Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Ishamael posted:

WOW. Someone put together every single curse word from the sopranos, in chronological order.

It's hypnotic!

http://www.vimeo.com/2998698
Can't watch it all now, but does anyone know when "FUCKIN' QUEERS!!" is at chronologically?

This clip owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

hall n oates mom posted:

Can't watch it all now, but does anyone know when "FUCKIN' QUEERS!!" is at chronologically?

This clip owns.

It would be in "From Where To Eternity" in Season 2, I think.

EDIT: Yep. It's episode 9 of season 2.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

hall n oates mom posted:

This clip owns.

7:35ish, but they don't have the QUEERS part in there.

I forgot how hot Alicia Witt was when she guest starred.

AN AOL CHAT ROOM
Feb 22, 2003

Power-shovelling fat turds into my cock busted syphilitic maw. Like a fat cunt shovels doughnuts. The resulting turds from my hemorrhoid infested goat fucked ass are pure gold compared to my shitting posts.
Holy poo poo, now I never need to watch my loving DVDs again.

hoesbeforebros
Apr 29, 2007

by angerbot
I bought myself the complete box set as a Christmas gift to myself, Ive been watching it since season 1 way back when i was in highschool but unfortunantly missed a lot due to deployments. Im suprised nobody has brought up Christopher's intervention, which is by far the funniest scene of the whole series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBAwyDsRwGI

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

hoesbeforebros posted:

I bought myself the complete box set as a Christmas gift to myself, Ive been watching it since season 1 way back when i was in highschool but unfortunantly missed a lot due to deployments. Im suprised nobody has brought up Christopher's intervention, which is by far the funniest scene of the whole series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBAwyDsRwGI

Definitely one of the best.

"I don't write nothin' down, so I'll keep this short and sweet. You're weak. You're outta control. And you've become an embarrassment to yourself and everybody else. "

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Leyburn posted:

The way Imperioli says that last line had everyone in the room in hysterics. Not to mention the part later on where Chris starts beating the life outta a guy for shouting "A" at him in the acting class.
This made me think that that's the sort of thing Joey Tribiani would do. If Joey had grown up in the mob I'm pretty sure they'd be similar.

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

I've never seen it written so neatly

"I walked in and your head was in the toilet. Your hair was wet with toilet water. Disgusting."

That line cracks me up every time.

t0w
Dec 16, 2004

Girly drinks are the best drinks!
So this thread inspired me to start watching again. Happily plodding along through season 3 at the moment.

Which brings me to my point - someone was eating Ziti during an episode, and I realised I'd never tried your recipe Ishamael. Absolutely awesome. Only problem was that I couldn't move for about two hours afterwards because I ate too much.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

t0w posted:

So this thread inspired me to start watching again. Happily plodding along through season 3 at the moment.

Which brings me to my point - someone was eating Ziti during an episode, and I realised I'd never tried your recipe Ishamael. Absolutely awesome. Only problem was that I couldn't move for about two hours afterwards because I ate too much.

hahaha awesome! That is what it's made for.

Here is a weird question. I just saw Watchmen, and they played a song during the sex scene that I am pretty sure I know from the Sopranos. Anyone know what I am talking about? It was used poorly during the movie and made the whole thing silly, but I remember it being used to great effect in the show, even if I can't remember what it was.

The Robins Taley
Apr 3, 2006

I'd bone her.

Ishamael posted:

Here is a weird question. I just saw Watchmen, and they played a song during the sex scene that I am pretty sure I know from the Sopranos. Anyone know what I am talking about? It was used poorly during the movie and made the whole thing silly, but I remember it being used to great effect in the show, even if I can't remember what it was.

Along this line, I recently started downloading all the episodes on iTunes so that I could watch them at work when I got bored (don't judge me), and I noticed that at least in the first couple seasons they always play Andrea Bocelli's "Con Te Partiro" in the background during scenes. I noticed it once and now it happens frequently enough that it's kind of distracting.

I've seen the entire series before, but the show is so good. I think it's even better the second time. I often find it annoying during a show's second season when they try to add new characters to change things and spice them up a bit because so often it doesn't work. I felt this way at first about Tony's sister Janice (Parvotti :lol: ). But on second viewing, her character is so well-written and adds such a hilarious dynamic to the show. This is the greatest show ever on television.

