Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
A few days ago, I was at Wal-Mart when I noticed something in the vending machines that caught my eye.

It's part of the cast of Final Fantasy VIII, selling crappy fifty cent "Fantasy Jewelery" necklaces.

This got me thinking. Why would they choose these particular members of FFVIII to try and sell cheap jewelery? Did the company that made this make any attempt to contact Square for the right? Do they think they wouldn't be sued (or at least served with a cease and desist) by Square? Had the person who drew this ever seen FF VIII, or had they just been given a vague description of how the characters looked? Finally, why is Edea wearing giant bling?

What puzzled me the most is why would this be here, in the middle of a big(ish) town, and not at some cheap amusement park, or some small country? It's not the first time I've seen cheap unlicensed work, but it is the first time I've seen it in a Wal-Mart.

Anyone else here have any experience with unlicensed schlockery? Also, obligatory post about the amusement park thread.

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/comedy-goldmine/awful-amusement-park.php?page=1

Which has plenty of examples of unlicensed artwork gone wrong.

Vlaphor fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Nov 30, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Arab
Oct 21, 2008

Manic depressive goat fucker
Fantasy Jew

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006
My fantasy jew would be Nigella Lawson.

Berbil Snatch
Nov 14, 2006

Captain Arab posted:

Fantasy Jew

Where can I sign up?

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
Sarah silverman?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I am pretty sure they just mix and match on crap like that, some time in the past they made and sold some crap final fantasy 8 knockoff things, then after having the prints in the warehouse for like 12 years they just stuck it on something because it said "jewlery" and that was cheaper than printing something new.

Banner
Mar 30, 2008

The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss
Scarlett Johansson.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006
^^^^^ if she's Jewish then you have just blown my mind. ^^^^^

kmcormick9 posted:

Sarah silverman?

Her voice annoys me, pretty bad for a standup comedian. I guess some people like her though as they showed her crap here in the UK.

Holy Cheese fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 2, 2009

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Larry David

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I'm going with Natalie Portman.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

spader man
spader man
does whatever a spader can?

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

Son of Rodney posted:

spader man
spader man

Spider Person is awesome, it has 476.... then I don't know.

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

They have one of those at the local Meijer near me. I agree, it's pretty stupid, but that's what you get when you're talking about a company that sells plastic poo poo for 50 cents apiece.

Son of Rodney posted:

spader man
spader man

Spader Man UNMATCHED

Behold! The PolyStation

xezton fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 2, 2009

Psychosomatic Tumor
Jul 20, 2006

Son of Rodney posted:

spader man
spader man

Ha, as if the Shoveler needed any unlicensed competition. :haw:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Holy Cheese posted:

Gender neutrality spider person

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Holy Cheese posted:

Stickers. 476 stickers.

danoteck
May 2, 2005

Captain Pussy(little bitch of the 7 seas)

There's alot of very interesting knock off stuff here:

http://www.geekologie.com/2009/01/pssst_over_here_cheap_knockoff.php

The KLC one is hilarious. Don't have hosting to post the images at the moment but will later.

OK Some Butt Stuff
Jun 9, 2002

xezton posted:

Behold! The PolyStation

whoa how many stations is it

PS1 Hagrid
Sep 17, 2007

xezton posted:

Behold! The PolyStation

"Special Weapon XTD 802"

Wait what, it's a gun?

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

Ferrule posted:

Stickers. 476 stickers.

Amazing, I want to collect them all.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

I always love seeing groups of various cartoon characters painted on the side of rides at travelling funfairs. Where else can you see Bart Simpson, Superman, Bugs Bunny and for some reason Freddy Mercury all enjoying a rollercoaster ride together? :3:

Blueballs
Jul 15, 2003

Vlaphor posted:

Who says you can't get work with a deviant art page?

