Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

Blargh posted:

Lolling at all the "rent is throwing your money away!!!" in this thread, I thought that poo poo died in 2008. Do any of you fucks know what an amortization schedule is? I hope you know most of your first five years of mortgage payments are going straight into interest and you're not getting that poo poo back

Not to mention the closing costs, association fees, paying out the rear end when a pipe randomly explodes under your driveway, etc

Like own a home if you want I don't give a poo poo but don't try to tell people you're a financial wizard because you managed to convince a bank you're not a crackhead

Also, owning a home is loving stupid if you are part of the vast majority of America that changes jobs every 2-3 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

blarzgh posted:

Isn't the bottom line philosophy for you millenial-defenders that, "Life should give me the options that I say it should."?

Is that really the best defense you dudes can muster after 'gently caress you got mine'-ing the country into poverty and eradicating the middle class?

Lunchabully
Jul 20, 2003
Pillbug

GORDON posted:

If only one could begin repaying a home loan at year 5, skipping all that early-interest bullshit.

not sure what you're saying here, if you mean prepaying to lower your principal yes you can do that to jump ahead in the schedule (if your contract allows it without prepayment fees! Hope you checked before you signed!!!) so now only half your payments are going into interest instead of 75%! hooray!

also if you've got that kind of cash just laying around then sure own or rent or do whatever you want because you're loaded and it doesn't loving matter

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Roylicious posted:

Is that really the best defense you dudes can muster after 'gently caress you got mine'-ing the country into poverty and eradicating the middle class?

lol, "you dudes."

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

blarzgh posted:

lol, "you dudes."

So... yeah?

Lunchabully
Jul 20, 2003
Pillbug

Robot Pride posted:

Also, owning a home is loving stupid if you are part of the vast majority of America that changes jobs every 2-3 years.

this is a really good point, if you have any intention of changing jobs or your company is shaky / considering relocation or any other reason you might need to move in the next few years don't don't don't buy a home for financial reasons, you will not come out ahead

reasons to buy a home:
- you have a secure stable career and you enjoy house projects / carpentry / landscaping / boat ownership / things that require a garage or private land (i.e. 0.001% of the Something Awful Forums posting community)
- you've traveled back in time to 2010 with a bag full of money

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Roylicious posted:

So... yeah?

The fact that your immediate reaction to even the mildest challenge is to poo poo your pants in a tantrum, instantaneously make me a faceless hater in your mind, and thus dismiss out of pocket anything I have ever said or thought

probably goes a long way to explain why you live with your parents.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
How many other countries look down at the idea of having a family home? Because lol if i'm going to rent or pay for another home/apartment when my families' house has three spare enormous bedrooms

Brb gonna pay our the rear end for a NY/NJ apartment on top of scool payments, or maybe I could move and pay out the rear end at a new school for out-of-state tuition costs

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

blarzgh posted:

The fact that your immediate reaction to even the mildest challenge is to poo poo your pants in a tantrum, instantaneously make me a faceless hater in your mind, and thus dismiss out of pocket anything I have ever said or thought

probably goes a long way to explain why you live with your parents.

So nah you're not going to address the impartial economic data you're just going to keep going 'I know you are but what am I?'

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

Neurolimal posted:

How many other countries look down at the idea of having a family home? Because lol if i'm going to rent or pay for another home/apartment when my families' house has three spare enormous bedrooms

Brb gonna pay our the rear end for a NY/NJ apartment on top of scool payments, or maybe I could move and pay out the rear end at a new school for out-of-state tuition costs

Every single man, woman and child in America must have their own mortgage to have any worth as a person.

* This post is in no way related to the fact that I have significant personal investments in the real estate, insurance and mortgage underwriting markets.

archetype_games
May 27, 2016

by zen death robot

Robot Pride posted:

having access to public/private amenities is nice though

more landscaped space like private parks etc for community residents would be so nice

same with bathrooms showers etc etc

idk y ppl dont want their tax dollars spent on making things more accessible and less divided

ppl in apartments should have large park spaces to access easily right outside their doors. i know india is handling this with compartmentalized urban planning (residential areas must have a certain amount of parks etc etc, we do that over here already but not in any remotely socialized way)

