Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Oh right. Got confused because I changed my VPN server to Switzerland earlier and the website is all in German. Just saw the total percentage saved thing on the side and done goofed. 10% off Stunt Island is nothing to get excited about. Why even bother?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Sdoots posted:

Let me tell you about Crusader: No Remorse.

Crusader loving rules.

You play as The Silencer. The plot is a pretty basic "squad of tough dudes get set up by the actually evil people they work for, you are the only survivor, now you are helping the rebels".

None of that is important, because you got dudes what need silencing.

Despite the name, you actually are extremely loud and violent. Everything you shoot explodes, most of your inventory consists of different kinds of explosives, and the primary objective right out the gate? Blow something up.

Scientists run around and surrender, but there's no penalty for killing them, and due to how money works in this game, it's to your benefit to kill absolutely everything and loot the corpses. Morals are for named protagonists.

I did some reading ahead and unfortunately I couldn't tell you which of these are from No Remorse and which are from the sequel, No Regret, but at some point The Silencer can use a flamethrower, a freeze gun (that then shatters dudes into pieces), and a disintegration beam, among more conventional weapons. The Silencer also gets a few subweapons in his inventory, my favorite of which is the spider bomb. Once you drop it, it'll walk in the direction you aim until it hits something or you detonate it.

Throughout the levels are teleporters that additional troops will rush through in an effort to stop you. You can sometimes take these yourself, and then lay waste to all the dudes hanging out wherever it takes you. One time this took me to a place with a computer terminal, and using that terminal let me control a mech with a giant machine gun. It was majestic.

As far as actual gameplay structure, it's actually more along the lines of classic shooters than any typical isometric title. You go through, find the keycards, reach an exit, and keep going like that until an FMV plays and you get to buy stuff from a shop with all the money you took off the people you murdered silenced.

The main hurdle is the controls. While a mouse is supported, it's actually the most cumbersome way to play, I find. You'll be better off using the "alternate numpad" mode, from what I've found. Hitting numlock changes the keys so that 4, 5 and 6 rotate, 7 and 9 roll (8 moves forward), and 1, 2 and 3 sidestep. Keypad 0 fires your gun, and the rest of the pad handles inventory and "using" things.

There are some other oddities, but I wouldn't call them issues. If anything, they are part of the games charm. There's not a traditional game over, you simply hear "Silencer defeated" over a loudspeaker, and the game goes on without you. The only way to actually resume play is to hit esc and load a save.

I'm sure someone else has written about this game, possibly the series, before, but I felt compelled to do so after having as much fun with it as I am. I went out of my way to look into the series history as a result of all this, even watching the mock-up gameplay for a proposed PSP game that never happened. Very few games inspire that kind of reaction in me.

It's okay.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

On an unrelated note, I've started playing Populous: The Beginning, and uh, I managed to get it working with dgVoodoo but I'm getting some really odd frame stutters that make the game kind of lovely to play. There is absolutely no way in hell my computer is too old to run the game. Is there a fix, or does the game just run at a weird framerate or something?

New page, so I'll ask this again, because seriously :wtc:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I was thinking of starting up Baldur's Gate (the original), but I'd heard there are some mods for it to make it a better experience in TYOOL 2017. Could anyone enlighten me on what I should be looking into?

On a related note, should I just skip the original version and get the Enhanced Edition, or are the two games different enough that they're worth two separate playthroughs?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Jamesman posted:

I was thinking of starting up Baldur's Gate (the original), but I'd heard there are some mods for it to make it a better experience in TYOOL 2017. Could anyone enlighten me on what I should be looking into?

On a related note, should I just skip the original version and get the Enhanced Edition, or are the two games different enough that they're worth two separate playthroughs?

The one I used most was BG1TuTu, which is essentially a Baldur's Gate 2 install with the assets and maps of BG1 transplanted in. All the good parts of the better engine, none of the homey features of the old one like yawningly slow walk speed and shields that look like they make sense. The other big one was Baldur's Gate Trilogy, which was mainly an effort to bridge the understandable, but still abrupt jump cut between BG1+TotSC ending and BG2 starting, but ended up doing the same thing with the engine and all. Tried that one too, found no bugs or other flaws in either.

EE didn't have anything fancier than some extra party member options to my recall. The first reaction in the forums to its release was pretty much a "that's it?" I say unless you're looking to Baldur down the tablet PC lane, you're better off with the originals. Should save you money, too.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

scamtank posted:

EE didn't have anything fancier than some extra party member options to my recall. The first reaction in the forums to its release was pretty much a "that's it?" I say unless you're looking to Baldur down the tablet PC lane, you're better off with the originals. Should save you money, too.

