Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/30/disney-princess-real-waistline_n_6076634.html

quote:

What if Disney princesses had realistic waistlines? Well, they would look pretty fab. No doubt about it.

Buzzfeed's Loryn Brantz decided to digitally edit six famous Disney ladies -- Ariel ("The Little Mermaid"), Pocahontas ("Pocahontas"), Jasmine ("Aladdin"), Belle ("Beauty and the Beast"), Aurora ("Sleeping Beauty") and Elsa ("Frozen") -- to show what the cartoon heroines would look like if they had more realistic physical proportions. After all, since these characters are supposed to represent people in films made for children, they should probably look more like real people, right?

"As a woman who loves Disney and has dealt with body image issues, it has been something I've always wanted to comment on, particularly after seeing 'Frozen,'" Brantz told The Huffington Post in an email Thursday. "While I loved the film, I was horrified that the main female character designs haven't changed since the '60s. The animation industry is historically male dominated, and I think that contributes to how these designs became so extreme in their proportions — their necks are almost always bigger than their waists!"

Calling to mind the argument for a more anatomically correct Barbie doll, others have also highlighted the impractical proportions of Disney's princesses by comparing them to real-world bodies.

Last year, artist Meridith Viguet got some press for a tutorial she created on how to draw a Disney-friendly version of a princess. Disney's animated female figures, she noted, typically have long, slender necks; "demure" shoulders; B- or C-cup breasts and "soft but very defined" waists. But don't look for hips, because Disney princesses tend not to have them, Viguet pointed out in her tutorial, using Meg from "Hercules" as an example. "[H]er curves DON'T come from having really round hips, but from connecting the top of her legs (which are at their widest) to a slim waist," Viguet writes of Meg.

A real woman, however, has a thicker neck, wider shoulders and a less defined waist with actual hips.

"As children we may not realize these images in the media affect us, but they definitely do," Brantz told HuffPost. "Media outlets with the opportunity to change the way women are viewed and view themselves should start taking responsibility. It only took a couple nudges of a line to make those princesses' waists less extreme, and they still looked beautiful and magical."

:barf:

What are they doing to our childhood? To our society? As goons, it is our duty to stand up to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

still would

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Fat girls are angry that guys would still pick fake girls over them.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
gently caress HuffPo

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
:gas:

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
well thanks huffpo for pointing out how uncannily inhuman my childhood idols are in retrospect

I approve of this clickbait

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I AM A CAT LADY BOOHOO NOBODY LOVES ME IT IS THE FAULT OF THE ANIMES!!!!

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Truly another pulitzer worthy article from the geniuses of the huffingtonpost

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Why not just post this is the specific thread it's supposed to parody? :gas:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I feel bad for huffington post advertisers. I bet they feel like they threw that cash down the drain right now.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

The Taint Reaper posted:

I AM A CAT LADY BOOHOO NOBODY LOVES ME IT IS THE FAULT OF THE ANIMES!!!!

It's not clickbait because I'm angry about it.

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
and whats the deal with those giant eyes. thats hardly realistic

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
more like Photoshopped

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Thank god they finally did that.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
It'd be better of they showed the realistic ones first, so the skinny ones look really weird.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
give jafar a realistic sexuality next

I am Toni Lippi
Aug 16, 2004
i guess

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Jasmine always has looked weird as gently caress though

Fish Cant Hold Gun
Jul 2, 2015

by Ralp
yes, the mermaid looks much more realistic now

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SD-455
May 15, 2009

by Lowtax

Fog Tripper posted:

gently caress HuffPo

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Finally, a realistic mermaid waistline.

I was very upset at the unrealistic mermaid body type touted by Disney.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Now I'm really angry.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
fatwashing

gently caress, weightwashing

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!
Pocahontas still looking good.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
that was a good article and a good post thank you op

:gas:

Homo Depot
Jun 27, 2007

Studs on sale!
Ariels a fish creature not a human.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Ripoff posted:

I feel bad for huffington post advertisers. I bet they feel like they threw that cash down the drain right now.

Why?

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

Please pay no attention to my awards and ukelele

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
Yeah I saw this on Facebook ages ago when people were still posting "artist redrew Disney characters YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT THEY DID" (usually: change race to darker) but hey good try anyhow you fuc king rear end in a top hat.

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

the advertisers specifically earmarked that money for listicles and told them not to do the disney waistline article but these huffpo clowns just couldn't resist

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

This is old news. Today they're drawing the Disney princesses with period stains to remind us that menstruation isn't shameful.

gay sewer monster
Jan 18, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I want to brutally murder Cavan Sieczkowski, the man responsible for this, with heavy rocket fire.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Why not just post this is the specific thread it's supposed to parody?

That thread is about videogame characters redrawn with "realistic" waistlines. This one is about Disney princesses redrawn with "realistic" waistlines. There's an obvious distinction.

gay sewer monster
Jan 18, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

circ dick soleil posted:

That thread is about videogame characters redrawn with "realistic" waistlines. This one is about Disney princesses redrawn with "realistic" waistlines. There's an obvious distinction.

'The gently caress.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

what the

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Those Disney Princesses are also drawings. That's a terrible standard to set, making little girls want to be drawings

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Jesus loving Christ.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Huh. They have the old version of MS Paint which still has the "spray can" tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

circ dick soleil posted:

Jesus loving Christ.

those are funny as poo poo

• Locked thread