Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Alternate Title: I did feel like hitting a few balls today...I suppose this Yakuza 1 LP will do

What is this?
Why, a Game Kiwi LP of the first Yakuza game, of course!

But we’ve seen Yakuza 1 already.
Yes you have! Jamesman did an excellent LP of this game way back when. Not to mention Geop’s Yakuza 2 LP that died far too young. We aren’t those people though! Not that The other LPs aren’t great (they are), but we have different thoughts and opinions. And, let’s face it, you can’t really have too much Yakuza.

Who are you?
Another Person and I make up Game Kiwi, an in-joke turned into a real thing. AP lives in Wales, and I lives in California. We’ve been playing games together for the internet for a while now (In fact we have an AP-driven Digimon World Re:Digitize LP running right in this very sub-forum!), then AP mentioned never having experienced this series, not to mention how hyped I am about finally getting Yakuza 5 in English, and that’s why we’re here today.

When will you release?
We plan on releasing videos on Mondays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. We’re also trying to think of relevant bonus content so we can make some fun extra videos to release sporadically.

Any last words?
Not too much. Yakuza is basically my favorite game franchise ever, so I wanted to spread the joy of asskicking to as many people as I can (and also the sorrow that comes from no news of the latest game ever coming west). It’s gonna be a fun trip, so buckle up. It’s Yakuza time!

:siren: Spoiler Rules: :siren:
Please don’t. This is a very story-centric game, and AP is getting it for the first time (as may be other posters). Don’t ruin it for them. If you really want to talk spoilers, there’s the Yakuza General Thread for that, or you can PM me for spoilery tips or things you want me to try and check out.

Episodes:
Episode 1 - Like a Dragon
Episode 2 - Forky McStool
Episode 3 - An Unwelcoming Host
Episode 4 - A Fight to the Death
Episode 5 - You Guys Again
Episode 6 - A Long Con
Episode 7 - Fart
Episode 8 - You Could Use A Meat Bun
Episode 9 - Beef Cake
Episode 10 - Let's Hit Some Balls
Episode 11 - The UFO Catcher Episode
Episode 12 - Buu Superiority
Episode 13 - Back to the Batting Cage
Episode 14 - Voices
Episode 15 - Dad Cop
Episode 16 - :lost:
Episode 17 - A Cursed Episode
Episode 18 - Loaded
Episode 19 - Wanderlust
Episode 20 - Razor Bladez
Episode 21 - Hanzo Steel
Episode 22 - Car Combat
Episode 23 - The Other Side
Episode 24 - Boned
Episode 25 - It's a JRPG
Episode 26 - Purple Elephant
Episode 27 - The Return
Episode 28 - Boat Party
Episode 29 - Rooftop
Episode 30 - The End

Bonus Episodes:
Game Kiwi Watches - Yakuza Kiwami Trailer - Synced YouTube Doubler
Yakuza Kiwi - Missing the Point (Podcast) - Audio only version
Game Kiwi Watches - Yakuza 2 Trailer

Characters

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
:siren: At some point there will probably be spoilers in this post. I’ll black bar them, but please be careful if you care about that stuff. That said, I'm not going to black bar info that comes straight from the instruction manual (unless you really want me to). :siren:

Characters:

Kiryu Kazuma: Former Member of the Dojima Family, an affiliate of the Tojo Clan. He is known as "the Dragon of the Dojima Family." He grew up at the Sunflower Orphanage with his best friends, Nishiki and Yumi, but has served ten years in prison, taking the blame foe the crime Nishiki committed. And in 2005, after serving his term, he returned to Kamurocho. --Voiced by Darryl Kurrylo.

Goro Majima: A lieutenant of the Shimano Family, an affiliate of the Tojo Clan and captain of the Majima Family. He is a cutthroat member of the notoriously violent Shimano Family. He is known to have no mercy and a quick temper, winning him the nickname “the Madman of the Shimano Family.” He is awesome. --Voiced by Mark Hamill.

