Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Welcome to Hill Valley

After your initial round-up and interviews, the five of you are led out to a large military transport truck where you are loaded in the back with Senior Agent Carlton. Agent Patrick Cartlon had an ill-fitting suit with a gun in a shoulder holster who would be serving as your CIA point of contact in Hill Valley. The helicopter was a perfect juxtaposition, high-tech and sleek and new-looking.

The flight across the country to Hill Valley, California was uneventful. It did, however, provide you all time for introductions and to share the information you had dug up before leaving Langley.

Everyone tell me a rumor you've heard about Hill Valley that involves a group of people who may impede your investigation. Biker gangs, a big-shot drug dealer, the local media element, maybe some crazy local cops?

You set down in the city's tiny airport, mostly used for pleasure flyers, in the early afternoon. Cartlon has arranged rooms for each of you at the Days Inn near the town square.

The agent suggests meeting at Holt's Diner in the morning to properly get the investigation underway, then departs in a rental car, saying, "I"ll be at the Hilton off the square if you need me. Just ask at the main desk."

Transportation to the Days Inn was a hippy called Bluestar in a van that reeks of weed. She spends the drive talking about the six times she took the Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test. While dropping you off, she mentions that you can get rental cars from Enterprise if you need one during your stay. Because apparently the CIA was too cheap to provide them.

After check-in (which was mostly uneventful, except for Paulo behind the counter making a fuss over Delfina), it was maybe dinnertime in the city. Plenty of time to get into trouble before your meeting the next day.

What do you do?

---

Please post your sheet with your first post and link to it in subsequent ones. Use Orokos for rolling with the campaign name "1.21 Gigawatts".

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
The Main Cast
Mary Sue Murphy, the Kung-Fu Sleuth
Rocko Mississauga, Board-Rat Gonzo Journalist
Delfina Fantastica, Glam Tough Lady
Ashe Jones, the X-Tech Vigilante
Dr. Gihan Maheswaran, the Holy Roller Honeypot

Supporting Characters
Agent Cartlon, the poorly-dressed CIA contact.
McFly, the legendary skater.

People, Places, and Things
Holt's Diner on the square.
Demon Hustlers, breakdancing warriors of darkness
Vera Peabody, a small-time sleuth of magazine fame.
Christ-boy, a sleazy would-be prophet with followers.

Citizens
Jack, a man who has some connection with some foreigners, and was trying to buy something from them.
Nancy, Jack's wife.
Civilians, paranoid of outsiders.
Jason, Bill, John, Patrick, Robbie, local boys about Mary Sue's age.
Paul's Pizza Pow-Wow, run by Paul.
Pete, a Science Editor at the San Fransisco Chronicle
Bluestar, the hippy taxi driver.

The Bikers
Sharkboys, who run the drug trade, including Leroy.
The Blue Wolves, the roughest of them, including Spin, Latch, Meyer.
Angels of Fire, a chapter of a larger gang, including Slight.
Hog's Trough, the biker bar
Al's Tattoo Art, the biker tattoo parlor

The Man
Officer Ruiz, a police officer who knows of Delfina.
Officer Donnelly, a police officer.

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 20, 2015

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
let's do this

quote:

Rocko Mississauga, Board-Rat Gonzo Journalist and Asphalt Prophet out for The Truth

Look: Man, weird, banged up, hideous ties

"Rocko? That bum? Yeah, he works for me. You ask me though, he took a few too many hits on the head riding that drat board of his. I sent him out to cover the Del Mar National back in '75, and he came back with a broken wrist and an article written on bandages with his left hand. He rolls around all night, that one. Looking for the truth, he says. Nutcase says that the street talks to him, tells him all kinds of things through the vibrations coming through his feet. Yeesh.
You see him, tell him he owes me three inches on those Starveya sightings by tomorrow."

Might -1 | Hustle +1 | Brains +1 | Smooth +2 | Soul +1

Thangs:
Connections: The Streets
"A lot of things happen in this city. Lot of things. Dirty things. Tawdry things. And you know who sees all of them? The streets! The newspaper vendor. The little old lady who runs the bodega. The homeless people who all look alike. The streets know! The streets remember! And the streets keep the secrets of the guilty! You got to get right down there to hear them, to hear those tales of vice and villainy, to hear the whispers and the mutters and stifled screams. That's why I ride this board, man! Surf these sidewalks! To be closer to the streets!

What's that? Uh, yeah, I did have my license revoked. But that's got nothing to do with anything!"

Credentials: Press
"You see this, you ape? You see it? A press pass! My golden ticket into these worlds of decadence and swinery! This means I can come through these doors and there's nothing to do about it! This is my license to thrill! Now step aside before I use it to cut your drat throat all over the early edition!

Moves:

Man on the Street: Half of being a successful journalist is knowing who to talk to. All Gonzo Journalists start with Connections as an additional Thang (they still choose a regular Thang during Character Creation).

Off the Record: When you interview someone with the intent to trick them into revealing more than they want, you may roll +Smooth instead of +Brains when Giving the Third Degree. Additionally, when rolling +Smooth in this way you gain an additional hold.

Editorial Assistance: When you contact the appropriate editor at your news desk and ask for assistance, roll +Smooth.

On a 10+, pick two: On a 7-9, pick one:

-The editor in question gives you detailed information about their area of expertise.
-The editor in question offers to help you with tickets or invitations to events associated with their area of expertise.
-The editor does not request anything in return.

drat Kids - When you avoid injury by damaging your surroundings you may take one Heat to roll with Something Extra to Take a Hit or Get out of the Way.

Sticky Fingers
- When you need a specific small item and empty your pockets to look for it roll +Soul.

On a 10+, you have it. Explain where you picked it up.
On a 7-9, you have something similar. Explain where you picked it up.

Gear:

Starting cash: $200
Non-armor clothing
Tape recorder
Portable typewriter
Steno pad and a pocketful of notes
Business cards. Lots and lots of business cards.
Skateboard
Pocketful of shoplifted poo poo

"Five lives. Five strangers. Five maniacs with a government mandate, set loose on a sleepy California town, hellbent on one purpose.

Five fingers, to make a fist.

Hill Valley, Valley Forge. What will be left of this town when we're done with it? What will be left of us? And how many fingers will be left on this Hand of Glory?

There's a lot of weird talk about Hill Valley, for them that got ears to hear it. Them who got ears to the streets. The streets still talk about the Tannen Gang, that posse of no-good owlhoots and the horrible fate that befell them. Strange things. Ungodly things. Things best buried in the past.

And getting back to the present, there's plenty of talk about the here and now. In thrasher circles, there's one name that keeps coming up. A skate lord of legendary skill. One name. McFly.

I don't know what's going to happen here. I don't know if we're going to find Emmett Brown, or if Hill Valley is going to disappear in a nuclear fireball. But what I do know is this: the street's not wide enough for two thrashers like me and whoever this mysterious cat is to ride past each other peacefully."

