Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Legends speak of a Colossal Cave that extends deep underground, so twisted by time that its passages shift like the sand under which it lies... the Cave is said to be filled with fabulous treasures, but also incredible danger!

The once-popular retro-styled platformer/roguelike hybrid, Spelunky, has arrived on XBLA with a brand new coat of paint and tons of new features, including both co-op and competitive multiplayer modes!

What is Spelunky?
Spelunky is a the bastard lovechild of a roguelike and a platformer, hair-pullingly frustrating but mind-crushingly addicting. It was created by Derek Yu and originally self-published for PC. The PC version is still available absolutely loving free, and if you've never played the game before, you owe it to yourself to give it a shot.

Spelunky features randomly generated levels, which means two things: No two games will ever be quite the same, and every game is going to be incredibly difficult.

There's no plot to be had here, or at least very little. You're an Indiana Jones-esque explorer who stumbles across a temple or dungeon of some sort and, well, explores it. There's no clear plot-related goal, you just want to make it to the exit of each level with as much gold and gems as you can carry, and eventually face off against the game's final boss, and that's it.

But survival and riches are all the motivation you need, and more. The world of Spelunky is filled with all manner of crazy items, bizzare rules, and well-hidden secrets. Who are all these shopkeepers, anyway? Why do all these maidens need to be rescued? Are the curses and blessings you're receiving from these alters real, or just there to mess with your head (spoiler: they're real)? If you want to read into the world, you can. You just won't want to. You'll be too busy chucking bombs at spiders and whipping snakes.

How does Spelunky work?
You start the game with a handful of supplies, which you can use to interact with the world:
* Your whip, which you will never lose, can be used to attack enemies
* Some bombs, which you can use to blast holes in the environment, dig out gems, and attack enemies
* Some ropes, which you can use to create ladders

As Spelunky is a platformer, you can perform the sorts of actions you'd expect; you can move to the right or the left, you can jump, you can duck, you can look up. You can collect items along the way and use them. Some items can be worn, and others need to be held, limiting what you can do while you have them.

Everything in Spelunky is hostile, and everything is out to get you (except maybe the maidens). You can and will die horribly, over and over, and there's not much you can do about it.

Almost anything in the world can be picked up, and then used as a throwing weapon. You can only carry one thing, however, and often the choice is difficult. You'll want that shotgun for obvious reasons, but bringing a gold idol to the exit with you can provide a ton of extra cash, and if you're low on health, you're going to want to rescue that helpless maiden. Maybe you can drop them off first, then go back for the rest. But will you have enough time? Patience? Health?

What's new in the XBLA version?
New enemies, new environments, new items, new weapons, new everything! The XBLA version of Spelunky retains the gameplay and setting of the original, but adds more of all the things you'd come to expect from the game. It also brings with it brand new hand-drawn graphics and both co-op and competitive multiplayer features.

Spelunky costs 1200 microsoft points, which is $15.00. For more information, more screenshots, and :siren:an absolutely free download for the PC version of the game:siren:, check out the official Spelunky website

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jul 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Here's the original thread from 2008 in the archives if anyone wants to travel back in time: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3045033

I am unreasonably excited for this. It's been 4 years.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I will say, you can play as the damsel too. Spelunky is an equal opportunity bloodletting simulator. :colbert:

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Is there a full list of all the new additions to the game? Some of those preview screens show things like giant rear end pirahna and bees. I'm kind of curious about all the new stuff they might've added.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Nahxela posted:

Is there a full list of all the new additions to the game? Some of those preview screens show things like giant rear end pirahna and bees. I'm kind of curious about all the new stuff they might've added.

Not that I could find, but I'm sure some of it is supposed to be "secret." We'll start seeing stuff get listed when the game releases proper.

Also, I'm pretty sure giant pirahna were in the original game.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Funkmaster General posted:

Not that I could find, but I'm sure some of it is supposed to be "secret." We'll start seeing stuff get listed when the game releases proper.

Anyone playing for the first time, try to go in fairly blind. There are a lot of fun surprises to be had and learning things as you go is half the fun.

