Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Black Linux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
install all of them on seperate partitions, OP, then you can judge for yourself :buddy:

here's a handy chart to get you started

alternatively: gentoo

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009

Khorne posted:

Most popular distributions are borderline the same these days and they're all fine.

CentOS for servers.

Also, no linux is good if you have an amd/ati card lmao welcome to dos/windows 3.1 tier driver hell.

No kidding, my old system was AMD/ATI and I gave up trying to run a linux partition with all the drat headaches it caused, didnt matter which distro or "official AMD" drivers I tried. Had to use Virtualbox in the end :(

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

did CentOS used to be (heh) Fedora or are they seperate leaches on the Redhat Enterprise distro?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Wendigee posted:

did CentOS used to be (heh) Fedora or are they seperate leaches on the Redhat Enterprise distro?
CentOS is like the stable version of Fedora. They're both around and alright. Fedora isn't bad on the desktop.

Killswitch posted:

No kidding, my old system was AMD/ATI and I gave up trying to run a linux partition with all the drat headaches it caused, didnt matter which distro or "official AMD" drivers I tried. Had to use Virtualbox in the end :(
The worst is that it's not too hard to get it working, but it breaks when certain things update and gets real obnoxious to fix.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jun 10, 2016

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009

Khorne posted:

CentOS is like the stable version of Fedora. They're both around and alright. Fedora isn't bad on the desktop.

Fedora has a bullshit GUI (gnome? gently caress if I remember its name), idk how anyone finds that enjoyable.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Killswitch posted:

Fedora has a bullshit GUI (gnome? gently caress if I remember its name), idk how anyone finds that enjoyable.
When is the last time you tried it? It was a disaster around the 3.0 release, but it has come a long way since then. Gnome 2.x was great before then, and gnome is now great again.

Fedora also has releases with all the other popular environments that aren't Unity: https://spins.fedoraproject.org

But uh, there are lots of other distros so no real need to focus on fedora.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jun 10, 2016

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009

Khorne posted:

When is the last time you tried it? It was a disaster around the 3.0 release, but it has come a long way since then. Gnome 2.x was great before then, and gnome is now great again.

Fedora also has releases with all the other popular environments that aren't Unity: https://spins.fedoraproject.org

Yea, it would have been around 3.0, that was truly awful and I never went back, been running centos since, love that one.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
*somehow unironically, springing the trap* arch

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Wendigee posted:

in before someone says freeBSD

MacOS is pretty neat.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Serviette posted:

A dead linux

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
i have a feeling OP posted this in GBS hoping for a larf but instead a bunch of nerds came out of the woodwork to post about linux using their nerd boner mashed up against the keyboard.

I used Ubuntu then Debian professionally for a number of years. Then I got sick and tired of wasting my time loving with drivers or whatever update broke what so I went back to windows. I'll probably never look back.

Windows 10 4 lyfe.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
I dual-booted Mint as a stopgap when my Windows 7 distro hosed up majorly, and I've never really bothered looking back. It's great except for the three-hour process it took to get it to recognize the proprietary Nvidia drivers instead of the open-source ones.

The only time I jump back into Windows is to do photo editing, 'cause GIMP is total poo poo.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
there no good Linux

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Wendigee posted:

CentOS is free redhat so get that m'lord

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CentOS

CentOS is for people who hate themselves.

tomatoes and shit
Sep 17, 2015

chrome os

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I was poking around distrowatch and I came across a Windows alternative OS called ReactOS. Anyone tried this? Seems like a cool idea.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
FreeBSD is the answer. It's like a hip-hop operating system.

tomatoes and shit
Sep 17, 2015

Pawn 17 posted:

I was poking around distrowatch and I came across a Windows alternative OS called ReactOS. Anyone tried this? Seems like a cool idea.

oh dope

i've been looking for a more poorly-supported windows experience

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
It doesn't even use the UNIX architecture. It's literally lovely Russian knock-off Windows.

I'm kind of morbidly curious to try it.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

has anyone said hip-hop linux?

spathi-wa
Sep 8, 2005
hu hu hu ^_^
Lipstick Apathy
El Capitan

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Woden
May 6, 2006

Sintax posted:

I hear this a lot but what makes abuntu better than another one?

Lots of newbies use it so it's not to hard to find stuff on the net about whatever issue you have.
Apt is a really good installer.
They support the OS for like 5 years so you wont have to worry about upgrading for a long time.

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

Killswitch posted:

xfce ftw

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
lol if you use anything beyond just a window manager. enlightenment 4 life

if you want to become a linux expert use gentoo. if you just want to use linux use debian. if you shouldn't be using linux in the first place, use ubuntu

Gasbraai
Oct 25, 2010

Lictor my Dictor
linux is for human being nerds OP, do your home computing in between bouts of doom on your windows 98 gateway pc

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

corncob clownshoe linux

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
Always Beusing Ubuntu

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Lunixnerd posted:

linux is for human being nerds OP, do your home computing in between bouts of doom on your windows 98 gateway pc
It is not just for "human being nerds" it is for a lot of things, for instance I want to run a program to hijack the video stream on my Wii U tablet and I need to install a Linux that can run a program which will send out WiFi data's. Maybe try not to be so clothes-minded all the time.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

install all of them on seperate partitions, OP, then you can judge for yourself :buddy:

here's a handy chart to get you started

alternatively: gentoo

i did some looking for a current update and it's even worse (and not even up to date)

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007
that ridiculous chart got north korea linux on it somewhere?

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

that ridiculous chart got north korea linux on it somewhere?

No, It's got Red Flag which is China's RHEL fork but Red Star OS, which is another RHEL / CentOS fork, isn't on there.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Sintax posted:

It is not just for "human being nerds" it is for a lot of things, for instance I want to run a program to hijack the video stream on my Wii U tablet and I need to install a Linux that can run a program which will send out WiFi data's. Maybe try not to be so clothes-minded all the time.

OP we all know you are going to get arrested for trying to hack girls' Webcams in three months, don't lie to us

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.

jackyl posted:

there no good Linux

As a Certified Red Hat Admin, I can say with some authority this is correct.

Crack
Apr 10, 2009
i use osx, which is linux but for cool people

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
lmao richard stallman is still really salty that people don't call it gnu/linux

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

definitely this one linux and not this list of other linuxes, they suck

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Solaris, OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

• Locked thread