- Rocko Mississauga, personal notes

Rocko Mississauga strode manfully out of the Day's Inn, sunglasses glinting and the hideous tie around his neck a wartime atrocity. Lighting up a cigarette, he breathed deep, then smiled a broken-toothed smile. Time to go meet his people. Other pavement pilgrims. Those who listen to the streets can be found in any city, any town. He dropped his board and steadied it with one foot, then shouldered his satchel. He looked around at his companions.

"New town, new streets. It's time I communed with my own."

And then he was off, careening carelessly through traffic, blissfully feeling the streets talk to him through the rattling of his board, through the vibrations shaking through his feet.

Rocko's going to run his Connections for leads on Doc Brown. If anyone wants to come too, feel free, skateboards aren't really that fast and he never travels in a straight line anyways.

Connections: 2d6+2 8

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Delfina Fantastica

A Glam Tough Lady out for Fame and Glory!

Might +2 | Hustle +1 | Brains|+1 | Smooth|+1 | Soul|+1

Thangs:

Famous Luchadora: Delfina has been active in the circuit in Mexico, the US, and even Japan. She has held and lost titles but never her mask and her name rings out in the crowds.

When you encounter someone for the first time who may have heard of
you roll +Soul.
On a 10+ they have heard good things about you and you can roll with
Something Extra on your next roll dealing with them.
On 7-9 they have heard of you but nothing specific.

Moves:

Hardcore: +1 Might (factored above)

Always Armed, Always Dangerous: In your hands anything becomes a deadly
weapon. When you pick up a nearby object to wield as a weapon, roll +Brains.
On a 10+, Pick 3:
On a 7-9, Pick 2:
Then describe the object.
Basic Improvised Weapon (1-harm, hand, clumsy)
• It’s heavy (+1 harm)
• It’s sharp (+1 harm)
• It can be easily thrown (range close)
• It’s long (+area)
• It’s not Clumsy (-clumsy)

Tougher than Leather: You have +1 armor, either by your choice of luchadora
training
, special metal bracelets that reflect bullets or maybe you’re just too badass
to feel the pain.

Toast of the Town: When you announce your presence in the beginning
of a Scene, roll +Smooth.
On a 10+, everyone in the Scene stops what they’re doing to pay attention
to your big entrance.
On a 7-9, you can pick one person who stops and pays attention.

Who Looks Fabulous?: By adopting a Glam lifestyle, your character
has an outward appearance more extravagant than others. While you are
wearing your Glamorous Wardrobe, anytime you are called upon to roll
+Smooth you can roll +Soul instead.

Gear:

Starting cash: $50
Heavy leather mask (1-armor)
Folding Chair
First-Aid kit (2 stock)

Landing at the tiny airport, Delfina was faintly disappointed that there was no press or crowd. Of course, they were supposed to be incognito, but that means different things when you live and die by the mask. Nonetheless, a minor setback! To the hotel. A luchadora at the Days Inn maybe got a few stares, but on the scale of weirdness that a modest-rent hotel had to deal with, Delfina was pretty far down. She had been gratified from some of her earlier discontent over the lack of press by Paulo the clerk's fawning, and had graciously signed a hotel napkin for him. Everybody needs the occasional place to rest their weary bones. She'd only been out this way once, for a small promotion. Barely worth the effort of making the match, and that was before she had gained much recognition. There had been a rough crowd present, poorly restrained by security, prone to yelling insults at the performers for any misstep. It hadn't been the best of nights.

But one group had stood out--they had boomboxes which they would turn on periodically until security threatened them with the boot. They wore denim jackets with airbrushed logos and ripped sleeves and heavy eye makeup. They were the Demon Hustlers, breakdancing warriors of darkness. Delfina had gotten into an angry shouting match with one of them on her way out, but a confrontation had been avoided. If they were still around here...well, perhaps there would be time between stopping nuclear terrorists for a re-visitation.

But first! A diner. In the morning. A new day, one to begin sunny-side up.

(Delfina is going to do her evening exercises and rest up)

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
pre:
"In a world gone mad, Mary Sue Murphy is a Kung Fu Sleuth looking for Adventure."

Might: -1	Hustle: +1	Smooth: +1	Brains: +3	Soul: +1
Looks: turtle neck sweater, approachable, cheap haircut, short, sharp eyes

Moves:

Not the Average Bear: The Sleuth gains +1 to Brains (maximum +3).

Crime Scene Investigation: When Scoping out the Scene of a recent crime, you can additionally choose to ask these questions:
  • How long ago did the crime take place?
  • How many people were involved in the crime?
  • How did the perpetrator or the victim of the crime enter and leave the scene?
  • Who is the most obvious suspect?
Encyclopedic Memory: When you delve into your vast storehouse of personal knowledge while analyzing something, roll +Brains. On a 10+, the DJ will tell you something interesting and potentially useful about the subject that’s relevant to the situation. Then tell the DJ how you know this. On a 7-9, the DJ will only tell you something interesting. Then tell the DJ how you know this. Way of the Fist: When you utilize a Kung Fu technique instead of brute force, you may roll +Hustle instead of +Might. Thousand Points of Silence: When you strike a pressure point on your opponent roll+Hustle. On a 10+ they are paralyzed until the end of the Scene unless you release them. On a 7-9, a part of their body (your choice) is paralyzed until the end of the Scene unless you release them. Thang: Fame Gear: $100, non-armor clothing, Polaroid Onestep Land Camera, first-aid (2 supply)
Let's face it. A little town always has mysteries. It's a rule. And there's gotta be somebody to solve those mysteries!

Not the cops. Let's be real, here.

No, there's likely somebody nosy. Town's too small to justify a P.I., so probably somebody young. Somebody like Mary Sue. Problem is, their investigation needs to be a little quieter than usual. And the last thing she needs is some rookie local bumbling around what they're doing and making a big fuss. Vera Peabody is that fuss. She's gotten a case or two in the magazines, but hasn't hit the bookstore big time yet. Sure, Mary Sue would remember the name, but isn't thinking about her yet. But maybe a team-up with Mary Sue would fix that for Vera...

The air is thick with clues.

Mary Sue goes along with Rocko. "This reminds me of... the Case of..." There's a pause as if she's never quite been stuck. "... you know, I don't think I've had a mystery involving terrorists or nuclear weapons!" A pause, and she cringes a little in realization. "Gee, I better lower my voice when I say that." Jogging a little to catch up, she adds, "Well, maybe we can start at the town square! Or pick up some local eats! Or..." she pauses, turning to a business termed "The Third Eye". Palmistry, spiritual advisor, psychology.