Pyramid Head
Dec 31, 2007

t0w posted:

EDIT: By the way, I know this thread is filled with unmarked spoilers but as a heads up for anyone new to the show...uh, don't read this post?

Season 3, in my opinion, is the best of the entire series. I loved all of the storylines and relationships. Ralphie and Jackie Jr., Tony and Jackie Jr., Tony and Gloria...etc. Not to mention episodes like "Employee of the Month," "University," and "Pine Barrens."

Ralphie is one of the few characters I can think of who really brought new energy to the show. He was probably the most violent/sociopathic member of the Soprano crew at the time, as well as masochistic, completely unsympathetic/lacked tact & any form of empathy, cocaine-addicted and on top of all of that, smart and one of the best earners. God drat. Plus, the episode "Whoever Did This" (season 4, but bear with me) is one of the best in the series and will grant those of us unhappy with his actions in season 3 our wish, as Tony kills him for having killed Tracee.

And lastly, I have a question, but I don't know how many people will know what I'm talking about. In the episode "Proshai, Livushka," (also season 3) after Livia's funeral at the Soprano house, we see what looks to be a young Uncle Junior descend the stairs in the background, look at the family (completely unnoticed), and ascend back up them. In the season finale, after Jackie Jr.'s funeral, Ralphie goes home and turns on the TV. As he's watching, an older man who is out focus slowly approaches him, but I have no idea who he is. I'm assuming he's another "ghost." Anyone have any insight?

Oh and here's a great Ralphie line:

Vito: [referring to his brother who had been brutally beaten by Mustang Sally] He's gonna be a vegetable Ton, a fuckin' retard.
Ralph: Look on the bright side: he wasn't that smart to begin with.

Pyramid Head fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Mar 17, 2009

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

The Robins Taley posted:

Along this line, I recently started downloading all the episodes on iTunes so that I could watch them at work when I got bored (don't judge me), and I noticed that at least in the first couple seasons they always play Andrea Bocelli's "Con Te Partiro" in the background during scenes. I noticed it once and now it happens frequently enough that it's kind of distracting.

I've seen the entire series before, but the show is so good. I think it's even better the second time. I often find it annoying during a show's second season when they try to add new characters to change things and spice them up a bit because so often it doesn't work. I felt this way at first about Tony's sister Janice (Parvotti :lol: ). But on second viewing, her character is so well-written and adds such a hilarious dynamic to the show. This is the greatest show ever on television.

Actually Con Te Partiro just shows up in Season 2, if I remember correctly. It also corresponded with how every Italian-American woman in the country was obsessively listening to that song that year. I know because I visited my mother.

And agreed, Janice is amazingly well-written. It's a testament to how realistic she is that she is so goddamn annoying.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Ishamael posted:

hahaha awesome! That is what it's made for.

Hallelujah? I don't remember if that was on the Sopranos or not. Also the sex scene was supposed to be silly.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Darko posted:

Hallelujah? I don't remember if that was on the Sopranos or not. Also the sex scene was supposed to be silly.

Well it definitely came off that way, although I can't think of any story reason why you would want to take the audience out of the plot like that, making everyone in the theater laugh at your characters.

And after spending some time searching, I don't think Hallelujah was ever in the Sopranos. I must be remembering it from something else.

Partyworm
Jul 8, 2004

Tired of partying
Just been rewatching season 5, which is one of my favourites, but i remembered something thats always bothered me.

(Spoiler Warning)

Tony B's transition between reformed ex-con back to hardened mob guy has never felt adequately explained. For example, beating up Kim the korean guy just as he's about to get his own business never made sense really. The only justification given is that he's stressed out from doing all the redecorating by himself, which is understandable, but by no means proportionate. I know these guys are meant to be sociopaths, but Tony B always seemed like (up until that point at least) one of the few level headed guys (like Big Tony) who can keep their eye on the ball and maintain a sense of control for the sake of business or whatever.

Then of course there's the hit on Peeps, which seems even less explained. In the original meeting he has with the guys from NY (when the hit is originally discussed) Tony B turns them down because at that moment he is smart enough to realize what a poo poo storm it would put both him and Tony in. Then after that there's a few scenes where we see Tony B frustrated because he's being ordered around at Carmella's dad's birthday, and a suggestion that he's a bit low on cash. And then he drops all his previous objections and signs up for the hit.