This is one of those handful of times I regret getting a PS3 over a 360. Only slightly, since at least I can still play the original PC version, and I still haven't seen all it has to offer.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I forget how long XBLA exclusivity lasts (three months?), but has anyone heard of a port to Steam after the exclusivity contract ends?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I think every single review I've seen of the 360 version is in the 90-100% score bracket. Usually the upper ranges of it, too. I am obscenely jealous of all those folks writing for larger sites who have 360 dev-boxes and managed to get early access, as it really does sound like everything that made the original fantastic, but even better.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jul 4, 2012

melon man
Aug 24, 2008

melonman-chan~!
Ugh, I wish this came out on PC. :(

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Dominic White posted:

I think every single review I've seen of the 360 version is in the 90-100% score bracket. Usually the upper ranges of it, too. I am obscenely jealous of all those folks writing for larger sites who have 360 dev-boxes and managed to get early access, as it really does sound like everything that made the original fantastic, but even better.

Me too. I've been refreshing my e-mail constantly but doesn't look like our PR guys are giving out codes, but I don't mind much. I'll gladly toss 1200 points at these guys for four years of entertainment. I just wish I could've been playing earlier...

melon man posted:

Ugh, I wish this came out on PC. :(

I bet it will. I read somewhere that the 360 port was done in XNA, which would make porting an EXTREMELY easy job. Not quite as easy as pressing "build for Windows" but almost. And Microsoft have traditionally been cool about 360 games being ported to Windows and vice versa, for obvious reasons.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jul 4, 2012

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Oh, that does make sense.

I think you're right, but I wasn't sure. The more I know :v:

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/Product/Spelunky/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802584109be

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

If your at all on the fence about this game watch this.
http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-spelunky/17-6295/

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Can you toggle between the original graphics and the new updated ones? It might just be familiarity speaking but so far from what I've seen I actually like the pixel look more than the hand-drawn one.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Farbtoner posted:

Can you toggle between the original graphics and the new updated ones? It might just be familiarity speaking but so far from what I've seen I actually like the pixel look more than the hand-drawn one.

No. I imagine this was probably considered at some stage in the game's development, but there's a ton of new stuff that they'd have to do new "old" art for.

marhom
Jul 1, 2004

bear is driving
God, how I've missed the random starting story text.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Haha, oh wow. I guess the misogyny thread tag was a bit hasty - you can set damsels to be guys. Or dogs!

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Don't have a 360 but I want to play the new Spelunky :( I played a bit of it at last year's PAX Prime and got some little Spelunky figurines.

Just crossing my fingers for a PC or PS3 release, although probably more likely PC. (Which I'm totally okay with)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Haha, oh wow. I guess the misogyny thread tag was a bit hasty - you can set damsels to be guys. Or dogs!

Or one of the three randomly.

Man the 360 version is great, the only thing I'm missing is the old music. I can still hum the cave music on command.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

That is a genuinely cute and clever little addition. Equal opportunities spelunking!

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

Der Shovel posted:

Or one of the three randomly.

Man the 360 version is great, the only thing I'm missing is the old music. I can still hum the cave music on command.

I actually like the new music a lot. The old music was good and all but I really like all the tracks I've heard so far in the XBLA version.

I am so happy this game finally came out.

edit: Man, I've been playing the PC version for so long that the tiniest changes in the controls are messing me up a lot. Whipping doesn't feel as controllable as it used to, but I'll probably get used to it.

Spaz Medicine fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jul 4, 2012

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
http://youtu.be/sstnikuPsIc

Here's a quick gameplay thing of the multiplayer, if anybody's interested.

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009
I can never have enough Spelunky

Although the new graphics really make me feel like I'm looking at some combination between paper Mario and Indiana Jones

marhom
Jul 1, 2004

bear is driving
I have died like 10 times in 3 minutes.

This really is Spelunky.

tamriilin
Dec 29, 2008

House was on this page when he got that annoying "I'm such a genius" look.

