Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

Today's Game

Today in Baseball History
  • 1939 - With 15 of the 24 first-place votes cast by the writers, Joe DiMaggio wins his first American League MVP award, easily out-distancing runners-up Jimmy Foxx and Bob Feller. The Yankees outfielder will also capture the prestigious prize in 1941 and 1947.
  • 1955 - Baseball great Branch Rickey steps down as GM of the Pirates and moves into an advisory role. Joe L. Brown, son of the actor, replaces him.
  • 1978 - Gaylord Perry becomes the first pitcher to win the Cy Young Award in both leagues. Perry cops the NL honor with a 21-6 record and a 2.72 ERA for the Padres. Perry had previously won the Award in 1972 with the Cleveland Indians.
  • 1986 - The New York Mets rally for three runs with two outs in the 10th inning against the Boston Red Sox to win 6-5 and push the World Series to a decisive seventh game. The tie-breaking run scores on Boston first baseman Bill Buckner's error on Mookie Wilson's slow grounder.
  • 1987 - The Minnesota Twins, behind Frank Viola, win their first World Series championship, beating the St. Louis Cardinals 4-2 in Game 7.
  • 2005 - Mark Buehrle becomes first pitcher to start and save consecutive World Series contests. After receiving a no-decision starting Game 2, the 26-year old southpaw gets the final out in the 14th inning of Game 3 to record a save as the White Sox beat the Astros, 7-5.
  • 2007 - Hideki Okajima becomes the first Japanese-born player to pitch in the World Series. The former Nippon Ham Fighters hurler comes out of the bullpen in relief of Curt Schilling and retires seven straight Rockies, including Kazuo Matsui, making it the first time Japanese natives have faced one another in the Fall Classic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malaclypse
Sep 12, 2000

alone in the dark and scared always scared as hell
LETS GO GIANT SPACEBALL

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Royals
SS Alcides Escobar
LF Alex Gordon
RF Lorenzo Cain
1B Eric Hosmer
3B Mike Moustakas
2B Omar Infante
C Salvador Perez
CF Jarrod Dyson
SP Jason Vargas

Giants
CF Gregor Blanco
2B Joe Panik
C Buster Posey
RF Hunter Pence
3B Pablo Sandoval
1B Brandon Belt
LF Juan Perez
SS Brandon Crawford
SP Ryan Vogelsong

Royals lineup is the same as last night. Giants going with Juan Perez in left, not Mike Morse, vs. the LHP. Personally I'd rather have Morse get a couple ABs off Vargas than just one off KC's pen. But it's a close call and maybe Morse's oblique isn't 100% yet.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

The Pussy Boss posted:

Royals lineup is the same as last night. Giants going with Juan Perez in left, not Mike Morse, vs. the LHP. Personally I'd rather have Morse get a couple ABs off Vargas than just one off KC's pen. But it's a close call and maybe Morse's oblique isn't 100% yet.

Yeah it seems they really don't want Morse running, in KC they said they were willing to lose the DH by pinch-running Juan Perez for him if need be.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Its my first WSGDT....be gentle.

Can I bandwagon on the royals?

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

gently caress yeah Santana. GO GIANTS!

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

fox crew being rightfully assaulted by errant streamers

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Rabble posted:

It's basically Giants fans vs the world from what I can tell in these threads. But there are lots of Giants fans so it ends up being close to even.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Rabble posted:

Almost everyone that is not a Giants fan has bandwagoned the Royals

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Giants have been losing because ive been too busy watching the game instead of posting Barry pictures in an internet forum's dedicated WS thread.

Go Giants!

Malaclypse
Sep 12, 2000

Vogey will save us :haw:

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

Reynolds wearing orange.

it is foretold

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

poopzilla posted:

Reynolds wearing orange.

it is foretold

Some Giant is going to get gunned out at home on an impossible throw?

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
I just found my wallet that has been missing since the Royals won the ALCS. So I just made an emergency booze run.

I'm loving ready. Let's do this Royals.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
I dont know why but I have a feeling the Royals are gonna win big tonight

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

Some Giant is going to get gunned out at home on an impossible throw?

hussshh

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Slow night at work so I should be able to watch a bit more of the game tonight :toot:

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

First time a World Series game is started by two pitchers with names that start with V!

What a completely useless statistic.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Ammat The Ankh posted:

First time a World Series game is started by two pitchers with names that start with V!

What a completely useless statistic.

Yeah we've finally found a statistic so useless even a national broadcast team can't take it seriously.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
His name starts with a V? I've been pronouncing it "Bogelsong"

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Oh man we might have good Vogey tonight?

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.
That's terrific Fox. The one thing I wanted to see in a replay is you three shuffling around in your seats.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Baseball!

You guys got an IRC channel or just #sports?

Malaclypse
Sep 12, 2000

a fine start

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

93 mph

i dunno where vogey found this extra zip on his fastball this october but i like it

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Nice start. Now score some runs, Gigantes.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

And he strikes out two lefties in the first inning. Hells yes, if he can keep their LHH's in check this could be a real nice start

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Still think Duffy should be pitching here but Vargas worked out earlier I guess.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Does Vargas always look like he just woke up?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Yeah I think that's just the way his face works.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Vargas sucks. Take him out!

Malaclypse
Sep 12, 2000

stol't

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
An inauspicious start.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

With a better throw that would've been bad for Blanco.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Man if that was a better throw he woulda been out

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
In the end it's like he got the bunt down I guess.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Good ol' Giants mudball.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Giants can barely steal on a passed ball. Just stop.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ammat The Ankh posted:

With a better throw that would've been bad for Blanco.

"he thinks he would have had him with a better throw"

Well that's because he would have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malaclypse
Sep 12, 2000

what? ahahaa rad!

• Locked thread