Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Ah Chicago the biggest city in the Mid West. A centre for commerce and tourism that cannot be compared to anywhere else in the United States Chicago is unique. However you ended up there it's your home and you can't imagine living anywhere else. Of course the city is a big place a melting pot of cultures races creeds and perhaps other things...

Your little corner of Chicago is tucked away in a quiet suburb easily forgotten by most of the city. You attend Cermak Memorial High whcih is one of Chicago’s older public schools. To most of its students CMH as it is (not very) affectionately known is just one more slightly under-performing school that is a stage for the petty dramas of teenage life. But you are no ordinary student and have more pressing problems than pimples or getting a date for the prom you are a monster….

What This Is:

This is a Monsterhearts game. You pick a skin (class), and act out some shameless teen melodrama full of sex and confusion and terrible life decisions, plus you’re a monster so you might also need to eat people or something. It’s pretty easy to pick up if you’ve played Dungeon World or Apocalypse World, or even if you haven’t -- all you need is your skin and the reference sheet (links are a bit down the page).

If you feel like signing up, write up a brief description of your character (most people like to do these in first person, in-character), fill out you character sheet and post them both here. Once you’ve posted this, I’ll ask some questions to help get a feel for the character, before making final picks. I'm looking for around six characters, but might be persuaded to take more than that if there are enough decent apps

Submissions will probably be open for about a week. If you can't have an app out by then, just let me know ahead of time and we should be able to work out an extension. I’m pretty much always in #swampthings (general MH chat) on SYNIRC as Ferrosol, so if I'm not actually on but I'm still in there, feel free to either PM or just tag me with a question and I'll get back to you as soon as I get on. I'd highly recommend joining the channel, as people in #swampthings are happy to help with any MH questions, and having the game group actively talking about the game in IRC is crucial to keeping games alive in my experience.

When you make your character, if you'd like, you can take one move from another skin for free to enhance your idea. A clingy Chosen with the Mortal's True Love, an Unseelie Fae with the Infernal's Dark Pact, a Unicorn with a Queen's Gang to help them uphold purity in pseudo-Victorian Europe. Or just take one that you think works well with your idea, an excessively shy Ghost who takes one of the Cuckoo's moves. A Werewolf that sweats a lot and has Musk. You don't need to take the move if nothing strikes your fancy, I'll be picking based on characters, not moves, and similarly if you think for your concept you really need two moves from another skin, or the sex move from one and the darkest self from another, just talk it out with me and it'll probably be fine. The idea is to come up with cool ideas for fun characters.

Along with your character application, please include:

1. A staff member or fellow student you know something weird about.
2. A place in the neighbourhood you know.
3. A hobby or interest you pursue outside of school
4. Optionally, a title for the game thread

Reference Pictures are not required, but they'll help me remember your character better, so I'd recommend doing it.

Skins:

A helpful goon has compiled a list of skins with links to everything but the Second Skins (kickstarter backer only for the moment -but friendly goons might share if you ask)

Skin List Here

-Of these, all Skins for the Skinless are banned.

-I'm not banning anything from the Standard, Official and Second Skins, but I'll be slightly more hesitant to take a Heir, a Ghost or a Hollow based either on that I think I'd do a worse job MCing for them than other skins, or that I just plain hate the skin in question (Heir). That said, if you have a good idea, don't let that stop you - I'm a reasonable person, and if you've got an awesome concept I'm totally willing to listen.

-From the Third Party Skins, please ask before apping any of them except the Gentry, Djinni, Coyote and Anansi (V2), they're all fine.

General Considerations:

Monsterhearts is a game that frequently involves tricky subject matter (racism, homophobia and other forms of shittiness, physical/emotional abuse), just kind of by definition. If any of you get freaked out during play, please talk to me about it. Its important people feel safe here -- I care more about your emotional well-being than I do about this storygame topic. After doing selections, I'll be bringing up any boundaries players have to try and make sure nothing comes up before hand, but again, if at any time something makes you uncomfortable, just say so, no need to explain why. Basically, everyone's fun and well-being is important, so we'll all collectively avoid being creeps or jerks, alright?

New players are more than welcome to app - I'll be more than happy to help guide people through the character creation process. Please don't let all these intimidate you - if this game looks fun to you and you've got both an idea and time, you should totally app a character!

Thanks to Godfish / AdjectiveNoun / Gazetter/Rauri for most of this OP. In a true outpouring of :effort: , most of it is copy and pasted from them.

This thread is absolutely going to butcher the geography culture and probably history of Chicago so please don’t take offence if I get some crucial detail wrong about the year the Chicago Bears won the World Series of basketball at Wrigley Field. I'm just an ignorant foreigner on the other side of the Atlantic whose knowledge of America comes from hollywood movies.

Please be active! Try to post at least once every other day - I can’t guarantee the thread will always move that quickly, but if someone is habitually slow and holding things up, I may very well replace them for someone quicker! If you have RL stuff, that’s cool, and obviously takes priority, but if possible, please let me know in advance so I can try and work the game around it.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Yeah, that's me. Chalkin' up one more loss for my record. 0/16/0. All loses by decision, so at least I'm good at getting the poo poo beaten out of me, I guess. Kinda how it goes for pretty much everything in my life. I put in a good showing, with a lotta heart, but I can't quite take it to the end. That's how it is in boxing, school, even with girls. I just can't.

Now I've got Doc. He... he's... as dumb as it sounds he's my corner-man. Not physically, like real life, but in my head. He helps me out with almost anything. Gives me advice, does what he can to get me to heal up faster after a fight, Doc says that if I want it he can give me the power I need to start winning. He tells me that right now I don't need to give him anything, that he'll get what he wants when I finally make it big. I don't how Doc found me, or what exactly he is, but even with the smell of bullshit around his 'payment plan' I gotta say I'm kinda glad to have his help. He might even help me find a girlfriend on my way up.

quote:

Frankie Robieson
The Infernal
Look: Quiet, Calculating eyes
Origin: Chosen

Hot 0
Cold -1
Volatile 1
Dark 1

Moves
Soul Debt
Name a dark power that you owe a debt to (Doc). Choose two Bargains that it has made with you. It can hold Strings against you. Whenever it collects 5 Strings against you, trigger your Darkest Self.

Unknowable
When you lash out physically against someone, on a 10 up, they lose 1 String on you. On a 7-9, add to your list of
options: they lose 1 String on you.

Take the Blow (Chosen)
When you leap into the way and take the blow instead of someone else, roll with Volatile. On a 10 up, you take the harm instead of them, but reduce it by 1. On a 7-9, you take the harm instead of them.

Bargains
Numbing It Out
You can give the dark power a String in order to remove a Condition or up to two harm.

The Power Flows Through You
You can give the dark power a String in order to add 2 to your next roll (choose before rolling).

Sex Move
When you have sex, the dark power loses a String on you and gains a String on whoever you had sex with.

Darkest Self
You can’t get what you need, anymore. The world has left you cold and alone, shivering in the wake of your own addictions. The dark power will make some open-ended demands of you, and it’ll promise you some lucrative (and perhaps volatile) things in return. Every demand you fulfill brings you a little closer to feeling whole again, to rekindling the fire in your heart. Whenever you fulfill those demands, remove a String it holds on you. You escape your Darkest Self when the dark power has no more Strings on you, or when you agree to an even worse bargain with an even more dangerous dark power

David Wilmot, one of the scrawny nerdy types. Except I saw him at Tobin's one morning, real early. I don't think he saw me, but I sure as hell saw him. Saw him lift a lot more weight than a guy his size should be able to. Mighta just been the early wake up playing tricks on my eyes, but still...

Tobin's Boxing Gym. Obviously it's my gym, but Mr. Tobin also let's people use part of it as a kinda hangout. He put some couches and some chairs and stuff in the area that used to have a second ring, said it wasn't getting any use, and he might as well use the space to keep kids off the street.

I'm actually a huge chess ner- boxing obviously. I plan to try for pro, maybe even see if I can make the 2020 Olympics before that. Gotta start winning first though.

4. Optionally, a title for the game thread.
Was that a werewolf howling, or just the L?

ShootaBoy fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 1, 2016

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Things always felt... off, to me as a child. Not quite right, not all there. I'd... sense things that made no sense, like a winter breeze in the middle of July, or hearing conversations in a different language while I was in my room, things like that. I thought I was crazy, that I couldn't tell anyone or they'd mark me down as a weirdo, or dangerous.

I found out the truth on Halloween, last year. I was having a panic attack because even in my own room I could feel the rain falling on me, the mud catching my feet, hear the wild animals chasing me. And my 'father' talked to me in the mirror. Not my dad, but something out of a Tim Burton film, pale and gothic. He said he was a Faerie, and he came to chide me, because my panic was interfering with some game he was conducting in Faerie.

He told me what I was that day - a Changeling, something made so he could snatch the real Allison Callahan away as a child. Everything I had known had been a lie, me living someone else's life, while he did... God only knows what he did to that poor girl. To calm me down, so I wouldn't inconvenience him, he unlocked... something in me.

Now I can see lies, hear them, smell them; they're as tangible to me as anything else in this world. After living a lie up until now, I'm determined that I won't be fooled again. I'm not going to tolerate being lied to, by anyone. Truth is my weapon and armour now, and I'm going to wield them to make something of myself, not just be an imitation or replacement.

quote:

Name Allison Callahan, the Fae
Look Mysterious, Piercing Eyes
Origin Fae Born

Stats

Hot: 1
Cold: -1
Volatile: -1
Dark: 2

Moves
Faery Contract
If someone breaks a promise or contract made to you,
take a String on them. When spending a String to even
out the score and get justice on a broken promise, add
these options:
}} they gently caress up something simple at a crucial moment;
}} add 2 to your roll on an act of vengeance;
}} they suffer 1 harm, whether the cause is obvious or not.

Lure
Whenever someone makes a promise to you, they mark
experience. Whenever someone breaks a promise to you
and you seek vengeance, mark experience.

Inhuman Gaze
When you shut someone down, roll with dark.

Darkest Self
Everything you say is a promise. Everything you hear is a
promise. If a promise is broken, justice must be wrought
in blood. To escape your Darkest Self, you must in some
way re-balance the scales of justice.

Sex Move
When you lie naked with another, you can ask them for a
promise. If they refuse, take 2 Strings on them.

Backstory
You wear your heart on your sleeve. Give everyone one
String.
You’ve captured someone’s fancy. Gain 2 Strings on them.

Advances
(Free) Inhuman Gaze - Out of Skin Move
First Advance: Better than Nothing - Out of Skin Move (+1 XP for marking a new condition)
Second Advance: +1 Hot
Third Advance: The Constant Bargain - Skin Move

Promises
Caitlin is willing to do whatever it takes to help Allison out
Gabrielle is going to meet Allison at Jo's Cafe in half an hour.
Frankie isn't going to pull anything like Gabrielle just did.
Kara is going to keep safe.

Mr. Fen, the history teacher... doesn't give off any tells, whatsoever, as to whether he's lying or telling the truth. Normally I can tell even if someone says a little white lie, but Fen just flies completely under the radar. There's got to be something going on there!

Jo's Cafe - it's cheap, the coffee's not bad, and it's a place you can hang out without being bothered. What's not to like?

Well, I used to play piano, but that's... well, I don't know if that was my interest and not the original Allison's, you know? Ever since I found out the truth, it's been weird, thinking about all the things I found fun, and if it was actually fun or not, you know? So I'm just trying to pursue new things... just for the sake of them being new, I guess...

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 2, 2016

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Might just be a vampire.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Raj Patil, the Queen

My parents are the typical immigrant success story - came over from India, worked hard here in America, gained prestigious and high-paying jobs, had children. You know how it goes. By the time I was born, I had quite the silver spoon waiting for me. It doesn't take long for a child to realize how different he is from everyone else. In addition to my luck of who my parents were, I found I had a talent for getting along with people. I make friends very easily it turns out. Convincing people to do things has never been too much of a problem for me.

You'd think someone like me would be going to a prestigious private school. I thought so too. But my parents made sure I would interact with regular, everyday people. At first I felt cheated. Aren't those kinds of schools supposed to be where people like me go? Make connections, form life skills, all that? But after going to public schools for my life I actually got used to it. In fact, I don't think I would want to go to a private one. See, right now I'm actually kind of a big deal. The large fish in a small pond. But in those prestigious schools with wonderful established histories, well...I'd just be yet another rich kid. I think I'd be able to work my charm on everyone, but I don't think I can deny I get more use out of it here. And besides, I like the people I know and the friends I've made here. Might as well make this school a great place for everyone else, right?