She looks over her shoulder to Rocko, clearly having stopped for a moment his skateboard carries him onward.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jul 11, 2015

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

quote:

Name: Ashe Jones

Looks:
-Clothes: Colourful costume
-Face: Beautiful
-Hair: Long red hair
-Body: Slim
-Eyes: Intense

Might: 0 | Hustle: +2 | Smooth: +1 | Brains: +1 | Soul: 0

Story – X-Tech
X-Tech Expert: When working with X-Tech, roll with Something Extra

Bionics: You have been rebuilt, better than you were before. Thanks to high-tensile steel in your body framework you automatically have an additional health level, meaning it takes 2-harm to leave you Bruised. In addition, choose one augmentation:
- Bionic Muscles - Your muscles have been replaced with mechanical motors. You can run faster, and jump higher as well as lift, push, pull or throw weights greater than a normal person. When utilizing your Bionics to exceed human physical capabilities, roll with Something Extra.

Role – Vigilante
Its all in the reflexes: When you use a gun to solve a problem or overcome an obstacle, roll with Something Extra.

Eagle Eye: When you take time to study and observe your target, Roll +Brains
On a 10+ you identify a weakness and deal +1 harm against that target for the rest of the scene.
On a 7-9, you spot a weakness but will need to expose yourself or someone else to danger in order to exploit it.

Wake-Up Call: When you fire a warning shot to get your target’s attention, Roll +Hustle.
On a 10+ they stop what they’re doing (fleeing, fighting etc) and are shaken , roll with Something Extra on your next move.
On a 7-9 they merely stop what they’re doing.

Buzz – Thrills

Hooks:

Only Rocko Mississauga truly understands what I'm trying to do. I need that around me. Okay, sure, he might not agree what how I go about doing it. But he at least understands that I'm trying to fight back after what They did to me and my friends. Hell he's been fighting the same 'Man' in his own way. He's probably on my side provided I don't get everyone killed while doing it.

Mary-Sue Murphy's work may have put her at risk, maybe I need to keep an eye on her. She seems on the ball, plus like me, she's a normal girl who got pulled into crazy situations and rose to the occasion. Who knew what information she might have happened upon. That makes her valuable and also a target. I can't let them ruin another person's life.

Delfina Fantastica leaves me in awe, I need to buy her a drink at some point! No seriously, girl's practically a celebrity. I was actually half tempted to ask her to teach me some moves...

I've seen the heavy sighs Dr. Gihan Maheswaran gives. Maybe I should talk to him about his guilt. Try and lend a sympathetic ear. I mean, okay, my own guilt can't even begin to compare to what he must feel. But all the same, unless he does something to come to terms with it, it's going to eat him alive.

Stuff
-Staring cash: $50
-Appropriate outfit
-Hunting Rifle (2-harm, far, loud)
-9mm semi-automatic (2-harm, close, loud)

Thangs
- Signature Weapon: Magnum (3-harm, Close, Fire, Loud,)

My trusty weapon, a heavily modified single shot handgun, It would be difficult for someone else to fire it fast. But I'm good enough that I can reload it in under a second and keep firing. It also sets things on FIRE. FIRE! I love this gun. Its awesome.

It had been said that many times, it was the small town crazies you really had to keep a look out for. Sure the place had the usual mix of gangs and thugs. But it had also previously been home to a young charismatic preacher who’s rather unorthodox take on Christianity (which mainly involved worshiping him as a reincarnation of Christ, and heaven could only be reached by the young pure maidens blessed by his cock, so to speak) got him and his followers (nicknamed the 2nd Coming) kicked out of town. They ended up taking residence in a big old mansion that was owned by a pretty big corporation, Skylark.

Skylark was the kinda Corp’ that was into everything. Property? Yep! Tech? You betcha! Loans and banking? Of course! Agriculture? Well duh! Exploiting the people and international laws in some distant backwater country? Yes, but not that they’d want YOU to know that! The manor was an old home owned by one of their founders. The guy had passed on like 100 plus years ago, but the building had been listed as a company asset. As such it had been left to rot for years. At least until the 2nd Coming moved in

Despite having abandoned the place for years, Skylark didn’t take kindly to squatters. When their lawyers failed to make an impact they turned to the local police. The police who were bored out of their tiny little minds anyway, were thrilled to finally have something to shoot at! The resulting siege lasted about seven or so hours.

When the officers broke down the door piled high with bodies they were confused not to find the man himself amongst them. The story goes that he and twelve of his closest ‘disciples’ escaped and are still hiding somewhere in town. Waiting to take revenge on the ‘heathens’, the ‘non-believers’ who cast them out. Rumours of black magic being practiced by these creepy drugged out nutballs started circulating, but never with much fruit. That said, whoever started the rumour always seemed to disappear for a while, then pop back up admitting they’d made the whole thing up with no memory they’d been missing at all…

Ashe stretched in her seat, like a cat waking from a nap, all curves and grace. Sauntering to the car and dumping her heavy bag with a relieved sigh. Okay sure, the bionic body was handy for carrying extra weight. But it still didn’t make awkward bags and less awkward to carry.

The motel was… scruffy. Of course Mr handler man got to stay at the Hilton of all places. Ashe had stayed in a Hilton once, it was pretty amazing. She still had the dressing gown in her pack, though it was a lot less white and fluffy that it had been. She made a mental note to get a new one if the opportunity presented itself.

“Well, I don’t know about you guys. But after god knows how long on that plane I need to stretch my legs. I’m going for a walk. Be back in a couple hours at most.”

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 28, 2015

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

quote:

In a world gone mad, Dr. Gihan Maheswaran is a Holy Roller Honeypot Genuine Indian Guru and ex-nuclear physicist looking for Peace of Mind.

Look: simple clothes; winkled, kind face; bald with a long beard; frail build; friendly but sad eyes

Might -1 | Hustle 0 | Smooth +3 | Brains 0 | Soul +2

Thangs

Aptitude - Nuclear physics: Though he is no longer active in the field, Dr. Maheswaran makes sure to keep up to date with the latest developments and breakthroughs in his old specialty. He is considered to have the appropriate Attribute at +2 for any rolls dealing with nuclear physics stuff.

Honeypot Moves

King of the Scene: +1 to Smooth (already factored in above).

Nonviolent Resistance: Whenever Dr. Maheswaran refuses to respond with hostility toward someone threatening him, roll +Smooth. On 10+, they drop their weapons and take a step back. On 7-9, they redirect their hostility elsewhere. (Re-skinned "Angel Eyes".)

Another Satisfied Customer: Dr. Maheswaran has a salesman's smile and can convince anyone they're getting the best part of a deal. When he successfully strikes a deal with a character to Get What He Wants, he may always choose the option "They are happy with the bargain," in addition to the options chosen as a result of the move.

Holy Roller Moves

Faith Healing: Once per Scene when Dr. Maheswaran lays hands on someone that has recently suffered harm, roll +Soul. On a 10+, heal up to 2-harm. On 7-9, heal 1-harm.

