Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

The year is 1997. The rap wars are in their lethal sunset. San Severn and Mark Coleman are still important. New York and LA hosted some of the worst gang-related violence in the decade but not MMA.

And the East Coast-West Coast hip-hop rivalry rides again, with UFC Fight NightMorning 66: Edgar vs. Faber on Fox Sports 1! Coming live from the Philippines, this card airs at a special time of 10 a.m. ET May 16. Wake and bake, baby, we're going old school!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRfnWpV4i7E
Frankie Edgar

vs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWbXQQG9B6c
Urijah Faber

The ultimate East Coast vs. West Coast battle is naturally the main event. The Answer from Jersey will be meeting the California Kid, who is returning to Featherweight so he doesn't have to beef with his boy TJ Dillashaw at the top of the bantamweight division.

Former featherweight WEC champ Faber has never lost a non-title fight in his career, but former Lightweight UFC champ Edgar has been on a tear at 145, temporarily borrowing Mighty Mouse's record for latest finish by submission over Cub Swanson, exorcising a bizarre possessed scarecrow and having a Fight of the Night performance against Charles Oliveira after losing a clear but at times competitive bout against champ Jose Aldo. The California “Kid” however is 35, has had a long career, and is coming off of a surprisingly competitive bout with Bruce LeeRoy and a fight with Francisco Rivera he was probably losing until an eyepoke, so it seems likely that Faber is not vaccinated against the wrestlefucking Edgar is gonna bring this way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xzU9Qqdqww
Gegard Mousasi

vs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RijB8wnJCN0
Costas Philippou

Mousasi is known for his stone-faced, chill demeanor, and is looking like a solid UFC middleweight, probably. Moving back down to the division from light heavyweight on the back of a tepid jabbing of Illir Latifi, Mousasi had a fight of the night with Lyoto Machida, continued Mark Muñoz' current trend of dying in the first round, got tapped by Jacare and reminded Dan Henderson he was up past lights out at the nursing home. That paints a weird picture of where he is at in terms of talent as he loses to good fighters (sometimes not even competitively) and easily beats not-so-good ones. Costas falls in the latter category though, so unless the Cypriot gets an early knockout with his overstated power, Mousasi is probably the safe pick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM0-ZU8njdo
Mark Muñoz

vs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4l36YrHw2w
Luke Barnatt
This is Mark Muñoz' retirement fight because he wanted to be sacrificed in front of fellow Filipinos. He is bad now and he will be missed. RIP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSbZidsgMfw
N E I L M A G N Y

vs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0
Hyun Gyu Lim

Lim is pretty much the PSY of MMA. He's not the most talented South Korean on the roster, and he's probably not even that good honestly. But he's super fun and enjoyable in a kind of weird way. He wrecked Pascal Krauss and Takenori Sato but lost in a FotN to Tarec Saffiedine, although he managed to pick up steam and find moments in the latter rounds after his corner explained to him that leg kicks were in fact legal and the referee would not disqualify Saffiedine for them.

But Magny cannot be described - there is no language for such abysms of shrieking and immemorial lunacy, such eldritch contradictions of all matter, force, and cosmic order. A mountain walked or stumbled.

If I say that my somewhat extravagant imagination yielded simultaneous pictures of an octopus, a dragon, and a human caricature, I shall not be unfaithful to the spirit of Magny. A pulpy, tentacled head surmounted a grotesque and scaly body with rudimentary wings; but it was the general outline of the whole which made it most shockingly frightful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeB3eYk1Ze0
Phillipe Nover

vs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvFoasVNHXQ
Yui Chul Nam

Dana White looked America in the goddamn eye and said Phillipe Nover reminded him of “a young Georges St-Pierre.” Why we watch a sport helmed by such a dishonest and vile man I will never know, as the result of watching him fight is much like this video — a strange imp doing terrible things while everyone around him acts like it is devistating, to comedic effect.

His not-awaited return to the UFC will be against Yui Chul Nam, who earned a split decision victory over fellow Asian Lightweight Kazuki Tokudome. Watch this fight, I guess!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of-lpfsBR8U
Mark Eddiva

vs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgLFKWy04eE
Levan Makashvili

Wushu Clan fighter Mark Eddiva was expected to face Alex White, that kid I interviewed once who drank gasoline, wrecked Estevan Payan and then had a rough go against Lucas Martins and Clay Collard. White got injured, so now Eddiva is fighting Levan “Whootie Who?” Makashvili. Sherdog confirms Makashvili has in fact had fights, twice in a bad promotion I've at least heard of. What fun!