So Cermak Memorial High is where I rule. And I'm not one of those people who insist everyone join me or be my friend or toady up to me. You want to be on your own and don't want to be part of my thing? That's fine. No skin off my nose. And if you do have a problem, hey. I'm willing to talk things out. Only if you start being a problem that refuses to be solved will I step up and take action. Sometimes people at the top got to do what needs to be done after all.

quote:

Look: Domineering, calculating eyes

Origin: Most popular kid in school

Stats

Hot 1, Cold 2, Volatile -1, Dark -1

Moves:

The Clique
You’re at the head of the toughest, coolest, most powerful clique around. They count as a gang. Choose one of the following strengths for your gang:
}} they’re connected (with money and designer drugs)

Bought Loyalty
You can give an NPC a String against you to add 2 to your manipulate an NPC roll against them. (You can only choose to do so before rolling.)

Patience is a Virtue (Serpentine)
When you bite your tongue and don’t respond to adversity, roll with cold. On a 10 up, choose one: gain a String on them; they gain the Condition snake food. On a 7-9, they gain the Condition snake food.

Sex Move

When you have sex with someone, they gain the Condition one of them. While the Condition remains, they count as part of your gang.

Darkest Self

They’ve failed you. This is all their fault, and there’s no reason why you should have to suffer the consequences of their idiocy. You need to make an example out of each of them, a cruel and unwavering example. You escape your Darkest Self when you relinquish part of your power over to someone more deserving, or when you destroy an innocent person in order to prove your might.

Your Backstory

Name three NPCs who are members of your gang. Gain a String on each.

Sky Bailey
Popular cheerleader, loves having fun and partying. She's the one who can get whatever we need from a variety of people she knows.

Daisuke Honda
Quarter-back of the football team. Big guy, but actually really nice. Unless you mess with his friends, then he tends to get pretty angry. I can generally calm him down though.

Anantha Joshi
My friend from way back. He doesn't come from a rich family like me, but that doesn't matter to us. He's someone I can talk to when I need advice or to brainstorm something. Guy's really smart, but not in the kind of way where he talks down to you.

You find someone threatening. Give them a String on you, and take two Strings on them.

quote:

A staff member or fellow student you know something weird about.

Vernon Scott is who Sky gets a lot of drugs from. He's kind of weird but as long as he keeps providing us with what we want, it doesn't really bother me. Although I haven't actually seen him around the neighborhood much. Mostly just around school when he comes by in his van. Does he live in it? Probably. However, I can't help but notice how no one else seems to really see him unless he either starts talking to them or they want him for something. Handy for a guy selling drugs I suppose, but still. Regardless, it's not really something I think too hard about.

quote:

A place in the neighbourhood you know.

There's this really really old graveyard. Angelpoint Cemetery is the name. It's old enough that no one new gets buried there, and the only people visiting are those interested in incredibly old graveyards or those people looking for a private spot and don't mind the potential 'spooky' factor. Or actually want that. I've been there a few times at night myself. It's nothing special to be honest.

quote:

A hobby or interest you pursue outside of school

Cooking. I guess part of it is the social aspect - you usually tend to share the food you make, or you're making it for some event or whatever. Another part is how it feels a bit relaxing. Gives you time to think about things, or talk with someone. I've held more then a few group meetings in the kitchen of whoever's house we're at.

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 5, 2016

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Right, stats wise, as a vampire, have the following:

Name: Michael O'Seamus
Look: Old Fashioned; Dead Eyes
Origin: Taken this century

Cold: 1
Volatile: 0
Dark: -1

Moves:

Invited - You cannot enter a home without being invited. Whenever someone invites you, take a string on them.
The Feeding - You feed on hot blood. If this is the first time they've ever been fed upon, you both mark experience. When you feed, choose 2:
- You heal 1 harm previously suffered
- You carry 1 forward
- They don't die

Sex Move: When you deny someone sexually, gain a string on them. When you have sex with someone, lose all strings on that person.
Darkest Self: Everyone is your pawn; your plaything. You hurt them and make them vulnerable, for sport, like a cat does with a mouse. You feed to the point of death whenever you're alone with someone, though you take your time. You escape your darkest self when you're put in your rightful place by someone more powerful than you.

Something weird: The Janitor worked at this school back when I was alive and studied here properly. He looked elderly seventy years ago too. Maybe he had a grandson...
Random place: St. Margaret's Church cemetery is a common spot for young couples looking for a secluded place - there are rumours that some go missing, but none that ever make the news.
Hobby outside of school: I am something of a scientist; having taken an interest when I needed to return to school some fifty years ago. Thankfully, I don't need to rely on the school for further instruction - the science they teach is older than I am...

Description:

School. One would think that after a hundred years of life, one would no longer need to attend, but as it turns out, I was mistaken. I am commonly mistaken for a boy in their late teens; I suppose I have my sire's timing to thank for that. Nevertheless, school allows me to integrate with the community; I wouldn't usually care so much, but it is an excellent source of food. Unfortunately - again due to my sire's timing - my mental age does not seem to have advanced since I was turned. It seems I will always be dealing with adolescence. I suppose that girl Eli said it best in that book: I am seventeen - but I have been seventeen for a very long time. Still, the neuro-plasticity afforded to children and adolescents has been of some benefit; I speak several languages picked up over my many years. Irish from my family, who came here fleeing British rule; English of course; Spanish, because it's so common in this country, German from my sire, and Latin. I occasionally have to deal with remarks about my attire from the youths at school; it isn't always easy keeping up with the ever changing fashions in this society, but one would think that thirty years isn't all that old for one's clothing... They don't tend to make fun of how I speak, however; I believe I have managed to keep up with the times in terms of language at least.

One question: is the one move from a different book in addition to the starting moves, or is it a replacement? Just best to make sure...

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

hectorgrey posted:

One question: is the one move from a different book in addition to the starting moves, or is it a replacement? Just best to make sure...

I'm not Ferrosol but can answer this for you - it's a bonus move, not a replacement for one of your skin's standard ones.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Fantastic - in that case I'll go ahead and add Heightened Senses from the Werewolf skin. It just seems like something that makes sense for a vampire.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Wanna app a Queen or a Serpentine, I haven't decided yet

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Francesca 'Frankie' Lucielia 'Arnold' Arnalt - The Heir

Everyone knows me as Frankie, and even if they did find out my full name, they don't know the last name. That's because you're not supposed to know it - it's a secret, something hidden beneath the underbelly of this world, one of the last true horrors. We are a family of monsters, but not the kind that go bump in the night. We are not vampire, or werewolves, we do not steal the skin of men to cover our scales, no. We are but men, men who chose to become monsters, who chose to be different, to be horrible - because we wanted to be in control - and we are. We are the things that control the world from the shadows, we direct things to go how we want - members of what some might call the Illuminati. One head of a table of many.

And how would these monsters have made themselves - other than with blood magic, of the most disturbing and disgusting variety. The Arnalts have a tradition - seven children, all born of seven separate mothers or fathers, sired or born by the previous heir. These seven children and groomed for greatness, for poise, for success, for power. They're encouraged to be the best of the best, and to never let anyone be better than them - including each other. Every single 'playdate' is to encourage their children to be better at a sport, or an art, or a science, or something else than the others. Every single thing done is to create a perfect, precious heir, who will take over the family's fortunes, and be able to give their children everything they could dream of with their own power.

All they have to do is kill each and every sibling they have.

Do you understand why I call my family monsters now? Why they are monsters? I wasn't supposed to know yet, it was to be told to me on my sixteenth birthday, I was to be prepared for it. But my brother Brice and I... we were adventurous, the whole world was our oyster back there, we had it all. And then we found the book, that detailed the ritual performed at each of our birth's. That detailed the truth of how we will kill each other, until one of us stood at the top - or our parents would do it for us. How it had been going on for hundreds of years. And how if I refused it, I'd have until I was 18 to do as they wished, or Brice would become the new heir, and I... would be disposed of. Repeating until the youngest was all that remained.

And we ran. Brice and I... we took all of our siblings, and we ran, we ran and we ran, and... and honestly, they let us go. Because we were never reported missing - but when I put in my form for my siblings to begin school, no one asked a question. When I claimed myself as their legal guardian, and claimed our parents died in a crash [that they were never on] no one investigated, so long as I maintained my own schooling and worked.... Brice doesn't realize that they probably know where we are - but I'm older than him, and I know they know everything. But I came here for a reason - rumors, stories, tales, half spoken facts of dark things in the night. Because the only thing that can fight a monster is a monster - and that's what I know this place has. I don't know who it is, where it is, but we've been here for a year now.

So now I'm Frankie Arnold, orphaned sixteen year old girl who goes to Cermak Memorial High along with her younger brother Brice, who works nights at the Blueberry Blvd Coffeehouse inside the local bookstore, who secretly also works as a stockgirl under the table at Pets And Play the local petstore, who also spends her lunch hour doing paid tutoring because guess what - her parents are dead, and she's become the legal guardian of her six younger siblings, and she needs the loving money. Frankie the Freak Arnold, the girl no one wants to be friends with, because she's got such a heavy life story, and has no time to hang out. Who sleeps four hours a night if she's lucky, and always has dark circles under her eyes. Who somehow maintains nearly perfect grades despite all these facts - thanks Mom and Dad for the years of advanced tutoring, totally makes up for the plan to turn me into a fraticidal maniac.

Who is going to crumble at the slightest touch. Who is barely holding it together, and feels like every shadow is going to hurt her. Who still hasn't fully explained to all her siblings what she rescued them from. Who can barely afford to eat, because she needs to make sure her younger siblings get everything they need, because even though the courts didn't look twice at her, they still have a CPA agent check up on her every month.

And who knows that someone, somewhere in this town is just watching her for her parents. Waiting.

quote:

I don't think Ms. Ross is working for my parents at least, but she's... well, I often work nights at the local shopping center, making sure everything is stocked and ready to go for the next day. Sometimes I'm there until like, 2 in the morning, and well... it's only been a handful of times, but I've seen her there when I'm that late. Just staring towards me from the parking lot, as I walked out and left with these... these eyes, that I can see as if they were the moon. But... okay, maybe I'm hallucinating, but every time I see her, she's gone in the next moment, and she doesn't say anything at school - except always asking me if I got enough sleep, specifically only on the days I think I saw her the night before.

quote:

Man, everyone already knows the bookstore, because we have the only good coffee place in the entire suburb. Unless you wanna go into the city, the rest of it is cheap processed overly sugary poo poo, with 'barista' who don't know the slightest thing about how coffee should be prepared. I work there, so of course I know it.

quote:

It's not a hobby or interest, but when I'm not at school or at work, I'm almost always making sure my brothers and sisters are staying involved. Soccer, baseball, choir, I try to make it to the games and events and stuff when I can. I'm not bad at sports myself, I'm pretty physically fit - more so than I look even, think that's thank to the blood magic, since I'm the designated heir and all...

And I'm getting pretty good at cutting and styling hair, too.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Denis Kelnhofer
The Neighbor

My last school was a disaster.

It really was. I didn’t enjoy it. No one liked me, I didn’t like anyone, and, if I can say something like this without seeming like too huge of a jerk, I’m almost kind of glad that my parents split up because now, living with my dad, I get to start over. None of my jerk old classmates, none of my jerk old teachers, no baggage or dirty laundry or anything like that.

A completely fresh start.

What baggage? Oh, well. Fine. If you won’t tell anyone else.

My mom works for one of the big computer technology companies. No, not Google, but one of the big ones. She was never around, because there were always conferences, support meetings, foreign sales kibbutzim... As a result, she tended to fill her absence with stuff. So I have a couple great keyboards, a nice mixing board, some really good microphones for sampling, and, most important to this story, one of those knock-off Google Glass type deals. Not the real thing, but close. It didn’t work great, but it let me take pictures, and I’d set it to take one every fifteen seconds or so, all day. I figured it could be a cool art project, or I could eventually use it as a music video or something.