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

archetype_games posted:

ppl in apartments should have large park spaces to access easily right outside their doors. i know india is handling this with compartmentalized urban planning (residential areas must have a certain amount of parks etc etc, we do that over here already but not in any remotely socialized way)

india is also handling it with impromptu socialized street fertilizer

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

I blame millennials for the rise of im gay

Lunchabully
Jul 20, 2003
Pillbug
also before I get the usual "you can rent out your home if you have to move" have you ever tried being a landlord? my inlaws rented out a couple buildings (just recently sold them) and it's made them into miserable shells and they're not even trying to do it remotely. tenants are scum and they will not give a sliver of a poo poo about your property or paying rent on time. you think your maintenance costs are bad now? wait until you invite some moron in who has no investment in the place and they demolish the garage door with their car. or smoke ten cartons of cigs a day indoors and coat the whole house with tar.

"oh I'll screen my tenants" yeah good loving luck with that. next you'll tell me you're only going to rent out to friends

"I'll hire a property manager" well there goes any possibility you'd break even

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Blargh posted:

also before I get the usual "you can rent out your home if you have to move" have you ever tried being a landlord? my inlaws rented out a couple buildings (just recently sold them) and it's made them into miserable shells and they're not even trying to do it remotely. tenants are scum and they will not give a sliver of a poo poo about your property or paying rent on time. you think your maintenance costs are bad now? wait until you invite some moron in who has no investment in the place and they demolish the garage door with their car. or smoke ten cartons of cigs a day indoors and coat the whole house with tar.

"oh I'll screen my tenants" yeah good loving luck with that. next you'll tell me you're only going to rent out to friends

"I'll hire a property manager" well there goes any possibility you'd break even

It really can be a nightmare. I finally got a decent tenant who even fuckin' paid for the whole year in advance (!) because he's some swanky lawyer in LV but yeah wow. One tenant basically stole half the furniture out of the place.

archetype_games posted:

Yeah that'd be cool. My complex does have a lot of green space actually but it isn't the norm. Usually they just try to slam in as many units as possible.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Roylicious posted:

BROKEN RECORD OF TEENAGE ANGST

You just literally did the same thing as you did in response to my first post, which was a question. I know Internet Arguing 101 has a flash card set you can buy at the store to use when you lack original or critical thought, but put them down for a minute, and take a breath.

Ok... better? Now:

blarzgh posted:

Isn't the bottom line philosophy for you millenial-defenders that, "Life should give me the options that I say it should."?

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

blarzgh posted:

You just literally did the same thing as you did in response to my first post, which was a question. I know Internet Arguing 101 has a flash card set you can buy at the store to use when you lack original or critical thought, but put them down for a minute, and take a breath.

Ok... better? Now:

... moridin?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Roylicious posted:

... moridin?

lol, 3 times in a row. He's unstoppable, folks!

archetype_games
May 27, 2016

by zen death robot

Roylicious posted:

It really can be a nightmare. I finally got a decent tenant who even fuckin' paid for the whole year in advance (!) because he's some swanky lawyer in LV but yeah wow. One tenant basically stole half the furniture out of the place.

Yeah that'd be cool. My complex does have a lot of green space actually but it isn't the norm. Usually they just try to slam in as many units as possible.

i think living plant walls and other green space additions to what ppl already have are going to hit factory production very fast in the next 10 years and take culture by storm simply because the aesthetic change is nice

especially in urban areas like china

trees and water are calming to people and make them feel more in control. so do open spaces and private places

most space is not private anymore though and very few people can afford a god drat cottage or something so if ur lucky enough to have access to one (i dont ) please enjoy it

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Hopefully young people stop demanding things and start taking them.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Avalanche posted:

Enlisting into the military meat grinder is somehow competitive now and they flat out will not accept you anymore without some form of college education. A Bachelor's degree is even recommended in some places of the country.

What the gently caress?

The military has always been an option for upwards mobility since the dawn of armed conflict. Well, upwards in the sense that it was enough to keep your belly full and "maybe" a shot at breaking into the officer cast considering you didn't die of smallpox first, but mobility none the less.

Millennials don't even have the option to fling themselves into morally questionable wars in exchange for wages. The Great War Depression looms on.

