Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Hey, what's your favorite anime?
Cowboy Bebop
Ghost in the Shell
James Cameron's Avatar: The Last Airbender
Papa to Kiss in the Dark
Generation Kill
Dragonball
Mobile Fighter G-Gundam
The Godfather
Donald Trump
Ted Cruz
View Results

• Locked thread
DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I'm afraid Yato might be a little too insane. Might make lower difficulties too easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Onmi posted:

So how about that Yato, man that weapon is loving insane.

ive been waiting for an excuse to post this

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=51664350

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I don't remember The Boss having a chainsaw.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I'm afraid Yato might be a little too insane. Might make lower difficulties too easy.

It's the same thing with Xander and Ryouma's personal weapons, they're kind of nuts. And I think you get those two late, but they're still really good. I mean there are enemy exclusive weapons such as Throwing Swords with no downsides, but I don't know how that works for the end-game. I'll probably be doing Hard-Casual

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I think it's possible to criticize some of the localization choices and be unhappy with some of the name changes without also being extremely angry about the text in a video game. Well, bye

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I am not a fan of the Yato.

Its the strongest Lord prf. weapon since like... Tyrfing.

Also the Raijanto and Siegfried seem kinda lovely and like they undermine the cool poo poo they did with nerfing 1-2 range weapons what with being 11 might, +4 str/def (always on) swords with 1-2 range and no downsides. Or the Sky Yumi and its 14 might plus move like a flyer ability.

I really dislike the Royals getting these kinds of ridiculous weapons. At least Chrom and Lucina's Falchions were just unbreakable regular swords with comparable regular sword stats and bonus damage against dragons. I'd have vastly preferred something like that, like getting a Steel sword with no downsides (like the original form of the Yato) or a Silver sword that lowers your defensive instead of offensive stats. Stuff that was cool and strong, but had cool drawbacks or wasn't the strongest poo poo you could get and made you play differently.

Zore fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Feb 13, 2016

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
yeah it's loving garbo that the royals get op bullshit handed to them on a silver platter while the proletariat got a big fat nerf

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You can literally beat the game without knowing anything about the mechanics, this has been proven

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i will beat the game without using a single noble character

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Tae posted:

You can literally beat the game without knowing anything about the mechanics, this has been proven

Phoenix mode is a hell of a drug.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Looper posted:

yeah it's loving garbo that the royals get op bullshit handed to them on a silver platter while the proletariat got a big fat nerf

Fire Emblem Fates: Revolution

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Looper posted:

Its not even all the royals either. Just the dude royals get special weapons, all 4 sisters get gently caress all except for some of those random 'X's weapon' which are hilariously bad.

Elise's is a 1 use staff that heals 10 hp, Sakura's is a 10 use staff that heals 7 hp, Hinoka has a lovely lance that's one might under a steel, and Camilla's axe gets the Silver weapon drawbacks with Steel stats +2 res.

lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ZeusJupitar posted:

I don't understand why Nintendo would allow this unpleasantly sexualised stuff to be associated with them after so many years cultivating their reputation as a family friendly brand. Has the Japanese market degraded to the point where they need the otaku yen that badly?
fire emblem thracia 776 included a really awkward rape joke. fe has always been a series that didn't really fit in with nintendo's 'for the kids' attitude.

Zore posted:

Its not even all the royals either. Just the dude royals get special weapons, all 4 sisters get gently caress all except for some of those random 'X's weapon' which are hilariously bad.

Elise's is a 1 use staff that heals 10 hp, Sakura's is a 10 use staff that heals 7 hp, Hinoka has a lovely lance that's one might under a steel, and Camilla's axe gets the Silver weapon drawbacks with Steel stats +2 res.

lol
the female royals have the best personal skills in the game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and also those weapons aren't prf weapons for the siblings, they're just rando weapons that have their names attached to them. like the weapons in awakening that were references to past FE games

maybe actually play the game before you talk about its balance???

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Hinoka is the only royal who isn't absolutely insanely powerful. Well Elise and Sakura are healers, but they're very very good in that niche. The boys may get prf weapons but that doesn't mean the girls aren't just as powerful.

e: well it does mean that for the Hoshido royals, Ryoma is much better than Xander

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Onmi posted:

I just don't see any victories for anyone. Unless you're a nanny.

Where did my post imply I thought the petting removal was a victory? I'm certainly not crying to see it gone but my "victory" state is a far cry from things I feel are skeevy and unnecessary being removed from the game. All I was suggesting there is that maybe, just maybe, we don't need to demonize the people that actually do the work of localizing because we don't like a change they make for whatever reason.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Hinoka is the only royal who isn't absolutely insanely powerful. Well Elise and Sakura are healers, but they're very very good in that niche. The boys may get prf weapons but that doesn't mean the girls aren't just as powerful.

e: well it does mean that for the Hoshido royals, Ryoma is much better than Xander
i thought leo was pretty below par for the royals too, but he's still one of the better units in the game.

but i wouldn't really say 'insanely powerful.' sakura and elise are the only healers you get besides your butlers and azama for some reason, who doesn't want to stay a healer. and xander and ryoma at least have slight flaws on lunatic.

They're still some of the best units in the game but, I mean, every FE has had units that were above the other ones, Fates just leans into it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

LornMarkus posted:

Where did my post imply I thought the petting removal was a victory? I'm certainly not crying to see it gone but my "victory" state is a far cry from things I feel are skeevy and unnecessary being removed from the game. All I was suggesting there is that maybe, just maybe, we don't need to demonize the people that actually do the work of localizing because we don't like a change they make for whatever reason.