As you can imagine, this didn’t do much for my popularity. I was already in that weird state between computer guy and band geek: I was slightly too out there for the computer guys -- not enough into gaming or programming or anime --, but the concert band didn’t have much use for a keyboardist either, which I really preferred to the French horn.

Anyways -- and you probably won’t believe me when I say this, but it’s true, and it’s the other pertinent detail of this story -- my last school was haunted. Literally haunted, by ghosts or vampires or... Students would disappear, or die, or suddenly get transferred across the country while deleting their facebook and tumblr and instagram, and no one would want to talk about it. It was terrifying. And I don’t know the exact details, but there was this group of really cool kids who were trying to kill them. Way too cool to ever want to be friends with a guy like me.

The only time I spent any time with them was towards the end of the school year. I was hanging out at school late because I didn’t want to go home. I knew my parents would be fighting, because that’s what they always did when my mother got home from one of her trips, and after Jeremy, the guy who sat next to me in Calc disappeared and I seemed to be the only one who noticed, I couldn’t handle coming home to them passive-aggressively sniping at one another over take out. So there I am, playing piano in the empty commons, and then all of a sudden this strange lady drops down from the ceiling. She’s dressed in all this black leather gear like a biker or an internet model, and, now that I’ve got a better look, I realize it’s Emily Dofferson from my English class.

So I say “Hey Doff, what’s going on?” and she grabs me by the collar and slams me up against the wall, which is no mean feat considering she’s only five foot five counting the heels on her boots, and I probably weigh at least twice what she does. And she stuck this wicked looking knife, curved and twisted, with some sort of red gem in the pommel, up to my throat.

“At last I have you, Mastermind,” she spits in my face. Literally. Girl has no saliva control. It’s gross. “Your reign of terror over this school is over. Are you going to beg now? Plead? Tell me all about you sad, pathetic home life? About how your parents don’t love you? About how you needed to lash out at the world because you don’t have any friends and no one likes you? I’ve got news, creep. It’s because you’re weird. No one cares about your problems. Once I take you out, all your vampire minions will turn to dust, and this will all be over. Any last words, creep?”

And... that hurt. Not going to lie. I mean, I knew I wasn’t exactly popular, and I didn’t really spend much time with anyone outside of school, but, you know, I didn’t think I was...

“...vampires...?” is all I managed to squeak out, trying not to cry.

“I think we’ve got the wrong guy, Em,” says Gareth Jones, who I hadn’t noticed come in. He was armed to the teeth: all sorts of medieval weaponry strapped across his chest, and a crossbow in his hands.

“poo poo, really?” she says. “Look, Denis, I... It’s...”

“We’ve gotta run, Em,” says Jones, looking at this weird amulet. “The Mastermind, he’s still here. Right below us.”

And off they went. I sat there on the ground until the sun went down. They never came back, and the janitor kicked me out. My folks were a bit upset that I was home so late, and I lied that I was playing piano and lost track of time. I don’t lie often, but I figured they’d never believe the truth.

But I know it happened. I have pictures.

I didn’t go to school for the next few days, and then my parents finalized their divorce, and it was decided that it was better that I stay with my dad, what with my mom always being gone. The next few weeks were kind of a blur. I must have passed my classes, and I think Vice-Principal Varney disappeared under mysterious circumstances. Emily and Gareth avoided me as best they could. I packed up all my gear really carefully, and unpacked it into our new apartment. It wasn’t quite as nice as our old one, but the area is a bit more open, and there’s Harold Washington Community Park a really pleasant little place to go running in, and school’s going to be fine this year. I just know it is.

For example, at orientation, I met Grace Collins, the band director. She’s real nice, if a little strange. She’s got a framed picture of David Tennant on her desk, for example. And she had to correct herself when asking if I played the xylophone, kinda like she thought she’d already taught me 4-stick playing, when in truth, I actually kinda suck at it because I’ve never had proper instruction. But everyone gets confused sometimes. She must have thought I was someone else.

But I remain optimistic. Things have gotta turn out better, yeah?

-------------------------------------------------

Denis Kelnhofer
The Neighbor

Smiling eyes, divorce kid

Hot 2, Cold -1, Volatile 1, Dark -1

Moves:

Mixed Messages
When you're alone with someone, decide if you're attracted to them or not.
  • If you are, tell them why you can't be together and roll to shut them down, adding 1 to the roll.
  • If you're not, tell them all the things they've got going for them (to let them down easy) and roll to turn them on, adding 1 to the roll.

Precarious
(If you pick this, read it aloud.)
When someone gives you a gift or another chance, give them a String.

Nap Fan

As soon as you fall asleep somewhere, choose two below for the MC to detail. The MC will tell you when you wake up, and then tell you the details.
  • something has been left for you,
  • someone unexpected is nearby,
  • someone's been trying to contact you,
  • something happened at home,
  • something has been canceled,
  • something has been broken,
  • you had a nice dream.

Catch of the Day (from The Selkie)
Whenever you don’t understand what’s going on or what someone means, and it gets you into trouble or leads you to make unwise choices, mark experience.

Sex Move

When you scream out someone's name during sex, gain a String on them.

Darkest Self

You feel... you feel like a monster. What kind of monster do you feel like? A werewolf, a vampire, a ghost, a queen... it can be anything you can think of. Tell the MC, and they'll hand you that Skin or the closest thing to it. It can be different each time. Read their Darkest Self: you are drowning in metaphor. Choking on it. Your body isn't supernatural, but you're gonna take it right to the line. You become that Darkest Self.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Going to app a Chosen

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Nevermind.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Apr 3, 2016

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Apping a Gentry.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Kara Tierney, Ghost

You never can quite forget the feeling of a Louisville Slugger as it smashes against your skull, rattling everything inside like oh-so-many pills inside a medicine bottle.

You also never forget the look on your mom's boyfriend's face when you walk back in the house several hours later - a perfect bust of horror and fear and denial all plastered into an image that you get to hate for an eternity.

I died a couple months ago. I don't want to talk about it. Needless to say, Ed hasn't been seen since, and I can't say that I blame him. I'd run too if the girl I murdered walked in through the front door. Thankfully, my mom slept through it, so she doesn't have to know what kind of monster he was. She's been so depressed lately, too, that I don't even have to try too hard to hide what kind of monster I am.

The trickiest part is keeping everything together. Start getting emotional, start thinking too hard, and I just start to... drift. Like I'm floating on a cloud, except it's numbing me, and everything starts to go white. I guess that's why I'm trying to stay positive about everything.

For now, it's sleep, school, and regular season baseball. I've been watching it a lot lately. There's something oddly soothing in the crack of a bat as it sends a ball sailing into the bleachers.

If there's anything I've learned from this experience, it's this: don't be the ball.

--

Victor Remington - Class 1 jerk, and always gives me a hard time. I think he knows what happened. He's been carrying around this little miniature baseball bat lately, pointing it at me, and moving it across his throat. I heard from a friend that one of his uncles is a professional ghost hunter, like in those Sy Fy channel shows... and they've been hanging out a lot lately.

Bogan Park - Named after a school administrator from the early 1900s, this 13-acre park is home to a baseball diamond, three softball diamonds, playground, basketball and tennis courts. It hosts multiple community events throughout the year, including a six-week day camp during the summer for children. Bogan Park recently reopened following a closure caused by a police investigation. Results of that investigation have not yet been released publicly, but rumors are circulating that a a body was found near a bloody baseball bat.

Chicago Cubs baseball fan - Rizzo, Bryant, Schwarber, Heyward. Names familiar to all those who hold the Cubs in their heart. These "lovable losers," along with their fans, have the longest championship drought in professional sports - 107 years. Some say this team is cursed by a man named Billy Sianis, who was ejected from a game in 1945 for bringing along his billy goat. I don't know if it's true, but I do know this: The Cubs haven't been to a World Series since.

The Who's for Breakfast Club

quote:

drat, to end up like that must be horrible.

I guess that depends on your definition of horrible. Sure, dying is never ideal, but it could've been much worse. Trust me.

At least this way, I still get to spend a lot of time with my mom. She's still a wreck after Ed's sudden departure, but she's bouncing back like she always does. And school is pretty fun, too. Not that I have many friends, but the few I do have, well... they're worth the effort it takes to stick around.

quote:

Do you know why you're a ghost, why you didn't move on to some sort of afterlife?

If it was to avenge myself or haunt Ed or something, I probably would've been on the first bus going upward after he split. I've since ruled out any sort of meaning behind it. I'm nobody special, just one more white, lower class body filling up the inner city. Jesus died and three days later, he was right back to saving the world. If God-or-whatever had some sort of bigger plan than for me to be hanging around, you'd figure it would have shown up by now.

quote:

What about your friends, have they noticed any differences in the way you behave?

Short answer? No.

Long answer?

I spent a lot of time in the first days after studying how people interact. Just watching, you know? People don't touch each other very much anymore. Hell, teachers lose their jobs if they even try.

That comes in handy when you have a hard time staying corporeal. For the most part, the regular stuff all works like normal. Try to pick something up - no problem. Wearing clothes is easy, too.

But if something unexpected happens, like you fall and try to brace yourself on the nearest table, your hand can slide right through. Same thing happens to baseballs unexpectedly thrown at you, or even cars I guess, not that I'd be brave enough to try. If my friends have noticed anything, they haven't brought it up. Most people tend to find reasons for the weird poo poo they see, me being clumsy is probably way easier to believe than slightly-less-than-solid.

Or, wait, did you mean how I'm acting? I'm... I'm not sure. Do people tend to act differently after they die?

quote:

This is an awkward question and forgive me for asking, but uhh what happened to your body?

Well... it stayed there. It almost felt like a hallucination, seeing my corpse just laying there. If not for Ed's reaction when I got home, that guilty look in his eyes... I probably would have been convinced that that's all it was. A hallucination.

Of course, then the cops came by a few days later, to tell my mom the bad news. I awkwardly waved at them from the kitchen.

They must have written it off as an uncanny resemblance. My funeral happened another couple days after that. The media didn't even cover it. Another Jane Doe bites the dust.

Note: In the course of writing this, it's become pretty clear that Kara is in some deep denial that she's dead. Definitely an area to explore (if I get picked, of course).

quote:

Name: Kara Tierney, Ghost
Look: Brooding, Piercing eyes
Origin: Murdered in hot passion

Stats
Hot: 0
Cold: 1
Dark: 1

Backstory
Someone knows that you’re dead, and how you died. They
gain a String on you.
You’ve been inside someone’s bedroom while they were
sleeping. Take a String on them.

Moves
Unresolved Trauma
Whenever you project the blame and trauma of your
death onto your current situation, roll with dark. On a
10 up, give two people the blamed condition. On a 7-9,
give up to two people the blamed condition, but for each,
choose one:
- You gain the delusional condition,
- You can’t speak during this scene,
- You suffer one harm,
- You start re-enacting the scene of your death.

Forgive and Forget
Whenever you accept that someone isn’t responsible for
your pain and suffering, and absolve them of their blamed
condition, mark experience.

Vengeful
Whenever you lash out physically at someone with the
blamed condition, roll using Dark. Add 1 extra harm to
whatever harm you deal.

Hungry Ghost
You find sustenance in sadness. When others dump their
emotional problems on you, roll with dark. On a 10 up,
they lose all their conditions, and you choose one:
- Mark experience,
- Carry one forward,
- Gain a String on them
On a 7-9, they choose one:
- They lose all their conditions,
- They gain a String on you.

Ending - Ghoul
You remember how you died. When you tell someone
about it, give them the Condition morbid, and roll to turn
them on.

Cold as Ice - Vampire
When you successfully shut someone down (7 up), you may
choose an extra option from the 7-9 list.

Darkest Self
You become invisible. No one can see you, feel you, or hear
your voice. You can still affect inanimate objects, but this
is your only avenue of communication. You escape your
Darkest Self when someone acknowledges your presence,
and demonstrates how much they want you around.

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, you both get to ask a
question of one another’s characters. This can be spoken
by your character, or simply asked player-to-player. The
other person must answer honestly and directly.

Frgrbrgr fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 20, 2016

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Frgrbrgr posted:

Interested, what's the best way to chat with you Ferrosol?

Ferrosol posted:

Submissions will probably be open for about a week. If you can't have an app out by then, just let me know ahead of time and we should be able to work out an extension. I’m pretty much i always in #swampthings (general MH chat) on SYNIRC as Ferrosol, so if I'm not actually on but I'm still in there, feel free to either PM or just tag me with a question and I'll get back to you as soon as I get on. I'd highly recommend joining the channel, as people in #swampthings are happy to help with any MH questions, and having the game group actively talking about the game in IRC is crucial to keeping games alive in my experience.