Can I Get An Amen: When giving a stirring speech or sermon to a group of people, roll +Soul. On a 10+ the group follows Dr. Maheswaran's directions for as long as he keeps talking, treating them as a Small gang (Small gang: 1-harm, 0-armor). On a 7-9, he has their undivided attention as long as he keeps talking.

Gear
4 scratch
Functional clothing
First Aid Kit (substituted in place of the holdout weapon that the Honeypot gets... weapons don't really jive well with a pacifist holy man, you dig?)

Dr. Maheswaran stretched again as he looked around his motel room. Rather than join Rocko, Mary or Ashe, he'd elected to stay behind at the motel and get some rest before the meeting in the morning. As eager as he was to get this over with, he wasn't exactly keen on the idea of wandering around an unknown community after hours, especially after Bluestar had mentioned the local neighborhood watch tended to be a bit overly paranoid about folks from out of town. The last thing he wanted to do was draw attention from a group of concerned citizens who might misconstrue the team's investigation as something far more sinister.

Instead, he skims through the various takeout menus next to the phone. Selecting one from a local Chinese place, he picks up the receiver, then pauses thoughtfully. Stepping out of his room, he walks down to Delfina's room and knocks, waiting politely for her to answer the door. "I apologize if I'm interrupting anything, but I was planning on having a light meal before retiring for the night, and I was wondering if you would care for anything yourself?" he asks, holding up the menu.

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Aug 6, 2015

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Delfina heard a knock at the door. She paused in the 'up' position of a pushup and sprang to her feet in a rapid motion. Enemies didn't usually knock, so she just made her way to the door to peer out the peephole. After ascertaining that it was not the press or Paulo the clerk in less than dress uniform, she opened the door to the good doctor.

"Ah, Dr. M!" Her English was good, but she never had gotten the hang of his full name. "Yes! We must fortify ourselves for the mission! Chow mein!" This is accentuated with a clenched fist. "Please come in."

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Rocko Mississauga
"Mary-Sue Murphy, Squeaky-Clean Teen Queen of the Mystery Scene. I'd heard of her, of course. Everyone has, the way her teenage years have been serialized in a series of best-selling novels. The Case of the Shao-Lin Skatepark is the one that got me, and I've managed to shoplift every volume ever after, drat what people say. There's a lot of weirdness in those books, but more importantly, there's a lot of truth.

And weirdness and truth are my bread and butter.

I'm glad to have a brain like hers at my side. I might even be a little starstruck. But I need to remember that she's still just a kid. She doesn't know yet that in Nixon's America, when you pull off the rubber mask of the monster, you always find something even worse underneath."
-Rocko Mississauga, personal notes

All of a sudden Rocko's urethane wheels caught a pothole and he sprawled into the sidewalk, cursing and spitting. Standing up and brushing himself off, he stamp-flipped his board up into his hands, then looked up at where he had been thrown.

"The Third Eye" winked a sign. Palmistry and whatnot. He blinked and frowned behind his sunglass.

"Looks like this is where the street wants us to be," he said, as if this were not a completely insane thing to say. He lit another cigarette, then looked at Mary-Sue. "What do you say, hawkshaw? Wanna find out what the future holds?"

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Rocko & Mary Sue

On the main square, the courthouse was in poor disrepair and had been converted to a Department of Social Services. The square contained a few booming businesses, however, including Cupid's Adult Book Store and a Bank of America. Holt's Diner is there, too, run-down with maybe one or two patrons in it. You see a group of kids on skateboards hanging around the parking lot in the middle. They've set up a ramp or two, and they're practicing tricks. Mostly amateurs, but a few good ones. When Rocko faceplants, a few of them point and laugh. One even calls, "Hey, bud, don't you think you're a little old for that board? You look like my English teacher! And that girl next to you looks like the nerd in the back of your class!"

The other youths laugh along, and continue chiding you. So there you stood, the Third Eye on one side and the parking lot full of skate punks at the other. If there was one thing that was certain, these youths would probably know the low-down all around town. But they had to be taught a lesson in good boarding before they'd play ball.

What do you do?

Ashe

The town, while small, was still a lot to take in. It looked like it recently fell on harder times than the roaring boomtown days of the 1950s. The town was sprinkled with empty shop windows. Heading a bit out, you see the run-down Hill Valley High School and a middle-class housing development called Lyon Estates. You count one, maybe two groups of kids in groups of cars, either smoking weed or drinking. Just teenagers getting into trouble. On your way back in, you come across what must serve as the town's red-light district, with Al's Tattoo Art and a poo poo bar called the Hog's Trough. The place on the corner, unmarked, might have been a brothel. There are a line of motorcycles parked along the entire street. Certainly the sort of places you could have some fun, if you wanted to hustle someone at darts or get into an illegal street race.

What do you do?

Dr. Maheswaran & Delfina

After an order with someone who spoke little English, a young delivery kid on a skateboard brings a Chinese feast to Delfina's hotel room. He asks for maybe ten bucks total for the sprawl of deep-fried, sweet-flavored chicken, pan-fried noodles, and west-coast veggies to match.

About halfway through dinner, you hear a commotion from outside your room, maybe down the hall. It sounds like a heated argument between two people, maybe a man and a woman? Arguing loud about something, but in another room in the motel. There's a curse word or two that you manage to make out, and then the sound of shattering glass, followed by noises that might be someone trying to kick in a door with more yelling. So much for a quiet evening!

What do you do?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Rocko Mississauga
"Thrashers.

My people, my tribe. No group of young wastoids so effectively combine bad attitudes and self-destruction, and it is people like the halfpipe clan who will become the gasbomb-throwing maquis who will finally burn the infection that is Nixon from the White House.

That said, it is those same virtues that make them so difficult to approach."

-Rocko Mississauga, from
Two Feet, Four Wheels, Ten Knuckles (1975)

"English teacher?" asked Rocko, wounded. He looked at Mary-Sue and frowned. "Do you think I look like an English teacher?" Not waiting for an answer, he kicked off and skated across the street, unaware of the sleepy traffic.

"Listen up, screwheads. Thrashers do three things- die, quit or get old. I'm too tough to die and too real to quit, so you tell me what I'm left with." Rocko brandished his press pass. "I'm Rocko Mississauga, the king of balls-out skate journalism and that," and here he pointed across the street, "is Mary-Sue Murphy, the famous detective, -and I'm a big fan so don't blow this for me-" he hissed, "so now that I've established my press credentials, I'm going to establish my thrasher credentials."

Rocko shrugged his shoulders, popped his neck, then breathed out. Then he kicked off and prepared to thrash the hell out of the kids' ramps.