Well 1&2 EE are like $13 together, so I'm not concerned about the price. If it's faithful to the originals with only a little extra content, I'm totally OK with that.

I'm going into these games totally blind, so no nostalgia to be had. If the 20-year-old games are the better versions (with a few mods maybe), then so be it. But if I would enjoy the EE more, I'm totally prepared to lay down some lunch money for them. That's why GOG is so wonderful/horrible.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jamesman posted:

Well 1&2 EE are like $13 together, so I'm not concerned about the price. If it's faithful to the originals with only a little extra content, I'm totally OK with that.

I'm going into these games totally blind, so no nostalgia to be had. If the 20-year-old games are the better versions (with a few mods maybe), then so be it. But if I would enjoy the EE more, I'm totally prepared to lay down some lunch money for them. That's why GOG is so wonderful/horrible.

Go with the EE, I don't think you need any mods for a first time playthough, the only must have was a fix pack that's been incorporated in the EE version. There's a tweak pack but it's not really mandatory and if you've never played the game you wouldn't have any idea what you'd want to tweak.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Try the GOG forums, there are often people with eclectic setups trying to get games to run.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

kingturnip posted:

Try the GOG forums, there are often people with eclectic setups trying to get games to run.

My go-to for playing GoG titles that still don't like modern hardware (eg; Starship Titanic) is to fire it up on my 2-in-1 Laptop with its onboard graphics card. Chances are it'll generally run fine.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Can't help you I'm afraid, but I recently noticed something similar with Thief Deadly Shadows. Some areas in the game with lots of lighting brings the frame rate down to single digits. Pretty sure my PC would have been at least top-of-the-line back when the game was released.

I think 3D games are just harder to move between older and newer hardware.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Jamesman posted:

Get the EE versions. The original versions have bugs that not even unofficial patches managed to unfuck fully but the EE versions fixed (like Jaheira's Romance in 2) and have some nice quality of life features that could be implemented by mods for the original versions, but are a pain to install. If you don't like the new content and additions of the EE versions, they're easily ignorable. Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition is also the only way to play the Siege of Dragonspear expansion set between the first two games if that's your thing.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Seige of Dragonspear seems to have terrible reviews on GOG, so I'll hold off on that until I look further into it and see what exactly the complaints are, but I went and got the EE of both Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, so thank you for the info.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

siege is good, it's all idiots who also hate the enhanced editions because they're can't understand why anyone would touch their precious BG1, which is perfect with 808102381302 mods by the way. it's 99% people complaining about patch 2.0 for BG1 which got again patched to add in options they complained about.

play bg1 and if at the end of it you're like "hell yeah I'm hyped as hell" get dragonspear, it flows from BG1ee v easily and goes into BG2ee v easily

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

There are few things as awesome as playing BG1 and the expansions, then pulling your char into BG2 and going through that and the expansions. Same char, hundreds of hours.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?

The guy with the Crusader avatar saying this really makes me wary about how the rest of this game is going to play out.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sdoots posted:

The guy with the Crusader avatar saying this really makes me wary about how the rest of this game is going to play out.

But that's Boba Fett?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

siege is good, it's all idiots who also hate the enhanced editions because they're can't understand why anyone would touch their precious BG1, which is perfect with 808102381302 mods by the way. it's 99% people complaining about patch 2.0 for BG1 which got again patched to add in options they complained about.

play bg1 and if at the end of it you're like "hell yeah I'm hyped as hell" get dragonspear, it flows from BG1ee v easily and goes into BG2ee v easily

Looking through the reviews, I'm seeing things about bugs and crashes, and the game railroading you into playing the way it wants you to. Also this is apparently THAT game where there's a transgender character and people freaked the gently caress out.

Since the expansion alone costs more than both games combined did, I won't feel too bad about skipping it if it's legitimately not good. If I do get sucked into this world though, then I might be willing to take a chance if the price drops a little more.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

they took out the one really bad joke they had in there and i never crashed once or saw any weird bugs and I played day 1 :shrug:

play through bg1 and if you want more bg1 get dragonspear, if you feel like you're getting tired of bg go directly to bg2

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Jamesman posted:

Looking through the reviews, I'm seeing things about bugs and crashes, and the game railroading you into playing the way it wants you to. Also this is apparently THAT game where there's a transgender character and people freaked the gently caress out.

Since the expansion alone costs more than both games combined did, I won't feel too bad about skipping it if it's legitimately not good. If I do get sucked into this world though, then I might be willing to take a chance if the price drops a little more.

The bugs and crashes have more or less been fixed now and the railroading only really happens near the end of the expansion sadly, but it happens because it has to lead directly into Baldur's Gate 2. That's kind of the problem when making an interquel set between games that came out 15+ years ago.