If you have any Monsterhearts questions, #swampthings will be able to help you out with them as well. :)

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Rauri posted:

If you have any Monsterhearts questions, #swampthings will be able to help you out with them as well. :)

Thanks!

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Questions Round 1

Right a few extra questions up to help me get a better feel for your characters and expand on a few things. There may be more rounds of questions in future depending on the answers you give

Question 1

Frankie Robieson the Infernal

Why with a record like that do you keep boxing? Most people would've given up long ago why do you keep going. When did you first meet Doc and what did he do to demonstrate his
"usefulness" to you? Has he ever asked you to do something for him?

Allison Callahan, the Fae

That's rough finding out your whole life is a lie. How do you feel about your "parents" now that you know that you're not the child they thought they had? To make matters worse I understand
one of your friends has been lying to you who was it and what were they lying about? What did you do to them when you found out?

Raj Patil, the Queen

Hmm, so what was the last problem you couldn't talk or bribe your way out of? Who did you try to make friends with but wanted nothing to do with you? When one of your gang got
into trouble what did you do to help them out?

Michael O'Seamus the Vampire

So do you still have anything to do with your sire or are they long since gone from your life? How are you with the classic vampire stuff you know crosses sunlight running water
the works? What modern invention or fad do you find most difficult to understand?

Francesca 'Frankie' Lucielia 'Arnold' Arnalt the Heir

What makes you so sure that your parents are still watching you do you have any evidence? How's your brother holding up he's the only one besides you who knows the big secret right?
Have you made any sort of plan for the future or is it all about surviving day to day at the moment?

Denis Kelnhofer the Neighbour

Do you still keep in touch with anyone from your old school? How do you feel knowing that there are things out there that go bump in the night? Who at your new school have you shared
your musical talents with and what did they think of them?

Kara Tierney, Ghost

drat, to end up like that must be horrible. Do you know why you're a ghost, why you didn't move on to some sort of afterlife? What about your friends have they noticed any
differences in the way you behave? This is an awkward question and forgive me for asking but uhh what happened to your body?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Nvm. Redacting my app.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Apr 3, 2016

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

A slightly complicated Ghoul build will be here soon.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Ferrosol posted:

Frankie Robieson the Infernal

Why with a record like that do you keep boxing? Most people would've given up long ago, why do you keep going? When did you first meet Doc and what did he do to demonstrate his "usefulness" to you? Has he ever asked you to do something for him?

Why do birds fly, or fish swim? Boxing's what I do, what I've always done. Even if I didn't want to box, what else could I do? I'm too short for basketball, not fat enough for football, and nobody gives a poo poo about soccer. I'm only an average student, sports are all I could ever hope to be good at. Anyway, I guess I keep going cause I'm too loving dumb to know when I'm beat. Mr. Tobin always tells me that my brain is too stubborn and too stupid to admit I've been knocked out, and that's why I've never hit the mat.

I met Doc after loss 14. Sitting in the locker room with half my face swollen all to poo poo, I'm tellin' you it looked like a fuckin' tomato had grown hair, when I feel a pair of hands on my shoulders and someone says, "Jesus H kid. I ain't never seen someone take a beating like that before and stay on their feet." It sure as hell wasn't Mr. Tobin, but when I spun around there wasn't nobody there. Now the medic had checked me over, so I knew I didn't have a concussion or the like, so I thought I was hearing poo poo, kinda understandable after getting walloped like I did. Once I turned back to the front the feeling was back, only now it was an arm across my shoulders and the voice was coming from the bench next to me. "Look kid, you got heart and you got guts. Now I like that, but it's clear as day that you need some help." Again there was nothing sitting next to me, but I could feel it, hear it, and hell even smell it. The smoke of a cheap, lovely cigar. "Awright look. I think you can be big, maybe not Ali or Foreman, but big. And I wanna help you reach that." Now I finally managed to say something in response after that. "....the gently caress?" Yeah, I'm not the most uh what's the word? Eloquent! Yeah I'm not that. "Hey he can talk and get his rear end kicked! Man of many talents huh?" The arm left my shoulders. "Awright kid, I'm gonna give you a demonstration of what I can bring to your corner. Now look here." As that was said I could very clearly hear snapping coming from in front of my face, just like when they check you for brain damage after a big hit. Once I had my eyes on where the snapping was coming from, I could feel the cool metal of an eye iron, uh that's a boxing tool, imagine a clothes iron but it does the exact opposite, on my face and the swelling started going down like it always does. Only this time it went all the way down. Boom no swelling at all after about 5 minutes. Face was still bruised to hell and back but now I sorta looked human again. "There we go kid, you look fit for another 2 rounds, at least! Now whaddaya say, do you wanna start moving up in the world?" How could I say anything but yes after that?

A few times he's asked me to help out with some 'errands' of his. It's mostly just stuff like 'hey when you're out jogging this morning, pick up this bag from in front of this building and leave it in the doorway of this other one'. Nothing that's really made me go farther out of my way than a bit of running. I don't know what I'm moving, or how Doc gets these things arranged, the one time I asked him he just told me it was just a favor for a friend of his. Honestly I'm kinda happy to just let it lie there. I don't wanna rock the boat and fall off you know?

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Ferrosol posted:

Questions Round 1

Denis Kelnhofer the Neighbour

Do you still keep in touch with anyone from your old school? How do you feel knowing that there are things out there that go bump in the night? Who at your new school have you shared
your musical talents with and what did they think of them?

Folks from James Madison? Not really, no. Like I said, I didn't really have any friends there, so there wasn't anyone to keep in touch with once I moved. Which is not to say I haven't talked to anyone from there. It's... So there's this guy, Hilary, who sat next to me. Terrible trumpet player. No finger control. Keeps forgetting to buzz rather than blow. Not enough breath for anything really sustained, but when he would remember to take a deep breath, it'd leave him gasping... Not that he bragged about being super good or anything, and I think he kinda knew he stunk. It was weird watching him try and fail and try and fail. You always see or read about people who just keep at it or persevere and finally they end up amazing, but he not really ever get any better. Anyways, now that I'm not there anymore, he's been texting me a lot. Updates about students whose names I recognize, what Dr. Jin is having the band do, the occasional funny picture. And then, yesterday, a really weird text full of misspellings and typos, about how he was coming for me, and how I wouldn't get to hide anymore, and how he couldn't believe that I was at the center of the whole web.

Not again, I'm thinking. I'm just hoping it's all a big April Fools prank or something.

Because, well, I'm not exactly comfortable with this stuff! I'm really not. And gosh knows I've tried. I checked out a book on witchcraft from the library and read it over the summer, but it was mostly about getting in touch with the goddess inside yourself via herbal tea, dancing naked under the moon, burying statues of St. Joseph upside down in your lawn if you want to sell your house, and otherwise feeling okay with who you are and what you're doing. Which was great and all, but, when you're looking for the real truth on what the deal is, exactly, with vampires and ghosts and stuff, it's not really useful. Okay, well, maybe the breathing techniques to help calm down when you're stressed out. And some of the tea suggestions were pretty good. And the drawings were pretty.

Moving on.

School is alright. I actually met someone who's heard of vaporwave, which is crazy! Sonya Barley is a senior, knows a lot about Henry the VII, and is a Mormon, I think, based on how she talks on going on mission next year. It's kinda weird, meeting someone and knowing that your friendship has an expiration date, but until then, I've resolved to make the best of it. Piano-wise she's really into Ben Folds and Amanda Palmer, who are alright, I guess, but I really prefer Keith Emerson, but we still get along. The only weirdness is that she offhandedly mentioned knowing Dofferson, which is kinda odd because James Madison was way on the other side of the city. She didn't elaborate or anything, and I didn't wanna press it because that would be weird and we were talking about Luviia and I've been dying to talk about them with someone in person since forever, but on reflection... Nah, you don't think? Nah. Gotta be a different Emily Dofferson, right?

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Ferrosol posted:

Hmm, so what was the last problem you couldn't talk or bribe your way out of?

Isaac Collins was the last big problem. I wouldn't want this sanctimonious jackass anywhere near me to start with, but Issac isn't the kind of person to be satisfied with just making remarks about how you're "wasting your life" going to/setting up parties or "ruining your body" by drinking or "being a gross fag" by making out with someone of the same gender. He tried to blackmail us into quitting just about all of that, you know. Somehow this creep got pictures of the various drinks and recreational substances we had acquired and showed us. I think he expected us to back down.

Except that Isaac isn't as smart as he thinks he is. Point in case - he did this to all four of us while alone. One quick motion from me, and we had him pinned down while I went through the phone. Turns out he didn't back any of it up or anything. Daisuke smashed it into pieces with a couple stomps and I told him to never do anything like this again. Leave us alone and just sit by himself and whine about how stupid or corrupt or whatever the gently caress he wants to think the world is. But If he does something like this again, it's going to be more then a phone that'll get hurt.

Ferrosol posted:

Who did you try to make friends with but wanted nothing to do with you?

You might not know it now, but Anatha used to be quite shy. He never really talked to other people much. When we became friends, I helped changed him for the better. Over time he got a lot more skilled at communicating with everyone else. Completely different from how he used to be.

I bring this up because there was this girl, Adara Wechsler. Kind of a loner goth type. You know what I'm talking about. Well, she kind of reminded me of him. And I figured, why not help her out a bit. Over the course of a few days, I began speaking to her. I tried striking up a conversation. She spoke in short sentences using the least amount of words possible. I invited her to a party. She tore up the invitation. I asked her if she wanted to hang out and maybe relax with my friends and I. She said she was busy and then just continued to sit there. Finally, I asked what was bothering her or if something was up. I wasn't actually sure if I'd have an answer to it, but I was at a bit of a loss here.

She looked at me and said "Yeah, my problem is you won't gently caress off. I don't like you and I don't want your help." I was taken aback, but in the end I just said "Okay" and left. She's not bothering me or my friends, and if she just wants to be by herself all the time, well...there's not really much of a reason for me to keep trying to reach out to someone who doesn't want it, right?

Ferrosol posted:

When one of your gang got into trouble what did you do to help them out?

So I've talked about Daisuke. Great guy. But one time, in one of his overprotective fits he went and tackled some guy who was harassing his sister. Now, this guy wasn't that popular and you'd think the staff would be hesitant about putting lasting punishment on the big quarterback. Except that Daisuke got unlucky - the coach, Mr. Cantrell, didn't want his players engaging in this kind of behavior and intended to make an example out of him by kicking him off. So I started digging around to see what I could use to help my friend out.

I got what I needed from talking to Vernon. Turns out Mr. Cantrell likes to smoke a joint every now and then. No judgements here - but that's very useful information. So I went to him. I said to him how I knew what he was buying. But I didn't threaten or blackmail him. See, he doesn't actually buy that much and I have quite a lot of money. Why burn a bridge when you can basically build it? So I told him that I would pick up his tab, so to speak, if he just reduced Daisuke's punishment and went a bit easy on him in the future.

Truth be told, I think Mr. Cantrell agreed because he was nervous about how a very influential student knew his 'big' secret. But it worked out anyway, so hey.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Caitlin Carlin, the Gentry

How'd you sneak past security?! Did my parents send you in here? Is this another test? That's, uh, am I supposed to hit you or something, call the guards, what? Please gimme a hint, I can't mess up again, I'll pay you if they're... Oh you're, you're just here to ask questions? This isn't a test? OK, weird, but if you're here... I guess we might as well talk. I have a lot to get off my chest, after all, and I never get the opportunity to do so. I deserve so much more than this, but you're going to have to do.

To start things off, my parents are The Carlins. You'll remember them from your history textbooks in school, they helped turn Chicago into the city it is today. And by 'The Carlins' I mean my parents, and I know you're thinking 'but that'd make them over two hundred years old' and yes, you're more than right about that. They're immortal Faerie nobles exiled to Earth that've demanded human sacrifices for centuries, living a long time is really the least creepy thing about them. Don't tell them I said that though - you can't tell them any of this! Listen, I'm amazingly talented at everything, it's just who I am. I'd probably be as amazing as I am even if it wasn't for them, not that I'd ever say that, but... listen, my life is COMPLICATED.

