Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I’m gonna say Zip disk, it has a really solid thunk when you get it all the way in. floppy disk is almost there but not quite as good. I’m gonna guess minidisc is really nice too, but I’ve never had one of those.

what are your thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

im gonna say an honorable mention is the Wii slot loader drive, it has a really nice sounding motor and smooth action. the slot loader on my old MacBook was atrocious lol

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

mods please change the thread icon to “sex” TIA

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

it's been a while but laserdisc is pretty fun

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
8 track

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

audiocassette, in the players where you insert the tape, not the ones where you set it in the tray

top-loading vhs players are a close #2

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
nes was pretty good. open flat, insert cartridge, depress cartridge, close flap

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
spring-loaded microsd

fuckin things will take your eye out, but man is that click satisfying

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
also not quite physical media but a good lens mount? oh man

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
wii slotload is very good

adding in toploading betamax

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

vhs is satisfyingly clunky

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

the old floppy drives that apple used around 1987 to 1993 or so. they were auto insert and auto eject - push the disk in part way and it pulls it in the rest of the way.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
its basically an 8 track i think but the old ad carts in a radio station booth

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i think floppy drives. you stick them in, get a little chunk, then the button pops out.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

scanning a qr code. love the janky delay as my camera struggles to focus on it, the long time it does nothing, then it finally recognizes it, but i accidentally click the wrong thing so it focuses on something else. then i finally click the url and it pops open another page that takes a few seconds to load.

mm that’s the stuff.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

usb c

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

for me gotta be penis in vagina, op

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

git apologist posted:

someone already mentioned microsd

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

every day i open palm slam a vhs into the slot

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
i think i have to go with 3.5" floppy here. someone else already mentioned auto-ingest and eject, these are not necessary but they elevate the experience significantly.

to me, the biggest things are the sound, and the speed.

the click-vmm-click-vmm-click-vmm sound of the drive reading or writing a file is just loud enough to add to the experience, but not so loud or high pitched to be annoying. it's kind of soothing? it sounds like Work Is Happening but without the thrashing of a hard disk.

secondly, the speed of the drives is just right in terms of human perception, i think. if you have a jpeg or a medium sized text file, it takes a few seconds to read or write. it's long enough to be perceptible, the copy dialog box comes up, but the bar fills quickly and you are soon on your way. not so fast that it's just frantically flashing stuff up in your face and then immediately disappearing. super pleasant.

zip disks are nice, but mostly in the hand. auto-eject is nice, but floppy had that too. the disks are a nice size, but since they're larger and not that much heavier, they're kind of insubstantial. texture is nice, though. unfortunately, the eject spring is forceful enough that it sometimes kicks the disk all the way out of the drive, and when inserting the disk you have to push against the spring. with external drives, you have to brace the drive with your other hand or fingers or something so you don't push the drive backwards on the table. it fails the macbook one-finger rule. i want to like zip, since it's mostly a slightly larger floppy that's significantly faster and with 69x the storage space (nice). but i don't think it's the most satisfying.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

minidisc is more interesting than satisfying, as at least the sony mechanisms feel like intricate clockwork but not overly robust. not as in flimsy, but feels pushed to the limits in terms of minification and manufacturing.

i quite like nintendo ds carts. usual spring latching thing used by all kinds of memory cards, but that's satisfying to start with, and the nintendo ds carts are just chunky enough to make it satisfying.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

usb c

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i’ll be a bit of a size queen but i like the old 5.25 floppies. more to insert you pull down a little lever to lock it in and then the drive vrbb vrbb spins on

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Apple IIe floppy drive.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
old removable disk platter assemblies

https://www.computerhistory.org/collections/catalog/102640499

the head drive assembly sat on the raised floor like a record player, more or less.

you started your job from punch cards or paper tape, and it would trigger the os to ask you or the operator to mount volume MYSTUF

the operator selects a free HDA, varies it offline with an operator command, and goes to find your cake box with MYSTUF in it on the shelf.

toggle ready switch on the HDA to notrdy, push the Raise Lid button, push the Park Heads button just to make sure, seat the platters, remove the transport cover, push the raise lid button again, set the ready switch to rdy

back at the console vary the HDA back online, os finds MYSTUF in it, and off she goes

( stand alone/not atl tape still works like this, but is marginally less satisfying now that its just sticking a cartridge in a slot instead of hanging a reel and threading the leader to the takeup )

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Silver Alicorn posted:

I’m gonna say Zip disk, it has a really solid thunk when you get it all the way in
came here to post this

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

mediaphage posted:

nes was pretty good. open flat, insert cartridge, depress cartridge, close flap

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

edison cylinder???

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

keep posting this until someone takes the bait

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
giving thanks to god rn. came here to post this

git apologist posted:

this mf was waiting with this

Midjack posted:

someone already mentioned microsd

so GA took the bullet instead of me. god is great 🙏🙏🙏

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ikanreed posted:

Apple IIe floppy drive.

those had a good ker-chunk as you set down the tab or whatever. and you could stack two under your monitor... doing something cool? double ker-chunk

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

3.5" floppy was the most satisfying to eject. some drives you really had to press that mf button down.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

git apologist posted:

keep posting this until someone takes the bait

what bait

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
nintendo entertainment system game pak

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I bet the 64DD disks feel real nice

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
usb a if you get it right the first time it's like hitting a 3 pointer with your eyes closed

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
gotta be something that is solid, you have to overcome some tension to go in, self aligning, and then it has a reaction when its fully seated.

thats gonna be a hard drive in a caddy going into a hotswap bay.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

it's the 3.5" floppy drive.

real ones, not that dumb apple motorised poo poo

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZrFRCvKBfQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005