After that of course there's no going back, and he's back to being a full time mob guy. until he gets whacked obviously :v:

Am i missing anything? The whole transition just seems a bit hamfisted and uncharacteristic for a show that usually has such great writing.

How did you guys read it ?

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Partyworm posted:

Am i missing anything? The whole transition just seems a bit hamfisted and uncharacteristic for a show that usually has such great writing.

How did you guys read it ?

For me, the key moment was when he had been out all night with the guys after finding that bag of cash, and then had to go back to the daily grind.

I remember the imagery of his super-fancy loafers while he was trying to load big bags of laundry into the truck. The clash between the way he had spent the night, with a bunch of rich guys who could go home and sleep it off, and the way he spent the day, working hard when he could have just called Tony S and been back in the easy life, was very strong I thought.

So, basically I took it that once he had a taste of the easy life again, just spending money without having to work for it, he simply couldn't handle the normal daily annoyances that a working guy has to deal with.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Yeah he left that comfy caddy filled with guys talking about the best place to get breakfast and he had to go to work drunk and tired as gently caress. Then Kim comes in acting like Kim.

That plus that taste of wealth(he blew like 10-15 grand over the night including that ridiculous gold suit) just made him snap. I mean the dude was in jail for like 20 years. I haven't been to jail and even i wanted to punch the guy.

Season 5 was the best season i think.

Partyworm
Jul 8, 2004

Tired of partying

Ishamael posted:

For me, the key moment was when he had been out all night with the guys after finding that bag of cash, and then had to go back to the daily grind.

I remember the imagery of his super-fancy loafers while he was trying to load big bags of laundry into the truck. The clash between the way he had spent the night, with a bunch of rich guys who could go home and sleep it off, and the way he spent the day, working hard when he could have just called Tony S and been back in the easy life, was very strong I thought.

So, basically I took it that once he had a taste of the easy life again, just spending money without having to work for it, he simply couldn't handle the normal daily annoyances that a working guy has to deal with.

I see what you're saying, yeah. The Sopranos can be quite subtle like that, which has always been one of its strengths, and require you to read between the lines quite a bit. I wonder if they were just a bit too subtle with Tony B though.

Season 5 is pretty amazing from start to finish though. Just finished the janice soccer mom episode, and godddamn i forgot how funny it is. My favourite part i think is Tony baiting Janice at the dinner table about her abandoned son Harpo :v:

The whole ongoing Bear/Tony metaphor is amazing as well, espcially at the end when Tony emerges from the forest at the end, bringing the whole thing full circle.

discstickers
Jul 29, 2004

Fragmented posted:

Yeah he left that comfy caddy filled with guys talking about the best place to get breakfast and he had to go to work drunk and tired as gently caress. Then Kim comes in acting like Kim.

That plus that taste of wealth(he blew like 10-15 grand over the night including that ridiculous gold suit) just made him snap. I mean the dude was in jail for like 20 years. I haven't been to jail and even i wanted to punch the guy.

Season 5 was the best season i think.

Season 5 kinda dragged for me. "Camelot" was atrocious.

t0w
Dec 16, 2004

Girly drinks are the best drinks!

The Robins Taley posted:

Yeah I find her a lot less irritating this time around, and some of the scenes are pretty hillarious. Her narcoleptic boyfriend falling asleep on Tony's shoulder was priceless.

Actually that's the last episode I watched (He Is Risen).

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Pyramid Head posted:

EDIT: By the way, I know this thread is filled with unmarked spoilers but as a heads up for anyone new to the show...uh, don't read this post?

Season 3, in my opinion, is the best of the entire series. I loved all of the storylines and relationships. Ralphie and Jackie Jr., Tony and Jackie Jr., Tony and Gloria...etc. Not to mention episodes like "Employee of the Month," "University," and "Pine Barrens."

Season 3 is absolutely the best. I love the one scene where Christopher is in some pizza place and Jackie Jr and his friend go up to him and slobber all over his nuts after he just got made and Chris goes "I dont wanna be an rear end in a top hat but I cant be seen in a place like this anymore" then Jackie jr acts like a little human being and knocks some poor slobs pizza tray out of his hands.

Pyramid Head
Dec 31, 2007

Actually, speaking of little faggots in season 3...Noah. I hated him (and not for the same reasons Tony did). Little prick broke up with Meadow immediately after taking her virginity (like same episode). Also, I'm pretty sure Noah's filed a restraining order against Meadow's roommate because Noah got a C on a paper due to her being distracting. This is the same roommate suffering from Mean World Syndrome who could probably use some friends for support (I recall Meadow taking an x-acto knife off of her desk & out of their dorm).