OTHER poo poo TO WATCH
Fox Sports 1 Prelims, 8 a.m. ET
Tae Hyun Bang vs. Jon Tuck
Zhang Lipeng vs. Kajan Johnson
Li Jingliang vs. Dhiego Lima
Ning Guangyou vs. Royston Wee

UFC Fight Pass Early Prelims, 7 a.m. ET
Roldan Sangcha-An vs. Jon Delos Reyes
Nolan Ticman vs. Yao Zhikui

Official weigh-ins, 7 a.m. ET Friday, May 15 on Fight Pass and Youtube

And click here to request a wake-up call from the UFC because this poo poo is too goddamn early!

Official MMA Snack Rating: Chicken Binakol, the least popular and lowest-reviewed Filipino recipe I could find on allrecipes.com

Ingredients
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 small onions, quartered
3 lemon grass stalks, white parts only, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 (1 inch) piece fresh ginger, sliced
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 (3 pound) whole chicken, cut into 4 pieces
2 young coconuts, liquid only
1 chayote squash, diced
1 tablespoon fish sauce

Directions
1. Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; cook and stir onions, lemon grass, ginger, and garlic until tender, about 5 minutes. Add chicken and fry until lightly browned, about 10 minutes, turning occasionally.

2. Pour coconut water into skillet and stir in chayote squash. Season with fish sauce. Continue to simmer until chicken is no longer pink in the center and juices run clear, about 10 minutes more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
i can dig it

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Hyum Gyu Lim is massive, bad at cutting weight and hits like a loving truck. He owns.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
someone give a path to victory for Urijah because I'm not seeing it unless Frankie gets hurt (highly likely, since it's Frankie) and Faber goes into kill mode which he excels at

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPJfJiikwuI

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

-Atom- posted:

someone give a path to victory for Urijah because I'm not seeing it unless Frankie gets hurt (highly likely, since it's Frankie) and Faber goes into kill mode which he excels at

I mean, Faber only has a few tricks (but they are cool tricks) and none of his tricks are going to work on Frankie so it's gonna be a tough night for him.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

-Atom- posted:

Fight is called off in favor of a competition over who has the evenest tan and sickest abs (bro).

Legititmately though, probably a hail mary guillotine. Frankie usually has one wobble in him in his fights and Urijah does hit hard and press for the choke once he has someone hurt. So it's pretty much your routine - if he can catch him post.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
also gently caress Luke Barnatt who is the shittiest fighter

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die

-Atom- posted:

also gently caress Luke Barnatt who is the shittiest fighter

Do you have any good opinions ever? Luke has looked great since TUF. He is training full time in the states now. He will never be championship level, but he has what it takes to be a gatekeeper for a few years

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Pwny_Xpress posted:

Luke has looked great since TUF.

Not even a little bit true.

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup
Luke Barnatt is cool cause he is big and goofy and he looks awkward as hell when he moves and then he kicks people in the head. It's like watching a dumb puppy pounce around and its adorable.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I like Luke Barnatt but he is fairly lovely as far as how he composes himself in the cage & his overall techniques go. He takes a lot of shots every fight, either intentionally or because he's bad at defense, I can't remember which one he admitted to but he did say that. He took pride in it from what I remember. When he does strike they don't have a lot of power on them and are sloppy.

I wouldn't call him the shittiest fighter, that's reserved for that guy Stephen Thompson knocked out a few years ago.

Mark Munoz from a few years ago would demolish Barnatt. These days though... geez that's a close matchup.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Bubba Smith posted:

I like Luke Barnatt but he is fairly lovely as far as how he composes himself in the cage & his overall techniques go. He takes a lot of shots every fight, either intentionally or because he's bad at defense, I can't remember which one he admitted to but he did say that. He took pride in it from what I remember. When he does strike they don't have a lot of power on them and are sloppy.

I wouldn't call him the shittiest fighter, that's reserved for that guy Stephen Thompson knocked out a few years ago.

Mark Munoz from a few years ago would demolish Barnatt. These days though... geez that's a close matchup.