SKATE OR DIE: 2d6+1 7

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jul 14, 2015

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
What move is that? What attribute did you use?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Oh sorry, I rolled Keep Your Cool +Hustle

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Mary Sue Murphy

Mary Sue looks a little surprised as she looks after Rocko, before mumbling at a whisper, "What's wrong with looking like an English teacher...?"

As she walks after, she says, "I'd look out for that nerd, if she's anything like me!", confident. "Besides, you want me to dress up in the middle of a mystery? Where's your head? I have to be a little cerebral." She watches Rocko do his thing - which she hasn't gotten to see yet - and looks honestly a little surprised. They were an odd bunch, to be sure, but maybe there was something to riding around like that!... but the numerous bandages he sported do give her second thoughts.

Since Rocko mentioned her name, why not activate Fame?... with an 11 on the roll, already including Soul. Somebody here's probably heard of Mary Sue Murphy!

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Rocko & Mary Sue

Rocko hits the ramp, thrashing with the best of 'em. He slams an easy 360 up a quarter-pipe, manages a good grind down the rail at the stairs, and generally demonstrates that he could hold his own to the skaters watching. Really, nobody watching would call him an English teacher after watching his moves. Problem was, more than three quarters of the kids weren't watching his moves: they had flocked to Mary Sue, surrounding her and asking about her stories and mysteries. It turned out that a good majority of these skateboarders, even as "tough" as they'd like to come across, had read Case of the Yellow-Banded Birch. They spewed forth all sorts of questions: "What's your favorite kind of chips?" "Coke or Pepsi?" "Is the part about the knife juggler true?" At least two different boys tried to ask out Mary Sue out for pizza. Someone had even produced a sharpie from somewhere, and these street punks were lining up for skateboard signatures like Z-Boys had just shown up. After the initial excitement, the crowd died down a bit, but the line for signatures seemed to be getting longer: did some of those kids go get their friends?

What do you do?

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

QuantumNinja posted:

Dr. Maheswaran & Delfina

After an order with someone who spoke little English, a young delivery kid on a skateboard brings a Chinese feast to Delfina's hotel room. He asks for maybe ten bucks total for the sprawl of deep-fried, sweet-flavored chicken, pan-fried noodles, and west-coast veggies to match.

About halfway through dinner, you hear a commotion from outside your room, maybe down the hall. It sounds like a heated argument between two people, maybe a man and a woman? Arguing loud about something, but in another room in the motel. There's a curse word or two that you manage to make out, and then the sound of shattering glass, followed by noises that might be someone trying to kick in a door with more yelling. So much for a quiet evening!

What do you do?

Delfina Fantastica

Delfina freezes with chopsticks poised over a still-steaming container of mushu as the argument breaks out, and then breaks glass. "Dinner must wait!" She sighs dramatically, and rises, picking up her fingerless fighting gloves and pulling them back on. She dashed down the hall, fringe on her uniform flying as she headed towards the source of the noise. Hotel walls held few secrets and she very quickly zeroed in on the source of the yelling.

Flimsy store-brand lock chains are no match for size 9 ladies boots and Delfina took the door at a run, leaping up and dropkicking open the entryway. She flipped herself to her feet with a rapid flex of her abdomen, coming up with one fist clenched, the other hand pointing through the doorway. "Poseidon's beard! What's going on in here?"

Toast of the Town: 2d6+1 = 9
If there's a clear aggressor in the room, I would like them to stop and pay attention

occamsnailfile fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 14, 2015

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Ask me one of the questions from the list on p. 32, or you can wait for the update post where I describe what you see. I'll hold off on that until we get the Doctor to post, or maybe Wednesday, whichever is first.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
I would actually like to revise my move if I can--if I can locate the room where the noise is coming from and try to bust in and use Toast of the Town to make an entrance...then the Dr. or someone can Scope. If that's okay I'll rewrite.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
That's amazing and I like it.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Post rewrit!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Dr. Maheswaran

Dr. M frowns as the sounds of the argument filter into Delfina's room. At the sound of glass breaking, he rises to his feet, but before he can say anything, Delfina is already out the door and charging down the hall towards the source of the commotion. Smiling to himself, he hurries after her, just barely catching sight of her bursting into the room where the noise had been coming from and announcing her presence. Hurrying up behind her, he peeks in through the doorway before stepping in behind her, trying to get a quick handle on who, if anyone, is in trouble.

Scoping Out the Scene (+Brains): 2d6 7

Who is the most vulnerable person in the room?

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Ashe Jones

Ooooh! What did we have here? A bar! Full of bikers no less! Ashe chewed on her lip thoughtfully. She COULD go in and have a good time. Lay down the law and show them who was in charge... Or she could NOT do that and stick to the brief they'd been given.

Decisions, decisions...

Any other night she'd go for the former. But this was an important mission....

One drink wouldn't hurt, right?

Ashe sauntered into the bar, walking up to the counter, all hips, sexual confidence and attitude. Leaning on her elbows and giving the barman a relaxed little smile.

"Evening barkeep. What's the girliest drink you've got?"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Mary Sue Murphy

Mary Sue is a little deer-in-headlights. "Barrel 'o Fun... Nesbitt's... yeah, that's how he hid the murder weapon... pizza, really?" She's amiable, though, and patient, and then says as long as the crowd has narrowed a little, "Okay, gosh, I can sign things, but I have a question-" She looks back and forth, making sure The Man isn't about. "- I'm looking to get the skinny on a Doctor Emmett Brown-" It's a blunt question to open with, but- "He may a witness to a mystery." After all, the alternatives-

"Do you know the Brown family?"

"So, have you seen any Libyans around?"

"Has anybody been trying to make bombs lately?"

- nooope.

Looking to Give Someone the Third Degree, but a 7 isn't much... but I forgot Fame is granting Something Extra, which I have to use. So an extra roll bumps it to 11 total, granting 3 hold.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Rocko Mississauga

"If you want to get to the heart of the story, the blood and guts and meat and bone of it, sometimes you got to step back and just let things happen. That's a tough lesson to learn when you're used to punching your way in, bloodying your knuckles and biting at the throat like a junkyard dog with a typewriter.

But if you need to talk to a bunch of misanthropic boys, having a pretty teen celeb on hand is the best way to do it."

Rocko sat on his skateboard and drank a beer as Mary Sue handled her fan club. She seemed to have this well in hand, and so he decided to focus his efforts elsewhere. Standing, he rolled to the edge of the parking lot, still keeping a wary eye on Mary Sue. Slinging his beer hand over a payphone, he popped a handful of change in the machine and dialed a science editor he knew.

"Pete! It's Rocko! What? Rocko Mississauga! Pete! Don't hang up, you bastard! You owe me! Listen, I'm working something and I need to know what you know about some Doctor, Emmett Brown."

Editorial Assistance: 2d6+2 7
Choosing "The editor in question gives you detailed information about their area of expertise."

