Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
megane
Jun 20, 2008

Good evening everyone, and welcome to the 2016 season of X-CRAWL! I'm Trace Vanderbilt, and with me here is three-time champion of chaos Reggie Martin -- though you folks at home might know him as Omar the Skullcrusher! Say hello, Reg! And we've got a great lineup for you here tonight; these kids remind of me back when I was just starting out, facing down my first hobgoblin. I sure hope they've got what it takes, because they'll need it if they're going to survive this course! That's right: tonight only, our own DJ Frostbite is back from retirement, and he's put together quite a dungeon for us! For more on that, we take you to Diane, down on the dungeon floor. Diane?

What the hell are you talking about?
X-CRAWL! Semi-pro, full-contact, no-holds-barred dungeon crawling, live on national TV! The X stands for XTREME! It's one part Gary Gygax, one part WWE, and one part American Gladiators. I'll be running this in Strike!

It's 2016, in Austin, Texas; the only real difference is that people across the USA sit down every week to watch dudes in chainmail swordfighting otyughs. X-CRAWL is a cosmopolitan sport, and all are welcome to come get themselves injured for our amusement, regardless of gender and creed; there are non-lethal nerf battles for kids, plywood dungeons built in people's backyards, and right on up to multi-million-dollar events where all-star parties fight celebrity dragons over pools of lava.

Next week is the start of the Dell 2016 NXCA Austin Open (sponsored by the Alamo Drafthouse), a nationally-televised event where anyone can compete for :gifttank: fabulous prizes :gifttank:! But it's also a chance for newcomers to make an impression, in hopes of picking up the sponsorship and popularity they need to make it into the big leagues. And that means it's your chance. Making it on the X-CRAWL circuit isn't just about being good at fighting, or magic, or dodging traps; the key is to look good doing it. Play up your injuries! Pose for the camera and make up stuff about your dark past! Snag a Mountain Dew sponsorship and then take a selfie while you chug it in the middle of combat! Build alliances with other teams and then backstab them (maybe literally) on stage in front of a cheering crowd!

Character Creation
Create a level 1 Strike character, with tactical combat included, but no kits. Rogues are fine. Feel free to make up whatever Backgrounds and Origins you want! (Don't worry too much about overlapping Roles and Classes -- they can easily be shifted around once the party's set.)

Now, tell me about your character. Do you have an on-stage identity? What town are you from? Why are you getting into this racket? Did you have experience fighting monsters, or is this your first time out? What's your color scheme? Which pro X-CRAWLer is your favorite? Who's got your back, and who might be looking to see you get eaten?

Finally, theme music is :siren:absolutely required:siren:! What kinda scrub crawler doesn't have theme music for their dramatic entrance?

Other stuff
Recruitment will tentatively be open until October 21st. If you have any questions or concerns, send me a PM, or come talk to me on IRC -- I'm usually in #swampthings and #persona. In particular, if you don't own Strike, don't worry; the system is very straightforward and easy to learn, and I can walk you through character creation pretty easily. Alternatively, buy it, it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
What's the split between PBP And roll20?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I'll just use Roll20 to keep track of tactical combat, since it works asynchronously. As in, you post what you're doing in-thread and then move your dude on Roll20 (or be lazy and make me do it).

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Interest post cos Strike is awesome.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
Oh, hell yes. Definitely going to submit a character here.

One question though: are you open to the classes from the playtest document now going around in the Strike! thread? Because I feel that an Ogre representing a two-headed giant who fights as a single-body two-person tag-team would definitely be in line with the tone of X-Crawl (although it would hinge on getting another player to work with me during character creation). Of course, if you'd rather just have the base classes plus the Rogue and not bother with the playtest classes I'd be absolutely fine with that as well.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

They're mostly fine; I'd say if you want to use one of the playtest ones, just talk to me about it first. The Ogre in particular seems okay if you can find somebody to work with.

e: Incidentally, there's a sweet character generator for Strike, built by kind goon hyphz. :yeah:

e2: Also, here's a quick guide to character creation: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1b8Fz39Infns0EVB6-4-Fm-o49UvdAz7NVIWslFvlm6A/edit

megane fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 13, 2016

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Great-grandchild of a nazi WWII magigenics experiment, Photine is one of the rare part-human part-elemental hybrids that live in the United States and parts of Europe. Young enough to have grown up watching reality TV like American Idol and Who Has Magical Talent, the young woman has grown up obsessed with her own image and dreams of fame. Combining her naturally strong voice, unusually striking appearance and a natural ability to project various forms of light from her body, Photine has consistently done just well enough in talent shows to pick up a manager, but not well enough for the various recording labels to offer her a contract that she thinks is worth her time. Her attitude doesn't help her, with everyone around her recognising her narcissistic tendencies and desire to always be the center of attention. That, combined with a desire to spring onto the music scene with instant fame rather than a slow buildup of popularity, has resulted in her turning down potential singing gigs in favor of trying to wrangle more time on the television screen, finally landing herself a slot in the Dell 2016 NXCA Austin Open. The talent scouts would be watching, and a good showing could lead to the kind of gigs she was really interested in!

Themesong: Applause by Lady Gaga

quote:

Name: Photine, the Lady of Light
Background: Performer
Origin: Demi-Elemental of Light
Level: 1
Class: Magician
Role: Blaster

Skills:
Entertainment Industry (Connections), Performance, Sleight-of-Hand, Flatter, Intimidate , Light Emittance, Witty Repartee

Wealth: Rich [2]

Complications:
Drama Queen
Literally Glowing

Tricks:
Can always play a crowd and keep them entertained.
Can always create scandal and drama

Feats:
Beam Blaster

Class Stuff:
Star Magic
Each Encounter Spell, once used, may not be used again in the following two combats. You may use at most 2 Encounter Spells in any given combat.
You gain your Reserve spell when you Rally.

Role stuff:
Multitarget Beam Blaster
When you attack, choose one of these benefits:
When you roll a 3-4 on a ranged or melee attack, deal 2 damage to one additional target within range. When you roll a 5-6 on a ranged or melee attack, deal either the power's effect or 2 damage to one additional target within range. You may use your existing squares of movement during the resolution of a Melee attack to acquire new targets. The movement grants Opportunities as usual.
Make a power with range X into a beam attack 5 squares long within X targeting all creatures in the zone. This still grants Opportunities as though it was Range X. Or, make a melee attack into a beam attack 5 squares long targeting all creatures in the zone. You may move the start of the beam one square for each square of reach you have.
Make a power with range X into a Burst 1 centered within X targeting all creatures in the zone. This still grants Opportunities as though it was Range X. Or, make a melee attack into a Burst 1 targeting all creatures in the zone. You may move the center of the zone one square for each square of reach you have.
You never hit yourself with Burst or beam attacks.

When a creature is included in the same effect multiple times from the same power, it only suffers once.

When making a Burst or beam attack, only the first attack roll may generate a Strike or lead to a Miss Trigger. You must roll your attack against the most powerful enemy first.

Powers:
Margul's Toxic Missile Sunburn - At-Will
Range 10 Damage 2 (Roll)
Effect: On a failed save, the target is Vulnerable 1 until the end of the encounter.

Melee Basic Attack - At-Will
Range 0 Damage 2 (Roll)
No effect.

Charge - At-Will
Move up to your speed to a square adjacent a creature, and make a Melee Basic Attack against it. Each square of movement must bring you closer to the target. You cannot Charge through Difficult Terrain.

The Excellent Prismatic Spray Vicious Rainbows - At-Will
Range 10 (No Roll)
Deal 2 damage to the target with no attack roll. You may gain the benefit of your Boosts as though you had rolled a 5 on the attack.

The Instant Repulsion Photonic Shove - At-Will
Damage 2 (Roll)
Effect: The target and each creature adjacent to you are pushed 3 squares.

