Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

The Protagonist posted:

really in the context of say like curiosity spotting an isopod fossil or there being some obviously artificial feature on a distant dwarf planet, what real onus is there to conceal that?

someone field this. does anyone seriously think nasa or any other organization, upon finding irrefutable evidence of the greatest scientific discovery ever, would conceal it for any longer than it took them to confirm it to a certainty? you know, rather than scream it from the mountaintops?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Protagonist posted:

someone field this. does anyone seriously think nasa or any other organization, upon finding irrefutable evidence of the greatest scientific discovery ever, would conceal it for any longer than it took them to confirm it to a certainty? you know, rather than scream it from the mountaintops?

even if the organization decided to conceal it, there is no way the individual scientists would.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

thats no moon......

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

euphronius posted:

Crazy that thing only has 8 gigs of memory.

Not really. It was built in the early 2000s.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Xaris posted:

thats no moon......

Well I mean they already confirmed it doesn't have any rings so

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

sinking belle posted:

Well I mean they already confirmed it doesn't have any rings so

lol

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006

So is Pluto a planet again?

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Not really. It was built in the early 2000s.

They also need well-known hardware that can be rad-hardened at an acceptable price. That's why the memory is so small and the Mongoose processor runs at 12MHz afaik.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Fumble posted:

Kinda deps is a dwarf a person? Askin for a fren

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fumble posted:

they had to stop calling it a planet, they started finding all kinds of gravitationally rounded things in our solar system and didn't want school children to have to memorize 30 "planets"

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

GETTING SO CLOSE YES YES YES

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

What precipitated the whole argument was the discovery of Eris, which is bigger than Pluto.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

wow a contact lense in a mud puddle

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

pluto looks a fuckin chump i could beat it up

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

lookit those lil dimples

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

pluto looks like it will have a similar surface to triton, which would make sense

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Skeleton Ape posted:

What precipitated the whole argument was the discovery of Eris, which is bigger than Pluto.

Mike Brown, discoverer of Eris, named it Eris because she was the goddess of chaos and discord, and he realized that the discovery was going to cause a bunch of chaos in the astronomy community.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Listen to Loscil's 'Triton' it's amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SjLqdnv2Zc

You're welcome.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

genesplicer posted:

Mike Brown, discoverer of Eris, named it Eris because she was the goddess of chaos and discord, and he realized that the discovery was going to cause a bunch of chaos in the astronomy community.

I love the name of his book: How I Killed Pluto and Why It Had It Coming.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Skeleton Ape posted:

It was thought to be bigger. But after repeated measurements, and New Horizons firming up Pluto's size--which was difficult to pin down because of its atmosphere, Pluto appears to be larger than Eris after all. Eris still has a higher mass though.

Crazy to think that if we'd known Eris was smaller, even if only slightly, Pluto may still be considered a planet today.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

It's likely Pluto and Eris are the largest objects in the Kuiper Belt. We haven't found more large objects in that region since 2013. Michael Brown says the show's over.

But the Oort Cloud could have many, still. The chances of something larger than Pluto and Eris being out there are pretty high. The chances of something larger than Earth out there are decent. And that would pretty much be the coolest loving thing that's ever happened if we found something like that.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

eris isnt even in the kuiper belt

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Xaris posted:

thats no moon......

Lol, he's been waiting to post this since 2006.

Edit: you should goatse all the planets and moons. In a few years you'll have a new kuiper belt object to do.

EvilGenius fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 9, 2015

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006

That Robot posted:

They also need well-known hardware that can be rad-hardened at an acceptable price. That's why the memory is so small and the Mongoose processor runs at 12MHz afaik.

Can't they just wack a Think Pad on it, like ISS?

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!

EvilGenius posted:

Can't they just wack a Think Pad on it, like ISS?

I believe those Thinkpads are hardened somewhat beyond standard consumer laptops. They have to pass radiation testing, off-gas testing, thermal testing, fire and fire suppression.

I love my boxy, black space laptop.

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Parallax Scroll posted:

eris isnt even in the kuiper belt

well, eris is a scattered disk object, though it seems kind of arbitrary where the cutoff is because most sdos overlap with the kbos

quote:

The MPC also makes a clear distinction between the Kuiper belt and the scattered disc; separating those objects in stable orbits (the Kuiper belt) from those in scattered orbits (the scattered disc and the centaurs).[10] However, the difference between the Kuiper belt and the scattered disc is not clearcut, and many astronomers see the scattered disc not as a separate population but as an outward region of the Kuiper belt. Another term used is "scattered Kuiper-belt object" (or SKBO) for bodies of the scattered disc.[23]

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Your mumma's so fat, she wears a kuiper belt.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
spoiler: it's going to be round and borign

people itt literally excited about a space orb

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

lol if you even look at a planet

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

BeanBandit posted:

I believe those Thinkpads are hardened somewhat beyond standard consumer laptops. They have to pass radiation testing, off-gas testing, thermal testing, fire and fire suppression.
I didn't know they were non-standard, but at any rate the ISS is designed to be habitable by humans which obviously comes with radiation requirements of its own. Mostly it's just that low orbit doesn't have that much radiation and I imagine the station structure shields them a bit. A deep space probe is in a much nastier environment and has no space station around it.

Ramsus posted:

spoiler: it's going to be round and borign

people itt literally excited about a space orb
Must suck being unable to get excited about space orbs or other cool real world things to be honest.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
I'd be real excited if it was shooting fireballs or a giant version of your avatar lived in a cave there

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

planets or as i call them, space orbs, have nothing to do with me

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
NASA's budget could buy every American man, woman and child Five Guys six times a year.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

wow that's thirty guys :eyepop:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Germstore posted:

NASA's budget could buy every American man, woman and child Five Guys six times a year.

americans dont really need more fast food, i think the money was better spent on NASA

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

would you believe they put five guys on the moon
~five guys on the moooon~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Matt Damon is growing potatoes on Mars so he can open a Five Guys.

• Locked thread