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Delfina Fantastica + Doctor Maheswaran

When Delfina kicks the door in, she looks upon a horrifying scene: there are two middle-eastern-looking men with automatic weapons of some kind, pointing them at a straight-laced white man in khakis and a polo. These two men seem bewildered, and even more so when you kick the door in. You can also make out the remnants of a table lamp in the room, and the white man is busy trying to kick in the bathroom door, where you can hear a woman... crying? When Delfina swoops into the room, everyone stops what they're doing and turn to you. Then you notice their eyes move to the large, non-descript metal case on the bed as Doctor Maheswaran follows Delfina in.

The man previously trying to kick in the door has given Delfina his full attention, as if caught in the act of something bad. With little effort, he could be taken down: he was certainly the most vulnerable in the room. But the two men with uzis turn them on you two and one moves slowly for the case. The other speaks with a thick accent, addressing Delfina, "We were just now going. Allow us to take our items and go. These two with us have been at a fight, I think. Not our business."

Ashe Jones

You aren't in the bar two seconds before there's whistling in the air. Nothing was quite as unruly as a 1970s biker bar, huh? When you order your drink, a man sits down next to you, full biker leathers with a patch that says "The Blue Wolves" in a 1-percenter 3-piece rocker set. "drat, you're looking good. New to town? I'm Spin, here in town with my boys. Say, let me buy that drink for you. And maybe another while we play us a game of pool?"

Spin indicates a whole group of ruffians at a few pool tables, and you can see from the inside of the bar that it's only one of three, next to the Angels of Fire and the Sharkboys. Each of which had, incidentally, sent their own ambassadors your way. The Sharkboys' showed up next, talking over Spin. "No, let me buy you a drink. This guy's a druggie anyway!"

Which, of course, in turn, got Spin ready to fight. And within the span of a few seconds of your entering, this unnamed Sharkboy and Spin were squaring off for a fist-fight at the bar. That's when the Angels of Fire guy slid up next to you, beer in his hand, impressive biker beard well-groomed, and mused, "They sure do like fighting, huh? I'm not going to buy you a drat beer, but I am going to tell you that we're the baddest dudes in this bar. So you can wait until one of them sucker-punches the other, or come play some darts with us."

Mary Sue Murphy

The boy who asked out for pizza seemed jazzed that you were still paying him attention. "Yeah, that old Doc Brown? You mean the crazy guy with all the crazy inventions? Yeah, I know about him. I mean, he built Bill a go-fast skateboard a few months ago, charged Bill's parents an arm and a leg. Listen, let's get some pizza and I'll tell you all about it. My treat!"

This, of course, caused several of the other young boys standing around to shout their own offers, from buying you a pizza to showing you where Doc Brown lived. It looked like you had the pick of the litter, so to speak, and getting one into a pizza place booth would give you all the time you needed to get your answers.

Rocko Mississuaga

Pete, down at the San Francisco Chronicle, didn't seem happy to hear from you. "Damnit, Rocko, who even gave you this number? Well, as long as I have you on the line, I'll send you what I know, but you have to do something for me first, okay? I need you to cover the grand opening of the Skylark pharmaceutical manufactory out in Hill Valley. They're apparently working with some cutting-edge stuff, real hush-hush, and I need a few inches on it for the local paper down here. So you agree to do that for me, I'll mail you the whole drat file I have on your Doctor Brown."

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 15, 2015

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Rocko Mississauga
"When I threatened to kill Pete Nygaard, I didn't mean it. He's an editor! That's what you do! That's journalism!"
-Rocko Mississauga, police statement, 1974

Rocko groaned theatrically as Pete began to ask for a favour in return. Who did he think he was? An editor. Right. His ears perked up at the words "hush hush" and he threw his half empty beer away in excitement, gripping the receiver with both hands.

"Pete, you dozy bastard! Don't tell me that you've stumbled onto an actual story? I'll take it! I'll run these bastards down to the ground and ink my story with their blood! Federal Express the documents to the Days Inn for tomorrow morning!"

Rocko slammed the receiver down, opened another beer and downed it on the spot. Now this was journalism!

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Ashe Jones

Ooooh, what's a girl to do? Three gangs of rowdy bikers all of which wanted her. Probably because they thought she was easy. Or they thought they were amazing love gods. It was usually one or the other. At least they were throwing around the usual childish macho ego trips. That said, it wouldn't hurt to have a bunch of bikers to throw at problems. They're pretty good at being distracting at the best of times.

After all, who could ignore a screaming bearded man on a motorbike.

"Boys, boys, boys! I'm very flattered! But, please don't fight over little old me, I mean, of course last man standing is obviously the hardest group in the room. However, I've got a better idea that'll leave less broken chairs for the bar staff to clean up!" She took a sip of her drink, it was sweet as a mountain of sugar, but had a nice little kick too it. Not bad.

She thought about childishness, and the best way to unsettle any macho man. Now there was an idea...!

"Lets play a little game. Whoever wins, gets the prize. i.e. me and the knowledge you are the hardest, toughest guys in town. Boys I'm going to need three volunteers from each group, and Barkeep! I'm going to need a wine bottle!"

Lets play muther fuckin spin the bottle with bikers! :black101:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Mary Sue Murphy

Folding her arms for a moment, Mary Sue judges, and judges hard. What would be the wise, King Solomon-like decision to make here?

"Alright, let's all go and have pizza together!", she finally announces, before gesturing to follow after. Wait, where was the pizza place anyway? Well, she's a detective! She can figure that out! And why get one story when you can get several? She may be missing the subtext of their offers, though.

Well, I didn't double-check what Give Someone the Third Degree actually did when I used it, ha ha, it's a learning moment! Well, she'll be using it to try and pick the truth-tellers amongst them and just weed out any tall tales, if she may.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Hey, when is this grand opening?

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Ashe Jones

The bartender passes you a bottle of wine, eyebrow cocked, as the biker gangs call for their best and brawniest to come play your "game", whatever it may be. You have, for the moment, managed to stop them from fighting. With nine bikers around you, though, you had better do something fast to keep them from each other's throats.

I think you should probably Keep Your Cool to get these bikers to go along with it. Tell me how and roll with the appropriate attribute.

Mary Sue Murphy

You pick out a few of the boys that seem the most trustworthy and end up at Paul's Pizza Pow-wow, just a few blocks away. Several of the boys look annoyed with each others presence, but not enough to fight you on it. I mean, lunch with a celebrity? What a chance! And maybe they could impress you later, right? So there you were, in a booth with John and Patrick and Robbie, a pepperoni pizza between you. "So, what exactly did you want to know, Mary Sue? About old Doc Brown?"

You can spend your holds over the course of the conversation to ask about these characters. The boys are Mary Sue's age or so, and they're mostly skateboarders and generally decent people. If you want, you can post a number of questions and I'll answer each of them. You can use your hold about telling the truth on a per-question basis.