I know you're thinking I have to be some sort of Faerie as well, given my parentage, but you'd be wrong about that. They're... they're not actually my real parents. I have no idea who my birth parents are, since they gave me up to the Carlins right after I was born. Mom and dad, er, the Carlins have told me a little about the what and when, but never the whys or hows. Whatever they got out of the deal I'll probably never know, but here I am, the Carlin's nineteenth child, and it's exhausting. They don't even call me Caitlin, they call me Linlin like I'm some sort of pet, but I've never put up a fuss about it. See, I don't want to end up like their previous children. They were all disappointing, and...

Listen, I can't talk about what happened to them, I've already said too much. It's hilarious, right? If you polled everyone at Cermak Memorial for "most popular" or "most likely to succeed" I'd certainly win, and trust me, I work very hard to cultivate that reputation. But with my parents? I'm on thin ice. I embarrassed them at the private school I went to, entirely on accident, and they sent me here for a year as punishment. As long as I keep them happy, I'm rich beyond your dreams, insanely insulated from the pains and agonies of mundane mortality, blessed with gifts and backed by years of tutoring and expensive lessons... but if I'm not perfect, if I make them mad - no, it's not worth thinking about.

If I'm going to do things on my own, I have to be careful about it. You understand, right? Of course you do. I can't mess up again, I don't know what they'll do, they've already talked about replacing me... you'll help me, right? I'll make it worth your while, I promise! Trust me, you don't want me as an enemy. It's nothing to brag about, but more talented people than you have tried to mess with me before, and where are they now? I thought so. So, now that we understand one another, it's time to discuss things...

quote:

Name: Caitlin Carlin
Playbook: The Gentry
Look: Disdainful, Haughty Eyes
Origin: Someone else's offering
Family Origin: Here First

Stats
Hot: +2
Cold: +1

Moves
Faery Boon
You may offer someone else a faery boon, allowing them to:
- Open 1 passage they otherwise would have been barred from
- Take 1 forward on 1 goal for the rest of the scene
- Get an honest answer to 1 question
In exchange, they take the condition Yours Truly [you feel like you should be thankful, but also resent it a little, and it's definitely not completely above board]. If they spurn your kindness, give them a string.

Leanan Sidhe
When you Turn Someone On, on a 10+, you can give them Yours Truly instead of taking a string. If they already have Yours Truly, on a 7-9 you can remove one of the options. When you make a gift of yourself in some way and the other person accepts, roll +Hot. On a 10+ pick one, give them the condition Yours Truly or take a string on them. On a 7-9, you make it clear that doing so is beneath you, and give them the condition Yours Truly. If they refuse, take a string on them. (Suggesting this weaker alternate version instead).

The Old Faith
When you give an NPC a bribe or promise, they gain Advantage against the next player to act against them.

Kallisti
When you successfully manipulate an NPC, they’ll conveniently forget that you were the origin of the idea. Perhaps they’ll think it was their own idea, or blame someone else, or just not notice. Others might figure it out if they find evidence of your involvement, though.

Sex Move
When you and another character have sex, choose if you believe it to be True or False love. If it is True, your parents are now upset at you unless it was the specific partner they had in hand, and everyone else you have Yours Truly on is healed of that condition. If it is False, your partner is healed of Yours Truly and gets +1 forward on their next action against you.

Darkest Self
Your parents were right. This is how they repay your kindness? This is how they repay you for the honor of your presence? The only thing left is to make them pay for every gift they took without deserving it. Systematically, you’re going to go down the list and get back what is yours.

You recover when you’ve taken back everything you deserve, or when someone capable of it knocks you off your pedestal.

quote:

Coach Greene works for my parents. Lots of people do, it shouldn't have surprised me, but... OK, on my birthday (at least what my parents have told me is my birthday) I took two slices of cake. Mother gave me an askance glance but I was celebrating and I didn't think twice about it like I should've, and - welll, the next day, Coach Greene arbitrarily punished me, made me run two miles for a minor infraction. Every single day, for two weeks. I... he was an idiot, and told me why he was doing it on the last day. Told me my parents didn't want me to get fat, since I "represent them in public" and "already have ugly eyes." I don't need the kindness of someone who voluntarily sold out to Mother and Father, and I told him as much. He can't spill the beans on me without me doing the same, so we've had a simmering resentment for one another since then.

quote:

2. A place in the neighborhood you know.

The Morganwood Cemetery adjacent to the school. I... I didn't even mean to find his name there, I swear. It just happened to be a shortcut between home and school the day that both the limo and our spare limo broke down and I needed to walk home, and... I mean, it's right next to the campus, I wasn't snooping. A lot of students actually skip class there, which I've never done. I hope none of them find my, er, Isiah Carlin's tombstone. Apparently he was one of my parent's children around the turn of the century, and he died the day before he turned eighteen. He... no, it's not worth talking about. He didn't deserve what happened to him, that's all I can say.

quote:

I'm a philanthropist, it's expected of me. There are so many people less fortunate than I am, and my Mother and Father are absurdly wealthy. It's generally agreed by society that some of that wealth should go towards the less fortunate, and that's where mom and dad want me to come in. Don't get me wrong, humans are disgusting, I agree with my parents about that even if they're talking about me when they say it half the time. That doesn't mean I don't want to help some of them though, the deserving and interesting ones. Most people are asleep and boring and cattle, but the ones that seem eager to lift themselves above the morass? I'm their silent but eager patron, their muse, their enabler and kickstarter and encouragement. It's the least I can do.

Speaking of the least I can do, I...

OK, confession time. I pressed an alarm button earlier, and the guards I mentioned? They're on their way. I'm sorry, but I can't chance you talking to my parents. It's lovely of me, and I do apologize, but no one's ever going to hear from you again. You trifled with the wrong family, it's some really rotten luck, but that's how life works sometimes. Feel free to ask me whatever else you want before they get here - for all the good it'll do you - since I owe you that much, at least.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 6, 2016

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Sharona Lazarescu, the Ghoul

I used to be a really nice kid. A normal kid.

I was on the news a year ago -- that disappearance across town? Yeah, you've probably seen me there, with my school picture from two years ago, back when I looked like myself. I'd been at my friend Chrissy's house working on our Social Studies project, and I was walking to the bus stop when this big blue SUV pulled up next to me. These guys jumped out, and I should have run faster, but it was so late and I was so tired... one of them grabbed me, gagged me with his hand, and the other one popped the trunk open. I don't think anyone even heard me try to scream.

It's hard to remember the rest of that night. I kind of lost track of time in the SUV, but they hauled me out at some warehouse-looking kind of building? They didn't blindfold me, but it was so dark I couldn't see anything. Usually there's some light out even at night, from streetlights or windows or 24-hour stuff, but there was just... nothing there. Like it was all abandoned. They marched me inside, down this hallway, and to this little room that was all tile. The guy who wasn't marching me pulled out a knife, and he just... cut my throat. Quick and simple, like he did that all the time. It all happened so fast. One second I was almost waking up, trying to figure out if I could slip free and if I still had my phone to call the cops, and then I was... gone.

I woke up in a bus stop, a few miles from where they grabbed me, around sunrise. I'm glad there was a little sun; if there hadn't been, I don't think I would have been able to make myself get up and try to live again. If it'd still been night, I'd -- I'd have been trapped. That doesn't make sense, but nothing's made sense since I woke up, okay? But I got up, and I waited for the bus, and I got home. Whoever left me at the bus stop gave me new clothes and left ten dollars in my pocket. I still don't know why.

It turns out I'd been missing for six days. My parents had all these piles of fliers, and they'd called every TV station that would listen to them, trying to get them to help get the word out. The cops were working on it, but we didn't live in the best suburb, so maybe they weren't working that hard? I don't know. All I know is that my mother screamed when she opened the door and hugged me for an hour. My dad started crying. I didn't know he could cry.

They shouldn't have been so happy. I'm not me anymore.

I should have gone to the hospital, but my dad's insurance is really bad and it would have cost so much, and I seemed okay, so we just let it ride. I really didn't want it to be a big deal, because I thought maybe it didn't have to be? I talked to the cops, told them about the SUV and the warehouse, but I didn't mention the tiled room or... the knife. They said they'd work on it, and I dunno, maybe they have? I don't follow the news now. I spend most of my time looking at my skin. I can see the stitches, pale and fine, where they cut me up and put parts of someone else in me. Patches of my skin are a little too pale and cool, and they don't feel right. I get weird stomachaches, really weird stomachaches, like someone's pressing a big chunk of cold metal against me and just mashing and prodding. There's a deep, bluish-silver scar on my left arm that I know wasn't there before.

And I get hungry. Really hungry.

Something in me wants to be loved. It wants people to care about me, to do what I want them to do, and... it's easier to get them to do it than it was before I disappeared. It doesn't have any goals, it just wants to be obeyed. It makes me dream about caves and cool stone. It's me, and it's not me, and I hate it and I'd cut it out if I knew how. It makes me want to make other people see that there's something awful inside me, something they should be as afraid of as I am. Sometimes I tell myself I'm doing a good deed, that I'm making people cautious so they won't get caught like I did, but I don't think it's really true. I just love to see the terror in their eyes and know they see me for what I actually am now.

I should carve away my skin, cut open my belly, chop off my arm, throw myself off a bridge. All I do is hurt people now. I'm dead, and I should have stayed dead, but... I can't help it. I want to live, and it feels so good to not be hungry. Sometimes, if I'm lucky, it even makes me feel a little normal again.

quote:

The Ghoul
Look: Thin, hollow eyes
Origin: Constructed

Hot -1
Cold 2
Volatile 1
Dark -1

Moves:

The Hunger
You have a Hunger for fear. When you heedlessly pursue a Hunger, add 1 to rolls. When you ignore a feeding opportunity, roll to hold steady.

What the Right Hand Wants
Your body was stitched together in parts and pieces, and those parts and pieces echo different histories, want different things. Create another Hunger: power.

Satiety
When you satiate a Hunger, choose one:
* heal one harm;
* remove a Condition;
* mark experience;
* carry 1 forward.

Temptation (Serpentine)
Your suggestions carry a preternatural power. When you convince someone to do something, they carry 1 forward to doing it, and if they succeed choose one: mark experience; gain a String on them.

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, add “having sex with [this person]” as an additional Hunger. If you already have this Hunger, mark experience.

Darkest Self
You will maim, kill and destroy anything in between you and the nearest object of your hunger. You will feed relentlessly. You escape your Darkest Self when someone restrains you or fends you off for long enough for you to regain your composure – at least thirty or forty minutes.

Backstory

Someone reminded you what love was, when you thought that death had stolen it away from you forever. Give them 2 Strings.

Did anyone watch you die, or watch you come back to life? If so, you both gain 2 Strings on each other.

Questions:

Mr. Maslanka, the physics teacher, is always watching me when I'm in class, but he never makes eye contact. He was kind of creepy anyway -- he doesn't teach any biology, but he's got all these pickled animals in jars? -- and then he started watching me, and then a week or two later I walked into class early and heard him on the phone, speaking a weird language and taking notes in... Arabic, or Korean, or something? But I checked Wikipedia and it wasn't anything real that I could figure out. The funny thing is, though, it looked a little bit familiar? Like I used to know how to read it. Or whatever's inside me did.

I don't know if he knows I saw him. Like I said, he was watching me even before that, so... I don't know. I don't want to think about it too long.

There are some nights I can't sleep: too hungry, too wired on being full, or just... not sleepy. Those nights, I go down to Soap and Spin Laundry, just a couple of blocks from our house. It's an all-night laundromat, and there's always someone there. Sometimes it's people who are tired and hazy enough that I can, um, get them scared or have them do me a favor to take the edge off, but I usually just try to people-watch. It's nice to sit in the light and watch people be people.

At my old school, before I disappeared and Mom and Dad decided we needed to move somewhere safer, I used to do makeup for the school plays. I kind of want to do it again. I like doing makeup for other people, but doing makeup for myself makes me feel more alive, too. Sometimes it's like I'm hiding from myself.

Ever since I came home, I've started taking judo classes, too. I'm not going to let anyone overpower me ever again, and I'm... kind of good at it. Better than I should be.