EDIT: That reminds me...Matt & Sean in season 2 qualify as little assholes. I love every scene they're in. There's one scene in Do Not Resuscitate where Tony is sitting in his car at a construction site and Matt & Sean run up shouting "Hey Tony!" "Tony!" Tony sees them and drives directly towards them, forcing them to jump out of the way, and shouts out the window: "Am I supposed to be seen here you loving idiots?" Matt turns to Sean and goes "Now we look like jerkoffs."

Not to mention the scene where Furio goes to collect the money from them.

Pyramid Head fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Mar 18, 2009

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Pyramid Head posted:

EDIT: That reminds me...Matt & Sean in season 2 qualify as little assholes. I love every scene they're in. There's one scene in Do Not Resuscitate where Tony is sitting in his car at a construction site and Matt & Sean run up shouting "Hey Tony!" "Tony!" Tony sees them and drives directly towards them, forcing them to jump out of the way, and shouts out the window: "Am I supposed to be seen here you loving idiots?" Matt turns to Sean and goes "Now we look like jerkoffs."

Not to mention the scene where Furio goes to collect the money from them.

I loved hating those guys. When Matt went to visit Richie, and Richie threw that tiny baseball bat at him while running down the street, was just too great.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Ishamael posted:

Well it definitely came off that way, although I can't think of any story reason why you would want to take the audience out of the plot like that, making everyone in the theater laugh at your characters.

And after spending some time searching, I don't think Hallelujah was ever in the Sopranos. I must be remembering it from something else.

Night Owl and Silk Spectre were pretty much jokes; it's a big part of the story. You weren't supposed to think they were cool; you were essentially supposed to think "these people have issues." There's deeper and better explanation for that in the Watchmen thread in CD, if you can wade through all the pages.

Hallelujah is used in TONS of stuff; even Shrek used it. You've heard it somewhere before that you probably somehow associated with The Sopranos.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Darko posted:

Hallelujah is used in TONS of stuff; even Shrek used it. You've heard it somewhere before that you probably somehow associated with The Sopranos.

Probably true. And I'll save the Watchmen discussion for elsewhere. But anytime you have to say "you weren't supposed to think X", you are getting into strange territory. I firmly believe that there is no "correct" interpretation for a movie, or book, or piece of art.

Pyramid Head
Dec 31, 2007

I rewatched "Full Leather Jacket" today. Sean & Matt cracked me up once again.

Matt: We're douchebags, we are nowhere. Buying fish, punching safes. And for what?
Sean: We're just getting started, it's what you do.
Matt: We have stockbroker licenses...I went to Pace College!

hoesbeforebros
Apr 29, 2007

by angerbot

Pyramid Head posted:

Actually, speaking of little faggots in season 3...Noah. I hated him (and not for the same reasons Tony did). Little prick broke up with Meadow immediately after taking her virginity (like same episode). Also, I'm pretty sure Noah's filed a restraining order against Meadow's roommate because Noah got a C on a paper due to her being distracting. This is the same roommate suffering from Mean World Syndrome who could probably use some friends for support (I recall Meadow taking an x-acto knife off of her desk & out of their dorm).

I still find that scene halarious when Tony first meets Noah and later on has a panic attack when he opens the cupboard and sees the picture of the black guy on the box of Uncle Ben's Rice.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

OK I found a version of the Animal House-style reworked Sopranos ending, but I don't know if this was the original or not.

Sorry, it's on ytmnd :(

http://lostsopranosending.ytmnd.com/

oso
Dec 22, 2006

Don't mention the war. I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it
I tried watching a few 1st season episodes last year sometime but never got into it, I decided to try again recently and have now progressed to the point where I can label myself an addict.

I love how nearly everything that goes on in the show ties together in some form. I also love that I can get almost as much entertainment from watching an episode more than once - typically theres a lot that I'll miss / misinterpret first time round. Maybe I'm just :downs:

Still can't decide who is my favourite character but Sil and Paulie are strong contenders. Though for different reasons.

