Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2635 »
Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Deakul posted:

Really? The demo sold the game to you?

The demo put me off of ever buying it personally.

Why? I never tried the demo but Xcom is really good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Disco MORT is on a safari

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Shadow Warrior: This game is my "OK, it's time to actually upgrade my system" game. On middling settings it is unplayable and on low settings it looks like total poo poo (I am on a four-year old system).

Wait, what? Do you mean unplayable as in the pretentious sperglord kind of "unplayable" where it doesn't look 100% immaculate and perfect and mind-blowing, or unplayable as in choppy and low FPS? Because my computer was a budget machine 3 years ago when I bought it and it plays fine.

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

If anyone was considering Gunpoint, it's on sale through their website for the same amount as the current Steam sale.

OneThousandMonkeys
Oct 9, 2005

The Strangest Vengeance Ever Planned

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Wait, what? Do you mean unplayable as in the pretentious sperglord kind of "unplayable" where it doesn't look 100% immaculate and perfect and mind-blowing, or unplayable as in choppy and low FPS? Because my computer was a budget machine 3 years ago when I bought it and it plays fine.

No I actually mean slideshow, I'm pretty forgiving to games as long as turning AA off and/or sliding down shadows or even resolution does anything. I guarantee you my specs are worse than yours. Four years is a pretty long time even these days when system requirements have been evolving more slowly.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

A storm is coming.

Technetium posted:

Why? I never tried the demo but Xcom is really good game.

The demo is just the tutorial level. It's completely unrepresentative of the rest of the game. I still thought it was kinda fun the first time I played it though.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Disco MORT is on a safari

No I actually mean slideshow, I'm pretty forgiving to games as long as turning AA off and/or sliding down shadows or even resolution does anything. I guarantee you my specs are worse than yours. Four years is a pretty long time even these days when system requirements have been evolving more slowly.

I dunno about that. 8gb of RAM, 3.0ghz dual core, and an Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT. And I'm running Shadow Warrior at very high, not quite max settings with no issues at all.

OneThousandMonkeys
Oct 9, 2005

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I dunno about that. 8gb of RAM, 3.0ghz dual core, and an Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT. And I'm running Shadow Warrior at very high, not quite max settings with no issues at all.

You have twice the RAM and I'm on a 2.4 ghz dual core. It's OK, I have to upgrade, I know.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

S.J. posted:

The demo is just the tutorial level. It's completely unrepresentative of the rest of the game. I still thought it was kinda fun the first time I played it though.

Oh, yeah, if that's all the demo is I wouldn't pass any judgements on the game from that. Game is awesome, top ten of 2012 for sure.

IM_DA_DECIDER
May 7, 2005
custard title

Jordan7hm posted:

Desktop Dungeons could definitely use a thread. There's a huge amount of depth and strategy to the game. Alternately, you could take discussion of specific strategies to the RL thread, where there's probably more direct interest in the game.

That game is soooo good. Screw all gods but Taurog.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

We're marooned on a small island in an endless sea, confined to a tiny spit of sand, unable to escape.

But tonight, on this small planet, we're gonna rock civilization.

S.J. posted:

It's kinda like the polar opposite of the original XCom/UFO demo, which basically put you naked and unprepared in the middle of a dark maze of streets filled with Chrysalids. That demo managed to put me off buying the game for years, too.

I think it's a bit of a tradition to be upheld now.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

Everyone probably knows by now, but Gunpoint is a really, really good game and definitely worth it at this price point. It's only a few hours long, but the whole thing is incredibly fun and it's got some really funny writing.

There's also a pretty good demo that shows off the mechanics and humor and immediately got me to drop $30 on the huge stupid version with commentary and a documentary and whatever.

As mentioned before, buy it from the dev, you'll get a Steam key and he'll get more money. Win-win!

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Bear Witness

So, how's Fable III?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Dominic White posted:

It's kinda like the polar opposite of the original XCom/UFO demo, which basically put you naked and unprepared in the middle of a dark maze of streets filled with Chrysalids. That demo managed to put me off buying the game for years, too.

The terror mission demo was the one that made me go down town at lunchtime to buy the full boxed game, but then you had to be masochistic for 90s game design.

Rirse
May 6, 2006

The Let's Play
Archaeologist

Tarquinn posted:

So, how's Fable III?

It's a pretty fun but easy action rpg that is very polarizing. I liked it (even through it not as good as Fable 2, which is still console only), but I might suggest not getting it yet due to GFWL shutting down next July. And since this game is a Microsoft game that uses it, there is a possibility it might not even be playable in a year. Still if you want to get it now and try to regain your crown from your wicked brother wearing a dog head and a dress, then go for it.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Bear Witness

Thank you, Rirse.

