomberman's problem when it tries to be an action game because the player is forced to wait inbetween intervals of attacks; this makes the game boring since the only way to make enemies challenging is to turn them into birds or bunny rabbits. Either a clever puzzler or an action game that's more about strategy than response time could have probably made it better, but instead it ended up being an action adventure with an incredibly boring method of attacking and nothing much else to do.

However, much like Megaman Legends, none of this matters (it's been like 18 years anyway). The reason this game holds so much nostalgia and why I even bought the game despite not growing up with it is because these games have charm. It's just a nice happy game that's nice to look at and listen to. Much like how I'm starting to enjoy Bomberman Land 1-3 before I've truly experienced the gameplay.

Certain games have a vacationy feel.

RasterPunk fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 29, 2015

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
Wait so if the plot twist was that they were the good guys all along why does the game start with their flying fortress thing showing up and starting to blow up your planet? :psyduck:

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
They weren't good guys. They were four jerks who stole a cube from another jerk.

I wish this LP had been started about a month earlier because then I could have recorded footage of the second game for you guys to comment on. It has more Bomberman Gundams than you could ever hope for.

All these years and I still love it when Sirius yells "HA HA HA, GIVE IT UP!" during his fight.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

TheFattestPat posted:

I wish this LP had been started about a month earlier because then I could have recorded footage of the second game for you guys to comment on. It has more Bomberman Gundams than you could ever hope for.

Playing Second Attack myself is the only thing I don't want to do. If anyone else wants to record the footage for us, we'll commentate it no problem.

Also loving your art RasterPunk.

RasterPunk
Aug 24, 2015

ThornBrain posted:

Playing Second Attack myself is the only thing I don't want to do. If anyone else wants to record the footage for us, we'll commentate it no problem.

Also loving your art RasterPunk.

There's your excuse TheFattestPat to record! Go for it man! I think the dialogue especially with Pommy might be some of the highlights of the LP.

Also thank you Thorn. I'm striving for at least a comic every LP; it's good practice.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
I wish I could but I have to go back to school tomorrow where I don't have the equipment or the time.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
Spellmaker is definitely one of my favorite "big bosses" in the Bomberman series. In most Bomberman games my main interest is in the enemy bomber characters, but this guy has a bunch of things that I love; a jester wearing a theatre mask who attacks with Tarot cards. Awesome. As a child I barely knew what Tarot was, let alone realize he was fighting with them, so it was really cool when I revisited this fight as an adult and put that together.

For reference, the cards uses in the battle are The Sun, The Star, The Lovers, The World, Justice, The Moon, The Devil, and Death. Justice is kind of an odd one since it's a sword instead of the typical scales, if it weren't for the XI I would have assumed it was the Ace of Swords.

Also, if you revisit Green 2 after unlocking the Rainbow Palace the Sirius fight is now against a Sirius android who tries to destroy you. He's still easy as poo poo but he has green eyes (in his portrait anyway).

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Oh, everyone's already covered everything I go over here. Oh well: here's my roundup anyway.

I didn't bother looking at Spellmaker 'cause I couldn't be bothered.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I know it's gotten a lot of hate and honestly, it's not unwarranted, but Bomberman 64 still remains one of my favorite N64 games from my childhood. Bomb stairs and bomb jumping is utter bullshit, sure, but if you aren't trying to 100% the game, it's not terrible to just play through.

RasterPunk
Aug 24, 2015

God drat it Yoshi.

Art based on Part 2 of the Bomberman 64 Let's Play at 8:42.

MFDelta
Oct 9, 2012
It's no wonder all four of them could barely manage to steal the Omni Cube. The entire time they must have been cornering each other, knocking themselves unconscious, and kicking bombs that won't move until they explode.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Oh wow this thread is back! My memories of Bomberman64 are of being completely baffled by the bomb jumping platforming and playing the poo poo out of the multiplayer instead. I'm looking forward to watching you guys suffer through it.

I did an LP of Bomberman Tournament during the last thread, but stopped at Part 6, a mere three videos from the end for no reason at all.

I would like to say that seeing this thread return has motivated me to complete the LP I abandoned more than 2 years ago, but in what I can only describe as a weird coincidence I acually uploaded Part 7 to my youtube channel a week before this thread went up.

Let's Play Bomberman Tournament!

Bomberman Tournament is a fun, easy game that takes the basic bomberman gameplay and stuffs it into a bag with Zelda's overworld/dungeon game structure then beats the poo poo out of that bag with a gnarled stick labelled 'shallow pokemon-esque creature collecting/battles".

The titular Tournament refers to the game's multiplayer, which is both excellent and exactly the same as every bomberman game of the period.