Vote Drumpf, let's go slaughter some commies, and kill off a portion of the male population in the process resulting in lower rents.

this isn't true unless you're a high school drop out.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I'm sorry but Roy and I loving made this thread. Also lol if you don't lead a life of disingenuous wealth making. Except for the closest of family to survive in this USA you must gently caress everyone.

"Give them nothing and take from them everything! !" - Trump 2016

I want a better update on the frat house partnership from the guy who got his doctorate at a community college in AA business admin

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Turtle Sandbox posted:

Hopefully young people stop demanding things and start taking them.

This is called getting old.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Parasitu Singuru

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Blargh posted:

not sure what you're saying here, if you mean prepaying to lower your principal yes you can do that to jump ahead in the schedule (if your contract allows it without prepayment fees! Hope you checked before you signed!!!) so now only half your payments are going into interest instead of 75%! hooray!

also if you've got that kind of cash just laying around then sure own or rent or do whatever you want because you're loaded and it doesn't loving matter

No I was pretty much just criticizing the perception that "I bought this house with zero down, it isn't fair that I don't have equity overnight." It sucks that the world was set up to favor people who could put off gratification, but that's just how it is. Those with the patience to invest, as in with a house, will pretty much always be criticized by those without that patience.

Personally I took out a 15 year loan on my house because I wasn't a chump, and it's almost paid off now. Suck it.

GORDON fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 27, 2016

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Watch out Gordy, you might get accused of being lucky, or a part of the problem. Or a non sequitur about a trailer park couple who is miserable.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Blacktoll posted:

Watch out Gordy, you might get accused of being lucky, or a part of the problem. Or a non sequitur about a trailer park couple who is miserable.

There's a reason I've kept this red text for years..... knowing I got under someones skin, and knowing that the idiots think I have anything to do with their problems. Sort of a badge of honor.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Blacktoll posted:

Or a non sequitur about a trailer park couple who is miserable.
i thought you were one of the people promoting that young adults should move out of their parents' house as soon as possible, yet when i post an anecdote about that you now say that they're miserable?

i don't want to get mired in an argument like our friend Roylicious, i just want some clarification.

Lunchabully
Jul 20, 2003
Pillbug

GORDON posted:

"I bought this house with zero down, it isn't fair that I don't have equity overnight."

I forget this is even a thing people do, lol if you even consider making GBS threads on your financial future with a zero down mortgage

Nicomo
Jan 22, 2015
I envy those of my age (late 20s) who can tolerate living with their parents. I know some with really sweet deals barely paying anything a month. But on the other hand many take the piss and I don't get why the parents stand for it.

I wanted to live on my own since I was about 12. But then my family are really weird.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Blargh posted:

I forget this is even a thing people do, lol if you even consider making GBS threads on your financial future with a zero down mortgage

Well by all means, keep complaining about the unfairness of someone letting you live in a house that you didn't pay for up front, and then you have to pay them extra for it each month.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
If the powers that were would've pressed the red button in the 80s none of this would be a problem now. Makes u think

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
the cool thing about older people who hate millenials is, they're going to die first and then we'll pick the bones of their estates dry and sell the bits and use them to buy sweet gaming rigs to pass the time in the post-trump apocalypse

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
the american dream is a bloated whale carcass at the bottom of the ocean and we are the little fish picking at its wasted flesh basically

Lunchabully
Jul 20, 2003
Pillbug

GORDON posted:

Well by all means, keep complaining about the unfairness of someone letting you live in a house that you didn't pay for up front, and then you have to pay them extra for it each month.

I never said it was unfair. I think you might have me confused with someone else? My only point in this thread is that the attitude of "you're throwing your money away unless you own " is nonsense. You can just as easily throw away your money with a mortgage.

I don't think you're saying that and in fact you seem like you had the resources and the intelligence to make the right decision for your circumstances. Good job! I just see way too many people buying homes who have absolutely no business doing so and with no idea of what they're getting into

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

I can't imagine living with my mom. I moved out when I was eighteen and never looked back despite living in poverty pretty much.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
Are there a bunch of jobs not being filled right now

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
It sucks being able to masturbate only at night or when the 'rents are away.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
Millenials are not doing their duty of pushing minorities and lower class people out of their affordable neighborhoods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Millenials are not doing their duty of pushing minorities and lower class people out of their affordable neighborhoods

Minorities still count as millennials, bozo.

Minorials.

• Locked thread