Ranged Basic Attack - At-Will
Range 10 Damage 2 (Roll)
No effect.

Assess - At-Will
Roll a die and ask the GM that many questions from the list below.
About an enemy:

How many hit points does it have?
How would you summarize its powers?
What are its special traits?
Is it carrying anything strange or unique?
About the encounter:

Who is really in charge?
What can I use against the enemies?
What can they use against me?
Are there hidden doors or traps?
Are there hidden enemies?
Precision - At-Will
Your next Burst attack may target one additional creature adjacent to the zone, if that creature is within range 5.

Mudge's Localized Inferno Zone Of Incandescence - Encounter
Create a 7x7 zone centered within 10 squares. Each creature in the zone takes 3 damage.

Radiant Motes of the Overworld Solar Flare - Encounter
Range 10 Damage 3 (Roll)
Effect: Target is Blinded until the end of its next turn.

Practical Dome of Preservation Bent Light - Encounter
Use this power when a creature hits with an attack against you. The creature instead misses.

Rally - Encounter
No action. You may only use this on your turn, but you may use at any point in your turn, even while Incapacitated, Dominated, or under any other Status. Spend an Action Point. Regain 4 Hit Points and gain the use of your Reserve Spell.

Consistent Attack - Encounter
Trigger: You miss an enemy with an attack.
Spend an Action Point. Apply 2 damage and the attack's Effect to another enemy in range.

Reserve Spell
Mudge's Localized Inferno Incandescent Dance Floor - Encounter
Create a 7x7 zone centered within 10 squares. Each creature in the zone takes 3 damage.

Do you have an on-stage identity?
I use my own name, although the Lady of Light is catchy as hell and makes for good marketing.

What town are you from?
The City of Lost Angels, home of bright lights, movie stars, and more famous people than I can name!

Why are you getting into this racket?
Market exposure, really. I need to get some media attention before I can get a decent record label to give me a contract, and singing in bars and stuff just isn't my style.

Did you have experience fighting monsters, or is this your first time out?
Ugh, if you have ever seen what it's like backstage at a singing contest, or in the waiting room at a recording studio... you wouldn't have to ask. If you want to make it big, you can't be afraid to draw blood.

What's your color scheme?
Anything bright! Usually I stick with white, because a little light manipulation lets me change color on the fly.

Which pro X-CRAWLer is your favorite?
Bone Ken, the skeleton showman! Most showpeople stop when they get old and can't perform anymore. Ken just tossed off his flesh and kept his attitude! I just hope I can keep my enthusiasm after two centuries of doing what I love, like Bone Ken has! Granted, the guy is a total misogynistic dick that screws over his teammates far too often, but thats just good drama for the viewers.

Who's got your back, and who might be looking to see you get eaten?
Well, my manager Eisen Starhound has my back. He's been mentoring me for years, trying to get me to go big. As for who wants me to get eaten... probably all those jealous bitches who wish they had my talent, like the Siren Sisters. That's a band with three sirens, Jolie, Ida and Vern. They aren't actually sisters, but nobody can tell sirens apart... Vern isn't even actually a girl, he just dresses like one! Anyways, I beat them every time we join a talent competition, and Eisen turned them down to focus on me.

chin up everything sucks fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 19, 2016

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

This is a great idea and I want in, but first I need to check if my character concept works.

Are people from other planes/dimensions acceptable? I'm thinking of a noblewoman from there, possibly fae, visibly alien, with the attitude of a courtier from Versailles joining in a somewhat scandalous game, of the sort that gets the court gossiping about you and what a rebellious young lady you are, joining mortals in their quaint little games.

Is it too different from the tone you are going for? If that's the case I'll pick another concept.

e: also, will the game focus mostly on the dungeoneering itself? Would a social powerhouse of a character be of use in there?

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Oct 13, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
The young woman was getting uncomfortably close, an ingratiating sort of too-wide smile adorning her features. "Ah, hmm, do I sense a hint of flatulence in the air?" She begun, "A poultice to help the young gentleman with indigestion perhaps?" The youngish man, for his part, was eyeing his surroundings nervously. This oddly anachronistic little boutique with strange bottles with stranger substances inside of them, yellowed scraps of paper with faded scribblings all over , or the giant jar helpfully labeled 'eye of newt' probably wasn't the new kebab joint that supposedly started business recently.

"Um", he said, trying to get the attention of the woman, who was apparently busy digging through a drawer of some sort. As she turned back towards him however, any and all objections he might have had were immediately drowned by yet another pitch from the woman. "You seem a bit ill at ease? No luck with the ladies eh? Ooh, or perhaps you've been spurned by an ex-lover? Hoho, you rascal! But as it happens, I have just the thing for you to get back at 'er." She winks conspiratorially and waves some sort of straw doll in front of his face, apparently oblivious to the fact that the man was backing towards the door. "Or him", she continued with a shrug. "Hey I don't judge!"

"Um", the man said again, his hand now resting firmly on the doorknob. "Ah, this is not Johnny's Killer Kebab? Hailstreet 23?" The woman's smile, for its part, merely wavered the tiniest bit. "Hah, nope. This is Hallstreet 23. But if it's kebab you want, I think I have a psychedelic charm somewhere in here that makes you think whatever you're eating is kebab!" She turns around to rummage through her ill-organized belongings once again. "Well, probably not but I can always make-" the sound of a door slamming shut causes her to whirl around "-one..."

She stared on for a moment as bright pink fumes from a bottle felled by the shock of the door closing gradually filled the little room.

"Bah." She kicked the air in front of her, her smile replaced by a sour pouting expression. "Nobody respects an artisan these days."

She stomped to her register in a huff, making little twirls in the slowly expanding pink cloud, and started flipping through channels on her TV (disguised as a crystal ball, naturally), until a particular advertisement struck her eye. Her expression brightened.

Yes. Perhaps what she needed was just brand recognition. And what better way to get that than to showcase her goods in front of the whole nation?

Betty Kirlington, Alchemist and Charm Peddler

quote:

Name: Betty Kirlington
Background: Arcanist
Origin: Magical Entrepreneur (Species, Human)
Class: Illusionist (moves are reskinned though, to fit her character)
Role: Controller

Skills:
Languages, Research, Esoteric Trivia, Spellcraft, Accumulated Debris, Salesmanship, Alchemy, A hundred potions and charm

Wealth: Poor [1]

Complications:
Ditzy, Overconfident

Tricks
Can always identify the powers of an unknown magic item.
Can always scrounge together some sort of magic poultice or minor charm.

Feats:
Crafty Controller: Once per combat, when an enemy succeeds on a Saving Throw, you may make them reroll. If they succeed again, you may slide them 2 squares.

Class Stuff
Contagious Illusions: When a non­stooge enemy fails a Saving Throw against a Status derived from one of your Class Powers at the end of its turn or when attempting an Escape Roll, the nearest enemy to it also gains that same Status. If multiple enemies are equally close, you choose which it spreads to. An enemy that has successfully removed a Status cannot be re­infected with that same Status later in the fight when its ally fails a Saving Throw.

A Lil' Voodoo (At Will, Attack, Ranged 10 Damage 2): Effect: Slide target 1 square and it is Distracted (save ends).

Hypnotic Charm (At Will, Attack, Ranged 10 Damage 2): Effect: Designate one safe square on the map within 5 squares of the target that the target could feasibly get to. The target has Disadvantage on attack rolls until it moves adjacent to that square, or (save ends). Note: A safe square is one that the target could move to without taking any damage or negative status, if you and your allies were not around. For instance, damaging zones you create are not safe, but Difficult Terrain is safe. “Feasibly get to” means you can’t put it on an unclimbable cliff unless the target can fly.