4. Optionally, a title for the game thread.

Chicago: A Monster's Kind of Town

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Apr 3, 2016

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Gabrielle Boreland - Magical Astral Knight Aurora - The Chosen

Do you know how hard it is to have a social life when you're a magical girl? Oh, sure it sounds good when your like, twelve, and you find a magical scepter tucked away in the 'spooky' run down neighborhood house, and you pick it up and suddenly you know that magic is real, and are so are monsters, and that only you can stop them from hurting innocent people. Its like, everyone wants that to be them, to save the day, to rescue a cute boy from the fangs of a horrible monster. And you can tell your friends, because you're still young enough that they'll believe you, and you find a few more scepters and you have a team of magical girls, and basically the world is a loving perfect place forever.

And then you grow up a little, and realize that forever is really about four years.

And then you're in high school, and you have homework, and the other magical girls are all either dead or stopped believing in magic and you're the only one left, but now you have even more homework, and your parents are making you join sports teams because they're "worried you aren't spending enough time with kids your age, especially after what happened to poor Violet, you really should try to make friends again," but they're also making you take the advanced courses in school because "Dear, your so bright, we just know you'll have a great future if you focus and don't get distracted by stupid things like boys." And its like well maybe I'd have more time to make friends my age if I didn't have to do all this drat homework, or maybe I could do this drat homework if you didn't make me do a bunch of sporting events that aren't even a goddamn work out for me, or MAYBE if I didn't have to keep saving people from the stupid loving monsters that infest this loving goddamn shitheap of a city I could have time to do EITHER OF THOSE TWO THINGS!!!

So yeah, I'm the only one of my friends left doing this Magical Girl gig, because I guess I'm the only one dumb enough to keep believing in it and to care if some poor old man gets his blood sucked out by a vampire or if one more of the abandoned buildings gets turned into a nest for gross giant creepy nine legged spider things that weave webs that only catch people's souls. And its not like I can tell anyone about this because once you're 'mature' and in high school if you talk about magic people will laugh at you and act like you're some special needs student. And then maybe they'll tease you a lot and you'll punch them in the goddamn face gently caress YOU SUSAN and you'll have to get transferred to the lovely public school, but guess what there are still monsters around and then this cute boy catches your eye in class and you see him later at night when you're transformed and oh guess what he's actually a loving werewolf good job Gabrielle, way to pick a winner.

But its not like I can stop because I know this is all real, and if I stop people will actually get hurt and people will actually die and basically, it'll all be my fault if I stop because I just wanted to have a normal loving life and have a goddamn date and some friends and not get in trouble for not doing my homework or missing practice for ONE DAY IN MY LIFE!

The Chosen posted:

Name: Gabrielle Boreland, Aurora
Look: Stubborn, Radiant Eyes
Origin: Marked by the supernatural

Stats
Volatile: 2

Chosen Moves
Come Prepared
You can summon from an outlandishly large armory, complete with ancient artifacts. Just in case the need arises.

Light the Way
Whenever your friends follow through on your commands or your lead, they add 1 to their roll. (If your friends are NPCs, they instead act at an Advantage.)

SmitingIn The Name of the Stars!
When smiting the wicked, add 1 to your lash out physically roll and add 1 harm to any harm dealt.

Bare Your Fangs
While you are your Darkest Self, you may use Volatile instead of Cold to shut someone down or hold steady.

Sex Move
When you have sex, heal all of your wounds, and cure all of your Conditions. If they disgust you, give them a String. If you disgust yourself, give them a String.

Darkest Self
None of your friends can help. They’re not strong like you are. You need to chase down the biggest threat imaginable, immediately and alone. Any challenges or dangers that you encounter must be faced head on, even if they might kill you. You escape your Darkest Self when someone comes to your rescue or you wake up in the hospital, whichever comes first.

There's The Mall. It has some offical name, but everyone around here just calls it "The Mall" since its the only one really nearby. There are other better ones further into the city, but most people go there. Its also where Jasmine died... It was under construction then, but finished about a year ago. The place is evil. I've been there a couple times, and every time I start feeling sick, the place is stained with magic, either from our fight, her dying, whatever happened or her, or just the location in general. I can't stand being there for long, and I'm sure its like... creating monsters or attracting them. There are always more in that area than anywhere else. Also, the theater never shows any good movies.

...Does fighting monsters count? No?

Well like I said its not like I have a lot of free time! But when I get a chance, which is basically... NEVER, I like to watch cartoons. Sunday morning cartoons were always my favorite when I was a kid, and these days I usually watch japanese cartoons, its really weird how close to my life some of them are. AND I KNOW THIS MAKES ME A HUGE LOSER DON'T TELL ANYONE!

GodFish fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Apr 30, 2016

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Questions Round 3

Question 1

David Winters the Mortal

So David, Who would be your ideal partner if you could choose anyone in the world? Would you go for looks, a sense of humour or something else altogether? What is it that makes you so sure that your going to die young? What is one thing you feel really passionate about?

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 5, 2016

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Sorry for delay with questions; I was away for the weekend. I'll get on it shortly.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Ferrosol posted:

Caitlin Carlin the Gentry
Wait! Can you at least answer a few more questions before I get dragged off to the dungeons? We all know what curiosity did after all.

I'm not sure what good you think it'll do you, but I guess that sounds fair. Sorry about the guards thing, by the way. Again, you're just unlucky.

Ferrosol posted:

So what exactly was it that you did that got you thrown out of your private school?

Why am I answering these questions of yours if you're not actually listening to me? I didn't get thrown out, because that've meant I did something incredibly stupid and my parent's influence wasn't enough to keep me enrolled. No, the school - administrators, teachers, other students - they all adored me, and of course they did. No, I didn't get kicked out at all. My parents withdrew me from that school and sent me to this horrid one, entirely because of a boy.

I... I had a boyfriend without their knowledge, for a little while anyways. His name's not really important because I'm never going to get to see him again, but he's handsome and sweet and funny and we were both in student government (of course I managed to get elected as a freshman there, you know, you've met me). We'd been going out for nearly three weeks when my parents found out about him, and it turns out their plans for me definitely don't include this boy. I think they overreacted some - I hadn't meant to make them mad, just keep him secret till I thought of a way to ask permission to date him, we'd only even kissed once - but then again, the only reason I'm saying any of this to you is that you're going into the dungeons.

Ferrosol posted:

Who was the last special person to catch your philanthropic eye?

You wouldn't believe me if I told you how pretentious and insecure Miles Hastings is. He's extremely smart and has a distinctive style and knows an insane amount about movies and cinematography too though, that's the thing. He's one of the first kids I met here, due to him being in my homeroom class, and he was busily huddled over a script of his when I was introducing myself to everyone and he didn't even glance up from it to check me out, like everyone else, which is also why I noticed him. Trust me, I hate him now, and I'm still telling you he's quite talented, he's driven and passionate and absolutely insufferable about it.

At the time I just saw the talent and drive though, and after a couple discussions, managed to find out that the only thing holding him back from filming one of the many, many scripts he'd written was a lack of funding - he didn't have a good enough camera, or the ability to rent out locations he'd need, etc. Which is why I decided to step in as an executive producer for his first film - I'd finance everything, take a super hands off approach, and let him make the film (titled "Univercity") he swore he was nearly dying to make.

Ferrosol posted:

How did they misuse the gift you gave them?

How didn't he misuse it? Know how much twenty thousand dollars is to the standard highschooler? It's a TON of money, hell it's a lot of money for adults even (though I'm still not sure of this, despite a lot of other people having assured me of it - it just doesn't make any sense!) But Miles managed to blow through it in three weeks, producing a grand total of three hours of absolutely useless footage he clearly desperately tried to save in editing before just flat out giving up on it. Seems he spent that once-in-a-lifetime gift of mine to buy some expensive toys, a ton of DVDs, and also he spent nearly half of it on a camera and a few expensive presents for his girlfriend, who he'd cast in the film even though she's a moron.

To add insult to injury, when he screened the "film" he'd made for me, the one that didn't resemble the script he'd pitched in any way? When I got mad about it being awful, he insisted I was too stupid to get it and stormed out, as if he was the person that'd been wronged. Listen, the money I invested on his movie is totally insignificant to me, but if there's one thing I've learned from Mother and Father, it's that you never let other people get the best of you. I'm going to pay him back, and it's going to be much, much worse than the dungeon you're headed to, I assure you.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Apr 4, 2016

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011

Ferrosol posted:

Michael O'Seamus the Vampire

So do you still have anything to do with your sire or are they long since gone from your life? How are you with the classic vampire stuff you know crosses sunlight running water
the works? What modern invention or fad do you find most difficult to understand?

So yeah; there are a couple of mechanical suggestions for things that would otherwise just say "You can't do this" - basically as an explanation as to why. Please feel free to use or ignore.

My sire has gone from my life; he spent twenty years teaching me what I needed to know to survive as a vampire; how to hunt, how to blend in with different kinds of society and how to avoid wasting all that effort by dying to the first vampire hunter I encounter.

Bram Stoker did not do me any favours when he wrote Dracula; thankfully, people ignored half of it and added a bunch of their own stuff. Sunlight is certainly a problem; I am weakened by it*, but it does not harm me. If I slumber during the day, I may not rise until the sun sets; regardless of the danger I find myself in. This has led to a few days absent from school every now and then. Garlic smells horrible; I will try to avoid it, and will not feed on one who smells of it unless I am truly desperate, for it ruins the taste. Running water too wide for me to step over in one stride is a problem while I am awake; crossing it will cause me harm. As regards invitations, there is a Swedish author who was surprisingly accurate as to how that works - there is nothing physically preventing my entering a home without an invitation, but when I do, I begin to bleed rapidly from every pore and orifice**. I require an invitation for each entrance, but only once. This was the first lesson my sire taught me, and he was a great believer in learning by doing.

One thing many film makers and authors have gotten wrong, but that Stoker got right was my relationship with wooden stakes. A wooden stake through my heart will not kill me. However, anything which impales my heart will paralyse me until it is removed. It doesn't have to be made of wood; a kitchen knife will do the job quite nicely (as my sire demonstrated very early on). In order to kill me, my head must then be removed from my body - at which point, I will age rapidly until only a skeleton remains, which will itself crumble to dust. Fire, meanwhile, is just as dangerous to me as it is to any of the living. I do not need a coffin to sleep in, though when I was sired that was still very much the fashion; I personally prefer a comfortable bed. The cross is not a problem in and of itself; it is the faith that wields it. Any religious symbol may be used to repel me, provided that the person using it truly believes that it will work. If they don't believe, then it will not. I can therefore enter a church without issue. Finally, I cannot ingest solids or any liquids other than blood - my body rejects these things as it would poison, causing me to vomit if I even try.

The thing that confuses me the most is social media. It has been around for less than a tenth of my life, and I am utterly baffled by it. I am able to use facebook to send someone a message, because that's just like email, which is just like sending a letter. Other than that, I tend to avoid using any kind of social media; I don't see the point anyway. If I want to interact with people, I can go and see them in person. Much better. Modern slang isn't so much confusing to me as irritating - especially words like bae and fam.

* -1 ongoing to volatile when in direct sunlight?
** causes harm for every five seconds uninvited, thus presumably death within twenty seconds - inspired by Let The Right One In, and for all practical purposes means I can't enter a home uninvited. If I receive an invitation during those 20 seconds, no more harm is taken, but the harm already done remains.

hectorgrey fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Apr 4, 2016

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Ferrosol posted:

Question 1
Gabrielle Boreland the Chosen
A real life magical girl! Like from one of my animes! Squee! Can I get your autograph? I uh mean umm a pleasure to meet you, you don't mind if I ask you a few quick questions do you. Why you what made you special enough to get chosen to wield that kind of power? What about your former teammates do you still speak to any of them now that they've given up on the job? Which of the monsters that you've put down did you most feel sorry for?

What? Oh... uh. Yeah, I guess? I mean it's not like it'll do you any good, no one knows who I am and no one would believe you if you told them, but it can't hurt...

Here. Uh, thanks for asking, I suppose. Its not like I don't get gratitude, exactly, but... most people usually block out whats going on or something, and people don't usually recognize me when I'm transformed, so even if the person does thank me when I save them they won't realize its me if we pass in the street so I never get any lasting response.

Ferrosol posted:

Question 1
Gabrielle Boreland the Chosen
Why you what made you special enough to get chosen to wield that kind of power? What about your former teammates do you still speak to any of them now that they've given up on the job?