Full Playlist here

Note: These videos are from 2012 and the sound quality in some of them is pretty bad sorry!

Part 1: Forest Zone
Part 2: Magnet Base
Part 3: Beach Zone
Part 4: Pretty Base
Part 5: Ice Zone
Part 6: Plasma Base
Part 7: Desert Zone NEW!
Part 8: Golem Base
Part 9: Fantasy

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 30, 2015

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Mr Phillby posted:

I did an LP of Bomberman Tournament during the last thread, but stopped at Part 6, a mere three videos from the end for no reason at all.

I would like to say that seeing this thread return has motivated me to complete the LP I abandoned more than 2 years ago, but in what I can only describe as a weird coincidence I actually uploaded Part 7 to my youtube channel a week before this thread went up.

That's some amazing timing then. Glad to see this back as well! This is an entertaining LP and I recommend it to anyone following the megathread who hasn't watched it yet.

If you want I can recover the game/LP description from the old thread so you can use this post as the general hub for your LP. That way if you want to archive it when it's done, you can link Baldurk the single post and not have to find all the individual updates.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Thanks for the kind words and the offer, but I don't think there was much of value in my old update posts, and the self-hosted links no longer work. I'll just spruce up my last post and update it as I finish the last two videos for archiving purposes.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Mr Phillby posted:

Thanks for the kind words and the offer, but I don't think there was much of value in my old update posts, and the self-hosted links no longer work. I'll just spruce up my last post and update it as I finish the last two videos for archiving purposes.

Yeah that's what I asked. I just meant if you didn't want to rewrite the game description I can get it from the SA archive.

quote:

The tournament of the title refers to the game's standard link-cable multiplayer. The single player 'Quest' however, plays like a mash up of Bomberman and Zelda with a sprinkle of Pokemon. It's sort of a spiritual successor to Bomberman Quest for the GBC and predecessor to Bomberman Story for the DS.

It's also the second game to feature Max (the first being Bomberman Max red/blue for the GBC). Tournament follows Bomberman's search for the mysterious cyborg after he disappeared while investigating meteors on Planet Phantarion. Along the way Bomberman will meet and recruit Pokemon Charaboms, this time spelt Karabons. The game's setting, planet Phantarion, draws heavily from Neutopia, an early Zelda-alike developed by Hudson.

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Aug 31, 2015

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009
Just beating the game like that is the best way this could have possibly ended: winning by default with the other 2 bombers blowing themselves up.

But I don't think you ever showed off what happens if you go back to Green Gardens after you've opened Rainbow Place/gotten 100 gold cards and interact with Sirius in literally any part of that stage. His dialogue and actions will be significantly different to the "useless, corny advice and help" he said the first time around.

It certainly makes the Friend Or Foe? fight more interesting. Can't find a video here.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Faust IX posted:

But I don't think you ever showed off what happens if you go back to Green Gardens after you've opened Rainbow Place/gotten 100 gold cards and interact with Sirius in literally any part of that stage. His dialogue and actions will be significantly different to the "useless, corny advice and help" he said the first time around.

It certainly makes the Friend Or Foe? fight more interesting. Can't find a video here.

ThornBrain didn't, but frozentreasure's video shows it off.

I'm gald the Bobmerman Tournament LP is back, that'll tie in well with the games Thorn will do later.

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009
Neato. Had somehow missed this, and its a pretty good example of the very stretched logic for some of these puzzles.

I think its time to go find my old cart of Bomberman MAX: Red Challenger and see how it aged. Maybe LP-ing it for the thread, who knows. Are any of you guys are interested in making (maybe) a Co-Op LP? Red Challenger vs. Blue Champion?

Looking forward to Saturn Bomberman.

Faust IX fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Aug 31, 2015

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Watching the TAS of Bomberman 64 reminds me of the last thing I was going to mention that I found while getting the cards myself: blowing up those houses in Blue Resort doesn't actually net you extra kills, even though like seven enemies die jumping out. I think it's just supposed to be a neat touch, or a way to stop them from respawning.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So watching those Bomberman Tournament videos remided me that the music is super catchy. Like ever since i played that game as a kid the music has stuck with me. But up until now i had forgotten what game it was that had such super catchy music that i catch myself humming from time to time.

Now i remember, thanks Bomberman Megathread.

K-ParAdoX
Jul 12, 2004
...but.this.phone.is. always.off.it's.hook...

Mr Phillby posted:

Oh wow this thread is back! My memories of Bomberman64 are of being completely baffled by the bomb jumping platforming and playing the poo poo out of the multiplayer instead. I'm looking forward to watching you guys suffer through it.