Kirlinton's Kold Flame Special Brew (Encounter, Attack): Create a 5x5 zone of illusory flame. When any enemy is applying Forced Movement to one of its enemies and they could choose the flames as a possible destination, they must do so. If you or your allies attempt to move an enemy into the flame with Forced Movement, that enemy must drop Prone and attempt not to be slid there. Any enemy that ends its turn in the zone will be Panicked on its next turn ­ once finished Panicking, the enemy becomes immune to all effects of this power.

Role stuff
Control Boost: When you roll a 3 to 6 on an attack, you may choose to either Slow the target until the end of its next turn, or to slide the target 3 squares.

Sap Strength (At Will, Role, Ranged 5): Target is Weakened until the end of its next turn. (At level 4, save ends. At level 8, Weaken two targets in range.)

Freeze (Encounter, Reaction, Trigger: An enemy moves): Spend an Action Point. Replace the enemy where it started its movement. Its Move Action is still expended.

On stage I call myself Hex. It's short and catchy and easy to remember! Of course, my real name won't be secret since how else would the people know who's stuff to buy haha!

What town are you from?
I'm from Denver! My mam was in the magic business and her mam before her, and our shop has always been there.

Sales haven't been so great lately. It's all industrially enchanted biomantic creams and artificially flavored fireballs these days you know? An artisanal craftslady like myself can find herself in some pickle with such an unappreciative customer base. So, I thought, if everybody has heard about me and seen me demonstrate the superiority of my handmade, free-range magic items to that mass produced slop, well then I figure sales should shoot up in a jiffy!

Some reagents are kinda hard to come by unless you go out and rip them frm the bodies of critters by yourself. So you could say I have some experience. Nothing too big and dangerous though. Not that I couldn't handle them, mind!

Red and blue, as you can see from this outfit I made just for the competition. Pretty nifty don't you think?

Ooh, that's got to be Lady Fireball

Honestly? I kinda got this whole idea from her. Nobody had ever even heard of her before she started competing, but now her face is a valued commodity and Fireball brand potions sell like hotcakes! My hope is that my name will carry that sort of worth of value someday too.

Who's got your back,
My aunt is still in the business. She taught me a lot, even if I got most of my stuff from mom. Anyway, I think she does like magic aromatherapy or something these days? She's still a really good alchemist though so anybody who tries to besmirch the Kirlington name better watch out!

Lola Kirlington

and who might be looking to see you get eaten?
You know, sort of like this guy?

This here is a no-talent hack by the name of Andrew Smith, and he claims to be in the same trade as me! Though I know better, he's nothing but a slimy little hexweaver and untrustworthy weasel. I tell you, if you ever come to Denver I advice you to give his place of business a wide berth. I hear he turned a customer into a rat once and let me tell you I would not be surprised if that was true!

Theantero fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 16, 2016

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Russel Nold, "Cleric" of Dominus, God of Kicking rear end Victory!
Entrance theme:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wuA9V_sqRA
Character theme:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEGbjR1Y9Qo

Russel is a local who is fresh out of wizarding college and eager to throw his lot in with XCrawlers to pay off his student loans.

The problem with that idea is that everyone else had it too. There's so many wizards that most teams aren't even paying them. They're just competing with the hope of succeeding and moving up into the higher leagues. So... he came up with an even better idea. He'll just pretend to be a cleric! Too many churches have rules against using divine miracles to get rich, so there's a much smaller stable for them. Thus, teams actually have to pay their cleric, and with enough credits in blow off classes like history of religion, Russel is convinced he can fake it.

Granted, he hasn't actually fought monsters before, but he's practiced enough against dummies that he's pretty sure he can pass off his wizard magic as miracles. And, as they say, everyone needs a healer, right?

quote:

Background: Arcanist
Skills: Languages, Research, Esoteric Trivia, Spellcraft, Accumulated Debris, Poor [1]
Complications: Student Loans: Turns out making deals with the devils that run the banks had a bunch of strings, and now he's gotta get a lot of money, really quickly.
Tricks: Identify Magic Item: An Arcanist always knows what power that weird relic must hold.

Origin: Community (Wizard) College Graduate
Skills: Comparative Religions, Bullshitting

Personalize
Skill: X Crawl Trivia: Russel grew up on this schlock, and he knows all sorts of crazy info from absorbing the announcer's commentary.
Complication: Star Struck: Russel's living the dream right now, and he's bound to gawk at any remotely famous XCrawler.
Tricks: Cast Iron Stomach: Between general college student hunger, stupid dares, and months of testing alchemy lab results on himself, Russel can consume anything without risk of nausea, disease, or poison.

Class: Magician
Chaos Adept: At level one, choose two At-Will Spells and three Encounter Spells.
At the start of each combat, number your Encounter Spells from one to three and roll a die to find which one you have available for this encounter
When you roll a 6 on an attack, you get a Chaos Surge: you may choose to apply an effect line from a randomly chosen Encounter Spell you don’t know instead of doing extra damage.

The Excellent Prismatic Spray
At-Will 10 range
Deal 2 damage (3 damage at level 5) to the target with no attack roll.
Special: For any Role, you may gain the benefit of your Boosts as though you had rolled a 5 on an attack.

The Instant Repulsion
At-Will/Melee/2 damage
Effect: The target and each creature adjacent to you are pushed 3 squares.

Horwell’s Offensive Amalgam (#1)
Encounter 10 range
Effect 1: 3 damage.
Effect 2: Target is Immobilized (save ends).
Effect 3: Target takes Ongoing 2 Damage (save ends).
Effect 4: Target is Panicked on its next turn.
Special: On a 3, the target is subject to one of the above four lines.
On a 4, the target is subject to two of the lines.
On a 5, the target is subject to three of the lines.
On a 6, as a 5, plus 3 damage.

Radiant Motes of the Overworld (#2)
Encounter/10 range/3 damage
Effect: Target is Blinded until the end of its next turn.

Furz’s Undeniable Command (#3)
Encounter/10 range/3 damage
Effect: Immediately spend an Attack Action for the target.
Only At-Will Powers may be used.

Roll: Leader
Tactics
Encounter
One ally of your choice may spend a Move Action immediately. (At level 8, two allies.)
When you roll a 5 or 6 on an attack, you gain an additional use of this power:

Heal
Encounter, Range 5
Target may regain Hit Points equal to half its maximum (round down).
The target may pick one of the following options (at level 8, pick two options):
-If the target is Prone, they may stand up. If this brings the target to full health, they may have Advantage on their next attack.
-Enemies have Disadvantage to attack the target until the end of the target’s next turn.
-The target may make a Saving Throw against one Status that allows one or attempt to escape a Grab. (At level 8, add to the list this option: the target may remove one Strike against them.)

Try again!
Encounter Reaction
Trigger: An ally makes an attack and dislikes the result.
Spend an Action Point. The ally may reroll the attack.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

What level of lethality are you going for here? Do all combatants normally walk/get carried away after a fight with some level of medical attention/magic? Or is it more Smash TV high body count?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

ElegantFugue posted:

What level of lethality are you going for here? Do all combatants normally walk/get carried away after a fight with some level of medical attention/magic? Or is it more Smash TV high body count?

Dungeon Masters create thematic dungeons that adventurers fight through on TV. It's less American Gladiator and more Legend of the Hidden Temple. Solve puzzles and riddles, defeat or avoid the guardians (who may be paid employees acting out a script) in order to get to the treasure at the end.

According to the setting, one famous dungeon master is a balrog who used to act as a dungeon boss.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

I'll make an interest post and then forget to post something!

megane
Jun 20, 2008

paradoxGentleman posted:

e: also, will the game focus mostly on the dungeoneering itself? Would a social powerhouse of a character be of use in there?

A social maven is fine; you'll be dealing with cameras and fans and angry managers.

ElegantFugue posted:

chin up is pretty much right. People die occasionally, but it's pretty rare; there are healers on staff to fix you up after you get turned to stone or whatever. Just try to avoid swallowing a sphere of annihilation or something.

