Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

An Enormous Boner posted:

It seems like it either takes like 30 seconds per round or the entire clock time.

Purely depending on whether the VIP is a stupid idiot who runs towards the enemy or someone intelligent who hangs back, since the enemy team are invariably stupid idiots who run around in circles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Just got this from the Humble Bundle: very cool game, especially since I like these hardcore/HUDless games, like Metro 2033 on ranger mode, without them going too hardcode into ARMA territory. My initial foray into multiplayer was as you would expect: getting used to dying from people unseen. However, by the end of the match, I learned the map and was taking capture points slowly and defensively with my team. I can see it being intimidating to get into: it's pretty scary not to have a map on screen, and not seeing hit/death indicators when shooting enemies. But once you get used to it, you find out it's what you wanted all along.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Who needs a graphical near-miss indicator when your character screaming OH GOD NO NO NO is all the warning you need :v:

The only HUD element I wish this game had was an RO style "magazine is light/heavy" indicator that lets you know when you're loading a half spent magazine from an earlier fight.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
play machine gunner and never have to worry about that :colbert:

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Eonwe posted:

play machine gunner and never have to worry about that :colbert:

Its even worse with an MG. Do you keep your drum with 25 rounds left in it or do you take the long reload and get your full 75? If they had a 45 round mag option for the RPK I'd definitely use it.

Tilloth
May 25, 2009

Pirate Beekeeper and Part Time Backward Ship
I really like this game. Some people complain that its a bit clunky and pretty dated graphically... they may have a bit of a point. Game play is awesome though. It would be cool to hook up with some euro goons to play this.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

I'll be up for a blast today/tomorrow (GMT).

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It really isn't dated graphically. I mean, it's Source, so it's not exactly going to look like the latest AAA releases, but it's actually really pretty Source.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Pssssh, walk it off, sissy :colbert:

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Where can I download that Operation Red Wings mod?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

This is a reminder to check the PGS steam giveaway thread if you are interested in this game, there are a ton of people with giveaway codes posted up there, including me.

I've only played the training so far, is it normal for poo poo to stutter when it's loading a new objective? Are they just bad at dynamically loading things, or is there something wrong with my install/hardware setup?

460GTX OCed, i3-4130, 8gb ram.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

When playing co-op, you're always kitted as Security it seems. Should I be using AP or HP ammo against insurgents? What does the AI kit consist of with regard to body armour?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Penpal posted:

When playing co-op, you're always kitted as Security it seems. Should I be using AP or HP ammo against insurgents? What does the AI kit consist of with regard to body armour?

I've pieced this together from different sources so I'm sure it won't all be correct:

If AI is loaded with armor you can physically see it, ie they have a vest and helmet. I have very rarely seen AI with armor.

Although ap sounds like a no brainier choice, it only has boosted damage vs armored zones, such as chest or back torso. When facing an opponent who is ADS the most likely place you will land a hit is on the arms, which are not armored.

AP gives you more penetration vs environment, but the AP effect vs players is rather limited due to limited armor coverage.
HP gives you more stopping power vs targets who are actively engaging you with ADS and can help with quick kills from high ROF weapons that may land hits on limbs.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

First 3 people to click this link are hiding manparts under their burqas

edit: All gone, enjoy the game guys.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 21, 2014

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

CitrusFrog posted:

https://www.humblebundle.com/?gift=kXskyUzwp286sdby

Thanks man, much appreciated!

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

CitrusFrog posted:

Awesome, thanks!

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Goon on goon love ITT.

Objectivist Rapist
Mar 25, 2007

Rape is a construct
and I'm an engineer

CitrusFrog posted:

Hot drat, thanks.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
If there are people reading this thread who actually don't have Insurgency and aren't reading the Steam thread, I'll happily post this: https://www.humblebundle.com/?gift=Txft5wFyr34yFv8W

Up to three people can use it, so go hog wild. The Steam thread seems to have mostly reached saturation in that everyone interested has had a chance to grab a key.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Lemon Curdistan posted:

If there are people reading this thread who actually don't have Insurgency and aren't reading the Steam thread, I'll happily post this: https://www.humblebundle.com/?gift=Txft5wFyr34yFv8W

Up to three people can use it, so go hog wild. The Steam thread seems to have mostly reached saturation in that everyone interested has had a chance to grab a key.

Thank you goon friend, I've been wanting to get this for awhile but I've had no money for at least the past few months. I super duper appreciate how cool you and the other guy are.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

:) Just pay it forward.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe
Just found this thread, and as an intro I'll offer more of the same: three copies of "RPGed at Spawn" up for grabs. Remember to scream "The South shall rise again!" in a lovely Southern accent every time you're playing the terrorists, just to make multiplayer matches super awkward.

P.S.: If this is the place to ask for an invite to the Steam group, that would be cool.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
Hey if you goons need a key: https://www.humblebundle.com/?gift=53bkNZXUxutZZcPx

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Grabbed this, thanks!

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014
Hey goons, more keys: https://www.humblebundle.com/?gift=5E4M7UbP5e3tG2Tk

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Keeeeeeeeeeeys https://www.humblebundle.com/?gift=dn2x3TEvkqf48qkp

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

I redeemed this, thanks. I'm probably going to get my rear end kicked like it was when I played insurgency and dystopia source mods years ago.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Delacroix posted:

I redeemed this, thanks. I'm probably going to get my rear end kicked like it was when I played insurgency and dystopia source mods years ago.

Servers named "NWI Official Insurgency" are the Insurgency equivalent of Valve servers: congregations of pubbies with even less of an idea how to play the game than you. Easy way to get familiarized with the game.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Call me Tom loving Beringer.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

:getout:

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

push

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Is 9:0 as an Insurgent sharpshooter on Sinjar AKA "Shoot Pubbie Security Like Fish In a Barrel" impressive? Unless security isn't a bunch of fuckups and they actually make it up the hill.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this game loving owns. it doesn't really seem like a good game but it just loving owns.

heavy armor seems kinda useless since it doesn't seem to stop much shots.

do you go faster if you have less weight or does it not matter at all?

also, molotovs owns.

10\10

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Been playing the poo poo out of this. 249 with a Silencer is amazing for coop mode at least. Dunno how it fairs in PVP, but it's fun. Game overall is super good and smooth.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Weight does affect speed. Try a pistol and no armor loadout, you just fly.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Weight affects speed, and heavy armour definitely makes a big difference to your survivability. You can take 3-4 shots before dying with heavy armour, vs. ~1-2 with light armour.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Weight affects speed, and heavy armour definitely makes a big difference to your survivability. You can take 3-4 shots before dying with heavy armour, vs. ~1-2 with light armour.

This does, however, only cover areas where the armor is actually effective. So torso and lower groin area. Limbs and head (not sure about helmets?) are still unprotected. HP ammo does extra damage to unprotected areas, so a HP rifle round to your arm or something can be a one-hit kill. However, I believe it also can help tremendously with surviving explosives.

While armor may not always be worth the points, it almost always is worth the weight. Movement is good but not THAT good. I almost always take it for Security since light armor is free for them.

EDIT:

Here's an OK video describing how it works and some "live fire tests" with pistol and rifle-caliber weapons. However it's from March so I'm not sure if it's still 100% current:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ddig6FFOeaQ

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 25, 2014

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Goddamn, that LMG Security has with 100 bullets turns you into rambo. It doesn't lose anything in CQB, you just spray a room with bullets and you usually murder everything in it, including allies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The RPK is even better, since it's ridiculously easy to control on full auto and doesn't need optics.

• Locked thread