Rocko Mississauga

Next day or two. It's going to be plot-conveniently scheduled if I can manage it. You have enough time to snoop around and ask questions before it if you want, or if you want to skip to that we can do that, too, though after the diner scene with Agent Carlson.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Ashe Jones

Simpily put gents, we're going to pay a game of risk. All ten of us, you nine and me, are going to put something forward that would be painful for us to loose. Something that is precious to us. Might be your bike. Might be your greatest secret, or perhaps all of your wealth, or your tv. The only stipulation is it's got to be at your own cost, and if you loose it, you've got to give it up. You refuse, you're out."

Ashe smiled and bit her lip, looking the nine up and down in a appreciative manner. One or two of these guys weren't even that bad looking. This could be rather fun!

"The rules are simple. We go round the table in a clockwise manner. On your turn, you spin the bottle. You get to ask a dare of whoever the bottle lands on. If they do it, the game continues. If they refuse or fail, they give over their risk to their challenger and are out of the game. If they've got more than one risk, the challenger gets to pick."

She crossed to a table and invited the nine to drawer up chairs, with the wine bottle placed on it's side in the middle. Taking a seat herself.

"The winner is the team with the last to have any of their guys standing. If you wanna beat the poo poo out of one another afterwards, be my guest. But at least this way, if you win me, you'll at least not be half dead from the attempt. Speaking of which. My risk. Whoever wins my risk gets me for the whole night, you get to have your wicked way with me however you want." She giggled shyly. "The winning team, gets my company on a more long term basis. As well as a slew of rewards from the other teams. As well as the full proof that you're the hardest group in town."

Okay, so she was making up the rules as she was going along, but what hot blooded male could say no to the possibility of free no strings attached sex? But that wasn't the objective. She wanted to see how far and how much they were willing to risk. If they were going to be of any use to her they needed to be willing to put it all on the line. Plus they were now standing with their rivals. None of them could refuse to pay or else they'd look like cowards.

- - - -

Keep your cool - Thinking quick (+Brains): 2d6+1 8

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

QuantumNinja posted:

When Delfina kicks the door in, she looks upon a horrifying scene: there are two middle-eastern-looking men with automatic weapons of some kind, pointing them at a straight-laced white man in khakis and a polo. These two men seem bewildered, and even more so when you kick the door in. You can also make out the remnants of a table lamp in the room, and the white man is busy trying to kick in the bathroom door, where you can hear a woman... crying? When Delfina swoops into the room, everyone stops what they're doing and turn to you. Then you notice their eyes move to the large, non-descript metal case on the bed as Doctor Maheswaran follows Delfina in.

The man previously trying to kick in the door has given Delfina his full attention, as if caught in the act of something bad. With little effort, he could be taken down: he was certainly the most vulnerable in the room. But the two men with uzis turn them on you two and one moves slowly for the case. The other speaks with a thick accent, addressing Delfina, "We were just now going. Allow us to take our items and go. These two with us have been at a fight, I think. Not our business."

Sorry for the slowness, fatigue ended my evening early yesterday!

Delfina lowered her fists in a swirl of fringe as she looked from the two men with uzis to the man by the bathroom door. The guns put a calculating look into her eyes, but she does not back away. "You two pendejos new in town? Travelling? Perhaps friends of local merchants? Scientists?" She asks as nonchalantly as she can. "It is not, you know, so normal to be having guns in a hotel room. Thin walls like this, man, everybody would be knowing your business." She gives a broad shrug, moving slightly closer.

"I mean we can't be the only ones heard that commotion, compadres."

Give Them the Third Degree 2d6+1 = 10

Spend one hold: Is your character telling the truth?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Mary Sue Murphy

"Oh, hey, this is really good, I-" Mary Sue stops and swallows. "Oh. Right. So-" She pauses, gathering her questions. "You said he invents things? What sort of things? Like that board you said he did a few months ago... what's that about?" A slight pause. That at least gives a possible date for the weapon development, then. It also means he was getting along for awhile now, until recently. What changed? Not the sort of questions she can ask these guys, of course, but she starts to file those thoughts away in her head.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Rocko Mississauga
"I love pinball."

Rocko leaned over the pinball machine at Paul's Pizza Pow-Wow, an empty beer glass precariously perched on the glass top of the cabinet. His score was nothing to write home about, but it passed the time while Mary-Sue did her thing with the starstruck teens.

The last of his multi-balls slipped past the furiously flipping paddles and he slapped the side of the machine, catching the beer glass with his other hand as it slid off the glass. Wandering up to the bar, he settled himself on a stool and slid the glass over to the bartender.

"'Nother glass, pal." As the barman poured ice cold Gettysburg into the glass, Rocko put down two singles on top of his press pass. "Rocko Mississauga, journalist and good tipper. As it turns out, I'm in town for a story, and everyone knows a bartender, especially a handsome one like yourself, is who to talk to. So tell me, friend, what's the word on the street about Skylark Pharma? I hear they got a big grand opening coming up."

Third Degree ( with Off the Record): 2d6+2 11

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Sorry for the nopost this weekend; had a good friend moving away that ate my time.

Ashe Jones

The men grinned and leered and got generally creepy and gross. Your game drew a crowd, and within a minute or two there are all sorts of risks on the table: bikes, club patches, handguns, one particularly nice-looking shotgun, and one of the assholes even had his girl up there. She didn't have anything on you, but still, she was there, creepy and gross. The game started going, and within nine or ten spins someone had lost a finger in the knife game, two had lost their bikes, a member of the Blue Wolves was out of bike and patch, and the Angels of Fire girl was in a Sharkboy's lap. The players whittled themselves from nine to five in the span of maybe twenty minutes with dares that involved knives and liquor and even a little boxing.

Luckily, the spins stayed away from you, until the Sharkboy who had originally tried to start a fight (named Leroy) managed to get you with a lucky one. With a stupid, half-drunk smile, he declared, "Dare! I dare you, little missy, to stick up Paul's Pizza Pow-Wow. I want a girl with a hint of crime in her. poo poo, we'll even keep playing until you get back. Bring us the patch of Paul's shirt, the one that says 'Number One Pizza Guy' and all the money in the register!"

The other bikers started howling at Leroy's idea, geering and egging you on. "Yeah, they'll keep playing! A dare's a dare!"

One of the Angels of Fire even threw you keys to his bike. "Use my ride. It's the blue one by the door!"

As you look these two men over and give them the third degree, one of them turns more bodily toward Delfina. "As I say, we are just going now. No business in this fight. We are new, recently immigrated. None of your business, though, I am thinking. We are selling wares. Now, will you let us go, or should we make use of these thin walls?"