I would like to say that seeing this thread return has motivated me to complete the LP I abandoned more than 2 years ago, but in what I can only describe as a weird coincidence I acually uploaded Part 7 to my youtube channel a week before this thread went up.

Let's Play Bomberman Tournament!

Bomberman Tournament is a fun, easy game that takes the basic bomberman gameplay and stuffs it into a bag with Zelda's overworld/dungeon game structure then beats the poo poo out of that bag with a gnarled stick labelled 'shallow pokemon-esque creature collecting/battles".

The titular Tournament refers to the game's multiplayer, which is both excellent and exactly the same as every bomberman game of the period.

Full Playlist here

Note: These videos are from 2012 and the sound quality in some of them is pretty bad sorry!

Part 1: Forest Zone
Part 2: Magnet Base
Part 3: Beach Zone
Part 4: Pretty Base
Part 5: Ice Zone
Part 6: Plasma Base
Part 8: Golem Base
Part 9: Fantasy
Your demeanor and voice are quite like Mark Corrigan from Peep Show, especially when you started talking about the Nazi dungeon. I like your dry sense of humor as well. Looking forward to the next video after I finish college, get married, have a kid, get divorced, hire a prostitute, get remarried to the prostitute, and die of a heart attack at age 63.

RasterPunk
Aug 24, 2015

The thread seems to have been quiet for about 2 weeks, everyone still here?

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
I've got Saturn and Fantasy Race ready to commentate. The guys are just busy with school and work, so we haven't been able to record anything all month.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

ThornBrain posted:

I've got Saturn and Fantasy Race ready to commentate. The guys are just busy with school and work, so we haven't been able to record anything all month.
I'm just checking this thread everyday by proxy just to see when, I'm super excited for Saturn Bomberman with you guys. :)

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

---The Game---
Super Bomberman 2 is the 1994 sequel to Super Bomberman. It undoes many of the changes that made the original so easy and refocuses it into a deceptively challenging game: death means a level restart, there's almost no invincibility at all, and you can kill yourself with just the stage design in many places. However that also means the game is repetitive and clearly meant for its multiplayer, not for its story mode. Still, it's a decent way to kill an hour and a half.

The Story is Such:
According to Wikipedia, because there's no other way to find a story for this game:
"Five evil cyborgs, called the "Five Dastardly Bombers" are bent on taking over the universe. At the planet Earth, they capture the original Bomberman, and he is placed in a prison cell in their base. He awakens in the dungeon of Magnet Bomber and must fight his way to a final showdown with the Magnet Bomber himself. In the following four levels, Bomberman will challenge Golem Bomber, Pretty Bomber, Brain Bomber, and their leader, Plasma Bomber in an effort to free the Earth of these alien invaders as well as save himself."
If you can gather that from just the game, well done.

---The LP---
This is a very quick LP in the same vein as the LP of the original: there are five worlds, each with their own 10-18 minute video, and the whole LP will be around an hour in length total. My co-commentators are BigTUnit1, Highwang, and Word on the Wind.

(By RasterPunk)

(By Douloug)
Bomberman Has No Soul

(By ElTipejoLoco)

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 12, 2015

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

AWWWW YEAAAAH I loved this game, Musclebomber2020 recommended!

THis was like the third Bomberman game I ever played and I remember enjoying it a lot for being a little more unique than the first Super Bomberman. I enjoy these smaller LPs, make a nice bite-size to tide us over inbetween the much bigger games like Saturn and whatnot.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

I cracked up harder than I should have at the "man swallowing a tire" comment. There seems to be at least one situation in each of your LPs that does that to me.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
I think this was my third Bomberman game? I was able to get up to Plasma Bomber's levels, but I never beat it for some reason.

Every time I see it now i can't help but think of a Retsuprae where they were making fun of a guy who kept calling it Super Bummerman 2 and referred to one of the enemies as "the triple fudge packers."

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
The red traps do indeed boost the power of bombs though the bomb itself has to be placed right on top of the trap to be boosted to max power.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 27, 2015

RasterPunk
Aug 24, 2015

This was actually my first introduction to the Bomberman franchise when I rented this for the Super Nintendo.
Keeping my notebook nearby for more highlights to draw! :D

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
This game was my introduction to the Bomberman series as well. Oddly, I find the graphics in Bomberman 2 exceed its successors, as SB3 and SB4 look downright bad compared to it. Also, the nerd in me reveals that Magnet Bomber's punching robot has a name, the Iron Gigue (or something like that).

Also, I've been rewatching the Bomberman Tournament vids, and there's some badass music going on with those boss fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

I forgot to render the first part at 720p so that YouTube will play it at 60fps. I've fixed that for the rest of the LP.

• Locked thread