I don't think there was really anything special about me that did it... Like I said, I was twelve and I'd gone into the 'haunted house' that was on the block, its just like... an abandoned building with a bunch of broken furniture and stuff -I can tell now that it isn't actually haunted- but that was enough to make it seem pretty scary to a little kid. In the attic, I found the Star Scepter, and when I touched it, it like... transferred a bunch of knowledge into my head. Knowledge might not be right, it was like I just suddenly knew things. About monsters and how to transform and all that. Not that I'd learned it, but it'd always been there once I touched the thing. And when I gave it to my friends to hold, the same thing happened to them, but I had to create Scepters for them so they could transform as well.

But as far as I can tell the only thing you really need to be able to use one to transform into a magical girl is to believe. That sounds really loving cheesy, but like, when you're twelve, you know there are monsters under the bed or in the shadows and stuff, right? So that doesn't actually eliminate anyone. But teens don't. They're all about being rational and mature which is basically just code words for being a stuck up idiot who wouldn't see a walking squid person until it grabbed them in their stupid face and tried eating it. Like Susan, she was one of the friends I made in high school, and eventually I tried it, and she wouldn't believe, and she kept making fun of me so much well, you know what happened. You might have to be a girl though, I never had any guy friends to try it with when I was younger, because boys had cooties, gross.

Maybe I am special though, since I'm the only one who kept believing in what I was doing. Everyone else sort of... forgot. They'd talk about those fun stories we'd make up together about fighting monsters and being superheroes, and how we used them to explain the accidents that happened to Elsa and Jasmine and Candy, but none of them actually think we actually did that. I... don't get it. But as they forgot, or stopped believing, or blocked our friends dying from their minds, they couldn't use their powers anymore, which just made easier to forget I guess.

I still see Miranda and Sammi, since Miranda lives next door, and Sammi a few houses down, but they both go to my old school and we don't really say much besides hi if we pass in the street. We're facebook friends, obviously, but we don't really get along very well anymore. I kept trying to get them back into it, and they'd just go on and on about how it was a game and I needed to grow up until we got sick of each other. Its gotten better as time goes on, and I make sure never to mention it around them when I see them, and they don't mention it around me, but I doubt we'll ever really be friends again.

Olivia and Zoe moved after Candy died, so the only one I have to deal with is Aubrey. She's... well she goes to the school I go to now, and she's... really popular. Like, fighting for most popular girl with the other rich girl, she's got perfect blonde hair (even though I know for a fact her hair is actually brown) and the perfect body, cheerleader, all that. She... tried to make me one of the girls when I showed up, and its not like I don't appreciate it! But I'm not good at being popular, and pretty fast it was obvious I wasn't going to work. She doesn't make fun of me ... much ... but I'm pretty sure the rest of her gang does. And... I can't really stand being around her.

Yeah, its not like it isn't the fault of everyone who was there about ... what happened ... to Elsa, but I still think if Aubrey hadn't skipped to go to her gymnastics practice Elsa would still be alive! Even if it'd still... happened... she could have kept her alive long enough for an ambulance to get there. And if Elsa hadn't died she could have healed Candy, and basically, what I'm getting at here, is gently caress Aubrey. Its all her goddamn fault! She didn't even lose her magic for another year after that, she just wouldn't help because she had 'better things to do'!

Ferrosol posted:

Which of the monsters that you've put down did you most feel sorry for?

Its usually the werewolves. The pure ones actually get to choose what they're doing, but the ones that transform from getting bit usually aren't as lucky, and they basically go rabid on the full moon. So there isn't really a choice, I have to put them down. And maybe the worst part about that is how ... well... When you kill a monster that used to be a person... they turn back into the person when they die. Which is why you never hear news about giant wolf bodies and things laying around the city. So the worst part is... when they turn back. They always look so... grateful. They're actually loving happy that I killed them, because they know all the damage they're doing! Isn't that sick?

The absolute worst was .... Jasmine... It was just her and me at the end. Everyone else had moved on. We decided to try alternating nights, because we were both pretty good at it by then, and thought we'd have a chance to keep up with school work and stuff on the nights off from patrol. It worked... for about a week. And then she didn't show up at the end of the night. So I went to find her. Her magic was easy to follow, she'd radiated it like a space heater, but that night it was practically visible across the city.

When I found her, she was standing in the lobby of some mall that was being built, standing lifelessly in a huge magic circle on the ground. I'd never seen something like that before... But she was standing there like a corpse, and there was a little girl huddled in a corner crying. All I managed to get out of the girl before it happened was that a man and a woman, who looked "fancy" had brought her there, and then Jasmine had shown up, cut the ropes with magic, and then the circle had appeared around her, and she started screaming. That was when... she woke up. The girl ran, I never found out who she was, or the rest of the story. But Jasmine... her eyes were glowing like neon signs, and her magic was pouring out of her in waves. She came at me...

She was stronger, but I'd always been the better fighter. It... wasn't hard to beat her... but nothing I could do could bring her mind back, make her herself again. So... I had to...

I swear I'll find whoever those two people were... who set a trap for magical girls and killed my best friend. I'll find them. And I'll. Make. Them. Pay.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

hectorgrey posted:

So yeah; there are a couple of mechanical suggestions for things that would otherwise just say "You can't do this" - basically as an explanation as to why. Please feel free to use or ignore.

* -1 ongoing to volatile when in direct sunlight?
** causes harm for every five seconds uninvited, thus presumably death within twenty seconds - inspired by Let The Right One In, and for all practical purposes means I can't enter a home uninvited. If I receive an invitation during those 20 seconds, no more harm is taken, but the harm already done remains.

They are not mechanical things more in the way of fluff. But I just wanted to get a sense of whether you were more of a Stoker vampire or a Twighlight vampire and what specific things applied to your particular vision of vampirism

nil.
Nov 11, 2012

David Winters

Do you ever feel like your life is like a powerful car – not like a new car, but like from the movies, some muscle car where you can feel the power of the engine – and you could just lean back into the leather seats and hold your foot down on the pedal and have the wind blow through your hair? And you could drive forever, like the highway in front of you will never end and… everything is just perfect?

But instead of doing any of that, the car stays in your garage and you never even take it out for a spin – and now there’s some dust starting to gather on it and while at first you weren’t even sure why you never used it, now actually doing something with it would be a whole thing, like you wouldn’t be sure whether you’re just doing it to prove something to yourself, like you’re using the car just because you have it. And you wouldn’t even take it to just drive off into the horizon or anything like that, no, just a sensible ride around the block - because maybe that’s why you never rode it, because you get around much more sensibly and besides, why change things? Everything kind of worked before, right? And then you kind of feel that even if you tried, it’d just be… nothing real, just you lying to yourself and then… then you do nothing.

Do you ever feel like that?

Did I just put all of that as a car analogy?! Thanks a loving bunch, dad.

Yeah, hi, I’m David. I’m new in town, well, new in Chicago. I’m originally from… nevermind, you wouldn’t have heard of it. And I don’t mean that in the hipster sense, seriously, nobody has ever even heard of that place, or if they did, chances are they’d confuse it with a thousand other small towns like it. That’s where I grew up with my mom. Sometimes when people ask me where I’m from, I’m tempted to tell them I lived in some cult compound until there was a shootout with the feds and my mom was one of the brides of ‘The Reverend’ and got shot defending him and that’s why I had to move to Chicago to live with my dad. But that’s not really true. Nope, mom got hitched to some rear end in a top hat on his way through – and he sure didn’t want to stay where we lived - and then apparently I was old enough to take care of myself, only not really and now here I am.

It’s not as bad as it sounds, at least, I didn’t see it that way. I was pretty excited, really! I mean, Chicago! It was a big change, but I was glad because it meant things could continue like they did, it was like – like my life was stuck. Yeah, yeah, big talk for someone my age, thanks. Only it’s true, things were just… happening in my life, but none of it was really important. None of it was… real. Does that make sense? It’s like everything I have done until now is a footnote, a bland sequence of events you could swap with the life story of a million people like myself and nobody would notice. Like my life is some podcast you’re only half-listening to, but it’s not like you are doing anything else. You’re just using it to numb your mind and distract yourself from the fact that… that nothing of significance at all is happening and you are the one that is doing it.

I could be dead in two years – don’t ask me how I came up with two years, I don’t have a fatal disease or anything, although, I don’t know, I could tell people that. Anyway, I could be dead and I would never have had anything real in my life, my whole… existence would be incomplete and all that just because I let it be. Sometimes it’s like it physically hurts me, this need and also this knowledge that I just have to find something, anything to make me whole – something that makes my life complete, makes my life worthwhile.

But I know it in my heart, even though it hurts, what I need to find. I need to find someone real, someone that I finally really, really can make a connection to. Someone that can make me complete, someone who makes everything like being lost in the woods with a summer storm on the horizon – powerful and violent and majestic and scary and perfect. It’s not easy, I know, especially because most people just aren’t… I don’t really make a connection with them, not a real one. I have been called an rear end in a top hat because of that, but it’s because they don’t understand – but who does, really? - that I’m looking for something deeper, something terrible and awesome, something that makes me feel alive.
Because sometimes, I don’t. Feel alive. Not really. Sometimes it feel like everything is just pointless – or maybe it's just my life that's pointless. Like all the others have figured out something and I'm just moving through them, unseen, and the only thing that's keeping them from seeing how... small and insignificant I am is that they don't care. Sure, sometimes I can make them care – when they want me, or I want them – and for a while that makes me think I have found something, something that'll put everything into focus and make me my real me, the one I'm supposed to be.

Or I'm just a horny gently caress, but, what, you're telling me everyone else isn't? I guess what I'm saying is that I'm... I don't know. Am I unhappy? I'm just thinking there must be something more than this, not just the same old, same old. Something that makes me whole, and at peace, and not at peace at all but swept before powerful storms like a ship at sea and... I don't know.

I could be dead in two years. But the life I will have until then – I will make it something real.

quote:

Name: David Winters
Look: Displaced, Human eyes
Skin: The Mortal
Origin: New kid in town

Stats:
Hot: +2
Dark: +1

Moves:

True Love (Kara)
You always have exactly one lover. The first is chosen during your backstory. If you ever fall in love with someone else instead, give them a String and they become your new lover. You always carry 1 forward to earning your lover’s heart or fancy.

Excuses Are My Armour
When you ignore some blatant problem with your lover or how they treat you, mark experience.

Down the Rabbit Hole
When you go poking your nose in affairs not meant for your kind, someone involved in the situation gains a String on you, and you mark experience.

Spooked
When you run into someone's arms, they choose:
  • you mark experience
  • they become their Darkest Self.
If it's an NPC, MC chooses: you mark experience, or they make a hard move.

Mess With Me, Mess With Them
When you use your lover’s name as a threat, add 2 to your roll to shut someone down or hold steady. Your lover gains a String on you.

Entrenched
If you and another character have a total of 5 or more Strings on one another, gain 1 to all rolls against them.

Unashamed
You can give someone a String on you to add 3 to your attempt to turn them on.

Leanan Sidhe
When you Turn Someone On, on a 10+, you can give them Yours Truly instead of taking a string. If they already have Yours Truly, on a 7-9 you can remove one of the options.

Darkest Self:
Nobody understands you, or even wants to. They’d rather you disappear. Well, you’re not going to disappear. You’re going to make life a living hell for them. You’ll betray the wicked to the judges, the weak to the executioners. You’ll pit humans and supernaturals against one another, until everyone looks like monsters. Only seeing the pain that you’re causing your lover will let you escape your Darkest Self.

Sex Move:
When you have sex with someone, trigger their Darkest Self.

Advancement: 6/5
  • Mess With Me, Mess With Them (Mortal Move)
  • Entrenched (Mortal Move)
  • Unashamed (Off-Skin Move: Fae)
  • Leanan Sidhe (Off-Skin Move: Gentry)
  • Add 1 to Dark
  • Add 1 to Cold

quote:

A staff member or fellow student you know something weird about.
There's Rebecca Wenders - she's new too and she keeps to herself, but I heard that's because she and her parents doesn't want know she just got back to them. Because from what I heard, Rebecca ran away from home about a year ago, living on her own, and even made it as far as Europe before her parents caught up with her. That must have been intense, I'd love to hear her talk about it, what it was like and, what made her do it, made her do something as bold and desperate like that, you know?

quote:

A place in the neighbourhood you know.
There's Meat 'n' Greet, a butcher shop slash restaurant slash hangout slash organic sustainable whatever place, it's actually kind of bizarre.

quote:

A hobby or interest you pursue outside of school.
Swimming. Sometimes I dream of living somewhere warm and really, having the water of the pool on my bare skin to the rhythm of my muscles is the next best thing. When swimming, sometimes you just can get... lost in it, but you're still surrounded by something large, something that carries you but that if you don't pay attention will drag you down and destroy you and it's... kind of exciting, right?