Apps look good!

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

The Phoenix Queen (Cheng Kaili)

Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0eA77tzj1Q

The Phoenix Queen (you have to say the "the," she insists,) is a former opera star, now sadly disgraced by unspecified scandal, seeking a new career incognito in the depths of the dungeon!

Or perhaps she is a former pro wrestler, also sadly disgraced, etc etc.

Or maybe she's both.

Honestly? She's so good a liar it hardly matters.

That's why she calls herself the Phoenix Queen- always reborn from the ashes of whatever ruined her latest endeavor, under a new face, a new name, a new conceit. Malleable, morphing to the flow.

Beneath the mask is a girl named Cheng Kaili. Probably. A girl by that name vanished from a small town in central China some 20 years back, so that much checks out. Fleeing a life of catering to American tourists for pocket change and marrying the lunkhead from down the street.

But that's the past, darling. Now, the fabulous Phoenix Queen is taking the stage in Austin.

The crowd will go wild.

Background: Opera Star By Day
Skills: Memorization, Disguise, Temptation, Stealing the Limelight, Rich [2]
Complications: Scandal The Phoenix Queen does not say why, but their original identity had to leave the opera world. In a hurry.
Tricks: The Crowd Adores A Star: The Phoenix Queen always knows the best way to exploit an emotional moment for the fans

Origin: Wrestler by Night
Skills: Grappling, Taking a Hit

Personalize
Skill: Deception
Complication: Pursuing A True Self: What's actually under the mask? Even the Phoenix Queen isn't certain. Too many false identities and lies have piled on.
Tricks: Method Acting: The Phoenix Queen can always act the part- whether she can look the part, that's more up to the judges.

Class: Martial Artist

Stances:

Shoot Style
While you are in this stance, add the following effect to all your melee attacks: Grab the target. While you are in this stance, if an attack misses you while you have an enemy Grabbed, the Grabbed enemy takes 2 damage.

Limelight Style
While you are in this stance, add the following effect to all your melee attacks: Target is Distracted (save ends). While you are in this stance, enemies adjacent to you cannot take advantage of Opportunities granted by your allies.

Showboat Style
While you are in this stance, add the following effect to all your melee attacks: Shift 2 squares. While you are in this stance, you may Shift 2 squares as a Move Action.

Focused Attack
Encounter Free Action
On your next attack, treat your stances as though they were one tier higher for the effect and add one to the damage line of the attack. Until the start of your next turn, treat all your stances as though they were one tier higher for the passive effect. (e.g. treat Python Style as Greater Python Style) Commentary: If you have multiple uses of Focused Attack, you may use two of them simultaneously in order to further increase your damage and to treat X Style as Supreme X Style.

Role: Defender

Defense Boost:
When you take 3 or more damage, Resist 1. When you roll a 3 to 6 on an attack, regain 1 Hit Point.

Stickiness Boost:
When an enemy grants you an Opportunity, it takes 1 additional damage. You gain the Mark power:
Mark At-Will RNG 5
Target is Marked by you until the end of its next turn. (At level 4, Mark two targets in range. At level 8, three targets.)

No Sell Encounter Interrupt
Trigger: An enemy hits you with an attack. Spend an Action Point. The attack misses instead.

Feat: Wrestler – You have Advantage on escape rolls. Enemies have Disadvantage on rolls to escape your Grabs. When granted an Opportunity by an adjacent enemy, you may forgo dealing damage and it is Grabbed instead.

More accurately, the Phoenix Queen lacks an off-stage one

What town are you from?
That's classified.

For the money, darling. I have exquisite tastes and without some sort of income, well... And I can't exactly go back.

The Phoenix Queen may have some experience. I did many things in my misspent youth. It has been a long time.

Red, for luck, and gold, for power.

David Umehara, the Conquering Flame - Leader Singer, Konvection

The Phoenix Queen admits a fondness for the flashy sorts, and nothing is flashier than someone who can do his own stage show. Including the pyrotechnics.

Who's got your back, and who might be looking to see you get eaten?
Who has my back? Nobody, alas. The Phoenix Queen stands alone. I am not, after all, known to be terribly trustworthy. I could probably use someone to watch my back. Someone here is... well, I left my last career under bad circumstances. Someone here is looking to recover some debts I left behind from my hide. I just don't know who.

K Prime fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 16, 2016

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Gotta think of something but definitely going to app.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Ratpick posted:

Oh, hell yes. Definitely going to submit a character here.

One question though: are you open to the classes from the playtest document now going around in the Strike! thread? Because I feel that an Ogre representing a two-headed giant who fights as a single-body two-person tag-team would definitely be in line with the tone of X-Crawl (although it would hinge on getting another player to work with me during character creation). Of course, if you'd rather just have the base classes plus the Rogue and not bother with the playtest classes I'd be absolutely fine with that as well.

Hey Ratpick, are you still open to playing as an Ogre? The idea I had earlier proved a bit too out there. I can play Magic without a problem if you'd like to be Might! We should just decide how to fluff it first: literal two-headed giant? The classical "little guy on the shoulders of big guy"? Two combining robots? I'd be in favor of the last one, because magitech bots are cool.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I'm callin' myself interested. Let's see what I can cook up.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Janine Joplin

Theme!
"I AM! JANINE JOPLIN! AND I AM A BIG! drat! DEAL!" The crowd whoops, call and response. The image pauses, Youtube buffering. "Terrible match. Just garbage. Left at the right time, definitely the right time." Janine attempts to convince herself she has absolutely not made a terrible mistake flying several thousand miles to change careers midstream. At least here you hit the minotaur with a sword instead of a kendo stick. And Texas is south enough from home to avoid the guilt. And the curses. Some drat fool back home would have done something by now to bring magical wrath on the family entire. It was an ancient and honored tradition.

Janine Joplin, former professional wrestler with stints in four continents. She had been taught to work the mat in the Manticore Den, backdropped dragon men in Mexico, spent five years running up and down Japan punching anything too stupid to move out of the way. Poor family, poor education, little opportunity. Witch's curses. Taking to the ring was a way not to think on any of it, make purses out of sow's ears. Her family was Ozark Mountain folk, with a bad tendency to anger people with more magic than mercy. Janine woke up dead one morning, on account of some tree feathered years ago with a silver bullet (Not the only way to kill a witch, according to the lore, but quick. Never permanent but close to.) was chopped down and the associated witch getting mighty testy about being temporarily inconvenienced by dying themselves. That was the last straw. Now she was mildly famous, but not satisfied in the slightest. Going into a dungeon wasn't really more dangerous than a ring, but you can sell drat near anything while doing it. No more selling t-shirts at a table outside the VFW, no. Janine Joplin is here to sell out and buy in.

quote:

Name: Janine Joplin
Background: Professional Wrestler
Origin: Wight Trash Undead
Class: HARDCORE (reskinned Necromancer)
Role: Striker

Skills:

Cutting A Promo
Dealing with The Management
Folkways
Selling Merch
Shoot Fighting
Speak The Local Language
Talking Blue Collar
Work Fighting

Wealth
: Poor [1]

Complications:
Hillbilly: If in polite or uppercrust company, Janine will make a complete rear end of herself.

The Ol' Family Problem: Janine's family line has been cursed by witchfolk, repeatedly. The undead thing may just be the beginning.

Tricks
Grave Endurance: Always able to do physical labor, no matter how long it takes.

Rudo: Always able to win a clean fight by making it a dirty one

Feats:
Savage Striker:When your attack reduces an enemy's Hit Points to 2 or less, they are Taken Out. This does not apply to Goons or Stooges.

Class Stuff
Marked for Death
The first time you hit each non-Stooge enemy with an attack and deal damage, give it the Mark of Death.