I didn't mean to imply it was you who felt this was a victory, as I said, I rarely see it here. I said I don't see how anyone could see it as a victory unless they were a nanny. OH Now I see where I hosed up, because I used you're. That's my bad.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
The gulf between Hinoka and the other royals isn't nearly as big as whoever was making it out to be. She's easily one of the best lance users in the game and past the mid game she can tank way harder than Camilla, especially with that lance she comes with.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I really wanna play this game

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Perfect Potato posted:

The gulf between Hinoka and the other royals isn't nearly as big as whoever was making it out to be. She's easily one of the best lance users in the game and past the mid game she can tank way harder than Camilla, especially with that lance she comes with.

Maybe my Hinoka just got unlucky or something but I was not impressed with her

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Maybe my Hinoka just got unlucky or something but I was not impressed with her

I've used her twice on Lunatic in each campaign and she's beasted both times. Like I had her paired with Xander the last time and there were times where I was like I need to get this guy out of here and switch in my tank

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Ok, stupid question time again. I preordered a physical copy of Conquest and a digital copy of Birthright from Gamestop to get some stupid but cute keychains. Am I gonna be able to link that digital Birthright to my physical Conquest just fine when I get to The Decision starring LeBron James or will that not work for nebulous reasons?

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Ok, stupid question time again. I preordered a physical copy of Conquest and a digital copy of Birthright from Gamestop to get some stupid but cute keychains. Am I gonna be able to link that digital Birthright to my physical Conquest just fine when I get to The Decision starring LeBron James or will that not work for nebulous reasons?

It might work, but you're basically paying twenty bucks for those keychains.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
it will not work

the two games will not detect each other if they're not the dlc version bought through the individual games, after chapter 6

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Yeah if you want the games hooked up, probably have to buy the other campaigns in the in-game store on the menu.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

LornMarkus posted:

It might work, but you're basically paying twenty bucks for those keychains.

The nice dude at my Gamestop said I could still get the keychains and get the half price discount on the second route copy even if I got that one digital, actually.

General Morden posted:

it will not work

the two games will not detect each other if they're not the dlc version bought through the individual games, after chapter 6

Lame. I guess I'll still go ahead and get it unless they go back on the thing I mentioned above and just sell the cheap digital copy to someone here or something.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yeah I think the offering from Gamestop is a code you enter in-game on your physical copy but don't quote me on that.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Gamestop is really stupid for offering preorder bonuses that incentivise buying more than one copy from them. I mean I can't stop them maximising profits but it's a lovely thing to do because you're paying more to not get the benefits for buying both and it probably further reinforces the "Pokemon thing" thing by mirroring preorder bonuses for them.

E: If they are, that is, the situation seems unclear.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it's entirely possible gamestop doesn't understand how this poo poo works either, considering how unclear NoA's made it

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
https://youtu.be/ow1XlB2HOZE?list=PLaDrN74SfdT5mRil7ulpUBM-OfccrbKJE

is that liam o' brien

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Without watching the video, he was Inigo in Awakening so he sorta has to reprise the role.

Exaccus
Jan 2, 2015

"Hmph. Not much of a selection, is there?"
Localized Izana is rad.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AlphaKretin posted:

Without watching the video, he was Inigo in Awakening so he sorta has to reprise the role.
eh, plenty of game dubs recast roles for sequels. In Japan, the developers usually know if there's a chance of sequels and so can get the Japanese cast on tap for if that happens. Not to mention drama CDs and anime adaptations and such mean that the VA is usually playing the character a decent amount even between releases.

With dubs, the localizers usually don't know there's going to be a sequel unless there's one already announced or out in Japan, and there's no real well spring of secondary content to keep the VA in the loop.

That's especially the case here, since the localizers for Awakening had no possible reason to suspect that three fairly random characters would reappear in a sequel. I'm not saying the Awakening kids are 100% recast, but I wouldn't be surprised if any of them were.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Well then, shows you how much I know. :v: It at least increases the chance that "yes" is the answer to Morden's question to the extent that it's worth pointing out.

E: I'll say probably in the future though :v:

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Feb 13, 2016

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

What little I've heard of dub!Lazow sounds like the same voice actor

Edit: Oh, turns out they've actually put out a list of all of Fates english cast, but not which characters they play

http://nintendoeverything.com/full-lineup-of-english-voice-actors-in-fire-emblem-fates/

Owain, Inigo, and Severa's actors are listed so it'd be pretty silly if they didn't reprise their roles

Scrap Dragon fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Feb 13, 2016

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Scrap Dragon posted:

What little I've heard of dub!Lazow sounds like the same voice actor

Edit: Oh, turns out they've actually put out a list of all of Fates english cast, but not which characters they play

http://nintendoeverything.com/full-lineup-of-english-voice-actors-in-fire-emblem-fates/

Owain, Inigo, and Severa's actors are listed so it'd be pretty silly if they didn't reprise their roles

I was right in that not being blum. Gideon emery, huh. Looking forward to that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

I was right in that not being blum. Gideon emery, huh. Looking forward to that.
He was Gaius in Awakening, so he's probably just 'reprising' his role as Asugi.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/kymg/status/698539580035706880

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Wait is this confirmed? I mean it doesn't roll off the tongue too badly and I'm not going to make the mistake of assuming it's not a name but i dunno usagi just seemed so obvious

• Locked thread