I agree Barnatt is likeable but technically flawed, I disagree this is a hard-to-call matchup in that three months ago Munoz was taken down and choked unconscious by a guy who was subbed by Jon Fitch and decisioned by Ryo Chonan.

Also I think we may be wrong that Munoz is the nicest guy in MMA. Refs know him better than any of us do and they seem to let him die as often as possible.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
hopefully the Mark Munoz that showed up against the Barbarian is there Saturday

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Barnatt looked like dog poo poo in his first Ufc fight, but his second one showed he improved a lot in the 'fighting at range' department. Then he looked decent until he didn't in his next two.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I just remember that his last fight was loving awful to watch.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
I am so excited for Lim vs Magny it makes me shake

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Luke Barnatt looked good on the Gus/Manuwa card when he finished the guy he fought then went on to get robbed in his next 2 decisions but they were such bad fights it's not worth taking his side on it

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Lloyd Boner posted:

I am so excited for Lim vs Magny it makes me shake

You might want to get that checked out by a medical professional

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
i hope hyun gyu lim fucks magny up.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroache's Anarchist

Mean Bean Machine posted:

i hope hyun gyu lim fucks magny up.

shut up!!

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMscMrMfCYQ

Faber's tan game looking strong.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Magny is going to sleep early tomorrow... at 11 am ET.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Card starting at seven in the god drat a m is Bad Sad and Wrong Headed but I gotta wake up early so I can support my man Magny may his reign last a thousand terrible years

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

That's actually jaundice from wholly preventable Hepatitis A, which he refused to be vaccinated for.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
neil magny is ranked.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
He won't be after tomorrow

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroache's Anarchist

Lloyd Boner posted:

He won't be after tomorrow

indefinite suspension for devouring the earth and sun

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

the dream is over...

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
will watch any ufc card with a bunch of koreans on it

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

The main event walkout music is literally Death Row vs. Bad Boy and I have to miss it. God drat this early morning UFC.

I hope that Mark Munoz gets a win and retires because he's a nice guy and deserves a big reception.

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die
I will be watching this between bouts of home work and cheering for Korean fighters because I was raised by a Korean woman, also Korean fighters own.

edit: for content/proof of ownage

Pwny_Xpress fucked around with this message at 06:43 on May 16, 2015

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Who's your favorite rapper and why is it biggie?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Hey guess what's for ungodly early breakfast motherfuckers

Yeah that's right I got Extra Toasty Cheez Its, they broke street date on this extreme new snack food at a Local Store and from what I could tell this was the only box there

So Suck It Magny Haters My Breaskfast Is Well Done

I'm thinking about making homemade ~magic~ macaroni and cheese for breakfast and then crumbling these motherfuckers over it

here;s the recipe:

the word "hedonism" underlined twice

edit: the early prelims start in like six hours gently caress that poo poo ugh ugh'

DoombatINC fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 16, 2015

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Alright

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

In all seriousness this is an insane time for MMA to be happening in the PST time zone but at the same time it's nice to finally have the prelims and main event on the same channel for once

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

DoombatINC posted:

In all seriousness this is an insane time for MMA to be happening in the PST time zone but at the same time it's nice to finally have the prelims and main event on the same channel for once
I like the early start because it ensures that I'll only be up in time to watch the main card, whereas if it was airing later in the day I might succumb to the temptation of watching terrible prelim fights involving the cast of TUF:China and Royston Wee.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Bluedeanie posted:

But Magny cannot be described - there is no language for such abysms of shrieking and immemorial lunacy, such eldritch contradictions of all matter, force, and cosmic order. A mountain walked or stumbled.

If I say that my somewhat extravagant imagination yielded simultaneous pictures of an octopus, a dragon, and a human caricature, I shall not be unfaithful to the spirit of Magny. A pulpy, tentacled head surmounted a grotesque and scaly body with rudimentary wings; but it was the general outline of the whole which made it most shockingly frightful.

:agreed:

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Neil Magny was a boring poo poo fighter that somehow matured into being an okay fighter while having dimensions approaching Jon Jones' while at welterweight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die

origami posted:

Neil Magny was a boring poo poo fighter that somehow matured into being an okay fighter while having dimensions approaching Jon Jones' while at welterweight

I see this in magny's future though

• Locked thread