My opinion on the finale: Tony 'wins' just by being alive at the end of the series, what happens to him after is of no real consequence. Saying that my ideal ending would be Tony eventually being replaced by Meadow who would lead the family similar to Annalisa in Italy. Dumb and unlikely yeah, but I can go into my reasoning if anyone's interested. :c00lbert:

A few random screencaps I've taken whilst I've been watching through for the 2nd time:

Might drop back in with some more shots later.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

oso posted:

Might drop back in with some more shots later.

Hahaha this is the best.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

oso posted:

My opinion on the finale: Tony 'wins' just by being alive at the end of the series, what happens to him after is of no real consequence. Saying that my ideal ending would be Tony eventually being replaced by Meadow who would lead the family similar to Annalisa in Italy. Dumb and unlikely yeah, but I can go into my reasoning if anyone's interested. :c00lbert:

Elaborate.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

There is no way Meadow would ever be able to(or even want to)become the boss.

She hasn't been a part of the business at all. She shows no capability to handle the day to day violence associated with the mob. But the most important reason is Tony himself said there had never been and would never be a woman boss in America.

Can you honestly imagine Paulie(or any of the few guys left after the war) respecting and kicking up to Meadow?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Fragmented posted:

She hasn't been a part of the business at all. She shows no capability to handle the day to day violence associated with the mob. But the most important reason is Tony himself said there had never been and would never be a woman boss in America.

Can you honestly imagine Paulie(or any of the few guys left after the war) respecting and kicking up to Meadow?

I absolutely agree, though I did love the episode where another mob daughter starts bitching and moaning about the mafia at a wake and Meadow shuts her the gently caress up.

Which reminds me, the storyline of Uncle Junior going through the obituaries to find excuses to get out of the house was hilarious.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Fragmented posted:

I couldn't agree more and it was hilarious that towards the last few seasons the big gossip thing was that Meadow was going to be taking over.

It makes absolutely no sense and there was never a chance of it even remotely being an idea, so I don't know why it lasted so long.

Also, Tony didn't die and he moved on with his life while we (the audience) were cut off.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Hey, at least she would have been better than AJ.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

-Atom- posted:

I couldn't agree more and it was hilarious that towards the last few seasons the big gossip thing was that Meadow was going to be taking over.

It makes absolutely no sense and there was never a chance of it even remotely being an idea, so I don't know why it lasted so long.

Also, Tony didn't die and he moved on with his life while we (the audience) were cut off.
Those are the kind of ideas viewers who aren't particularly perceptive or bright come up with because they watch the sopranos exclusively for MOBLAND HIJINX and WHACKINGS, blissfully unaware that the show is actually an extremely deep and textured character study. Fahgettaboudit, TROT OUT THE TROPES!

Knoddus
Oct 30, 2007
Born in a crossfire hurricane
That intervention is loving gold.

Machinegunetiquette
Mar 30, 2009
I must be one of the only people that liked the Johnny Cakes storyline. I just thought it was interesting how Tony seemed to be okay with it, conflicted, but he seemed alright and wanted to protect one of his own; regardless of his "condition".
I'm rewatching, starting season six today. Has anyone given the commentaries a try?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partyworm
Jul 8, 2004

Tired of partying
I feel dumb for asking this, but its something thats always bothered me.

In season one, is it to be assumed that:

a) Pussy was the one who flipped and Tony etc got it wrong with Jimmy, or..

b) That jimmy & pussy both flipped (after the bust with the pool table) but then the suspicion over pussy dies with Jimmy (for obvious reasons), OR...

c) That Jimmy WAS the original rat but the whole ordeal with Tony and Pauly making it pretty obvious to Pussy that they 'know' freaks Pussy out and effectively pushes him to flip anyway.

I always lean towards the fact that Pussy was the original (and only) flipper, but what always makes me start to doubt it is how Tony, and later Junior, both seem so sure its Jimmy from some of the things he says to them (like blatantly trying to get Tony to say incriminating poo poo right after he's just got out, which is admittedly suspicious but by no means conclusive) that i'm always left slightly unsure. Another, though admittedly small, thing that makes me doubtful is Jimmy's reaction just before he gets clipped, which to me seems to read as 'oh poo poo, they caught me' rather than one of complete shock and suprise at being accused of being a rat.

I asked my brother about it who's also a big sopranos fan, and he straight away said it was pussy all along and laughed at me for being dumb :v: but i can't see how from what the show gives us how anyone can be totally sure either way.

I probably am just being dumb and/or over analyzing things, but i would love to know what you guys think about it.

• Locked thread