Brutale!
When a creature with your Mark of Death is taken out, each enemy within 3 squares of it and each other creature with your Mark of Death takes 1 damage and must make a Saving Throw. If they fail, they are Distracted until the end of their next turn.

Ring Psychology
At Will, Attack, Melee/Ranged 5 Damage 2
Effect: If your target is Taken Out before the start of your next turn, you gain Advantage on your first attack on your next turn and may ask one question from the Assess list. (If your group prefers it, you need not be restricted to the Assess list; ask any question and the target must answer honestly.)

Kidney Shot
At Will, Attack, Melee/Ranged 5 Damage 2
Effect: 1 Ongoing Damage and the target cannot regain Hit Points (save ends).

Crimson Mask
At Will, Attack, Melee Damage 2
Effect: On the target's next turn, they must spend a Move Action to make their best effort to move as far away from you as possible with one action, or else take 3 damage.

Ask Your Kin A Favor
Encounter, Ranged 10
Special: May only target undead creatures.
The target makes a Saving Throw. If it fails, it is Dominated until the end of the encounter.

Hell's In This Cell
Encounter, Attack, Ranged 5, Damage 3
Effect: Until the end of the encounter, whenever the target ends its turn within 5 squares of you, it is Harried and Distracted until the end of its next turn.

Role stuff
Damage Boost
When you roll a 2-5 on an attack, deal 1 extra damage to the target. When you roll a 6, deal 2 extra damage.

Quick Shift
You may shift 1 square.

Strike Back
Trigger: An enemy hits you with an attack.
Spend an Action Point. Make an attack against the triggering enemy.

This IS my on-stage identity, idiot. You think I would use my real name in the ring? Of course not. It got sold to a demon before I was born to pay back the family debt. I use this one, otherwise 32 percent of all earnings are liable for seizure by infernal revenue.

What town are you from?
Oh my I wonder where I could possibly be from considering my name which was carefully crafted to give a sense of character and location?

Webb City, actually. But no one's heard of Webb City so we'll all say Joplin and move on to the next question.

Because I'm going to be selling more than Tapout gear and shirts I made with my own face on them. I'm not going to end up retired with bad knees, a lingering concussion, and an empty bank account. I'm going to be retired with bad knees and a McMansion in Tampa. I'm going to be on cereal boxes, page one of sport sections, the red carpet for that ESPN award show they do. I'm going to grab that brass ring and yank until it taps. And then I'll never have to go back home.

You better believe it. Steve Auroch, Dungeon Zone Wrestling back in 2012. Tornado Tag against the Bullitt Club with Don Slime and Diana Gorgona. El Hijo Del Liche Jr in Brawloween XVII. All shoot, all real. I did hit a skeleton with a railroad spike and he did try to cry.

Skeletons can't cry, but they can tap.

I go for blues, purples, the sort of thing that matches my complexion. My grey, dead complexion. Yellow, too. It pops against the whole. Dead grey thing.

Lily Thorne used to train people at The Manticore's Den. Not wrestling, even the strong style catch stuff. She was MMA all the way, and weapons training. Jousting, that sort of thing. Knock 'em off the horse then choke them out, you know. And now she holds records for amount of damage inflicted in a dungeon. To enemies, to dungeons, to other teams, to staff. Completely unhinged, completely clinical. Just watch her face in the Tokyo Crawl Classic last year. She's completely calm, even when she cleaves that chimera in half on the backswing. Effortless. I don't think she knows how to sweat. I don't either but she is also alive so that's way more impressive. You think she'd remember me?

Who's got your back

Well, Skelly Bonnegan is a cool guy. He's a lawyer, does a lot of work with undead rights cases. Skelly was a big fan of mine when I was working down in Mexico and the southwest, and since I was in Austin I thought I'd meet with him. Apparently he's a bit of a big deal? I don't really know.

who might be looking to see you get eaten?

I ain't got nothing to say to that. The Pomme De Terre Lake Hag is none my business, kin be damned.

Mr. Maltose fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 14, 2016

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Jen Hensan - The Wizzard
Entrance theme!

Everyone knows illusions, man. Back in the dirt ages we used them to hide treasures and fool barbarians into thinking a pit of acid was a hot spring. Nowadays we use these light shows for all kinds of things - news, business, advertising...

Games.

I grew up on three things - the X-CRAWL live specials, the illusiogames I got with my hard-earned pocket money, and McDragos. Can't say I attribute anything to the fast food, but the first two are why I'm here. I've always wanted to crawl. It's in my soul, dude. But I loved the games even more. So I figured I'd stick them together. Make the ultimate combo. Better than peanut butter and jelly.

Sure, it's illegal to take the safeties off the consoles, make them give up control of the simulation to the user. That can get people hurt, or killed. And, yeah, people don't like that technically I'm not doing the running. My boys are. Some people are even mad that they're not real summons. But hell with them. I make the Minor League crowds go wild. They love the retro stuff. They've never seen anything like it, and they want me to go all the way. They wanna see my name in lights! The Wizzard!

And I'm gonna take them there.

quote:

Jen Hensan

Background - X-Crawl Minor Leaguer
Skills: Dungeon Crawling, Illusion Theory, Greasy Charm, Tinkering, The Retrollusion Modders, Poor[1]
Trick: Illusion Fanatic - Jen has worked with illusions for so long, he can tell if something is real or not unless it's a really high-end spell.

Origin - Games Fanatic
Skills: Games Trivia, Scavenging
Complication: Illegal Modder - Jen's mods to the games consoles are illegal, and the lawyers are breathing down his neck.

Personal
Skill: Bazaar Haggling
Trick: Bargain Hunter - Jen's career of haggling for parts and cantrips lets him always spot and separate valuable items from the junk.
Complication: Bad with Money - Jen keeps spending his cash on bullshit, and it's starting to bite back.

Gear
Gen-Aegis console: for his summons
X-Crawl outfit
Artificer tools

Class: PRO GAMER (Summoner)
Rez Construct
In each encounter you may summon one Elemental or Fey, one Angel or Daemon, and one Greater Being, regardless of how many such powers you know. You may spend a Move action to command all your summoned creatures to take a Move action. When you summon a creature, you gain access to its associated at-will power; when you use it, you treat the creature as the origin of the power. Summoned creatures have Basic Attacks, count as allies, and can take advantage of Opportunities. You gain your Role Boost when making attacks through the summoned creatures. When a summoned creature reaches 0 HP, it is Taken Out and you take one Strike.

Your summoned creatures deal 2 damage with their basic attacks.

Role: Striker
+X Damage
When you roll a 2-5 on an attack, deal 1 extra damage to the target. When you roll a 6, deal 2 extra damage.

C-C-C-Combo Breaker - Encounter
Trigger: An enemy hits you with an attack.
Spend an Action Point. Make an attack against the triggering enemy.

Flash Step - Encounter
You may shift 1 square.

Feat: Reliable Summoner
Whenever you do not hit with an Encounter Power, you still summon the creature, but do not expend the power. If you use a summoning power several times by this method, you do not resummon the creature; the existing summoned creature is the source. If the summoned creature is Taken Out, you cannot use the summoning power even if it is not expended. When you roll a 3 on an Encounter Power attack roll, it counts as a 4.

quote:

Summons

Elf Ranger - the classic unit from the classic RTS Warmake.
(Reskin of Trooper)

http://adamsdoyle.com/androidnetrunner
Skele.EXE - Recurring foe from the Nightrunner RPG series.
(Reskin of Shadow)

http://gkrit.deviantart.com/art/Heatman-348457613
HeatDude - a boss character from platformer Mega Action X.
(Reskin of Fire Elemental)

http://devindraleonis.deviantart.com/art/Bowser-KKG-429507254
King Kowsah - the semi-comic villain of the Super Jumpman franchise.
(Reskin of Earth Elemental)

You kidding me? Everyone's heard of the Wizzard! The up and coming kid from the boonies who figured out how to summon despite not having a drop of magic in his blood. I'm the real underdog story, man. You better believe it.

