Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.
University of Tampa Spartans - 6
Philadelphia Phillies Professional Baseball Club - 2

Important Dates
Tue, March 3rd - Grapefruit and Cactus Leagues begin play

Spring Training GDT is here

Complete Spring Training Schedule is here

Tedd_Not_Ed fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
I'm ready for fake baseball :toot:

Pastrymancy fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 2, 2015

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pastrymancy posted:

I'm ready for fake baseball :toot:

I too am very ready for baseball-ish

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
AAAA Baseball.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
A bunch of scrubs in Phillies uniforms lost to a college team :laffo:

I'm more interested by the guy named just "Paul" in the box score, though.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Maybe he's from Brazil.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

Spoeank posted:

A bunch of scrubs in Phillies uniforms lost to a college team :laffo:

Not just a college team, a Division II College team

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Spoeank posted:

"I feel like I got two pretty hellacious pitches — my fastball and my curveball"

:ms:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Phillies taking the bold move of establishing a baseline so low they literally can only improve, let's see how it pays off.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

uhh were there any big leaguers on this philly team?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Hasn't this happened to the Pirates a few times where we lost to some college team?

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Abel Wingnut posted:

"uhh were there any big leaguers on this philly team?" - Ruben Amaro, October 1, 2014

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Abel Wingnut posted:

uhh were there any big leaguers on this philly team?

Darin Ruf? Miscast utility man Cesar Hernandez. And remember Brian Bogusevic?

Otherwise it was the Iron Pigs' bench. The most remarkable thing is that Phillippe Aumont failed to walk anyone.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
Jeanmar Gomez used to be on the Pirates.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Somebody posted the pitching box score. And Jordan Danks somehow lasted bits of three years with the White Sox, but c'mon.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Apparently Michael Saunders had 60% of his meniscus removed in surgery, which will make his recovery much faster, and he'll only be out 5-6 weeks. He'll be fine in the short term, but he's probably gonna suffer from arthritis in his older years :smith:

teknetik
Jan 13, 2010

SO
JEWISH
Anyone wanna link me to the mlb.tv thread?

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
Yo

The Born Approx.
Oct 30, 2011
Not that I paid close attention before, but for the first time ever I'm noticing Minnie Minoso's last name alternatively being spelled "Miñoso." Which is correct? I've never heard anyone pronounce it with the ñ, at least not that I can remember.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
N: Alex Guerrero will refuse assignment to the minor leagues.

V: Maybe we can package him with Ethier in a trade? Guerrero and Ethier to the Jays for prospects. Ethier could platoon with Viciedo, and Guerrero could DH with Encarnacion at first. Boom.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Am I blind and missing it, or is this thread doubling as the MLB March N/V thread?

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"
<<< Jays fan that would be amenable to a proposed deal along these terms.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

Tony Phillips posted:

Am I blind and missing it, or is this thread doubling as the MLB March N/V thread?

Sure. Why not?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Tony Phillips posted:

Considering Opening Day is the first week of April, seems accurate enough

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

The Born Approx. posted:

Not that I paid close attention before, but for the first time ever I'm noticing Minnie Minoso's last name alternatively being spelled "Miñoso." Which is correct? I've never heard anyone pronounce it with the ñ, at least not that I can remember.

I don't really know about "correct", but the the original name is Miñoso. It's not his birth name though, it's the last name of his older half-brother and he legally changed his name when he became a US citizen. I'd assume that's when the ñ got lost.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Tony Phillips posted:

What purpose would another thread really serve?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

This thread is only talking about Sean Sullivan striking out Miguel Cabrera and how he's legit.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Are there any weird international games this year?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Dr. Tommy John posted:

<<< Jays fan that would be amenable to a proposed deal along these terms.
Get it done, Farhandrew!

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

MourningView posted:

What purpose would another thread really serve?

None, really. This works fine. Had just noticed that the Feb thread was closed and searched for a March one out of habit.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Is Charlie Brown the worst manager ever?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Spring Training Injury Alert

Corey Hart sliced his foot open on a hot tub.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

zakharov posted:

When I think of hot tubs, "sharp edges" is not something that comes to mind.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

zakharov posted:

Hopefully this is our only embarrassing injury this spring training. A few years back, AJ Burnett shattered a face bone in a bunting drill, and Francisco Liriano's contract status was up in the air for months after he broke his arm in the bathtub.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

seiferguy posted:

When I think of hot tubs, "sharp edges" is not something that comes to mind.

He cut himself on the blade of the outboard motor

Tedd_Not_Ed fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 2, 2015

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

ALFbrot posted:

Hopefully this is our only embarrassing injury this spring training. A few years back, AJ Burnett shattered a face bone in a bunting drill

This will always be my favorite injury ever.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"

camoseven posted:

This will always be my favorite injury ever.

His story checks out.

Now want a Glenallen Hill nightmare gif avatar tia.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Apparently Matt Harvey has developed a curveball out of nowhere.

quote:

“I always threw sliders, and I don’t know where this curveball came from,” he said. “It’s nice having that develop. I don’t know if I figured something out in my mechanics or if it just magically appeared, but it’s nice having that.”

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

ALFbrot posted:

Hopefully this is our only embarrassing injury this spring training. A few years back, AJ Burnett shattered a face bone in a bunting drill, and Francisco Liriano's contract status was up in the air for months after he broke his arm in the bathtub.

I thought the Liriano injury was because he broke his arm slamming it into his kid's door on Christmas morning, trying to scare them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

davecrazy posted:

Apparently Matt Harvey has developed a curveball out of nowhere.

Makes me think of Rookie of the Year.

• Locked thread