Akira Nishiki: A member of the Dojima Family, an affiliate of the Tojo Clan. Friend of Kazuma. He grew up at the Sunflower Orphanage, He joined the Dojima family at the same time as Kazuma, yet he's always had an inferiority complex. During the ten years since the incident, Nishiki changed greatly. --Voiced by Michael Rosenbaum

Yumi Sawamura: She grew up at the Sunflower Orphanage like a little sister to Kazuma and Nishiki. After Kazuma and Nishiki joined the Dojima Family, she came to Kamurocho, working as a hostess at Serena. Her life was in order, until one incident shattered it all. --Voiced by Eliza Dushku.

Reina: She runs Serena, a bar located on the second floor of a building on a busy street. She has known both Kazuma and Nishiki for ten years, and is also good friends with Yumi, whom she employs. Due to the incident, several of her friends have disappeared from her life. Even after ten years, she still awaits their return. --Voiced by Rachael Leigh Cook.

Make Date: Homicide Division detective. --Voiced by Bill Farmer.

Shintaro Fuma: A Lieutenant of the Dojima Family, an affiliate of the Tojo Clan, and the captain of the Fuma Family. He has been providing financial support for the Sunflower Orphanage, and is like a godfather to Kazuma and Nishiki. He also led the two into the world of the Yakuza. A stern and honorable person, he is trusted and followed by many. --Voiced by Roger L. Jackson.

Masa Sera: The third chairman of the Tojo Clan. Known as a phenomenon for reaching the rank of chairman while just in his 40's. An intelligent man, he also has many young followers. After the murder of Sohei Dojima, he has rebuilt the almost-shatteres organization, and is still in power after ten years. --Voiced by Alan Dale.

Shinji Tanaka: A member of the Dojima Family, an affiliate of the Tojo Clan. He entered this world out of admiration toward the Dragon of the Dojima Family, becoming the faithful "younger brother" of Kazuma. --Voiced by Daniel Capellaro.

Kazuki: The young owner of "Stardust," the most popular host club in town. He is indebted to Fuma, and will be more than happy to help Kazuma out.

Yuya: A host at Stardust, and right-hand man to Kazuki. He considers Kazuki his master, and is more than willing to lay his life on the line for the club.

---
I'm not sure how up to date I will keep these, but at the very least it will have the basics from the manual.

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 5, 2015

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

last reserved post from me, I promise. Hopefully there will be fun stuff to put here eventually!

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Hi. I'm AP. I am the dude who is seeing this blind.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I still think you should've called the thread "IT'S RAINING MEN!"

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

precision posted:

I still think you should've called the thread "IT'S RAINING MEN!"

I somehow missed that one. But luckily we still have the best game in the series to play, and the best game deserved the best title.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
You posted the wrong link in the new LP thread (you probably deleted a number from the threadid or something)
Posting here since anything other than new LP posts in not allowed in that thread.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

my dad posted:

You posted the wrong link in the new LP thread (you probably deleted a number from the threadid or something)
Posting here since anything other than new LP posts in not allowed in that thread.

Thanks for that! I wouldn't've noticed otherwise. I somehow cut the last number out of the thread id. :negative:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Will it just be this game or will the other games in the series follow after this one?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

Will it just be this game or will the other games in the series follow after this one?

I don't want to make any promises, but at this point we would like to play through all of the main series.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I am looking forward to this since Jameson's links are dead. Viddler's all done for and Blip croaked.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Annointed posted:

I am looking forward to this since Jameson's links are dead. Viddler's all done for and Blip croaked.

It's on the Internet Archive.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Yup. That was another reason for us wanting to do this despite pre-existing LPs, besides Mikeys love of the series. It is just hard to track down the old one using conventional links.