Haruharuharuko posted:

If your at all on the fence about this game watch this.
http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-spelunky/17-6295/

Yeah I was gonna post this. It's basically a perfect representation of everything awesome about this game.

The part where Jeff just (continuously) fucks everybody over, and the part where they first do deathmatch and their first thoughts are "BOMBS!!!!!" are just too priceless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJlPun8LQss&t=1890s Co-op portion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJlPun8LQss&t=2535s death-match portion

tamriilin fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jul 4, 2012

Pitnicker
Apr 6, 2004

Wow. I was bored in the middle of the night with a couple thousand Xbux kicking around in my account and boy did I stumble across the right thread. I never played the PC version and am going in totally blind. How fun :)

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
What makes Spelunky great is that under it's roguelikian nature is a really solid game with such satisfying platform physics and an overall extremely well thought out design. Even if the game wasn't brutal, and the levels were static, it would still be an extremely satisfying romp.

This version is great, but if I had one request it'd be for an option to turn on classic graphics. Maybe that 16 bit design wouldn't look good blown up in 1080, but it'd be nice to see anyways. The new graphics look really pretty good though! Much better than the other 16-bit "updates" I've seen.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jul 4, 2012

cursor101
Apr 22, 2010

(humorous Black Dynamite reference)
The ping pong ball physics of the boulder are always great for a good laugh.

I haven't played this game in two years. Now is probably the best time to pick it up again.

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

cursor101 posted:

The ping pong ball physics of the boulder are always great for a good laugh.

I haven't played this game in two years. Now is probably the best time to pick it up again.

The new boulder physics are so much more destructive. That thing loving books and does not stop.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

My favorite strategy has been nerfed! Using the damsels as a weapon hurts them now.

fishbacon
Nov 4, 2009
wonderful yet strange smell

My favorite strategy has been nerfed! Using the damsels as a weapon hurts them now.

Seems the damsels are much more fragile than they used to be, :(, I liked using them as a trap trigger.

Doniazade
Jul 13, 2006

by T. Finninho
I would say Spelunky is a fairly good game, yes.

Feeling so-so about the new graphics but whatever, it's all good.

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

Mr. Fish posted:

Seems the damsels are much more fragile than they used to be, :(, I liked using them as a trap trigger.

Yeah. You have to be way more careful with them in tight spaces now, too. I killed one because she was right behind me when I whipped a bat. :(

The biggest difference I've noticed in this one is everything is just faster. Arrows fly faster, rocks roll faster, spiders drop faster, everything is faster, except for you. You still go the same old speed and just have to be hyper-vigilant to not be brutally killed.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The Giant Bomb quick-look really sold this game to me. I was actually mildly upset I couldn't snap it up last night before bed but I'm gonna grab it in my lunch hour and find another great excuse to put off doing the dishes.

yanthrax
Oct 18, 2004

straight in wit da barney rubble ridin spinnaz
There are a number of changes that I'm going to have to get used to, after playing so much Spelunky over the past two years. Not being able to flip over an arrow trap to set it off, the removal of autotargeting for items, and the inability to set off arrow traps without getting hit by climbing up ladders is throwing me off! I kind of like it that way though, because I feel like I'm playing Spelunky for the first time again.

Thanks again to the rad goon who got these for me at PAX East! Shame Microsoft insisted they get rid of the pixel art design, because that's what originally sold me on Spelunky, but I'm growing rather fond of the new character design.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
I assume the levels still have a very short time limit before some thing (ghost?) comes after you? That's the only thing that bugged me when I briefly played the pc version.

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

Rapacity posted:

I assume the levels still have a very short time limit before some thing (ghost?) comes after you? That's the only thing that bugged me when I briefly played the pc version.

Yeah. There's no level-specific clock that I've found in this version, so I'm not sure, but it seems quicker and the 30 second warning is gone.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
The ghost timer seems pretty generous, I haven't activated them once yet and I've been dicking around alot.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
It's finally out now on xbla? Good. Now the wait for the inevitable steam version begins. I hope it doesn't take a full year for the exclusivity to run out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Oh geez they added giant bee hives to the jungles? Argh.

• Locked thread