Also yeah, a lot of the complaints were because there was a transgender character in the game and they're just being assholes about it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Adventures of Willy Beamish!

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

gently caress YES

E: GIve me the Conquests games goddamn it

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 2, 2017

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I really wish they had all the old apogee/3d realms games

gog doesn't feel complete without keen 1-6 and mystic towers

mystic loving towers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYQhQRPLFmA&t=60s

best music in any apogee game not even loving close

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

Feels crazy to see that for some reason...

When I was in grade 4 or 5 I did a project on computers. The project consisted of setting up a giant full-size computer and taking the metal case off so you could see inside. Meanwhile, I had Willy Beamish running on the system. It was a huge magnet, basically every kid wanted to just watch/play the game to the point that the teachers had me shut the system down.

Anyway, not sure if the game is actually good, but man did I love it back in the day. I seem to remember thinking the manual was cool, I believe it was fabricated to look like a beat up school notebook and had coffee stains on it etc.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Harsh but fair.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Never actually played this game but :sbahj: older games had no qualms about icing your child character.

Reminds me of some of the death scenes from Heart of Darkness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYyZfME5XYY

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

I played this when I was 12 or so and it never occurred to me that depicting adults murdering children in a video game is some pretty harsh poo poo.

I wonder what this would be rated now.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Why does the chest have tubes connected to it

Why is he in a chest at all

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

ymgve posted:

Why does the chest have tubes connected to it

You've never seen those fishtank decorations with the chest that occasionally opens and burps out air?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoYRcfaoeGc

edit - replaced with a better example

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

ymgve posted:

Because Sierra games kill you in thousands of arbitrary ways, because negative reinforcement is the best teacher

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Willy Beamish is really weird in that on the surface it's seems like it's a game meant for kids, but it's really not. Death sequences aside, there's a bit of risque content throughout the game, and some references I don't think younger audiences would get (ex. the villain, Leona Humpford, is based on Leona Helmsly).

I originally played it through GameTap, and one of the things that I think really bogs the game down is that you're always on timer. I think the game takes place across three/four days, and you only have a set amount of time to do everything. It's the kind of game where you don't really feel comfortable taking the time to explore.

I'm curious if GOG included both the CD & floppy disk versions, since there are some differences between the two. There was also a port to the Sega CD that changed some stuff and added a little mini-game. I also wonder if this means we'll get the other adventures by Dynamix (Rise of the Dragon and Heart of China.)

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Played it to death because it was to only game I had, but even as a 10yr old I found Willy Beamish to be such an odd game. Branching-ish decisions that are never particularly rewarding to make. Weird blend of adult themes in a kids game. From memory there is a day timer so taking your time to explore just gives a mild irritation / fear of missing out of content

Interesting concept though. I think the idea was to give as much replay value as possible, where you could make slightly different decisions and see what the consequences are.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sdoots posted:

Crusader loving rules.

If you enjoy Crusader, definitely grab Brigador if you haven't already. If you've been playing Crusader, you've already got the tank controls down, which are the biggest stumbling block for people getting into Brigador.

Also, so much poo poo explodes in Brigador. It's amazing. You can Kool-Aid Man your mech through a wall and light up a cluster of dudes with a GAU-8 and banned chemical weapons.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

mystic loving towers

I only had the demo with two towers and I played that so much. Me want. :stwoon:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

mystic loving towers

Can't you buy the 3D Realms Anthology again, or is it still unavailable for sale? I remember getting it on Bundle Stars or something right before they pulled it from sale for whatever reason, but I thought I saw it for sale again somewhere.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

If you enjoy Crusader, definitely grab Brigador if you haven't already. If you've been playing Crusader, you've already got the tank controls down, which are the biggest stumbling block for people getting into Brigador.

I have been eyeing Brigador, and this just makes me want it more, since I am still a death machine in Crusader despite playing it years ago.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Twobirds posted:

I have been eyeing Brigador, and this just makes me want it more, since I am still a death machine in Crusader despite playing it years ago.

Seriously one of my favorite games of last year. It's like the 20 year old games GOG used to specialize in, but with an easier UI. It reminds me of something i would have bought at Babbidge's in a giant cardboard box with a robot on the cover.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Jeez, Willy Beamish came outta nowhere

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
They seem to be posting more of the Activision back catalog, which is fine by me. There's a handful of old Sierra games I'd still love to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Also, so much poo poo explodes in Brigador. It's amazing. You can Kool-Aid Man your mech through a wall and light up a cluster of dudes with a GAU-8 and banned chemical weapons.

Everything in this post is extremely my poo poo.