What town are you from?
Sunnyspace, middle of nowhere. Born to human dad and elf mom. Got my good looks from her and my inability to cast even a simple cantrip from my dad. Most interesting thing was when the Rovers came into town every month looking to hawk stuff. They might drive vans and wear shirts now, but the traders still keep lovely towns like Sunnyspace alive. That's where I got the consoles from to start with, and the old X-Crawl tapes. They made my start possible, man.

What else am I gonna do? I breathe this poo poo man. I eat X-Crawl and poo poo X-Crawl. This is my life now. Even if it is gonna be short. I'm gonna see my name in loving lights and hear the roar of the stadium and I will loving burn like a neutron star. You watch me.

I've done some minor league runs before with monsters in. That's how I got my name noticed by the big players. Every one's been a new challenge, you know? Some curveball thrown, some malfunction, some twist or turn. it's the wild west down in the minor leagues, man. Hope I can step it up for the big time. This ain't gonna be a bunch of chain-link fences in an abandoned quarry, that's for sure.

Green and pink, baby. That''s how I roll. Makes me pop against these grey and brown scrublords.

The Broken Lady owns! She's a badass undead lady who doesn't, like, ever speak, but she's super pro! Nobody knows where she's come from - maybe the circut's put her in as a plant, like someone they wanna test future champs against. But man, you should see her bladework! It's as clean as anything! She was always on the tapes I watched as a kid. That was before that... thing happened, and she left. Wonder what happened to her?

Who's got your back and who might be looking to see you get eaten?
I'm always in touch with the Retrollusion Modding Community. They love taking apart all the old consoles and seeing what makes them tick. They helped me figure out how to get my summoning generators running in the first place. I've got a few close buddies in there who can help me out if I'm in a jam. Not dropping their names, though - console modding is technically illegal, and I don't wanna get anyone into trouble.

As for assholes?

Wilbur the Wonderful is an old-school summoner. And he motherfucking hates my guts. He keeps calling me out. Says that I'm gauche, unstylish, crude, and that he's gonna run a train on me when we meet up. I get it, dude, you're a sore loser. You hosed up that one time in Maine when you hosed up a summon and nearly got eaten. But don't take that out on me. It's not like I made you lose. I didn't touch you. Well, okay, I may have pushed past you. A bit. But you ought to have that down by now! Anyway I'm gonna kick his rear end.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 16, 2016

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
EXO

Theme

Background coming soon. I took the bard class from the playtest document, I hope that's okay.

pre:
BACKGROUND: Pop Culture Icon
- Skills: A-list Celebs (connections), Arcane Music Theory, Social Media, Work the Crowd, Electronics, Rich [2]
- Trick: I'm On The List - Exo can get into any party.

ORIGIN: Faceless
- Skills: Bluffing, Voice Mimicry
- Complication: Exposed! - Exo feels uncomfortable when unmasked, especially in the public eye.

PERSONALIZE:
- Skill: Fashion Design
- Complication: Former Addict
- Life of the Party: Exo can always put on a performance worth watching and use it to get attention.

GEAR:
- "Gigatron", Custom-made analog modeling keytar synthesizer and personal sound system
- Stage outfit, including voice modulating helmet
- Latest smartphone
- Flashy car
pre:
CLASS: Bard
ROLE: none

FEATURES
Group Mascot (Agression)
When you are first Bloodied, one ally may make an attack. When you Rally, one  
ally recharges an Encounter Power from their Class (for classes like the Magician 
or Shapechanger who don’t simply recover an Encounter Power when they Rally, 
they may benefit as though they had Rallied but without regaining HP).

ACTION TRIGGER:
Turning the Tide	Interrupt
Trigger: One of your allies is Taken Out, or all of your allies are bloodied. 
Spend an Action Point. One ally (even one that was Taken Out) may Rally 
without spending an Action Point and without it counting against their use 
of Rally for the encounter.

CHORDS:
Chord of Freedom	At-Will
Ends a Status on target ally
Chord of Woe		At-Will
Target is Harried until the end of their next turn.

MELODIES:
Melody of Movement	At-Will
Each ally may take a Move Action.
Riff: Nearest ally may teleport their speed as their Move Action.

Melody of Pain		At-Will 
While you play this, each non­-Stooge enemy takes Ongoing 1 damage.
Riff: The nearest enemy takes Ongoing 2 damage (save ends).

Melody of Endurance	Encounter
While you play this, each ally has Regeneration 2.
Riff: Nearest ally additionally regains 2 HP.

FEATS:
Minor Leader: Once per encounter, you may slide an ally 3
squares as a Free Action. Additionally, once per encounter you
may spend your Role Action to allow you or an ally to regain 2 HP
(increase this to 3 HP at level 4 and 4 HP at level 8).

Hardcordion fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 16, 2016

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Right, time for some feedback and questions!

Photine: Looks done!
So... how do a human and an elemental end up together? What happened that time you let your temper get the better of you, and why wasn't as big a disaster as it might have been? Do you write your own songs?

Betty Kirlington: I'm fine with the Illusionist, but Contagious Illusions seems to me like it could be a bookkeeping nightmare. I won't say "no" to it outright, but I might ask you to change it if it turns out . Otherwise, looks done!
Which potion have you sworn you'll never brew, and why does your aunt think you should? What's the most precious ingredient there is? What rumor did you hear about the dungeon you're going to be facing?

Russel Nold: You get to pick a Feat, and don't forget to answer the questions up top.
What's the weirdest god you've heard of? Which class did you blow off the hardest, and why are you wishing you'd paid more attention? Who's got your little scheme figured out, and what are you gonna do about it?

The Phoenix Queen: Looks done!
What do you miss most about the lives you've left behind you? Which enemy do you most yearn to face, and which are you most terrified of? Who has been haunting your steps since you arrived, and what do they want?

Janine Joplin: Looks done!
What's it like, being dead? Which other newbie contestant has already gotten all up in your face, and are you gonna just take that from them? How have your wrestling fans reacted to your sudden change of heart?

Jen Hensan: I think you're missing a Feat and a second At-Will.
Which X-Crawl event did you stay up way too late to watch when you were a kid? When that one kiddie crawl went south in a hurry, who was there to save your rear end? Which game are you pretty much world-class at?

EXO: Gonna let you finish before I do feedback.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

megane posted:

Betty Kirlington: I'm fine with the Illusionist, but Contagious Illusions seems to me like it could be a bookkeeping nightmare. I won't say "no" to it outright, but I might ask you to change it if it turns out .

Sure, that works for me. Was undecided between that and Impenetrable Illusions anyway. We'll see how it works out if I get picked. Also, edited my class power names to fit the reskin.

megane posted:

Which potion have you sworn you'll never brew, and why does your aunt think you should?

Ooh, so, aunty is great and all and I love 'er to bits, but she does have some weird fixations if you know what I'm saying. Like, she's pretty ruthless when it comes to competition. Says that if I can brew something that can give me an edge I should. But still, my mam always was against transformation brews, and she taught me to be wary of them too. And you can bet your butt you won't find any in Betty's Brew and Charm Boutique! Sure, it could be useful to just turn giant and squash some meanie on occasion, but when those potions go wrong they go really wrong. And I can't have that kind of thing on my shoulders you know? Betty Kirlington has standards! But if you have some sort of odd, overpowering need to transform yourself into a rat, you should probably turn to this one scum sucking bottom feeder I happen to know. He'll do anything for a buck! Just don't be surprised if you'll be stuck with a tail for the rest of your life.

megane posted:

What's the most precious ingredient there is?