Worth noting: We are about 5 episodes in in terms of recordings, because timetabling us to be able to work together is not simple due to different continents and timezones. We kinda record in blocks and use that as a buffer, because that is just better for our schedules. As such, any suggestions you guys might have won't be implemented until episode 6 or 7, depending on how many eps we have in the can.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Another Person posted:

Worth noting: We are about 5 episodes in in terms of recordings, because timetabling us to be able to work together is not simple due to different continents and timezones. We kinda record in blocks and use that as a buffer, because that is just better for our schedules. As such, any suggestions you guys might have won't be implemented until episode 6 or 7, depending on how many eps we have in the can.

We can possibly take post-production suggestions though, as I haven't edited any of our footage yet. For instance, on this first episode I was experimenting with audio panning. It's a lot higher on our Digimon videos, and I wanted to see if making it this low would give the same effect, but be less jarring for headphone users.

In general though, we don't edit too much, if anything, out of the game recording, unless it's completely dreadful. So please keep those things in mind as it will be very very apparent in Chapter 3.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

mikeycp posted:

Thanks for that! I wouldn't've noticed otherwise. I somehow cut the last number out of the thread id. :negative:

i thought that was a pretty funny joke but i was wrong

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

mikeycp posted:

In general though, we don't edit too much, if anything, out of the game recording, unless it's completely dreadful. So please keep those things in mind as it will be very very apparent in Chapter 3.

Yeah. Chapter 3. This game is clearly from the generation of games where you needed to have a slice of as many genres as you could in your game.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

i thought that was a pretty funny joke but i was wrong

You were right in that it was pretty funny! Just not actually a joke.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

It's Thursday! Time for a new episode!! :siren: :siren:

Episode 2 - Forky McStool

---

Also, I think for the character bios post that if it needs updating I will do it the day after the corresponding video is posted, as to give people time to watch the episode first.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I definitely won't post about it every time (especially since this time is making me a gross triple poster), but I just did a pretty substantial update to the character post under the OP.

A couple characters don't have pictures, but I couldn't find anything good on GIS. I'll take some screenshots in the next couple days and put them in there.

There's also not too much more character info from the manual left to put up there, so updates to that section may slow down substantially.

Anyway, that's it. Please look forward to Monday's episode! poo poo is gonna start to get so so real.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Hey, so we realised we recorded more than we thought so we are adding an extra day to the schedule. There will be episodes on Saturday now too.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Like AP said, we're doing Saturday episodes now! and here is the first one!

Episode 3 - An Unwelcoming Host

Have a good weekend, everyone!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

The wait is over! It time for a new episode of Yakuza!

Episode 4 - A Fight to the Death

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

The wailing and gnashing of teeth can now end! The next episode of Yakuza is here!

And there was much rejoicing!

Episode 5 - You Guys Again

e: As of right now, 5:44PM PDT, the video is still processing the higher qualities. Sorry for the inconvenience.

As an aside, episodes will be in their glorious native 480p widescreen from episode 6 onward!

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 11, 2015

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Let's go for a drink, all you posters in the thread! It's time for a new episode! Now in Glorious Widescreen.

Episode 6 - A Long Con

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I'm watching, I'm about 2 videos behind and I don't really have anything to say right now.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

It was only half-salty, TBH. Was mostly excited about doing some copious drinking at the county fair.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

I'm watching, I'm about 2 videos behind and I don't really have anything to say right now.

Nice to see someone on this end is watching, we thought it was just random YTers watching for a while. And yeah, at this point in the game it is kind of difficult to have much to say, not a lot of plot has happened yet.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Yeah, I'm following too. Don't let the deathly silence discourage you.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
I've been meaning to replay this again, but since you guys are doing it, I can concentrate on other stuff that I want to play.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Very happy to get confirmation that people are still watching. Especially since the 3-day schedule requires recording much more frequently than I imagined it would.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Here's the new episode! It's a bit longer than usual, chiefly due to plot.

Episode 7 - Fart

Serious Time PSA: Be nice to dogs. Adopt, don't shop. Support dog rescue.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

And here's some good news for everyone (also so mikey doesn't have to triple post again right away)!