Sometimes, when nobody else is looking, I try to see for how long I can hold my breath underwater.

quote:

So David, Who would be your ideal partner if you could choose anyone in the world? Would you go for looks, a sense of humour or something else altogether?
Who would be my ideal partner? Of course looks are important, anyone who says otherwise is lying, and humor is good too, but that's just another way to say that you connect, right? But all of these things, that's just stuff that anyone could say, stuff you'd write on a dating site, as if I ever would do something like that. But those are just words, and true...well, love, a true connection, something real should be something beyond words, right? Something so powerful and pure that you just know that this is it, this is the thing you have been waiting for all your life. Right? And that's not something you should be able to put into words, if you could, it'd just be too, too... tamed.

If it's real, you should just know, right? At least that's what I think. Or maybe... that's what I hope. Because if I'm honest, sometimes I wonder if it's just me that really feels this need, this hole inside me, like I'm the only one who gets it - or maybe I'm the only one who is still looking. I'm the only one who just hasn't let that part of him die, and everyone else is just moving through life having filled that part of them that is missing with something that's just good enough.

Or maybe it's just me that is the odd one out, the one something is wrong with. I think I can remember when I was younger, there were so many things that just made me happy, waiting for Christmas presents, hanging out with my friends, going camping with my mom. But now... I don't know. I don't usually tell people this, but it feels like the things that make me happy, really happy, have somehow gotten away from me, like all the old stuff now seems just meaningless but somehow, there's nothing else. Or at least I don't know what that is anymore. I just know that there has to be something, something big - someone real - that can make everything right again. Someone who completes what is missing in me and makes all of this make sense. Someone who makes everything right again. No, not just right again: Better. A better version of me I somehow know exists, something unchained and swept away and... just released from all this other stuff that is not me, not the real me.

quote:

What is it that makes you so sure that your going to die young?
Oh, I never said I am going to die young - but I could, you know? I know most people don't like to think about it, that it could all be over in an instant. They just think the next day will just be like the last, and the one after that and so on. They think that but that way, they never remember that they need to really live, you know? It's just one straight line ahead for them, going into the distance. But I know it in my bones that that line, whether it's straight or not, could just end at any moment. And once you're there, you can't just look back and redraw it.

I don't know if I am going to die or not, but I know that if I don't live a... real life while I still can, I might as well be dead. I can see it in adults, the life draining out of them - of course they say it's not all over once you 'mature a little', that really, they know way more about what I should actually want, but what the gently caress are they going to say? Everything sucks now that I have to work a job and I have already forgotten what it meant to be free, sure wish I could have back what I can never get back?

No, no, if I am going to live, if I am going to have something real, it is going to be now, while I still can. While I still have this... fire, this need inside me, before I dull it or send it away by not using it. Because, yeah, sometimes it hurts me that I have to search for something without even knowing what exactly it is, but at least I still have that hurt or that, that drive inside me. It proves I haven't settled for something 'good enough' and called it maturity or growing up.

quote:

What is one thing you feel really passionate about?
Well, I think you have a pretty good idea about what occupies my mind a lot of the time by now. But I guess you're asking about other stuff, stuff you can tell other people when you're doing small talk, like 'Hi, yeah, I really care about koalas and organic local produce and the situation in Syria'? Like I said earlier - and again, I don't really like telling people that - but just like I find it hard saying what exactly makes me happy, I also find it hard to really, I mean really, care about stuff like that. Stuff that's not really... me, you know? I mean, I don't mean that in a self-centered way but sometimes it feels like other people only really care about those things to be able to, like, prove that, yes, they are a real person with real opinions, like holding up a sign at a rally.

Or maybe, again, maybe there's something wrong with me. I wish there was something I could really be passionate about. I mean, I still like stuff and can talk with others about that, so there's no problem with people thinking I'm some psycho, but real passion for something like football or who wins the election? Nope. Well, maybe it's just that when everyone else is talking about 'passion', they mean some safe, dull thing that's not real, actual passion at all, because maybe that's the best they can come up with.

Not me, though.

nil. fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 12, 2016

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011

Ferrosol posted:

They are not mechanical things more in the way of fluff. But I just wanted to get a sense of whether you were more of a Stoker vampire or a Twighlight vampire and what specific things applied to your particular vision of vampirism

Ah, right. But yeah; Stoker, but as Stoker wrote it rather than how films later adapted it.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

quote:

That's rough finding out your whole life is a lie. How do you feel about your "parents" now that you know that you're not the child they thought they had?

They're... It's really weird being around them. They still raised me, and I'm grateful for that, they're not bad people by any means... but it's not me they love, it's the girl they think I am. If they knew what I really was, would they still love me? I have to think about things like that every time I think of them. It's hosed up, isn't it? The way I feel about them is based on how scared I am about how they would feel about me if they knew the truth...

So... I've been lying to them, which is hypocritical as gently caress, I know. I'm not going to lie forever, I just need to figure out how to tell them the truth, how to convince them... and prepare myself for the fallout when I do.

quote:

To make matters worse I understand one of your friends has been lying to you. Who was it and what were they lying about? What did you do to them when you found out?

Jeff Camry, been by best friend for ages - his surname was right after mine, so we sat together in homeroom. I guess that's why it hurts the most, knowing he's a liar too. He's a good one, really makes you believe, you know? I never questioned why he always wanted to come hang out at my place, never at his. But he's been lying about his family the whole time. He says they're no good, deadbeat parents, you know? That's a lie. They're good people, and Jeff plays up a lie so people feel sorry for him, give him stuff since they feel he's been hard done by, stuff like that. I only found out when I realized the Truth about myself, and I could sense the web of lies he'd crafted around himself, and felt sick just being around him.

But I couldn't like, spill the beans on how I knew. I've given him the cold shoulder, avoided him since I found out, let him stew for a while in confusion and panic and know what it's like to know something's wrong but not be able to find out why. After that... I don't know. I really don't. But I'll figure it out then, I guess...

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Withdrawing my app, do my city justice Ferrosol

One cool/creepy thing about Chicago is that the environment can vary greatly from neighborhood to neighborhood, or even street to street. Even if you spend years traveling the same streets, you can easily go one block out of your way and find the buildings bewilderingly unfamiliar. I'd advise you to keep that in mind when a PC fails her Run Away roll. :unsmigghh:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Ferrosol posted:

Sharona Lazarescu, the Ghoul

That was you? Oh yeah I remember hearing about that never would've thought that was the story behind it. So do you remember anything at all about the guys who kidnapped you, distinguishing marks, unusual heights something like that?

Yeah, that was me. I'm kinda glad people are forgetting about it and it wasn't as much on the news over here as it was in my old neighborhood, but sometimes people still recognize me, and... I don't really like that. Nothing I can do, though.

I didn't get a really good look at them -- it was dark, and it all happened so fast. I remember they were both shorter than you'd think, though, and kind of thin, even though they were in really heavy coats? When they first got out of the SUV, I remember seeing them walk through a streetlight and thinking that they seemed kind of... oily? Like there was a weird, smooth shininess to their skin. That's really when I should have started running.

quote:

Who is the first person you took power over after your "accident"?

There was this guy, Gary, in my homeroom at my old school. He used to give me crap all the time anyway, but after I got back, it just got worse. He kept saying all this stuff about how I must have run off with a guy and gotten dumped, and how everyone could see what a skank I was, and lovely stuff like that, and one day I just... something just snapped, you know? I was hungry, and I was really sick of his poo poo, so one day after homeroom I waited for him to leave and just... cornered him against the lockers. Grabbed his wrist in one hand and twisted, hard, and told him he needed to apologize. Ordered him to apologize, like I'd never ordered anyone to do anything before. It felt, um. Really good.

He did it, too. I kept it going for a couple of weeks, just grabbing him sometimes in the hallway and telling him what I wanted. It was mostly just dumb stuff that came to mind, stuff I didn't really want but wanted to see if he'd give me, like his lunch money or this stupid shell necklace he used to wear. He always gave in. I think he would have kept it up if my parents hadn't decided it wasn't a good idea to stay in the neighborhood.

I hate myself for thinking about how fun that was.

quote:

What part of being "normal" do you miss most?

I miss my body. I mean, I miss feeling happy and comfortable in my body, you know? I was never the prettiest girl, and I never had that much money to do fashion stuff, but I really liked how I looked and I had a good time hitting up thrift stores and stuff and putting together outfits. I can't stand feeling so awful now, even though I lost a little weight and Mom says I'm "growing up so nicely," because she loves me and she's trying to be nice. I'm not growing up anymore. I'm stuck and trapped and rotting, and some days I can't even look at myself in the mirror. All of my old clothes fit funny, and I don't like buying new ones now. Makeup's the one little fashion thing that still feels okay to do, and that's just because it makes me look a little bit alive.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Questions Round 3

Question 1

David Winters the Mortal

So David, Who would be your ideal partner if you could choose anyone in the world? Would you go for looks, a sense of humour or something else altogether? What is it that makes you so sure that your going to die young? What is one thing you feel really passionate about?

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Apoloiges to anyone who was planning to app but i've done picks a day early. I'm bowled over by the quality of apps If I thought I could manage a game that big I'd take every single person. Sadly though I cannot so here's the picks. Everyone else I'm sure there will be more games along shortly and I wish you luck applying to them.

Frankie Robieson the Infernal Played by ShootaBoy
Allison Callahan the Fae Played by AdjectiveNoun
Kara Tierney the Ghost Played by Frgrbrgr
Caitlin Carlin the Gentry Played by Rauri
Sharona Lazarescu, the Ghoul Played by Antivehicular
Gabriella Boreland the Chosen Played by Godfish
David Winters the Mortal Played by nil.

String sheet is here so settle your backstory strings and see if we can get this show on the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Wa hey! Here are Frankie's backstories.

So who wants a String or two?

quote:

You owe debts. Give away 3 Strings, divided any way you like between the dark power and the other characters.
Caitlin nabbed one, David took another, and Sharona got the last one.

Caitlin is pretty much a movie cliche. She's the most popular, has perfect grades, she's rich, whole nine yards. And like some rich people she's a phi- a phe- fu- "A philanthropist." Yeah that, so she helps people out with her money sometimes. I guess that either she saw, or maybe she heard it from someone, that uhh... Well we ain't got a whole lot of money, my folks and me. We gotta make things last so I know how to sew. I only had a little kit to do it by hand for the longest time, then somehow Caitlin heard about one of the times that I fixed up my jacket or whatever in class. Now I've got little sewing machine next to the couch at home. Mr. Tobin said that it had been left at the gym for me. I mean it's nice and all, but it feels weird to just... take something like this for nothin'.

David is pretty cool I guess. Kinda weird though, sorta mopey-ish. But he's alright in my books, after he made a copy of his notes for me the morning after a vicious 5 round slugfest. Kinda hard to see the board real well when you can barely open your eyes. Need to think of a way to pay that one back.

quote:

Someone thinks they can save you. Gain a String on them.
Gabrielle grabbed it.

quote:

I'm one of Gabrielle's Monster Hunting Buddies?
Yeah so Gabrielle is what you'd call a friend I guess? I dunno she just kinda started talking to me one day. I mean I'm not complaining about it, it's just kinda weird you know? Anyway not too far back I was out jogging, I think it was about midnight, when something came out of an alley. I kinda... well I think it was a werewolf, cause it sure as hell looked like the ones from the movies. So Doc's tellin' me to get the gently caress outta there, and then there's Gabrielle, kickin' this monster in the head and shootin' fuckin' lasers and poo poo, and then both of them are off down another alley. But I know that she saw me see her, cause anytime I've tried to bring that up she dances around it or avoids the question or whatever. I know something's up and I'm gonna get an answer outta her.

ShootaBoy fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 8, 2016

• Locked thread