Hah! Now that's elementary! Even the lil' alchemist apprentice still trying to get a feel for the mortar and pestle knows that the most universally valuable ingredient is the black lotus flower!

I say 'universally', because it's not strictly needed for any particular potion, like, say, you might need dragon's blood for a fire-breath potion worth a drat (don't be fooled by those that claim that chilipeppers work just as well, they're charlatans the lot of 'em). But, anything, and I mean anything can be supercharged with some lotus. Want your metamorphosis brew to have permanent effects? Add some lotus. Want your thunderstone to be loud enough to level a building? Add some lotus. You catch my drift I hope, hah.

Too bad it's really rare. My aunt has one petal in this fancy showcase, and I'm pretty sure it's her most valuable belonging. Doubt she'll ever use it for anything though, she just likes to keep it on display to convince customers that she's the real deal.

megane posted:

What rumor did you hear about the dungeon you're going to be facing?

Funny thing. I was in the Witch's Market the other day, trying to buy me some scales of the Texas Widebrim Wywern to fill up my stock, but the merchant was totally trying to rip me off! Now of course, Betty Kirlington is not the kind of gal to take that sort of thing lying down, so I gave 'im what for! I was just about to let 'im hear it when he got all defensive, said that the supply's gotten low since there's a temporary hunting ban near the Rio Grande leyline crossing where they and a bunch of other magical desert critters like to dwell. Apparently there's something going on there and they don't want third parties around messing it up.

Word in the street is, X-CRAWL hunters have been sighted near the place, and everybody's thinking that some sort of desert themed dungeon must be in the works. Why would they else be so interested in that place?

Theantero fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 16, 2016

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

megane posted:

Jen Hensan: I think you're missing a Feat and a second At-Will.

Fixed!

quote:

Which X-Crawl event did you stay up way too late to watch when you were a kid?

Oh, man, it was the winner. The big event. X-Crawl: Beatdown! vs. RUN. That one was special - they never did anything like it again because of how much money they lost from it, but that's because they went balls out for it. They put the Broken Lady against Mr Macho - he was the top guy of the RUN brand at the time - up on the Pyramid of Tzun. The biggest death gauntlet of the day, man! The Broken Lady just beat Mr Macho to the top, 'cause he spent too long trying to suplex a stone golem and that cost him a few seconds. Then there was the Kobold Karnage event, where they just let loose a bunch of Kobolds in a dungeon and let the dungeoneers try and deal with it. That's how Ranger McCaffery's career ended, you know. Up and coming woman, good gimmick, had potential. Kobold severed her achilles, she was done. Never ran again. Tragic poo poo.

quote:

When that one kiddie crawl went south in a hurry, who was there to save your rear end?

Okay, the one crawl? Man, okay, so, in the boonies you set up what you got. Walls made outta chainlink fences, jury-rigged fire traps, that kind of poo poo. Most of the time it doesn't work right and the most dangerous thing you get is the possibility of tetanus from a rusty nail. But sometimes they put a bit of money in. And so imagine you're going through the dungeon, you can hear the crowd above you, and then people start screaming. Because some motherfucker thought that a roaming boss monster would be a good idea, and so he bought a cockatrice and stuck it in there.

Okay, so these things are hosed up. Some mad alchemy in them. They can breathe poison gas or shoot lightning out of their eyes or sweat all kinds of toxin. They always look like they wanna die, too. Anyway, I go around the corner and this thing is screaming and kicking and barfing acid all around the place, and then it sees me. And I am probably gonna die. No construct in the world is gonna stop this. All I had back then was some thing wispy version that looked like what HeatDude does on a good day. So I'm dead, right?

Junk comes out of nowhere and saves my life. She'd been around for a while - people still hadn't got used to Warforged out in the sticks, but she made friends and people liked her. We were friends before this. She beat me a bunch at games. She came up behind it and decapitated the thing like it weren't no sweat. Run got called off - bunch of people got hit with acid and half the dungeon was melted to sludge. Didn't stop future runs, though! Oh, and we dated for a bit, but didn't last. I hope she's doing alright.

quote:

Which game are you pretty much world-class at?[

Single or multiplayer? I'm multidiscplinary. Single player, it's Super Jumpman. I speedrun that poo poo every day. It keeps me focused. Multiplayer, I'm a mean Urban Fighter 2 player. Vanilla, none of these re-release gimmicks. And of course, I'm always on the X-Crawl official games. Not much in the way of training, but they're a nice break. Done some funny glitches with those - the sim doesn't dump out memory locations co-ordinates often enough, so the longer you play the weirder things get. You end up watching the characters try and open chests from fifty feet away or run through walls. Not a bad way to kill an hour.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

megane posted:

The Phoenix Queen: Looks done!
What do you miss most about the lives you've left behind you? Which enemy do you most yearn to face, and which are you most terrified of? Who has been haunting your steps since you arrived, and what do they want?

What do I miss? Well, having someone else to do all the costuming and makeup and oh god, the hair. Doing it all myself takes hours, and then it all gets ruined anyway.

What? Not do it? Are you mad?

Now, as for enemies.... I've always wanted to suplex an ettin. The contrast would great- beauty and elegance just dumping a big two-headed brute on both his heads. Real crowd pleaser.

On the other hand, I really, really don't want to deal with any beholders. Too many eyes. Incredibly creepy, and I'd look like a right fool throwing one around. It'd look like a damned volleyball match!

Oh, so you've spotted her too?

I don't even know her name, but she's somehow managed to follow me no matter what I go. Maybe she's the only person who's figured me out, or maybe she's just lucky, or maybe she's just some sort of obsessive media consumer. But she keeps finding me.

She always tries to get me alone sometime. I always say no, but she never gives up. Last job, I had people to herd her away... might be harder now.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

How do a human and an elemental end up together?
So, if you bothered to pay any attention to history class in school (and I'll admit, I didn't, so don't feel bad), you might remember World War Two. Nazi's trying to figure out how to turn humans into the legendary Super Aryans so they could win the war. Well, towards the end of the war, they were getting desperate and started using magic to literally infuse captured Allied elementals into volunteers to try and make Super-soldiers. It kind of worked, but the volunteers at that point were largely kids who surrendered when they were hurt, instead of fighting to the death. So after the war, you had a bunch of part elemental teenagers in the American PoW program... which put the kids on American farms to serve as labor. Most of them stayed in the US, and ended up marrying and having kids... and it turns out that the elemental part of them breeds true. There has been some discussion in the UN and Congress about having us labeled as a new species, but it hasn't gone anywhere yet, so I still have to mark Human (Mixed - Other) on the census.

What happened that time you let your temper get the better of you, and why wasn't as big a disaster as it might have been?
Oh, are you talking about that talent contest, where one of the judges insulted me on camera? Ugh, that's going to haunt me for forever. Anyways, so when I get incoherently angry, I start leaking light everywhere with no control. Lucky for me, it's not blinding bright, that takes more focus than I have at that point... but I can't pick what spectrum is emitted, and, well... like you saw on the video, I start to strobe random light colors like I'm at a rave. I didn't make it to the next round, but the audience loved it, so...

Do you write your own songs?
Of course I do! Well, some of them.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Does X-Crawl have any place for a curmudgeon who hates the games and everything they stand for? Someone who enlists because they think the games make a mockery of proper, meaningful violence and the show-runners need to be taken down a peg. I'm not sure how the face/heel dynamic would work in a quasi-cooperative environment, but definitely someone the audience would love to hate.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

A heel is fine, sure. If you really hate it though, why are you participating? Is it just a show for the cameras?

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

It's all a bunch of dolled-up bullshit, it's fake! Only an outsider can bring honesty back into the 'crawl. Someone who's been in the trenches and knows a thing or two about REAL dungeons. It'll be a piece of cake, these kids'll be shown their place, and dungeoneering will finally be treated with the respect it deserves. Not like some kind of game. (Naturally he's gonna be in for some nasty surprises.)