This game is getting remade! (but currently Japan Only obviously)

Ryu ga Gotoku (Yakuza) Kiwami has just been announced for PS3 and PS4. And in addition, Yakuza 6 has ALSO been confirmed for PS4 with a projected Fall 2016 release.

Now, on topic of the LP itself; I haven't started watching yet, but you guys BETTER do Yakuza 2 justice. We need SOMETHING to replace those Digest Movies that don't get across how much of a roller coaster that game's story is!

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Volfogg posted:

And here's some good news for everyone (also so mikey doesn't have to triple post again right away)!

This game is getting remade! (but currently Japan Only obviously)

Ryu ga Gotoku (Yakuza) Kiwami has just been announced for PS3 and PS4. And in addition, Yakuza 6 has ALSO been confirmed for PS4 with a projected Fall 2016 release.

Now, on topic of the LP itself; I haven't started watching yet, but you guys BETTER do Yakuza 2 justice. We need SOMETHING to replace those Digest Movies that don't get across how much of a roller coaster that game's story is!

We will definitely be doing Yakuza 2 when we get to it. Is there any official reason why the remake is not slated to come out in this country then? I imagine they do not see the cost of translating the world into English and promoting the game as being able to be covered by the profits.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Volfogg posted:

We'll do our best to do it justice. At the very least we will hit the side quests that everybody wants to see.

Another Person posted:

We will definitely be doing Yakuza 2 when we get to it. Is there any official reason why the remake is not slated to come out in this country then? I imagine they do not see the cost of translating the world into English and promoting the game as being able to be covered by the profits.

It's those things, and also Real Product Licensing, and also because Sega are a bunch of Absolute Fuckers.

The only chance they have is if Yakuza 5 does well in a couple months. Everyone should buy it, regardless if they currently have a system capable of running it. Please help get more of these games made I don't want to have to study way harder just to play those games.

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011

mikeycp posted:

We'll do our best to do it justice. At the very least we will hit the side quests that everybody wants to see.

It's those things, and also Real Product Licensing, and also because Sega are a bunch of Absolute Fuckers.

The only chance they have is if Yakuza 5 does well in a couple months. Everyone should buy it, regardless if they currently have a system capable of running it. Please help get more of these games made I don't want to have to study way harder just to play those games.

It's like Sega completely missed the "remake your game to be PC playable and put it on Steam for profit" train

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

FailAtMagic posted:

It's like Sega completely missed the "remake your game to be PC playable and put it on Steam for profit" train

I mean they did put Valkyria Chronicles on Steam, but they seemingly forgot about it after that.

Drachir D Nalem
Aug 14, 2012
Lagging behind on the LP because hospitals don't let me view the forums, but also watching.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Off topic, but since I'm catching up now, the wrestler you mentioned in episode 4 is Kazuchika Okada, and he is indeed the current IWGP heavyweight champion after he beat AJ Styles for the title at Dominion in a really great match. Also, you missed Sasaki (Kensuke Sasaki) who was a very well-known wrestler in Japan.

Also, I think I always levelled up technique first, because I liked the idea of having more moves to make fights easier.

Hoss Corncave fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Sep 16, 2015

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

We recorded a dumb thing yesterday. Have a bonus video! I'll include a synced YT Doubler link as well, though we talk for about 2.5 minutes before the video starts.

Game Kiwi Watches - Yakuza Kiwami Trailer - Synced YouTube Doubler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Gonna double post to throw this out there.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2015-09-11/largest-yakuza-group-in-japan-splits-up

It talks about the origin and structure of the yakuza a bit, and also some information about their current place in Japanese society. Just thought it would be interesting and maybe clarify some stuff about the structure of the organization, since the game takes that information for granted.

Jake Adelstein is known to embellish a story a fair bit (and he is a pretty decent storyteller), but for general stuff he's mostly sound.

• Locked thread