Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Farmer Ben posted:

The difference between clingstone peaches and freestone peaches is little more than what you would think. For clingstone peach varieties, the flesh of the peach will cling to the stone (or pit), making it more difficult to remove. Freestone peaches separate easily from the pit, making it easier to pull out once the fruit is sliced in half. Some peach varieties, as we'll discuss later, advertise themselves as "semi-cling". As much as I'd like to tell you, our valued customers and random web watchers, that "this peach is semi-cling, not clingstone", the truth of the matter is so very few semi-cling peaches ever separate from the pit that you might as well not even make the distinction.'Rising Star' peaches

At the time of this writing, at the start of the 2010 peach season, our earliest ripening peach, our 'Baby Juble' peaches are clingstone. We have several earlier varieties planted who will also be cling. 'Rising Star' and 'Sentry' are next, both reportedly "semi-clingstone" and you remember what that means. 'Red Star' you will get a few more freestone peaches than other "semi-clings" but our first true freestone peach is 'John Boy'. From that point forward, all of our peaches are freestone. 'White Lady' is our first freestone white peach. We grow a mid-season clingstone called "Baby Gold #5" to make our canned peaches. If you ever had a notion to can some for yourself (to deploy some good rural verbiage), you can special request some Baby Gold #5's from us!

So which is better? Well, everyone likes freestone better, mostly because they like to pull out the pit. Truthfully, there's nothing about a freestone peach that tastes better than a clingstone. If one peach tastes better than another, it's because the variety is good, not necessarily because it fell off the pit. 'Rising Star' and 'Baby Gold #5' are two of my favorite peaches for flavor and they are clings, but I understand the preference folks have for freestone. Link

You understand it? No poo poo!! Who would ever prefer the bullshit peach? Also, why do stores not advertise whether their peaches are freestone or clingstone? It makes a huge difference to my enjoyment. And! I! Know!! I would pay more for freestones! Any sane person would!

You can sort of tell by timing though. Clingstones ripen first.

State Freestone Start Date
Michigan- early August
Georgia- mid June
South Carolina- late June
Texas- mid June
California- mid June
Idaho- mid to late August

This is also why the Damson plum is better than your conventional crap bad plum (sphereplum). Their pits are freer. Also they are tasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMOs & Welfare
Jan 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I know what you mean, OP. if I had my little way i'd eat peaches every day

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
indeed. all fruit is bullshit, op. eat doritos instead. your welcome

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

Pick posted:

This is also why the Damson plum is better than your conventional crap bad plum (sphereplum). Their pits are freer. Also they are tasty.

Ah yes, the Damson option.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
A man should never refuse to taste a peach. He may never get the chance again.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Moridin920 posted:

A man should never refuse to taste a peach. He may never get the chance again.

True

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
Oh man, I hear you. I loving hate trying to eat cling peaches. You end up holding this slimy, sour blob, leaving you with a good dose of anger and frustration.

Freestone peaches, though... :swoon: Can't wait!

Edit: Thought that said July, not June. They must be here by now! I haven't been paying attention! Now what, do I do a taste-test to figure out which ones don't suck?!

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Nectarines have made peaches obsolete.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

lol looks like an anus.

also clingstone sounds like something I'd call a dingleberry.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

JakeP posted:

not entirely true although they are very good as well

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
Just enjoyed some peach tea while reading this thread. It heightened my enjoyment of my beverage. 5

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax

a bone to pick posted:

lol looks like an anus.

it does

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
I Have Opinions On Fruit That Aren't Your Typical Goon Opinions

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

my favorite jolly rancher flavor is the peach ones wel thats my post

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
I'm movin to the country, gonna eat a lot of peaches

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

NecroMonster posted:

my favorite jolly rancher flavor is the peach ones wel thats my post

watermlon is better

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

Pick posted:

watermlon is better

You are one dumb bitch

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Truth be told I didn't know there was a difference until this thread was posted.

Also lol because most goons honestly don't eat fresh produce so the entire concept is beyond them. It's telling, funny, and sad.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

I SHOULD GO AND GET FUCKED
I appreciate a freestone as much as the next guy but 'round here the clingstones are usually tastier. I guess it's a struggle to ripen the freestones in Canada.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Why hasn't the grapple taken off?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Peaches are great, but summer is all about the cherry harvest.

The first time in summer I can walk into the supermarket and see fresh cherries, ooh baby, those Mackinaws are forgotten.

EDIT: gently caress this, going out to see if I can get some more cherries right now.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jul 28, 2014

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I was unaware of this terminology, but it makes perfectly good sense. Freestone 4 lyfe!

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I prefer the nectarine variety because the fuzzy peach skin kinda ooks me out. It's one of the few food hangups I have & the same reason I don't eat unhulled edamame.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yeeeeeeeessssssss. I love going to the beach with a big umbrella & a cooler full of lemonade & sweet cherries. It reminds me of being a little girl & is like the quintessential summer thing to do.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

JakeP posted:

nectarines are loving boss

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

Pick posted:

watermlon is better

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Peaches own and you should just eat the skin, it takes too long to peel, that is valuable peach-eating time

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

angerbot posted:

Peaches own and you should just eat the skin, it takes too long to peel, that is valuable peach-eating time

??!
were u demodded?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Peaches and women have a lot in common. I can eat a peach for hours.

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004

Blind Rasputin posted:

Peaches and women have a lot in common. I can eat a peach for hours.

came to post this drat you

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
I just use a small knife to remove the pit from a clingstone, it doesnt affect my enjoyment of the fruit

naem
May 29, 2011

They look like vagina buttholes

Guy Fleegman
Jul 8, 2009

by XyloJW

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

would

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

baby your pussy like a rotting peach pit

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
FruitOpinions.txt

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The first time in summer I can walk into the supermarket and see fresh cherries, ooh baby, those Mackinaws are forgotten.

EDIT: gently caress this, going out to see if I can get some more cherries right now.

Cherries are really good actually produce from Washington owns

naem
May 29, 2011

Traverse city Michigan is the cherry capital of the world!!

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Peaches are top tier fruit 10/10

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

JakeP posted:

Freestone nectarines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Pick posted:

Cherries are really good actually produce from Washington owns

Washington is the inferior cherry source. It sickens me that I can't get proper michigan cherries in this city.

• Locked thread