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

obliriovrons posted:

Everyone probably knows by now, but Gunpoint is a really, really good game and definitely worth it at this price point. It's only a few hours long

And by a few hours we mean "one", if you're fast and don't care about getting perfect scores on every level. It's really short but still really good. Also the plot seems to branch, but you're not really playing different levels depending on your choices, if you were wondering.

The Weeklong deals are up. Help me goons, how are Safecracker and Making History: The Calm & the Storm. Safecracker seems to be upfront with being 35 puzzles, I'd be cool with that if they're good. MH:TC&TS looks like a janky strategy game, will I like it if I don't much care for the military strategy in Paradox games?

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

I want to talk about A Valley Without Wind which is a bad, ugly game, but full of weird stuff and inexplicably addictive. It's kind of like an insane Actraiser developed by a crazy person. It is miles deep with content and full of randomly generated worlds. Apparently it's multiplayer too, but I could never convince my friends to play with me since it's so weird.

I don't even recommend it, but I just wanted to say how I can't stop thinking about it and I don't really know why.

Jonathan Yeah!
Jul 13, 2009

The Humble Store is live and has a debut sale on.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

My work here is done.

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Why am I tempted by Euro Truck Simulator 2 for $6? I don't even like simulator games.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Drunk Tomato posted:

I want to talk about A Valley Without Wind which is a bad, ugly game, but full of weird stuff and inexplicably addictive. It's kind of like an insane Actraiser developed by a crazy person. It is miles deep with content and full of randomly generated worlds. Apparently it's multiplayer too, but I could never convince my friends to play with me since it's so weird.

I don't even recommend it, but I just wanted to say how I can't stop thinking about it and I don't really know why.

I guess it's all about the potential the game seemed to have at the outset and how the game ends up falling short of it when you realize how goddamn samey everything feels.

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at Nov 11, 2013 around 19:17

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Darth Various posted:

And by a few hours we mean "one", if you're fast and don't care about getting perfect scores on every level. It's really short but still really good. Also the plot seems to branch, but you're not really playing different levels depending on your choices, if you were wondering.

The Weeklong deals are up. Help me goons, how are Safecracker and Making History: The Calm & the Storm. Safecracker seems to be upfront with being 35 puzzles, I'd be cool with that if they're good. MH:TC&TS looks like a janky strategy game, will I like it if I don't much care for the military strategy in Paradox games?

Safecracker is a solid puzzle game. No real story or anything, you're just put into a mansion and told to solve puzzles. It works well imo.

edit: hahahaha arche blade dlc is on sale. I tried that game once. It's so bad. I thought it'd be more like an over the shoulder moba style game but really it's just super lovely creepy anime tits game with a super lovely translation. The only good part about it was that one of the characters is named Dick the Megaton.

Seriously though, read some of this poo poo.

quote:

Renny Rich'Lich

The Senior General of Odessa.

The magic fighter who became an undead by exchanging her own life power with magic, she is also the lecturer of combat magic at Odessa Academy.

Originally she was a pupil of the great magician Guneil of Inshuerra.

However, she couldnít stand the darkness and dampness peculiar to the undead and was exiled to Sevenís League when Guneil founded a nation for the undead.

Officially she is described in that way, but she is also a spy sent to Sevenís League by Guneil. Nevertheless, everybody knows that she is Guneilís spy. She is considered as playing the role of unofficial hotline, as it were.

Since she is a spy who canít be allowed to walk on the street at will, so she was hired as a lecturer for Odessa Academy in Sevenís League in order for Odessa Academy to easily watch and supervise her.

The fact that she is a spy and keeps the position of chief captain is evidence that the position holds no actual power.

It is natural that she doesnít remain aware of being a spy in such a situation.

At the moment, she performs her duty as a lecturer while being absorbed in handling her fan club. She often appears on the stage of musicals and is obtaining overwhelming support from the people of her particular class.

She doesnít avoid the inconvenience because she likes being popular among the people. She became an undead herself, but she doesnít much like to be treated as an undead.

It's so terrible hahahaha.

There's even more of this poo poo over here. Don't play arche blade. Even if it looks like it could be fun, it really isn't. It's a big disappointment because the developers were so wrapped up in trying to tell their story that they forgot to make the game fun.

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at Nov 11, 2013 around 19:29

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

"More than man, more than machine, more than the fusion of BOTH!

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Holy poo poo yes, finally!

Euro Truck 2 is on sale there goons, you know what this means

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

So the Humble Store thing will be having daily deals for a little while. How strange. I guess this is the equivalent to Steam's dailies?