He's sort of telling the truth: these two men are not directly involved in whatever disagreement is going on, only tangentially. It was caused by their involvement, but the tiff between the man and woman was not caused by the two foreigners, nor exacerbate.

You're going to have to keep your cool to keep them talking. Tell me how and roll it, either of you!

Mary Sue Murphy

You said he invents things? What sort of things? Like that board you said he did a few months ago... what's that about?

John started in, "Yeah, he's got this whole sort of thing set up where he helps people out around town. Bill's skateboard has these little pads you can push with your foot, and some sort of weird gizmo motors that make it go when you hit them. The thing seems to almost float over the ground, you know? But he's done other stuff, too, like a non-jamming garbage disposal and some sort of insta-cooker pizza oven for Donnie's Pizza Deliveries that gets orders out twice as fast. That sort of stuff. My older brother works at Donnie's, and don't tell Paul but Doctor Brown orders pizza from there all the time!"

"Hey, that's not all," cut in Patrick. "Jason's mom totally paid the doctor two hundred bucks for a breakfast-o-matic. I've seen it with my own eyes! Load in a dozen eggs, a loaf of bread, some bacon, and it spits it all right out! As for "

Robbie waits his turn, but shares even more. "These two guys have stories, but I deliver his paper! And I've seen all sorts of things he's got cooked up. One time I even saw him playing around with a what's-it, this weird little rifle-looking thing with metal prongs. Everything he shot with it was instantly coated in bronze! And that's not all: I've seen his house glowing all sorts of shades delivering early morning editions. One time, he even already had a paper from the same day! I think it was a prank, though, one of the other delivery boys pulled on me."

Rocko Mississauga

The machine cries foul as you hit it, the score screen's TILT light glowing as you stomp away. A young punk next to it, playing his own, just whistles low as you leave. When you start pumping the bartender for information, he eyes your press credentials and says, "Yeah, sure, mister, I heard about them. Listen, between you and me, any man who drinks Gettysburg knows how to get it straight, so that's how I'll tell it to you."

He leans in his, voice hushed, "The grand opening is tomorrow afternoon, I think. Whole big to-do about it. Between you and me, I landed the bartending gig for the executive green room they've got set up. I had to order six cases of stuff that make my monthly profit margins look like pool hustler money, but if the job goes off right I'll be in the green until the new year. With a bill that size, I'd bet that most of the vice presidents of scientific affairs are in town."

Ask away with your four hold!

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Ashe Jones

Ashe giggled. "You do realize if I fail I won't have a hint of crime at all? What a 'disappointing' prize that would be. Still a dare's a dare. I'll see you gents in a bit." she caught the keys with a lazy left handed grab, not even looking at them. "Cheers."

She headed out of the place and pulled out her map. Working out her route from here to Paul's. She mounted the bike and grinned as it roared to life beneath her. Riding away, finally giving into her urge to shudder in disgust. One of these days Ashe, we're going no need to talk about this self destructive tendencies. Formulating a plan in her mind a couple of options occurred. She could actually rob the guy. Or she could try and fake it...? It was a tempting idea. Hell, she'd asked for weirder things before.

She pulled up outside the place. Still calculating possible options. Sauntering into Pauls and heading over to the counter. Giving the greasy teen behind the counter a charming smile. Leaning in in just such a way that her cleavage was on display. For as much as she hated people thinking of her in that way, god drat did it make for an effective weapon. Who ever had altered her body had not just given her enhanced abilities, they given her catwalk good looks to boot.

"Hey there, sorry to be a pain, but is it possible to speak to Paul? I'd be ever so grateful...!"

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Rocko Mississauga
"Call me crazy, but I've found a Gettysburg better than any set of lockpicks for getting into places. Wait, no, you can't quote me on that!"
-Rocko Mississauga, Gettysburg Beer advertisement

Rockos' eyebrows rose behind his sunglasses and a broken-toothed grin spread across his face.

"Well in that case, let me buy a beer for another man of exquisite taste!" Rocko put a couple more singles on the bar and lit up a cigarette.

"So this gig of yours...tell me friend, I wonder, how would you feel about taking on a couple of volunteers? There's nothing Mrs. Mississauga's boy here doesn't know about bartending, booze, broads and boards, and I imagine you can always use a another pretty face on board," and here he hooked a thumb over at Mary-Sue. The thought that she might not be interested in this little caper hadn't crossed his mind: they were cut from the same cloth, and if there was a mystery to be run down, then well.

Also, this was something he actually could write a story about.

Spending 1-hold for • How could I get your character to let us come to the private reception?

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 22, 2015

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Rocko Mississauga

The two of you drink a beer together, the pizza parlor / bar mostly dead this time of the day. He stops you from smoking, though, "Oh, buddy, no smoking in here. Please. Got kids around."

When you ask about helping out, the bartender cocks an eyebrow. "I mean, sure, free help is free help. I wouldn't exactly turn it down. And, uh, you have the proper attire right? I mean I already retained a little staff, and paying for extra rentals is just cutting into my margin. So if you can show up and look right, you're welcome. Just meet up here tomorrow about two o'clock. But I gotta ask, what are you in this for?" he asked, then looked over at Mary Sue. "And, uh, isn't she a little young for that?"

To get him to let you in, you have to get acceptable attire for waitstaff. And you have to let him in on what you're after.

Mary Sue Murhpy + Ashe Jones + Rocko Mississauga

Then Ashe Jones comes in the door, talking to the scrawny teenager working the counter. She also notices Rocko, currently sharing a drink with who must be Paul, and Mary Sue in a booth with some teenage boys, deep in conversation. The teenage boy calls for Paul, who says something to Rocko quiet enough that only he can hear it (probably some comment on Ashe's appearance).

Sauntering over, Ashe can tell that Paul's a man who enjoys his own product. Large and a little drunk-looking, he seems to be in good enough spirits. "Hi, miss. I'm Paul. What's wrong? Did someone get you a pizza too late? Because we don't have any sort of 30-minute guarantee, but if it was inedible and you have it here I'll do an exchange. What was wrong with the pie?"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Mary Sue Murphy

A floating skateboard - is that true? And a bronzing gun - is that true? Spending 2 hold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Ashe Jones

Ashe hesitated, gave a little sigh and leaned onto the counter with both elbows. Gesturing for Paul to lean in.

"Ah, look, sorry, this is going to be the strangest order you receive tonight." She looked for the words, deciding to go with the direct honest plead. "I've through random coincidence and some pretty awful luck, ended up with those three biker gangs after my rear end. And if I don't bring them all the money in your till and also the patch on your shirt one of them is going to... do things that will not be pleasant. Now I'm trying to work out how to fake rob you without taking any of your money but still look like I have."

She give a worried and pleading look.

"So... I guess I'm asking for your help. Please, I really need your help."

- - -

Would this be an appropriate time to roll 'getting what you want'?

• Locked thread