StealthStealth
Aug 28, 2007

dogs eatin' cake

jackhunter64 posted:

I always love seeing groups of various cartoon characters painted on the side of rides at travelling funfairs. Where else can you see Bart Simpson, Superman, Bugs Bunny and for some reason Freddy Mercury all enjoying a rollercoaster ride together? :3:

I can't find my knockoff Shrek dolls arrrgh. I won them playing darts at the county fair a few years ago and they were so hilarious that I had no problem laying out $25 or so to win the full set. Poor disfigured little donkey, if I dig them up I'll post pictures.

Anyway I've had this picture hanging around on my hard drive for a while, don't remember from where:

Dunno about you guys but that food looks about a million times better than McDonald's.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

StealthStealth posted:

Dunno about you guys but that food looks about a million times better than McDonald's.

Hell, the promo shots for McDonalds look about a million times better than McDonalds.

yoslow
Apr 23, 2006

Yo slow
A few years ago at a dollar store I found this toy. "Force Soldiers", if you notice the guys at the top look very similar to counter strike models. When I looked online, I found out the company ripped the images right off the counter strike website.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

xezton posted:

Behold! The PolyStation

Dr. Ashen reviewing this and many more.

V. funny. Would watch again.

hamilton
Mar 14, 2009

WRONG TURN ASSHOLE

StealthStealth posted:

Is there a little kid stealing money out of that guys pocket?

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
I love these threads.

I swear I find myself going into 99 cent stores just to look for stuff like this.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Milky_Sauce posted:

I love these threads.

I swear I find myself going into 99 cent stores just to look for stuff like this.
Robert Cop.

God, that's so fantastic.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Milky_Sauce posted:

Part Man. Part Machine.
All Bob.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

StealthStealth posted:

Actually McDonalds has an Arabic branch :eng101: The food is pretty good but it's just heat-lamped versions of other dishes you can get cooked fresh

Gogo Logo
Nov 11, 2008
I don't have a picture of it, but once while in some Chinese import store somewhere in Eastern Europe, I saw this pink children's backpack with two zippered tiers. The top tear had the BATMAN title in proper font on it.

The bottom tier?

A picture of Spiderman fighting Venom.

DRD
Aug 8, 2008

Sometimes you can't decide which Super Hero to represent. Its good to diversify

TommyFilth
Aug 25, 2000

by Ozma

Holy Cheese posted:

Ferrule posted:

Stickers. 476 stickers.

What I'd like to know is, are they Spader-Man stickers, or Spider Person stickers?

jackhunter64 posted:

I love the total disregard to perspective or even basic human anatomy.

TommyFilth fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 2, 2009

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH

Girdox posted:

Actually McDonalds has an Arabic branch :eng101: The food is pretty good but it's just heat-lamped versions of other dishes you can get cooked fresh

I stopped at an Indian McDonald's on the way to the Taj and got a Big Mac. It was pretty much recognizable as a Big Mac but with spicy chicken instead of beef. Quite good actually.

However, I passed on the "McAloo Surprise", because it's never a good idea to consume anything in India (or from McDonald's for that matter) with the word "surprise" in the name

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Vlaphor posted:

Cheap-rear end $.50 bling

I like to imagine this is where Fiddy Cent got his name, from obsessively buying that poo poo as a kid and acting all gangsta in his chintzy baubles.

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

TommyFilth posted:

What I'd like to know is, are they Spader-Man stickers, or Spider Person stickers?

I love the total disregard to perspective or even basic human anatomy.

batman is pretty loving smug he had that gun. :smug:

ih8ualot
May 20, 2004
I like turkey and ham sandwiches

Sardine Wit posted:

batman is pretty loving smug he had that gun. :smug:

He doesn't really "have" that gun so much as a gun is matriculating out of his poorly-grown digits.

Edit: here's another from that series:

ih8ualot fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 2, 2009

TommyFilth
Aug 25, 2000

by Ozma
^^ Chris O'Donnell's retarded cousin ^^

ih8ualot posted:

He doesn't really "have" that gun so much as a gun is matriculating out of his poorly-grown digits.

Likewise, he's not so much "smug" as he is facially deformed in such a way that he cannot help looking smug.

TommyFilth fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 2, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheap Vodka
Nov 4, 2008

COMPLETE. GLOBAL. CALIBRATION.

THE NARUTO