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Abyssal Squid posted:

It's all a bunch of dolled-up bullshit, it's fake! Only an outsider can bring honesty back into the 'crawl. Someone who's been in the trenches and knows a thing or two about REAL dungeons. It'll be a piece of cake, these kids'll be shown their place, and dungeoneering will finally be treated with the respect it deserves. Not like some kind of game. (Naturally he's gonna be in for some nasty surprises.)

Most monster volunteers and NPCs (lackeys who carry your weapons and poo poo) are protected by enchantments that will teleport them out if they are in danger of death. You should do your best to kill creatures before the enchantment can trigger the teleport, just to make poo poo more real.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Working on a Duelist/Striker, though I'm more than comfortable flexing to Blaster, Defender, or Leader with it if it helps party comp.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Hey Ratpick, are you still open to playing as an Ogre? The idea I had earlier proved a bit too out there. I can play Magic without a problem if you'd like to be Might! We should just decide how to fluff it first: literal two-headed giant? The classical "little guy on the shoulders of big guy"? Two combining robots? I'd be in favor of the last one, because magitech bots are cool.

I'm down. Sorry about the late reply, I had one hell of a weekend, but I should be able to cook up something this week. I'll see about getting PMs today so we can coordinate better on how to make our character.

I had sort of thought about a literal two-headed giant at first, but since you brought it up the idea of two magitech robots that combine into one to be better at punching sounds amazing as well and something I could see myself as playing, although I could sort of also see a combination of punchy robot/magical pilot as an option. Either way, we'll probably be going for the option of sharing a body and a token?

I'll get PMs once I finish work today so we can coordinate on our character/characters. Meanwhile, I'll try to look for a good reference image of two combining robots to get those creative juices flowing.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Thomas "Hi Hat" Harris

I can't believe the poo poo they show on TV these days.

Dungeon diving used to be real, ya feel me? You'd go out with your buddies and look for a dungeon, and nobody had a fuckin' clue what was in there. Then you'd go down anyway and wade through all the traps and monsters, real traps, deadly traps, you know? And the monsters, they're always famished to hell and back, they didn't have handlers training 'em to jump on your lap and lick your face.

What I'm saying is this X-Crawl is the fakest poo poo and it pisses me right off. It's a slap to the face of every honest dungeoneer to see kids running around these manicured dugeons like it's a fashion runway. The coddled kids face fake-rear end dangers and get fake-rear end treasure just for showing up, and I'm sick of it. I'm going to take these brats down a peg and show them how a real dungeoneer does it.

quote:

Do you have an on-stage identity? What town are you from? Why are you getting into this racket? Did you have experience fighting monsters, or is this your first time out? What's your color scheme? Which pro X-CRAWLer is your favorite? Who's got your back, and who might be looking to see you get eaten?

Stage identity? Hell no, this is the real deal! I'm here to peel back all the bullshit and bring some honesty back to dungeon crawling. I wear camo and denim because they're practical, not just because I like the look. I'm from Williamstown, we don't make ourselves up like those Nashville dandies. Those city boys, think they've got the sack to call themselves "country..."

My old dungeon crawling buds, they're of two minds about the X-Crawl. Block and Skins are behind me one hundred percent, they want dungeon crawlin' to be a thing people DO, not some poo poo you just watch while sitting on yer rear end. That a team of NPCs ain't no substitute for real teamwork, for friendship forged in the heat of battle. Rimshot agrees in principle, but she thinks I'm sellin' out and won't take truck with it. Yeah, gently caress you too, sister.

Now the Goblin Guild, they're just fuckin' sad. "Wah wah we're gonna get revenge on you for slaughtering our clan, because goblins are people too." They're sore that we were better'n them, and now they're living on handouts from X-Crawl, always trying to beat up adventurers. Man, they're gonna be PISSED when they see me, hahaha!

Background: Grognard
Origin: Redneck
Wealth [1]
Skills:
Dungeon Architecture
Ransacking
Monster Manual, 1e [knowledge]
Grumbling
Polearm Proficiency
Redneck Repair (item: several rolls of duct tape)
Field Dressing
Magic Resistance

Tricks:
I've Seen This One Before - You are always able to sidestep, disable, or disarm a trap.
Sour Grapes - You are always able to prove that actually, the thing you can't have sucks anyway so why would anyone have wanted it in the first place.

Complications:
Hold My Beer - Watch this.
Heel - The audience is gonna hate this. Well, gently caress 'em!

Martial Artist (Stone Wall, Weeping Willow, Scorpion)/Defender
Feat: Long Reach

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

megane posted:

Janine Joplin: What's it like, being dead?
Well, there's the obvious. I don't need to breathe, I don't need to eat, don't need to sleep either. But not needing to is different from not having to, you get me? I can get hungry. I feel tired. But if push comes to shove I just get to get hungrier and tireder and more and more cross. Oh, yeah, a lot of churches don't like me. Most of them won't come out and say I need to be destroyed or anything, it's 2016. But just 'cause they won't kill you doesn't mean you're buddies. And there are the ones who do think I should be burned or staked or have my head chopped off neatly. They tend to not make themselves known around me because I can and will knee fools upside the head as needed. Cowards, honestly.

Now, there's something you wouldn't know about. People never think about how loud they are inside. Blood pumping, lungs inflating, all sorts of muscles stretching out. The sound of the ocean you hear in shells is the ocean of your own self. And you'd know immediately if it all stopped. When they talk about the quiet of the grave they got something right for sure. It's oppressive, how quiet it is being alone. That's why I'm so loud. Compensating. But no matter how loud you yell or how much hell you raise it's still there. Too drat quiet.

quote:

Which other newbie contestant has already gotten all up in your face, and are you gonna just take that from them?

loving Gary.

Excuse me. He's SIR GALLIVANT in public, because of course he is. Look at him, he couldn't be more babyfaced if he wrote I LOVE LOCAL TOWN SPORTS TEAM on his rear end. Apparently he's been doing the nitty and gritty on the minor circuits for a while, which I respect totally. I did the same thing, longer than he ever did. But then he's started talking about how 'some people' haven't 'paid their dues' or 'know how a real fight works'. Then he came at me specifically, about how I expect to waltz in and take all the work from real professionals who took real risks in real dungeons and I'm sure he would have kept talking except it's hard to talk with another person's elbow in your mouth. You can tell Gary was actually a professional because I didn't actually hit him. You can tell he's also a cowardly rear end because he ran. Threatened this, that and the other about it. Whatever.

quote:

How have your wrestling fans reacted to your sudden change of heart?
I'm going to level with you here. I didn't have fans because I dazzled them with technical prowess or inspired them in the ring. I was violent, and they loved violence. So now I'm going into X-Crawl, where my level violence isn't unusual, it's expected. They're going apeshit. I think most of them wanted me to go at it a while ago. So I'm going in to this a real crowdpleaser, I guess.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

MUCHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA LUCHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

megane
Jun 20, 2008

damnit people how am i supposed to make picks like this

make your characters worse immediately :colbert:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Run multiple games, obviously.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Jan Gundlach

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 18, 2016

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

megane posted:

They're mostly fine; I'd say if you want to use one of the playtest ones, just talk to me about it first.

2-part check: First, is the playtest Evoker alright?

Second and more importantly, is the concept of a former X-Crawl dungeon boss/monster playable? My idea was basically a dragon who was forced to retire ("Dragons are old news; Eldritch horrors are what the kids are into these days!") and is now exploiting a loophole in his contract that lets him get back in the spotlight as a contestant instead of an employee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I think I'd say no to the Evoker, sorry. It's so much more complex than other classes and has so much fiddly stuff going on. Maybe a Magician, Bombardier, or Channeler?

The concept is perfectly fine, though.

• Locked thread