This is weird, because there's still no way to look around for things being sold there without that weird crawler. What an odd thing.

The White Dragon
Nov 14, 2007

a dragon that is
uh

Hey, can someone help me troubleshoot Risk of Rain? It was working yesterday but now it's giving me an error in the top-left corner of the screen when it loads, something about a text file. There's no audio, but the game works otherwise.

e: never mind, restarting Steam fixed it for some reason

Lemon Curdistan
Aug 6, 2009

Everyone with a decent computer should buy Natural Selection 2 for $6.

e; Wrack came out on early access today, but Desura still doesn't have Steam keys. The site says they're handing them out for people who bought directly from them, but no mention of people who bought via Desura - has anyone heard anything about getting Steam keys through Desura yet?

Lemon Curdistan fucked around with this message at Nov 11, 2013 around 19:34

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Everyone with a decent computer should buy Natural Selection 2 for $6.

That's a weird way to spell Chivalry.

OneThousandMonkeys
Oct 9, 2005

Technetium posted:

That's a weird way to spell Chivalry.

Chivalry is somehow less fun now that there are a lot of people who are really good at it. I miss the days of yore getting into drunken vanguard halberd fights.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
I'M SUCH AN INSUFFERABLE DOUCHE THAT EVEN GIP REJECTS ME. DWELL ON THAT FOR A MINUTE.

Chivalry is somehow less fun now that there are a lot of people who are really good at it. I miss the days of yore getting into drunken vanguard halberd fights.

Chivalry at the time of the summer sale was hilarious because it was a bunch of people screaming and shouting who had no idea what they were doing except mash 'C' and left click. Now I just die instantly.

What are the thoughts on Rogue Legacy?

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Bob A Feet posted:

Chivalry at the time of the summer sale was hilarious because it was a bunch of people screaming and shouting who had no idea what they were doing except mash 'C' and left click. Now I just die instantly.

A couple days ago I tried duel mode and just got completely destroyed like 6 times in a row. When did people get good at scream-and-flail game?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006
Teenage Mutant Ninja Cripple

I've finally bought Chivalry, and Euro Truck Simulator 2.

And I own a steering wheel.

See you in a few weeks!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Does Fable 3 still carry SecuROM or did Microsoft make the game worth the price?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Bob A Feet posted:

I really, really enjoyed it. Eventually you'll have seen most or all of the room setups, but getting a good run that gets you two or three castle upgrades is always satisfying.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Bob A Feet posted:

I really like Rogue Legacy. I'm also terrible at platformers and side scrolling action games so it seemed like I was butting my head against a wall until I could upgrade my progeny enough to make some serious runs. I'm at the point where I can clear the castle and forest pretty easily but typically die in the Tower. I still really like it, any run where I come up with enough gold for an upgrade or a new rune or new piece of equipment is a small victory.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

Dominic White posted:

That sounds completely reasonable...? It's a pity that more early access devs don't offer at least some kind of benchmark or engine demo just to let people know if it'll work.

I'm stupid and didn't see that that was there earlier, I just saw that in my Steam News today for some reason, so I thought they just posted it in response to a poor reception. I was apparently mistaken.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

How am I going to explain this to my wife?

http://www.ftlgame.com/?p=598

Free expansion for FTL?

Was wondering if when the devs would continue to support that game. Great news!

Guidos Python
Sep 7, 2009

Just a reminder for all the new eurotruckers dont put stats into eco fuel and stay the hell out of england.

havenwaters
Nov 11, 2011

He has a ghost butt, for one thing, a GHOST BUTT, jade!

Put your hands down john

Tezzeract posted:

Free expansion for FTL?

They're getting Chris Avellone to help with the writing for the new sector and some other content. Awesome.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Bear Witness

Tezzeract posted:

Free expansion for FTL?

Yes!

Maybe I can finally get the last ship I am missing.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Thoughts on a couple of things on sale:

Anodyne is a fun, abstract Zelda-like platformer with some awkward jumping puzzles. I'd say it's totally worth it at 3.40, but it's worth asking for a few opinions if you aren't totally convinced.

Archeblade is a lovely F2P Beat-em-up with lovely character designs that is still in Early Access. Please don't spend any money on the DLC for this game.

Gunpoint is amazing. It's an incredibly fun stealth game with some interesting mechanics, incredibly writing, and a great jazzy soundtrack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AASeTbHFvSQ

Go get Gunpoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008

To answer the inevitable questions:

1) Euro Truck Sim 2 is legitimately entertaining and relaxing; it is not a mass goon prank
2) ETS2 is a steal for six bucks.

Pick it up!

«2635 »